Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/18/2024 5:31:27 PM EDT
I ask because it seems as if dino oil is getting harder to find.
Used Penzoil 10w-30 in the old truck since 1994, then last year I switched to Valvoline because I couldn't find non synth Penzoil.
Today I bought Quaker State because I couldn't find Valvoline.
Anyway, is there any truth to synth causing oil leaks, or in my case, worse oil leaks? (old Dakota has always had a slight oil leak)
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't it a seal issue? Gaskets, seals all break down over time.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#2]
A very small maybe.

Don’t think there has been any straight conventional oil on the market for awhile. Think they are all to some degree synthetic blends.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Synthethic gets into tighter places better so if there is a small leak the oil will find it.
Do you have a Napa near you? Their  Brand oil is made by Valvoline and is good stuff, both convential and synthethic.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#4]
you can get a semi syn. high mileage oil that will help with swollen seals/gaskets.

if the car is a flat tappett style you might need a zddp additive.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Anyway, is there any truth to synth causing oil leaks, or in my case, worse oil leaks? (old Dakota has always had a slight oil leak)
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  If your car is over 100,000 miles then it's eventually going to pop a leak somewhere.

99% of them are just inconveniences you can live with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  If your car is over 100,000 miles then it's eventually going to pop a leak somewhere.

99% of them are just inconveniences you can live with.
View Quote

That's where I was gonna go...

My last truck, over 300K miles and had a rear main seal leak that I took to get fixed and they couldn't fix it (well, they were a shitty shop that I helped get shut down )
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
If you were worried about oil being hard to find, perhaps you should buy a whole bunch..
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Mobil one makes synthetic high mileage oil thats supposed to help stop leaking seals.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My 23 year old Miata has zero leaks with 107K miles. Full syn last 16 years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Usually a myth.

In a rare/exceptional case if your engine is significantly slugged inside and the sludge is the only thing plugging holes in already failed seals, then maybe a synthetic made from a PAO, Alkylated  Naphthaline and Ester blend could result in cleaning the inside well enough to expose already failed gaskets and seals.

If you've been changing the oil regularly, and are not experiencing leaks already, you’re good.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If you had some barn-find AMC Javelin from the 60s maybe but otherwise there’s basically no concern. And that isn’t due to old seals it’s due to larger tolerances in manufacturing and less thermal efficiency in the materials used.

Just don’t mix synthetic and conventional. You can switch back and forth all you feel like just keep it all synth or dino in one fill. You could mix if you had to but it isn’t generally a good idea as they can have different shear points and such.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I know this isn't what you asked exactly...

...the Castrol GTX 10w30 I've been getting from wally world is regular conventional oil.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#16]
159K on my Tacoma, have used full synthetic from day 1, no leaks. Hyundai Elantra, 179K, but only about 30K on the reman engine. My fault, didn't replace the timing chain when I was supposed to. But the old engine never leaked, neither does this one. Full synthetic from day 1.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
The way I understand is that synth flows easier than dino, so it might leak a tiny bit more thru an existing leak.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a 2006 Pilot that called for 5-30 conventional.

Moved it over to synthetic and it leaked a little.

Moved it back to conventional and the leak was gone.

Used full synthetic with 1/3qt of Lucas Engine Oil Stop leak per oil change.  No leaks.

My experience FWIW.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hi-mileage synthetic has an additive package that helps swell seals, ostensibly reducing or eliminating leaks.

I have 5 vehicles with over 100k miles, not a single one one drips oil on my garage/driveway.
View Quote

(4) here, and same. Under my ownership (3) of the (4) have had rear crank/cover seals & oil pan gaskets replaced. (1) has had the front crank/cover seals replaced. (2) have had the valve cover gaskets replaced, the third will get done when the weather warms up...

...oh, and (1) of those^ + the fifth had a leaky transmission/ transfer case output shaft seal
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

(4) here, and same. Under my ownership (3) of the (4) have had rear crank/cover seals & oil pan gaskets replaced. (1) has had the front crank/cover seals replaced. (2) have had the valve cover gaskets replaced, the third will get done when the weather warms up...

