Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Tell me more about how MEPS is letting these people through.

Actually @614Buckeye tell me more about the entire first paragraph.
View Quote
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/09/21/the-army-is-supposed-to-be-growing-but-this-year-it-didnt-at-all/

Recruitment numbers down, waivers for medical.
As far as specific asthma thing, I was informed by enlisted personnel that while asthma at any point your life would have been disqualifying pre 2008 or so, now if you had it as a kid and a doctor cleared you of it as an adult there was a waiver. I believed the guys that told me. If I’m shown information that proves otherwise of course I’ll own up to the mistake.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I could leave service tomorrow and make 20-30k more.  At entry level wages.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Guarantee they didn’t factor ACTUAL hours worked to on-duty hours ON PAPER.

Name one senior NCO or Officer that doesn’t put in an extra 2 hours a day between skipped lunches and after 5. Name one Junior Enlisted that doesn’t get regularly tapped for 24hr shifts, extra details, etc. regardless of branch or specialty. How many hours do you work on deployment?

Turns out, the military as a whole has a bunch of labor practices that quietly make a lot of extra time disappear.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#4]
No, but it can vary greatly depending on a lot of factors.

I remember taking a huge pay cut when I went from E-5 to GS-9.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you factor in time in the field, recall formations, CQ duty, late days, etc they’re probably underpaid.
View Quote
This.

If you break military salary down to an hourly comparison, they are definately not overpaid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
My paychecks doubled the day I retired and took a similar job role as a contractor.  That tells me I was very underpaid for my position for many years.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If we can afford it yes.
Not paid too much.
View Quote
Thats subjective, the us government runs in deficits.

But I'm ok with cutting a lot of things before focusing on military spending.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#10]
. Craziest shit I’ve read today.    Just like the day after Trump was elected they started screaming “Impeach 45!”

News article was a seed planted for the left.  It will grow, it will become a talking point.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Not when I was in. I seriously doubt it has changed in 25 years. Leftists loathe the military. They sure like making 10 million a movie for pretending to be one though.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#12]
When a regular work week is 60-70 hours and you still qualify for WIC there is something wrong
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#13]
No but the politicians are.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I got off active duty as an E5 in 2014 I calculated that I would need something like 65k a year to maintain the same standard of living.

Base pay isn't much but BAH, BAS, incentive pays (much of which isn't taxed) add up and that money goes a lot further when you don't pay for, for instance, any health insurance or virtually any healthcare costs for yourself or family

You can say military people aren't paid enough, but you won't convince me that most of the people I worked with weren't doing a lot better financially than they would have been in the civilian sector.

Maybe that's necessary to compensate for the deployment tempo and all the shit enlisted people have to deal with.
View Quote
All true.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not when I was in. I seriously doubt it has changed in 25 years. Leftists loathe the military. They sure like making 10 million a movie for pretending to be one though.
View Quote
I can remember when my E-8 father only made about eight hundred dollars a month.
WWll.
Korea.
Vietnam.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:47:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Some MOSs are overpaid and some are underpaid.

Example: I was a linguist.  I made an extra $1000 a month in FLP pay because I spoke enough languages to max it out.  I was also married, lived of base so I got BAH/BAS.  All this as E3.  I had biweekly checks that varied between 1700-1950 after taxes and after putting several hundred into my TSP.

I was way overpaid compared to my peers.  I also had a higher skill set but I still felt overpaid.

That said when I got out I had contracting job offers for 2-4x what I was making in the Marines, but I'm in school on the GI bill now.

If I was in charge of military pay I would probably be hated by about everyone.   I would cut BAH, O1-O3 pay, probably reduce base pay a small bit but I think deployment and combat zone pay should be bumped way up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:50:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can remember when my E-8 father only made about eight hundred dollars a month.
WWll.
Korea.
Vietnam.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WWll.
Korea.
Vietnam.
$800 in 1972 is equivalent to $4900 now.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I make a lot more now than I ever thought I would in the military.  However if I left I could double it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WWll.
Korea.
Vietnam.

Yeah, well they can rock on because that's not the equivalent of what we got.

lol

I remember some other military kids down the street that stole bikes so their staff sgt daddy could repaint them and fence them off to some other asshole for extra income.
I wish I was bullshitting but I'm not..
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Example: I was a linguist.  I made an extra $1000 a month in FLP pay because I spoke enough languages to max it out.  I was also married, lived of base so I got BAH/BAS.  All this as E3.  I had biweekly checks that varied between 1700-1950 after taxes and after putting several hundred into my TSP.

