Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2022 9:41:22 AM EDT
I was over Facilities Engineering at a large DOD R&D facility during the great energy crisis of 1979.

President Carter dictated that thermostats in all public buildings  be set at no higher than 65 degrees in the winter and no lower than 78 degrees in the summer. And potable hot water heaters were to be set no hotter than 105 degrees.

Link to archived news article

It created chaos and lots of complaints. We had to put lock boxes on every thermostat, and I had a key.

One lady made me a particularly "interesting" offer if I would lower her office's thermostat one summer.

What she said was, "I just want to know who in the h__l I have to f__k in order to get the thermostat turned down."

I said, "Well, I have a key . . . "

I tweaked her thermostat down a little, but I didn't take her up on her offer. In hind-sight, I probably should have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#1]
It'll be back but only because it's for your own good comrade.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That sweater wearing peanut farmer was never happier than the day Obama was elected. Now he’s even happier that Pedo Joe is in office.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably should have taken her up on that... but the temperature mandates will probably happen again... do you still have the key???
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sweater wearing peanut farmer was never happier than the day Obama was elected. Now he’s even happier that Pedo Joe is in office.
View Quote

Jimmy must thank God every day that fuckhead was elected!!!
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#5]
They put a clear plastic lockbox over the thermostats.  We used a coathanger to reach in and adjust the temperature.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They put a clear plastic lockbox over the thermostats.  We used a coathanger to reach in and adjust the temperature.  

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
AND...don't forget the national 55 MPH speed limit!

That did huge economic damage.  Big rigs had to be retrofitted with bigger engines that used more gas since they lost the momentum to maintain speed up hills.  Typical unintended consequences of Liberal mandates!

On the otherhand, it was a real revenue raiser in the form of speeding tickets.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Yikes, 78 degrees is hot in the summer. In a humid climate, it's even nastier.

I agree, one of the wetter democrat dreams is the power to control everyone's thermostats nationwide from an office in DC. They would cream their shorts over the ability to force everyone to endure 80 during the day and 88 at night. Of course, their thermostats would be set to far more comfortable temperatures. Because some animals are more equal than others.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jimmy must thank God every day that fuckhead was elected installed!!!
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Govt overreach, like 55 mph.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, and the 55mph on the interstate.
FJC, FJB.
They will go down as the worst presidents in out history.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:18:12 AM EDT
[#12]
That was nothing but more stupidity from the loony democrats.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
How was it even legal for him to dictate what temperature a public building could be set at?

Party of tyranny, then and now...
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I will never forget Carter's famous line.
We will declare war on inflation.
You need to say it with a sharp Southern drawl.

Here is Mr. Peanuts famous speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5OMCVwHi5g
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Probably should have taken her up on that... but the temperature mandates will probably happen again... do you still have the key???
View Quote

But, since everything is controlled remotely via wifi, IT or systems admin should get it done.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How was it even legal for him to dictate what temperature a public building could be set at?

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or just put an ice pack on top of the lock box.  Replace as needed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was over Facilities Engineering at a large DOD R&D facility during the great energy crisis of 1979.

President Carter dictated that thermostats in all public buildings  be set at no higher than 65 degrees in the winter and no lower than 78 degrees in the summer. And potable hot water heaters were to be set no hotter than 105 degrees.

Link to archived news article

It created chaos and lots of complaints. We had to put lock boxes on every thermostat, and I had a key.

One lady made me a particularly "interesting" offer if I would lower her office's thermostat one summer.

What she said was, "I just want to know who in the h__l I have to f__k in order to get the thermostat turned down."

I said, "Well, I have a key . . . "

I tweaked her thermostat down a little, but I didn't take her up on her offer. In hind-sight, I probably should have.
View Quote
The honest answer to her question is: Billy Carter. The brother and/or son is always the fucking bag man. All bribes go to the bag man who then gives the big guy his cut.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:27:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nod-3.gif

But, since everything is controlled remotely via wifi, IT or systems admin should get it done.
View Quote

There would be no need for a public-accessible thermostat when that becomes the case. Just a sensor in the ceiling to tell the system what the temperature is in the room. Everything else could be controlled remotely. Once the entire grid is nationalized, the government is going to demand the ability to ration electricity. I'm sure one of the ways they intend to do that is via absolute control over every thermostat. And I'm sure it won't end there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Public in this case means owned by the federal government.  Most such buildings are under the control of the executive branch, and as head of the executive branch the president can in fact make such rules for those buildings.  Stupid, but not unconstitutional.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Public in this case means owned by the federal government.  Most such buildings are under the control of the executive branch, and as head of the executive branch the president can in fact make such rules for those buildings.  Stupid, but not unconstitutional.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies, thought it was meaning buildings open to public, in the sense of grocery stores or some other places of business.

Makes complete sense now, although still ridiculous. Thank you for the clarification.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#22]
On most DOD installations users can't adjust anything now.  One central controller does it all.  The thermostats on the wall in my office are a temp sensor and have a slider on the side labeled warm/cool.  They actually do nothing at all.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes, and the 55mph on the interstate.
FJC, FJB.
They will go down as the worst presidents in out history.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Pro tip, the thermostat measures the temperature where it is, not the temperature in the whole room or office... So, if you find a way to warn the thermostat up, you can keep the rest of the office nice and cool... just sayin.