...oh, and (1) of those^ + the fifth had a leaky transmission/ transfer case output shaft seal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi-mileage synthetic has an additive package that helps swell seals, ostensibly reducing or eliminating leaks.

I have 5 vehicles with over 100k miles, not a single one one drips oil on my garage/driveway.

ETA: Old rubbers leak...

Real ETA: Whoops, meant to edit...
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ETA: Old rubbers leak...

View Quote

LoL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Supposedly,  if you run conventional oil for long time and then switch to synthetic after high mileage  you might have a leak
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes

Edit to add. It was worse with the older cars. If it has a carburetor, don’t do it. Newer stuff with one piece main seals and non cork or paper gaskets, does a lot better. But I don’t recommend it if it’s high mileage.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't overthink this, an oil LEAK is just an inexpensive, slow-motion OIL Change.
Top up the oil level as required, slap a new filter on every year or so, and drive on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#26]
fuckin' a, dood.

came here to @ you.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
fuckin' a, dood.

came here to @ you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
fuckin' a, dood.

came here to @ you.

I gotta let the wrong answers go for a bit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuckin' a, dood.

came here to @ you.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#29]
No, that is some stupid internet Mechanic bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:58:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Gee Dee:  where the dumbest motherfuckers in the world argue with the smartest people on the planet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Don’t know about cars but this is 100% true with Harleys

I won’t use synthetic oil at my shop in any bike made before 2000

Evos, Shovelheads, Panheads, they all have fiber gaskets unless they’ve been upgraded

Synthetic oil likes to creep out of those gaskets, once that happens you can’t stop it and switching back to conventional oil won’t help - once the seal has been compromised it will continue to leak

The newer bikes have o-rings at the base of the cylinders and the rest of the gaskets are silicone coated metal Cometic gaskets, you can put synthetic in those bikes without any issues
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#32]
It turned me into a Newt!

I switched to all synthetic on my vehicles a while back. Any oil leaks can be attributed to age.

For example, my 05 4Runner is starting to leak around the valve covers a bit.  But it has 283,000 miles on it. I'll replace the gaskets this spring.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I think it’s the high mileage blends in certain vehicles, synthetic itself not so much.

If you have leaks the high mileage blends can help, if you don’t, it can sometimes start them. They have seal swelling agents in them, but really it’s pretty rare to actually cause anything negative
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#34]
203,000 mikes, 38 year old Nissan Hardbody. I have run Castrol Edge full synthetic with zero issues for over a decade.

Lifters are starting to make noise but that's an issue with that motor.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Mobil one makes synthetic high mileage oil thats supposed to help stop leaking seals.

View Quote

They make V-twin synthetic, too, in part to help bikers get over the common belief that synthetics caused bearings to slide, instead of spin.

I read 797hp's comment, but I ran dino for the first six months, then switched to synthetic in my '95 Softail and it still wasn't leaking when I sold it 15 years later. Maybe luck...I knew lots of guys who absolutely refused to use it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Stores around me still have Castrol conventional oil.

Amazon Product
  • For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner\u2019s manual.

Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#38]
No. I have over a million miles over several Toyotas with zero oil leaks. Power steering and shocks eventually seep but non have ever dripped. Not exactly what you asked but worthy of recognition.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They make V-twin synthetic, too, in part to help bikers get over the common belief that synthetics caused bearings to slide, instead of spin.