I was way overpaid compared to my peers.  I also had a higher skill set but I still felt overpaid.

That said when I got out I had contracting job offers for 2-4x what I was making in the Marines, but I'm in school on the GI bill now.

If I was in charge of military pay I would probably be hated by about everyone.   I would cut BAH, O1-O3 pay, probably reduce base pay a small bit but I think deployment and combat zone pay should be bumped way up.
View Quote
Out of curiosity, why cut BAH?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:12:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Some sure as fuck are.

Most however, are not.
View Quote
This is a fair and reasoned answer. The more skill you require or the more you go into harms way the more you should get paid.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Figure up how much they are paid per hour and get back to me.

Don’t forget you are on call, around the clock, every day.

Typical day in garrison was get there at 6 am and leave no earlier than 7 pm.  Friday’s sometimes left at 5 pm. Frequently went in Sat morning for a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Enlisted personnel are underpaid.
I can’t speak about officers and I can’t speak to any experience other than mine.

Base pay is too low, by probably 20%.

Military healthcare is a joke. It doesn’t matter if it’s free, if it substandard to the point where it’s a meme, is it really healthcare? The Motrin and fluids is a real prescription, though there is a new approach of adding “physical therapy” to the regimen.

Chow halls are bad, consuming mass produced food for years is not good for you. Substandard nutrition aside, they are also are a breeding ground for bacteria. (Work in a high ops tempo job? You might not have time to even go get shitty food) Some chow halls are better than others, but you don’t have the luxury of picking and choosing if there is only one on your base. (You want better food? Deploy. The chow halls magically get better when base commanders have to eat at them)

Junior enlisted housing is a carpeted prison cell, at every base I’ve been at, the dorms are substandard and would get any civilian property manager sued into poverty. Inconsistent water temps, “suite mates”, inconsistent HVAC, no provisions for home cooking, and all the other weird shit I’ve seen.

School is “paid for” but you only get to take extra classes if you are not in a career development program, upgrade training, PME, or in a deployment with stable internet, or any other number of disqualifying events. And god help you if you fail a class or even get less then a “c”.

The deployment cycle. Working for 210 days /13 hour shifts without a day off, is, um.. it sucks. Also, deploy every 18 months, for years.

BAH is the only entitlement that has value. But BAH is only afforded to married and NCOs without meeting very strict criteria.

BAS is a joke. Who can maintain effective nutrition on 300 bucks a month? Survive? Yes, but you will be making sacrifices.

Commissary and BX/PX are marginal. They consistently get beat on prices on the economy even factoring in “tax free”. Our BX is used to try on or look at something and order it from amazon while you walk out of the store.

MWR varies from base to base, I’ve seen awesome MWR programs and really shitty MWR programs. So it’s luck of the draw where you are stationed.

But even though it sucks, I love the bastards I call brothers and sisters and am proud to serve alongside them and I will keep working to make the lives of my subordinates and peers better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:26:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I made about $800 after taxes as an E-1 in '07.  My salary as a sheriff's deputy blew away anything I made in the army by far.  If I had gone with Baltimore PD I'd have been breaking six figures with OT.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Meh. I'm paid enough. Not as much as some and more than others. Probably not near as much as I'd be making after 21 years in a civilian job, but I'm not bitching.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#26]
There's no shortage of personnel who thought about jumping, did the numbers, and realized that their "real compensation" wasn't going to be attainable civ side with their resume.

The pay ain't bad. It's better if you're smart about it.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Its impossible to have a rational debate about this as the emotions of the issue run high.
The military if you consider base pay, per diem pays, and the slew of benefits while in and after; pays a reasonable wage with long lasting post service benefits.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I could leave service tomorrow and make 20-30k more.  At entry level wages.
View Quote
Is there a financial or life style incentive that does not exist elsewhere that is making you stay?

I have not been in the military so my thoughts on this topic are based on conversations with retired military who I have worked with.

For example.  I worked for a few years with a retired Marine Corps officer.  He told me that coming to work for us was a huge pay raise but when he factored in the loss of his housing allowance, health care costs, and other benefits he was living on the same amount of money.  I asked him why he didn't go work for the government as a civilian or a contractor like everyone else.  He has since left the company.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#29]
E1 to E9 are all underpaid for the stuff they have to deal with period.

