Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There are a few. And always something to work on.

Apartment life has me beat there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/3181F117-CC8B-4FCC-975F-12E29AC5325D_jpe-2375976.JPG
View Quote

Dude. Don’t listen to the haters. You are doing shit right.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That must have been one hell of a raise to be worth living in town, especially an apartment for.

They’d have to probably quadruple my wage to get me to do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new employer did agree to pay my moving costs.  I just miss having my own house with my own yard.

That must have been one hell of a raise to be worth living in town, especially an apartment for.

They’d have to probably quadruple my wage to get me to do that.

I'm 3.5 hours away from where I used to live.  Complete change of scenery, and I'm selling my house for 180% of what I paid.  Next summer, once prices have  settled down somewhat, I'll buy another one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not necessarily just the costs it's just having to organize and box etc.

I guess gives you an opportunity to reduce clutter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The new employer did agree to pay my moving costs.  I just miss having my own house with my own yard.

Not necessarily just the costs it's just having to organize and box etc.

I guess gives you an opportunity to reduce clutter.

I think this is the best part.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone's Upstairs Neighbors
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lol.  Last apartment I lived in had a couple move in across the hall.  Too many DV incidents to count.
View Quote

DV is domestic violence?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Rental apartments are for poors

We all live in 1M+ homes here
View Quote

Some apartments are expensive.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I enjoy it. I’m within a 15 minute walk of almost anything I need. Grocery store, bars, movie theater, coffee, friends, family, all kind of shops. My brother and a few friends live out in the boonies in comparison. Driving for 10-15 minutes to do anything sounds like a sad, dependent life. Hell, my car could explode today and my life would not significantly change.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Why is there a furnace blower on your roof?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a few. And always something to work on.

Apartment life has me beat there.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/3181F117-CC8B-4FCC-975F-12E29AC5325D_jpe-2375976.JPG
Why is there a furnace blower on your roof?

That’s a swamp cooler
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I enjoy it. I’m within a 15 minute walk of almost anything I need. Grocery store, bars, movie theater, coffee, friends, family, all kind of shops. My brother and a few friends live out in the boonies in comparison. Driving for 10-15 minutes to do anything sounds like a sad, dependent life. Hell, my car could explode today and my life would not significantly change.
View Quote

nice to live close to good food and entertainment but 10-15 minute drive being sad and dependent is a weird take.

I live in apartments right up into my early 40's, with a few house rentals throughout the years.  Now I've got a decent house with a garage and a nice yard and all that.  It's certainly more work to have a house but I take pride in ownership.  I was living in NYC for a number of years and my wife and I are glad we got out when we did.  we'd have been stuck in a small apartment through the covid debacle, no thanks!
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And always something to work on.
View Quote
This is what I'm learning (and learning to really not like) about home ownership.
I'm not a Hank Hill-type. I don't enjoy working on my home, and I really don't enjoy paying someone else to.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Only time I've lived in apartment in the last 30 years the company paid for it and was for only 2 months. Very very non minority suburb just outside San Antonio not in Bexar county. Very quiet, overlooked a lot of land and watched the deer a lot. Lot of people there were air force officers for short term stuff or contractors. The minimum income they required to live there I imagine kept out a lot of trash. That and it was gated and had armed security at the gate 24/7.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Upstairs neighbors.
View Quote

Yup. We have rhinos living upstairs and management refuses to do anything about it, except for us to move when our lease expires....
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:56:31 AM EDT
[#15]
It's been a solid 15 years since I had upstairs neighbors.

Never again.

Hope the move was worth it, OP.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the difference between walking for fifteen minutes and driving for fifteen minutes to get where you need to go?  It's still fifteen minutes out of your life and it's not like those fifteen minutes of walking are going to count as exercise.  I like having a house.  I like being able to change out the fixtures to whatever I want.  I like being able to paint the walls whatever color I want.  I like having a fenced-in yard that I can walk outside and take a piss on if I want.  I like the idea that I'm actually storing up wealth that my daughter will inherit.   Rent on this apartment is actually double what my mortgage payment was.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a minimalist. I can move out in two days upon notice. I can do it in one day with a triple shot of Expresso.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last apartment I lived in was $2150 a month. It was mostly families and retirees.  The whole building was poured concrete and dead nuts quiet.  They had a concierge and a guest suite.

