Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
China's pretty close to Russia better nuke them too and Ukraine is corrupt so they get a nuke.

Basically Japan will end up king of Asia, of course until they get nuked
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We need a Shoot The Balloon forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BALLOON THREAD!!!

We need a Shoot The Balloon forum.

Why is everyone assuming this is a balloon.?
How do we not know that it may identify as a ........ or some such thing.  My guess is a new delivery system by amazonian.....bypass shipping ports for expedite delivery to their warehouses.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How do they know it's Chinese?
View Quote

It's pronounced baroon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
D-21, but this is kind of what started this whole thing.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Oh well nuke China anyways lmao
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This is actually infuriating.

Over an area that is lightly populated, we could easily damage/deflate the balloon portion and it would drogue chute to the ground effectively slowing the payload to the point that even if it did hit something it wouldn’t be THAT bad.

Why the fuck isn’t our country immediately acting as if this is a hostile event (which it is)? This will only embolden the world as they see how big of a pussy the USA is.

Legalities of shooting it down?  This is unprecedented and most likely no laws covering action against it by civilians.

Hell, If a normal joe or group of joes were to take it down, they’d make history.
View Quote

ARFCOM engineering team on standby???
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Any violation of US territory or airspace should be met with at least 30 MIRVs.

We will need a new missile which holds 15 MIRVs for each part of the triad.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was promised 99 red balloons - not this!

Damnit Nina!
View Quote
Well played
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hey @WhiskersTheCat

We need you for a special mission

https://i.imgflip.com/79uotu.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any violation of US territory or airspace should be met with at least 30 MIRVs.

We will need a new missile which holds 15 MIRVs for each part of the triad.
View Quote

Also yes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lmao. Makes sense. Otherwise we'll just give the missiles to the Ukraine. I remember reading shootings down a satellite give a "kill" credit toward ace. Why would a balloon be any different? If I was an F-15 pilot I'd love the opportunity to fire one of those
View Quote
Given the height of the balloon I would say its worth three. There should be some kind of three point line like the NBA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We can't shoot it down.
We need to fill it with false information and send it back.
View Quote

Dick pics and Kung Flu memes
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 2:52:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Dick pics.  hundreds of huge American weiners to give them an inferiority complex.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Balloon is somewhere between 60k and 120k.

Service ceiling on the highest civilian aircraft is 51k, and most ov them can't actually reach that level except under very specific and limited conditions.

Most commercial traffic is 34k to 41k.

Average GA aircraft is less than 18k.

We're going to have to think outside the box on this one.
View Quote

The older Longhorn Lear could get to 55k feet but after some issues with the pressurization on multiple aircraft types, there are few bizjets that are allowed to do that now. (And, as I recall, special training is required.)

Certainly the Global Hawk could get up that high as can a U-2. But if you're talking about Arfcom resources, one of the large amateur rockets could get up that high. Hitting the balloon would be a challenge even using FPV techniques.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We have no weapon to shoot it with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2023/02/03/busting-that-chinese-balloon-is-harder-than-you-think/amp/

The article ignores Thaad and Patriot capabilities.
View Quote

Pretty sure we have multiple military aircraft that could hit the balloon with a missile. Of course, just the missile would cost 10x-100x what the balloon cost so it might not be a good trade.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Propulsion?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Disable propulsion, give it a nudge into Canada
and let Castro Jr. deal with it.

Propulsion?

There is some speculation that because it has been able to maneuver somewhat that it may have propulsion on-board. The solar panels on there I don't think are big enough for any real propulsion that would have any real effect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Weird double tap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The older Longhorn Lear could get to 55k feet but after some issues with the pressurization on multiple aircraft types, there are few bizjets that are allowed to do that now. (And, as I recall, special training is required.)

Certainly the Global Hawk could get up that high as can a U-2. But if you're talking about Arfcom resources, one of the large amateur rockets could get up that high. Hitting the balloon would be a challenge even using FPV techniques.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Service ceiling on the highest civilian aircraft is 51k, and most ov them can't actually reach that level except under very specific and limited conditions.

