BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have many, many hours with a Concept 30.

Great hobby, but I haven’t flown in 20 years.
View Quote

I have always wanted a Concept 30 when they first came out.  My step mother was "absolutely hellllll no!" about me flying helicopters when I was a kid.  My dad was also anti-gun.  Guess they both failed.  

I owned an Concept SR for a short while.  It was not a great flyer, just seemed mushy.  Might have been me, might have been my setup.

I need a Concept 30.  Off to look at Ebay.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a Hirobo Shuttle, never got beyond hover. Sold it and eventually tried some eFlite machines. Have a Century size 30 Bell 222 that I have hanging from the ceiling,  not ready to ball it up anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not understand how you wizards fly those things line of sight. If I got one off the ground,  it would fly off, and probably never come back.  Now fpv quads how ever.
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I built an old Cobra .50 back in the '80's but never got to fly it. Sold it. After my divorce in 1995 I got a .46 Hirobo GPH-346. Still have it to this day but only ever got to hover it with training gear. it sits in my "man cave" on top of a bookcase to this day.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I built an old Cobra .50 back in the '80's but never got to fly it. Sold it. After my divorce in 1995 I got a .46 Hirobo GPH-346. Still have it to this day but only ever got to hover it with training gear. it sits in my "man cave" on top of a bookcase to this day.
View Quote

Funny, I bought a .90 Predator while I was separated from my first wife.  She said one of the requirements of her returning home was selling it.  

Haven't flown it in years, but it was a great investment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I placed an order for some tail motor wires for my T-Rex 150X. I'm swapping over the chassis to a CF/aluminum one and I broke a wire trying to get the connector off. Had to order it from Europe as the 150X is discontinued.
Link Posted: 5/21/2023 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got this tiny guy.
20220217_075801 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

As long as the wind is moderate it works well.

It lost the tail motor after about thirty minutes of use and the main motor came loose once. It's been flown regularly for over a year now.

It has hit powerlines and tree branches and has come out virtually unscathed.

It's actually pretty sporty for a small coreless motor, but it's definitely NOT a 3D craft.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Only cranked up the engine while setting it up controls at the end of high school. Then off to college, moving, and work so it’s been in storage ever since because I’m thinking, “some day” so it has never been flown. Recently came to the conclusion I never will fly it so I’m selling it to make room for something else.

Have a small toy Rc mini that I goof around the house with.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Only cranked up the engine while setting it up controls at the end of high school. Then off to college, moving, and work so it’s been in storage ever since because I’m thinking, “some day” so it has never been flown. Recently came to the conclusion I never will fly it so I’m selling it to make room for something else.

Have a small toy Rc mini that I goof around the house with.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465581/CD5B4075-03FB-4979-A50E-F30CF3FB7657_jpe-2844949.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/465581/ED210301-5BF4-4306-BF61-8C41DC4139FC_jpe-2844953.JPG
View Quote

I cut my teeth on a flybar TRex.  I really enjoyed learning on that thing.  No nanny electronics and you had to be on your game.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Since I haven't shared a pic here yet...my fully upgraded T-Rex 150X:

Here it is on one of my 3D printers for scale:

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been meaning to update on my progress. Best I can describe is at least when you're starting out, is 5 min of flying then a week of waiting for parts and rebuilding.

The whole flying process is hard enough but the technicals of setup and programming these helis is quite an undertaking and basically learning a whole new discipline. Sometimes it's a clusterfuck that drives me to the point of seting these godamn things on fire and throwing em out the window. Other times it's like reaching a new breakthrough of knowledge and feeling confident to begin the next step.

It's also challenging that I'm having to learn this all from watching YouTube videos when I can, reading and asking questions on the forum and FB groups.

Here's my current fleet so far -

Oxy 4 which I was able to fly for about 5 min then had a significant crash and rebuild. Now trying to fix a tail wag issue.

Attachment Attached File

Just built the Protos 380 and did the initial FBL setup but havnt maidened it yet. The Goosky S2 I maidened for about 2 min then crashed and had a boom strike. Fixed then flew again for about 6 min then lawndarted into the ground and had to order new main frame and side plate.

Attachment Attached File

The Align T15 that I had my first successful flight with and could fly pretty well and took it out the other day and either a link broke or something in the swash cause it rocketed up  locked in and could not recover, flew over some homes and I lost sight of it never to be seen again...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been meaning to update on my progress. Best I can describe is at least when you're starting out, is 5 min of flying then a week of waiting for parts and rebuilding.

The whole flying process is hard enough but the technicals of setup and programming these helis is quite an undertaking and basically learning a whole new discipline. Sometimes it's a clusterfuck that drives me to the point of seting these godamn things on fire and throwing em out the window. Other times it's like reaching a new breakthrough of knowledge and feeling confident to begin the next step.