I still wouldn’t do it again.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Yes, it does. I said that 3 years ago, and now renewed for another year. COVID has really screwed up the ability to have a decent house built.

Only, the upside is walking distance to restaurants and brewerys.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The last apartment I lived in was $2150 a month. It was mostly families and retirees.  The whole building was poured concrete and dead nuts quiet.  They had a concierge and a guest suite.
View Quote
The last aparment I lived in was the same, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:10:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Apartment life is great for a young guy that doesn't mind a noisy drunk neighbor or two. For me, it was better than living in the frat house! But, I guess it depends on the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
We were in one for I guess a year or less right after we got married. Looking back I think we were prolly "those neighbors". Screaming sex, loud music on the weekends. Hell, our hours were nuts during the week, getting in close to 10 or 11 every night. And cats (nuff said?). Whoa that brings back a lot of cool memories.
View Quote
I think back to those days, and it seems so surreal. Sex anywhere and everywhere in the apartment at any time, lol. Livingroom floor? No problem. Kitchen? Bring it...These days just confining ourselves to the bedroom is still gonna traumatize at least one of our children - can't seem to get 5 minutes alone in the house.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Having lived in an apartment for the last 2 years in SoCal, and 4 years in NYC before that for work is that I appreciate my home on the river more.
California was alright because it was a gated community,  with mostly younger families.
NYC was interesting because I was the token white guy for 10 blocks,  no issues and the locals were actually quite sociable in a positive way.
I just don't like dealing with people that close to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's nearly twice my mortgage payment.

That said, it's not like houses aren't still selling for stupid prices.  If you want out of your house, sell it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never really figured out the difference between a condo and an apartment. You can rent a condo (at least around here), so WTF?

The condo across the commons from us is going for $4,500 a month, with a four month minimum. It's almost never vacant.
The HOA dues are extortionate, but at a certain age leaving the painting, grounds and snow shoveling to someone else is bliss.
View Quote

A condo is a similar to an apartment, but you own the unit and an undivided shared interest in the common spaces.  The Condominium Owners’ Association fees pays for trash, landscaping, snow removal, and maintenance of the common areas like the roof, parking lot, club house, et al.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Having a landlord is the worst part of renting.
View Quote

Conversely, having a renter can be the worst part of being a landlord…
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m guessing you grew up in NYC.  

I grew up in the burbs, and now live in a city apartment.  I actually miss mowing the lawn almost as much as not having shared walls.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice apartment.  Gym, pool, clubhouse.  Set your trash outside your door and they pick it up every night and throw it away for you.  Getting a package?  They'll accept it at the manager's office and hold it for you so it doesn't disappear from in front of your door.   Decent number of college students hanging out at the pool, allowing old farts like me to surreptitiously ogle them.  But it's still just a friggin' apartment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Op is an alcoholic and smokes stinky cigars? He'd be a shitty neighbor.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#30]

I didn't mind it all in my 20's as a single young man. A lot of good memories from that period, especially late nights at the pool. Couldn't do it now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Op is an alcoholic and smokes stinky cigars? He'd be a shitty neighbor.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

BEING a landlord is the worst part of renting...
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice apartment.  Gym, pool, clubhouse.  Set your trash outside your door and they pick it up every night and throw it away for you.  Getting a package? They'll accept it at the manager's office and hold it for you so it doesn't disappear from in front of your door. Decent number of college students hanging out at the pool, allowing old farts like me to surreptitiously ogle them. But it's still just a friggin' apartment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What's the difference between walking for fifteen minutes and driving for fifteen minutes to get where you need to go?  It's still fifteen minutes out of your life and it's not like those fifteen minutes of walking are going to count as exercise.  I like having a house.  I like being able to change out the fixtures to whatever I want.  I like being able to paint the walls whatever color I want.  I like having a fenced-in yard that I can walk outside and take a piss on if I want.  I like the idea that I'm actually storing up wealth that my daughter will inherit.   Rent on this apartment is actually double what my mortgage payment was.
View Quote

A brisk walk actually does count towards the 150 minutes of suggested exercise a week.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Apartments/condos are the worst of living situations.