I was a kid during the whole Jimmy Carter fake energy crisis bullshit. One reason I am so skeptical of environmental alarmism is that I saw how wrong and destructive those idiots could be back during the 70s.

Anyway, Biden seems determined to out-fail Jimmy Carter... which may be the only thing Biden succeeds at. So we can look forward to more of this kind of bullshit soon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
On most DOD installations users can't adjust anything now.  One central controller does it all.  The thermostats on the wall in my office are a temp sensor and have a slider on the side labeled warm/cool.  They actually do nothing at all.
View Quote

Just put something hot under that thermostat.  Like an incandescent light bulb.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That did huge economic damage.  Big rigs had to be retrofitted with bigger engines that used more gas since they lost the momentum to maintain speed up hills.  Typical unintended consequences of Liberal mandates!

View Quote

Remember the thermostat horse shit.

Remember a ticket for 58 in a 55

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

My brother had an apartment with a lock box over the thermostat.  He'd set a bread pan full of ice cubes on top of it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My brother had an apartment with a lock box over the thermostat.  He'd set a bread pan full of ice cubes on top of it.
View Quote

That is awesome.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I dont know... Kinda sounds like a good idea. 95% of govt employees should be uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I remember that. They told us we could wear our jackets inside the classroom. A purple-inked mimeographed letter was sent home to parents advising them to dress their kids appropriately.

I also remember the local water provider leaving bricks on everybody’s doorstep. You were supposed to put one in each toilet tank to conserve water.

Meanwhile, I’m sure it was nice and toasty in the White House and the homes of celebrities, millionaires and other important people.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is not just DOD installations that have that. Our office medium size office building was like that. I did have one room I could cool off in if I wanted to. The computer room had two 5 ton AC units to cool about 300 sq ft. One hot august day, I got a low temperature alarm from the computer room. The low temperature alarm was set at 55°. It was in the mid 90s out side. Some of the servers were not installed yet and we only needed one AC unit for the load. The AC had reheat but it wasn’t set right.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#32]
The Carter administration was also working to reduce natural gas use and encourage the use of coal.

My father traveled to Washington trying to permit a project at one of the worlds largest polymer plants to reduce natural gas use by firing cracking furnaces with waste gas that was being flared instead of natural gas.

The EPA wouldn't allow a new project that burned gas, so the waste gas was burned in the flare and the furnaces continued to burn natural gas as they had all along

Dad was disgusted that the Carter EPA had virtually no competent employees.  The group the plan was presented to didn't know what a BTU was.   When he eventually ran across someone at the EPA who was almost marginally competent, all that guy wanted to talk about was how he could get a job with an oil company and leave the EPA.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#33]
I was a grad assistant working for the Dean of Agriculture at Texas A&M - College Station when the Carter mandates came out.  The Prez said ditch the ties on hot days.  The Dean told us that not wearing a tie was the same thing as quitting our jobs.

I kept my job willingly.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Do it or you don't get government sugar."
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#36]
He punished Americans instead of Opec. Should have made them an offer they couldn't refuse. There were also ships stacked up off the ports full of oil so that was wierd.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Already noted on the ice thing, but a bag of water heated in the microwave works just fine for AC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just put something hot under that thermostat.  Like an incandescent light bulb.  
View Quote

The summer isn’t the challenge. My office at 58f in the winter sure can be.

We all have illegal as hell, small space heaters. They cost way more to run than the HVAC.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#40]
I’m cool with the thermostat at 65 year round . . .
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:44:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Modern problems require stone age solutions
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember the resulting lockboxes on thermostats that resulted in that assfuck's policies.  In high school, then college, then at work.  Took years for those boxes to disappear.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Lol. Just wait until the gov adjusts the temperature of your house by accessing your "smart" thermostat. It won't seem like such a cool gadget then.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Lol. Just wait until the gov adjusts the temperature of your house by accessing your "smart" thermostat. It won't seem like such a cool gadget then.
View Quote

I predict houses in the near future won't have accessible thermostats at all. Just sensors hidden in the ducting. A nationalized grid is going to require heavy rationing, especially with all of the EVs coming on line.

I'm not sure how they plan to prevent people from using window shakers when it gets hot and Uncle Sugar refuses to turn on your a/c if you don't worship The Party as deities. That's going to be interesting to see.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

At Fort Leonard Wood it took a DPW work order to get the HVAC switched between heating and cooling.  That was fun in the bipolar spring and fall weather.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a highway engineered for 65mph or more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#47]
You guys are living one of Carters biggest legacy items and don't even realize it.  Small towns across the country converted down towns to one way streets to improve traffic flow. In some places it worked in some it did not.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You guys are living one of Carters biggest legacy items and don't even realize it.  Small towns across the country converted down towns to one way streets to improve traffic flow. In some places it worked in some it did not.
View Quote

One way streets fucking kill businesses.

The recipe for a really successful downtown involves low speed limits, narrow lanes and pedestrian access, not moving traffic around at high speed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:51:27 PM EDT
[#49]
I also remember the high pressure sodium lights forced on schools.  Trying to save power over fluorescents. They gave everything a slightly green tinge and us headeache....

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Years ago I worked at a place that had lock boxes over the Tstats. Heat was 65, AC was 80.

HVAC unit was not locked.

$15 Tstat later and life was good
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top