BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Downy woodpeckers"? We got a regular Charles Autobahn here.

AFAIK there's maybe a half dozen birds, tops. Robins, Blue Jays, Crows, Eagles, Turkeys and Rotisserie Chickens. All the rest are made up to sell "spotting scopes" to elderly "birdwatchers". Take em out on safaris,  "LOOK! A Purple-headed Hooter Snipe!" "Where???" "Aw ya just missed it, big un too"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The annual Robin hoard showed up here in November, as usual. They spent most of their time in the Cedar trees.
Mostly just smaller birds around now (Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse, Downy Woodpeckers, etc.), with the occasional small flock of Blue Jays.
"Downy woodpeckers"? We got a regular Charles Autobahn here.

AFAIK there's maybe a half dozen birds, tops. Robins, Blue Jays, Crows, Eagles, Turkeys and Rotisserie Chickens. All the rest are made up to sell "spotting scopes" to elderly "birdwatchers". Take em out on safaris,  "LOOK! A Purple-headed Hooter Snipe!" "Where???" "Aw ya just missed it, big un too"

Yeah, they're pretty common around here.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Downy_Woodpecker/media-browser/60397941

Attachment Attached File

Let me guess; you think every snake is a gardener, black, or moccasin.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:04:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sure, we've read all the stuff aboot China birds, but there's some strange goin-ons round these here parts.

Example: past week there have been 50-100 robins clustered around a shrubbery in my yard. It's a tall and fine shrubbery, but in years yore never attracted such avian attention..

So I ask the brilliant minds of GD: Is something up?

Moderately serious replies only.

Can make a pole but stumped on choices.
View Quote
I’m in South Dakota, and I heard Robins the other day.  I too thought it was strange given it’s only February.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, they're pretty common around here.

Attachment Attached File

Let me guess; you think every snake is a gardener, black, or moccasin.
View Quote
A bird can't chop a tree down.

That's a beaver. A downy beaver if I'm not mistaken.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My birds are busy doing normal bird stuff.  Eating seed at the feeder, pecking at the snow, and fighting with other birds.

I did have a starting contest with a Barred Owl the other day at lunch.  Maybe he knows something...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I've found lots of stone birds lately.

Like really lifelike looking. Just laying on the ground.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've seen a lot of Eastern Bluebirds at our feeder lately, especially last week when it snowed, but they're supposedly here all year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#7]
They keep crashing into our windows.
Sometimes one will sit on the window sill and stare in at us.
I saw one the other day that was carrying a knife, but I think that's for protection from the hawk that zooms through.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Believe this or not.
Between November 26 and January 14, I watched and recorded hundreds of thousands of robins flying
across my rural property; at times, thousands per day. The first month, they were landing in my field and roosting in my trees.
I watched  and recorded them every day and have lots of video.

Would be happy to share the video, but don't know how to post it here.

Here is a still frame....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#9]
None around here yet in Siberia.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Everything is trying to mate here, which is early.

The Bush Tits showed up again last week...I just like saying the name.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nothing unusual, except more seem to be wearing surgical masks.
View Quote
They're wearing plague masks here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure about up there, but I'll be getting the hummingbird feeder out in about a month (in case they are early this year)
Saw first hummingbird first week of april last year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Ours are here year around, soon another type will show up. We have a heated feeder they love.

Quoted:
Not sure about up there, but I'll be getting the hummingbird feeder out in about a month (in case they are early this year)
Saw first hummingbird first week of april last year.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I ventured out of the basement of solitude to inspect the doings of these avian interlopers.

I was gobsmacked by the prodigious output of their digestive systems.

GD decorum prohibits details, but suffice to say if it were scaled up to human size, people would be loosing ~12% of their bodyweight with each evacuation.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I "caught" a female cardinal in my garage the other day and was almost late to work trying to get her to fly out.  Stupid bird just wanted to hang out in the rafters...  I have no idea what happened to her, if she got out or if I will someday find a mummified bird...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Birds aren’t real. Nixon started eliminating them in the 60’s.

https://birdsarentreal.com
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Everything seems normal here. Should start seeing the first waive of robins in about a month.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Would be happy to share the video, but don't know how to post it here.
View Quote
I host them on Youtube, then embed them here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, a pheasant committed suicide this morning by flying into my grill while going 70 so there's that
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top