I read 797hp's comment, but I ran dino for the first six months, then switched to synthetic in my '95 Softail and it still wasn't leaking when I sold it 15 years later. Maybe luck...I knew lots of guys who absolutely refused to use it.
View Quote

Doesn’t happen to all of them but I’ve seen it happen pretty often

There’s an Amsoil rep that comes by my shop all the time, he claims Harley puts additives in their Syn3 oil that wash away deposits that prevent fiber gaskets from leaking, which will cause a leak

Not sure if I believe him

If your Evo ever does leak and you want to continue using synthetic, you can buy the new style gaskets from Cometic for the older bikes and they won’t leak
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I ask because it seems as if dino oil is getting harder to find.
Used Penzoil 10w-30 in the old truck since 1994, then last year I switched to Valvoline because I couldn't find non synth Penzoil.
Today I bought Quaker State because I couldn't find Valvoline.
View Quote

I had a transmission gasket leak on my 911. I spoke with the tech and he said that these are pretty common, over time, due to the newer transmission fluids.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

There’s an Amsoil rep that comes by my shop all the time, he claims Harley puts additives in their Syn3 oil that wash away deposits that prevent fiber gaskets from leaking, which will cause a leak

If your Evo ever does leak and you want to continue using synthetic, you can buy the new style gaskets from Cometic for the older bikes and they won’t leak
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avon rep?

Sorry. Amsoil rep?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#42]
When synthetic first hit the streets, way back when, it had the reputation of causing leaks and that may have had some truth to it.  The problem has pretty much been corrected now.  It could be the cleaning properties of the new synthetics that break away build up and allow leaks, that would be there if the crud wasn't wiped away, to begin.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, but usually when oil type is switched and on pre 50s cars, same problem with a car not run in a long time and switching to a detergent oil
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I sold the Evo several years ago, but I'm thinking about a generator Shovel just for something to cuss at wrench on. Are they making those gaskets for the older motors? Small town in the country, would probably never see 55 mph.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No, that is some stupid internet Mechanic bullshit.
View Quote

That theory predates the internet.

If something is leaking bad enough to bother me it is not due to the oil.

It is time for me to change the seal.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Replace the seal when something is leaking bad enough.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#47]
The story used to be that is would clean the inside of the engine and wipe built up dirt and grime past the seals. Not sure if I buy it. There was push back in the truck business about converting diffs to synthetic because of the cost and supposedly causing seal leaks. What changed was manufacturer's extended the diff warranty if you ran synthetic and that made the swap easier to handle. Then everyone wanted it. That said even my old 70's tractor gets synthetic when I change fluids. I am a fan and have seen an engine saved with synthetic oil.  Quick story car went off at Road Atlanta smashed the oil pan and broke the pick up tube. It ended up on the track and he cranked it up and drove it off the track with zero oil pressure. The bearings were all good and could have been reused. We rolled in new ones anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When synthetic first hit the streets, way back when, it had the reputation of causing leaks and that may have had some truth to it.  The problem has pretty much been corrected now.  It could be the cleaning properties of the new synthetics that break away build up and allow leaks, that would be there if the crud wasn't wiped away, to begin.
View Quote

More like the snake oil sales tactic that synthetic would swell the seals and stop an engine that was leaking oil because seal softeners were known to do that. Right up until the seals failed completely and people blamed the synthetic in to turning their seals in to melted licorice.
People bought in to the magic that synthetics would stop their already leaking engines, and some even claimed that the oil was too 'clean' and cleared out the sludge inside their engines that was holding them together and caused them to leak even more. People forgot that oil EATS rubber.

Remember cork valve cover and timing cover gaskets ? How about graphite infused crankshaft seals? Even 2 piece rear main seals ? Don't forget the asbestos infused paper intake gaskets, paper water pump and thermostat gaskets.
Pepperidge farm remembers.

LOL
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#49]
What I was told is synthetic oil with high amounts of surfactant additives can dislodge or dissolve gunk that helped seal up certain spots where your seals and gaskets were already starting to fail. Is it the synthetic oil or additives causing it? No, technically it is a failing seal or gasket.

Is there any truth in what I was told? No clue, but I believe it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Usually a myth.

In a rare/exceptional case if your engine is significantly slugged inside and the sludge is the only thing plugging holes in already failed seals, then maybe a synthetic made from a PAO, Alkylated  Naphthaline and Ester blend could result in cleaning the inside well enough to expose already failed gaskets and seals.

If you've been changing the oil regularly, and are not experiencing leaks already, you’re good.
View Quote

This makes possible sense to me but I don't know. In for the entertainment and eventual correct answer.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top