Officers are slightly different. 01-02 that act like children, and don't understand there role in a line platoon, are infact overpaid.

Ask any E6-E8 that had any experience and gave a shit about the military what they thought about junior officers that didn't act accordingly to their rank/pay

Warrant officers?

Don't mess with them lol
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Not even close when you consider the military owns you 24/7/365 and has no work hour restrictions and minimal safety requirements that are often ignored for the mission.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#31]
When all members if the military start getting compensation comparable to our federal legislators then we can begin talking being paid too much.  Until then no they are not even close to being paid too much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Those who defend our country aren't paid enough. Football players that spit on our country by kneeling are the ones that get paid too much....
View Quote
Get back to us when the Government is paying them. Until then who cares what anyone in the private sector gets paid. Freedom is fucking scary.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There's no shortage of personnel who thought about jumping, did the numbers, and realized that their "real compensation" wasn't going to be attainable civ side with their resume.

The pay ain't bad. It's better if you're smart about it.
View Quote
Absolutely
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Most of the jobs military folks can get out and make more money in are taxpayer funded jobs.

Those jobs generally have no retention problems, and a line of qualified people trying to get in on the deal.

So, if someone is making too much money, this little reality should show who that is.

It’s all about recruiting and retention, period. But, 87% of the arguments about any public sector pay are wrapped up in raw emotion.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:36:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Shrink the military... start something like the legion with citizenship for service..
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Being a military recruiter must be the easiest thing ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very low barrier of entry and tons of people wanting to do it equal low salaries.  Same reason teachers, medics,  and police usually make very little.  I live in podunk ks. They can get a new teacher or cop here in less than 2 weeks.

I don't understand why you would be a soldier OTHER than the 2 reasons my friends,  family,  and wife's ex do it.  They either dreamed about it forever and love it (those guys have moved up and done well financially) or they can't hold a regular job and had no other options.  Some people just can't start themselves,  they need someone telling or yelling at them to do it.

My wife's ex and 2 of my highschool classmates were fired from every civilian job they had.  Mostly scheduling issues with video games.  They stay in the military.  Haven't advanced much but it's a job.

On the other hand a close friend of mine and a cousin wanted nothing more than to be in the service.  They both are officers and make a good living.  They weren't great in school,  average.  But military life was their strength it seems.

My wife's best friend's husband is in also.  Officer school right now. Loser. He's flunking and about to be demoted.  Said he needs helps but he will not ask for it under any circumstances. She did all of his homework during military school before to get him the shot.  Now he's full time school and it's getting ugly.

Those occupations really are the law of supply and demand at work.
Being a military recruiter must be the easiest thing ever.
No idea. But the proof is the market. If it had the same value and high barrier of entry as a dr (random example) then they'd pay similar money.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are paid enough when the military is meeting recruiting goals,
View Quote
Recruiting is easy. Retention is the hard part.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#40]
The military is paid too much.  Members arent.  Theres a difference, and the problem can be solved by cutting out so much goddamn unecessary shit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Shrink the military... start something like the legion with citizenship for service..
View Quote

Horrible idea.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see what you're saying there.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cut BAH? Do you realize housing costs different in different parts of the country? How do you propose married, ncos and junior officers afford a place to live? You might squeak by in BFE Montana, but California or Florida would eat most of your base pay. Hell, the mortgages in my area are 1700/mo for not in the ghetto.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't think their base pay and allowances are too much, but I do think Uncle Sugar needs to take it easy with the bonuses.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Tax advantages of BAH and special pays even things out significantly.

The widest disparity is probably between O6-O10 and their civilian counterparts who are executives of large private sector orgs.  Although that may not be as comparable as with state or federal government, where pay rates for leadership are more equal to the military.

Also, being an E3 with four kids is a choice.  That doesn’t mean your employer has a duty to support your family planning or lack thereof.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#47]
The military retirement system needs to be revamped..again
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The military retirement system needs to be revamped..again
View Quote
It just did, google “blended retirement system”
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It just did, google “blended retirement system”
View Quote
I’m aware of that.

I’m talking something that doesn’t screw over new troops.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#50]
No, But most government contractors especially the consultants like Rand with their  dumb ass studies and reports
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top