I bet we have a few pre-production development units of these laying about

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21064/E79B0335-E0A9-4B5F-81E4-9CC33A9528A9_jpe-2696473.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21064/E79B0335-E0A9-4B5F-81E4-9CC33A9528A9_jpe-2696473.JPG

That would be interesting as well. I was thinking we had some ground-based lasers that might be able to get enough energy up that high to damage the balloon envelope but not sure. Long time ago they were looking at really high-powered ground based lasers for intercepting ICBMs and warheads. Not sure they ever really got that far along on those.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
50k-60k feet? I can’t imagine any of us has access to something that can hit it from the ground. You’d need a corporate jet, which you wouldn’t be able to shoot out of.

Seriously though, is there any hand held weapon capable of hitting that high in the US arsenal?

ETA: look at this crap…

Chinese balloon seen over U.S. was for weather research, Beijing says
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm waiting for some brave American with a small plane to take out that balloon. Just like they did with the tower shooter in Austin in the 1960s.

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Allright GD, you always have all the answers, let's figure out how to shoot this damn Chinese spy balloon out of the sky.

They say it is above comercial air traffic so how high would that be?

It is over some of the most sparsly populated area of the US, what better time to shoot it down?

The fact that this thing is still up is embarrassing as hell but our spaghetti spine gov officals will not do a thing.

Before it maps all the nuke silos in ND it should be brought down in my opinion.
How the hell can we knock that thing out of the sky? How illegal would it be to knock a foreign balloon out of the sky?
Would our fearless penguin defend us in court?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/413300/Fn_5eFCakAEQnj6_jpg-2695967.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
50k-60k feet? I can't imagine any of us has access to something that can hit it from the ground. You'd need a corporate jet, which you wouldn't be able to shoot out of.

Seriously though, is there any hand held weapon capable of hitting that high in the US arsenal?

ETA: look at this crap  

View Quote
Hand held?  No. And if there was, I wouldn't volunteer to use my hands to fire it.

But there are certainly systems.   We can hit a bullet with a bullet in orbit....I think we can hit a balloon that's half that high doing 50 knots or whatever.

Is it worth it?  Sure, a real world test of Aegis Ashore or THAAD or Patriot is worth it.   Maybe we have the follow on to KH11 above it looking down on it and USA311 listening to whatever it's transmitting,  we are just learning what we can learn.  

Or poopy pants found where they stash the soft serve machine and he's too busy to take any calls.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:15:08 PM EDT
[#29]
SAC would not have let this get to this point
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

That would be interesting as well. I was thinking we had some ground-based lasers that might be able to get enough energy up that high to damage the balloon envelope but not sure. Long time ago they were looking at really high-powered ground based lasers for intercepting ICBMs and warheads. Not sure they ever really got that far along on those.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are quite a few industrial lasers with sufficient intensity to pop a balloon from 20+ miles out.

They use them for cutting steel. A balloon envelope is going to take way less energy.

As I mentioned in the bigger thread, a group of nerds/engineers could quickly repurpose one. Aiming it wouldn't be difficult as the laser has no ballistic trajectory to worry about (or falling/descending projectiles to worry about). All you'd need to do is ensure that the aiming device is parallel to the beam.

Any offset is negligible when you're aiming at a 30+ foot diameter target. Since folks are able to capture footage of it from the ground, with cellphones and or spotting scopes, aiming a repurposed industrial laser at it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

As I mentioned in that thread, you could even use one of the brighter visible lasers, mounted and aligned with the industrial laser, coupled with a high power scope. "I see the dot on the balloon. Fire"
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
SAC would not have let this get to this point
View Quote
Of course, current "leaders" are SACless.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Also yes.
View Quote

You get a MIRV, you get a MIRV, and you get a MIRV. Everyone gets a MIRV.

That’s the kind of mood I’m in right now, fuck it let the cockroaches have it in a few million years.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

"I want my $2 10 % for the big guy!"
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There are quite a few industrial lasers with sufficient intensity to pop a balloon from 20+ miles out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1.  Air isn't completely transparent so the energy of the laser attenuates over distance.
2.  Air isn't pure air - it has dust, smoke, water vapor, etc. in it.  Those things scatter and attenuate the power of the laser.
3.  Air isn't a constant temperature, and the different layers of air bend and diffuse the energy of the laser.