It's also challenging that I'm having to learn this all from watching YouTube videos when I can, reading and asking questions on the forum and FB groups.

Here's my current fleet so far -

Oxy 4 which I was able to fly for about 5 min then had a significant crash and rebuild. Now trying to fix a tail wag issue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493937/20221130_161700_jpg-2845538.JPG

Just built the Protos 380 and did the initial FBL setup but havnt maidened it yet. The Goosky S2 I maidened for about 2 min then crashed and had a boom strike. Fixed then flew again for about 6 min then lawndarted into the ground and had to order new main frame and side plate.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493937/20230522_144942_jpg-2845543.JPG

The Align T15 that I had my first successful flight with and could fly pretty well and took it out the other day and either a link broke or something in the swash cause it rocketed up  locked in and could not recover, flew over some homes and I lost sight of it never to be seen again...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493937/20230503_150711_jpg-2845547.JPG
View Quote

Dude you need a trainer. When something gets out of control just cut throttle and let it fall when not under power. A lot less stuff breaks then. And also prevents stuff from flying over houses.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 12:34:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dude you need a trainer. When something gets out of control just cut throttle and let it fall when not under power. A lot less stuff breaks then. And also prevents stuff from flying over houses.
View Quote

Are you talking a Sim or actual skilled flyer hooked into my Tx? I have about 45 hrs on a sim. I need to build up my muscle memory on the sticks for sure. Shit just happens so quick that I go into oh shit mode and start banging the sticks. Lol
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I started out on this Walkera 5G6 Metal and have also been enjoying that Hubsan X4 for several years. The former was sold for parts as a motor died without replacement and the latter finally needed blades after all this time.
20180101_231838 by Slick_Rick77, on Flickr

I'd love to get a micro collective pitch, but the run times really suck. 2-5 minutes seems the norm. The lighter ones seem to do a little better.

My little Eachine E119 will fly for 10-12 minutes, which is really nice. It's really slow to climb and is limited in pitch and yaw, which is a little annoying.

This is tempting...an XK K124

It's 3D capable...but with that heavy body isn't really an ideal stunt machine. I just want something that is a bit more responsive.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#15]
NVM.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I flew when i was teenager ( like in the 80s )
Started on a " fixed pitched bitch " Cricket.
Stopped when I could not get parts for my GMP Legend fly-barless.
In fact I still have that Legend and a Cobra in the attic somewhere.
My advise, get a sim.
I could have saved a ton of money if such technology was available back then.
Also fight the temptation to chop the throttle when things go sideways, boom strikes will follow.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I found that if I took a bunch of $20 bills, lit them on fire, and threw them up in the air, that they would fly longer than an RC helicopter.

Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found that if I took a bunch of $20 bills, lit them on fire, and threw them up in the air, that they would fly longer than an RC helicopter.  

View Quote

A simulator goes a long way to help that.

I learned helicopters via Realflight G2 a long, LONG time ago. Probably 10 hours or so was all I needed to be confident to fly the real thing.

I now have hundreds of flights on my real birds with only 1 crash because I got overly confident trying 3D and I got a little close to a neighbor's car so decided to ditch it in the yard instead. Stripped a tail gear and I replaced the main blades out of caution. Total repair bill was $18.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Very short maiden of my latest Blade 230s Smart converted into a MD500E.  This makes 4 Blade 230s that I've converted into a scale type heli now.

Blade 230s Conversion to 250 Size MD500e Maiden Test Flight
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Trex 450 SEV2 x2 both converted to flybarless spectrum 6250
Blad3 fusion 480
Trex 600 esp converted to flybarless with spektrum 6250
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a Horizon 60 that needs a new home.  1980 vintage.   Like this but not nearly as pretty

Horizon 60

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very short maiden of my latest Blade 230s Smart converted into a MD500E.  This makes 4 Blade 230s that I've converted into a scale type heli now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCVh9b9i0z4
View Quote

Awesome ??
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Duped myself
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#28]
A long time ago when I was in college, I used my extra money from jobs beyond what I needed for school, and bought a Gorham Model Products Cobra.  The shop was around Butler Pa, not bad for something that was a big national product  right here in western Pa.  It was a .46 sized heli.   Bought a nice futable gold fm radio, got a tuned pipe, and other stuff being made for it out of RCModeler magazine
I was never able to even get it to do a stable hover.   Sold it years later at an RC swap meet for a fraction of what I paid.
This was long before the internet where you could find easy help, and I didnt know anyone else around who could help.  The local RC club was no help.   If it wasn't a falcon 56 those old curmudgeons just sneered.   And the GMP heli shop closed up before I got done with college.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A long time ago when I was in college, I used my extra money from jobs beyond what I needed for school, and bought a Gorham Model Products Cobra.  The shop was around Butler Pa, not bad for something that was a big national product  right here in western Pa.  It was a .46 sized heli.   Bought a nice futable gold fm radio, got a tuned pipe, and other stuff being made for it out of RCModeler magazine
I was never able to even get it to do a stable hover.   Sold it years later at an RC swap meet for a fraction of what I paid.
This was long before the internet where you could find easy help, and I didnt know anyone else around who could help.  The local RC club was no help.   If it wasn't a falcon 56 those old curmudgeons just sneered.   And the GMP heli shop closed up before I got done with college.
View Quote

I had micro CP helis all the way to a few 700 class.  I enjoyed flying and tinkering, but it's just not as much fun without a partner or group to fly with.