Noise, water leaks, parking, fees/associations, and they tend to attract the dumbest people in society.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice apartment.  Gym, pool, clubhouse.  Set your trash outside your door and they pick it up every night and throw it away for you.  Getting a package?  They'll accept it at the manager's office and hold it for you so it doesn't disappear from in front of your door.   Decent number of college students hanging out at the pool, allowing old farts like me to surreptitiously ogle them.  But it's still just a friggin' apartment.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Apartment life is great for a young guy that doesn't mind a noisy drunk neighbor or two. For me, it was better than living in the frat house! But, I guess it depends on the neighborhood.
View Quote
Don't rent an apartment in the ghetto.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I did three years in an apartment in Arlington, VA. It was OK for a short period of time and then it became awful. I like a more rural life and had to wait until I got to Texas again for that. It just takes forever to get anywhere in NOtVA. At least you only have to do a year.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:44:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That said, it's not like houses aren't still selling for stupid prices.  If you want out of your house, sell it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never lived anywhere where it was that cheap to live. Do you live in the ghetto, or in the sticks?
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I grew up in the burbs, and now live in a city apartment.  I actually miss mowing the lawn almost as much as not having shared walls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I grew up in the burbs too. I hate housework and maintenance just as much now as I did when I was a kid.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Mouth cancer and liver failure aren't much fun either.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

The only thing I miss about apt living is the easy access to all the hot chics and the pool..and hot chics. Damn, I miss that shit!
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#43]
At least you can smoke on your balcony.
Can't do that in California apartments.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:53:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never lived anywhere where it was that cheap to live. Do you live in the ghetto, or in the sticks?
View Quote
Somewhat rural but not exactly down in the holler.  Just imagine small town middle America, whatever you are imagining is probably right. Definitely not ghetto. Corn fields and cows around but my furnace doesn't run off a propane tank and I don't churn my own butter or anything.

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We were in one for I guess a year or less right after we got married. Looking back I think we were prolly "those neighbors". Screaming sex, loud music on the weekends. Hell, our hours were nuts during the week, getting in close to 10 or 11 every night. And cats (nuff said?). Whoa that brings back a lot of cool memories.
View Quote

About the screaming sex:

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:56:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Correct answer.

Neighbors will make or break you.

Dope using, loud music playing, pit bull owning clowns are tell tale signs it’s time to haul ass someplace else.
View Quote

This is the only advantage to owning a house to me, being able to play my music/movies as loud as I damn please.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Smoking and drinking help make most things tolerable.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/yQOEgRw-67.gif

Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Thats not the point. I've been a home owner my almost my entire adult life. I've grown accustomed to figuring shit out. Most of the time it's a job well done, every now and then I have to call in the pros. Same for vehicles.

Most people on this site are in the same boat.

If you have a warranty or having someone fix things for you cause it's baked into the price by all means do the smart thing a use it.

I just would have a hard time being in that position from the get go and it would be tough for me to make those calls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Hey lanlord, the furnace is acting up"
"I'll send a guy right over"
"Thanks"

I would feel emasculated making that call but that's just me.

do you feel emasculated taking your car in for warranty repair? You paid for it. I’d feel like a fool and emasculated for wasting my time fixing something I paid someone else to deal with. Not to mention incurring the liability of something going wrong.

Thats not the point. I've been a home owner my almost my entire adult life. I've grown accustomed to figuring shit out. Most of the time it's a job well done, every now and then I have to call in the pros. Same for vehicles.

Most people on this site are in the same boat.

If you have a warranty or having someone fix things for you cause it's baked into the price by all means do the smart thing a use it.

I just would have a hard time being in that position from the get go and it would be tough for me to make those calls.

Sure thing, sizzle-chest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
You must have had great neighbors.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#50]
I won't ever live in another apt. I will literally live in a tent before I do that again.
My wife and I 3 years ago moved out of a apt and lived in a camper on our bare plot of land til we built. Was a blast.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top