A) You can share knowledge.  Learn from each other's mistakes.

B) Having quick access to spare parts helps a lot.

C) Being able to take a break between flights and watch your buddies fly pays dividends.  I always needed a break after a 4 minute flight; my heart rate would increase exponentially if I were trying something new.  

My sole flying partner hung it up.  His eyesight was failing him and I think the steep learning curve did him in.  After he quit, I flew a few more months and then traded most of my stuff away.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's an OS 50 Max IIRC. I'll get it freed up. It's all out in my truck right now so I have to make room

in the house to bring it in. I live in a giant "man cave" that's full of hobby stuff.

Radio/electronics equipment, guitar/bass amps, synths etc..

I looked at the copter after I got it and found the main gear was missing some teeth.

Hopped online expecting to find a new one easily. No joy. I was pretty bummed out so

I started looking through the boxes of parts/accessories and found two brand new

main gears!

In with all this stuff is the complete manual with all the build instructions and setup.

This copter also has a gyro which is pretty cool for as old as it is.

I'll get it freed up and replace the main gear and get it running. Flying it is another

matter though.
View Quote

Hey now, an NX50 is one of the newer helicopters I have.  Not all that old, they followed the Century Raven series.  

Great flying birds.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]
A few weeks back Horizon Hobby had what we think was a glitch in there system and had RTF Blade 230s Helicopters listed at $94.01.  A lot of us jumped on that deal and HH delivered!  I still had a orange Hughes 300 kit I took off in place of the white so now it has a place to go.  Mine was only $89 since I had $5 in points to use as well so smoking deal!!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Here's a video I made that sheds some light on where I'm at. Still struggling with my 380-400 size helis. Just tried again with my Oxy4 and there's some issue with getting the tail gain right. I keep getting conflicting info on how to set it properly either with the Transmitter or FBL. I got it to hover but have no rudder control and had to dump it quick.

Can't say enough good things about the Goosky S2 though. I fly it all the time and have even been able to pull off some tricks with it lately. Going to sell off my other Helis I think and pick up another S2 and possibly an RS4 or the new S1 which just came out.

Thoughts & struggles so far in my Heli journey.

Here's a vid of flying my S2. Going to get an action cam so I can track it while flying.

Link Posted: 8/22/2023 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Well guys.... she's finally airborne. Spent a couple hours last night going over the setup, trying to get the servos centered and arms as close to 90 as possible. Setting the pitch, resetting the pitch. Trying different settings in the FBL. Still off by .5° in my collective pitch and about 1° in cyclic pitch for some reason. Been fighting with this fuckin Heli for months and almost gave up more than a few times. Perseverance finally paid off.

Link Posted: 8/23/2023 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well guys.... she's finally airborne. Spent a couple hours last night going over the setup, trying to get the servos centered and arms as close to 90 as possible. Setting the pitch, resetting the pitch. Trying different settings in the FBL. Still off by .5° in my collective pitch and about 1° in cyclic pitch for some reason. Been fighting with this fuckin Heli for months and almost gave up more than a few times. Perseverance finally paid off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ej6p72z9aU
View Quote

Coming along!  

"Proper mechanical setup" seems to have lost favor as better electronics have taken over.  However, this seems to be a key to making a really good flying helicopter.  Having said that, 400 sized helicopters are just a challenge to fly.

Two possible ideas.  You might try some old school training gear as it will make things a little safer on the grass.  A couple of carbon tubes or dowels and ping pong balls.  Also, you can flatten the curve a bit around hover to make it a little easier.  It takes the matchiness out of hover or being close to hover.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Coming along!  

"Proper mechanical setup" seems to have lost favor as better electronics have taken over.  However, this seems to be a key to making a really good flying helicopter.  Having said that, 400 sized helicopters are just a challenge to fly.

Two possible ideas.  You might try some old school training gear as it will make things a little safer on the grass.  A couple of carbon tubes or dowels and ping pong balls.  Also, you can flatten the curve a bit around hover to make it a little easier.  It takes the matchiness out of hover or being close to hover.
View Quote

Ehhh, he can hover needs to get out of ground effect tho..
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought for sure it was going straight into the string lights.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top