They use them for cutting steel. A balloon envelope is going to take way less energy.

The steel isn't 20 miles away from the laser.  Invers-square law is a thing.

As I mentioned in the bigger thread, a group of nerds/engineers could quickly repurpose one. Aiming it wouldn't be difficult as the laser has no ballistic trajectory to worry about (or falling/descending projectiles to worry about). All you'd need to do is ensure that the aiming device is parallel to the beam.

Any offset is negligible when you're aiming at a 30+ foot diameter target. Since folks are able to capture footage of it from the ground, with cellphones and or spotting scopes, aiming a repurposed industrial laser at it wouldn't be terribly difficult.

As I mentioned in that thread, you could even use one of the brighter visible lasers, mounted and aligned with the industrial laser, coupled with a high power scope. "I see the dot on the balloon. Fire"

Different wavelengths of light will be bent/diffused/scattered differently, so if the visible light laser is on the target, the high powered laser is likely not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

1.  Air isn't completely transparent so the energy of the laser attenuates over distance.
2.  Air isn't pure air - it has dust, smoke, water vapor, etc. in it.  Those things scatter and attenuate the power of the laser.
3.  Air isn't a constant temperature, and the different layers of air bend and diffuse the energy of the laser.

Different wavelengths of light will be bent/diffused/scattered differently, so if the visible light laser is on the target, the high powered laser is likely not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While the first 3 points are correct, a collimated beam that can burn through steel, should still retain enough energy at 20+ miles, to burn through a balloon envelope.

While different wavelengths experience differences in scattering, 2 aligned lasers of different wavelengths aren't going to be diverging/bending differently enough to miss a ~30 foot target at 20 - 30 miles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#36]
It’s coming right at my house.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
whos to say it isn’t loaded with explosives?
View Quote

Apparently it's at a good altitude for EMP delivery

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-secrets/balloons-called-top-delivery-platform-for-nuclear-emp-attack
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
50k-60k feet? I can’t imagine any of us has access to something that can hit it from the ground. You’d need a corporate jet, which you wouldn’t be able to shoot out of.

ETA: look at this crap…

View Quote

Repurpose one of these.
https://bosslaser.com/series/fc-series/
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s the kind of mood I’m in right now, fuck it let the cockroaches have it in a few million years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also yes.

No no no

You get SEVERAL MIRVs

Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure some of those advanced amateur rocketeers could get it.
View Quote

The dude who does this instantly - and I mean instantly - becomes THE biggest legend in the history of amateur model rocketry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The dude who does this instantly - and I mean instantly - becomes THE biggest legend in the history of amateur model rocketry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m pretty sure some of those advanced amateur rocketeers could get it.

Musk could do it!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Can we un-mothball an A12 and SR71 and strap a sidewinder to it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pretty sure we have multiple military aircraft that could hit the balloon with a missile. Of course, just the missile would cost 10x-100x what the balloon cost so it might not be a good trade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have no weapon to shoot it with.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidhambling/2023/02/03/busting-that-chinese-balloon-is-harder-than-you-think/amp/

The article ignores Thaad and Patriot capabilities.

Article covers that. Even has a historical example of Canada trying to shoot down their own wayward balloon before it drifted over Russia. Bullet holes don’t allow enough gas to escape quick enough, and missiles just punch through without blowing up.

IIRC, they had similar problems at first, in WW1. You could shoot German Zeppelins utterly full of machine gun holes, and the gas leaks were still slow enough to allow them to complete the mission and return to base. The only thing that really did them in was the introductions of incendiary bullets….which of course does us no good in 2023 (helium vs hydrogen).
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Article covers that. Even has a historical example of Canada trying to shoot down their own wayward balloon before it drifted over Russia. Bullet holes don’t allow enough gas to escape quick enough, and missiles just punch through without blowing up.

IIRC, they had similar problems at first, in WW1. You could shoot German Zeppelins utterly full of machine gun holes, and the gas leaks were still slow enough to allow them to complete the mission and return to base. The only thing that really did them in was the introductions of incendiary bullets….which of course does us no good in 2023 (helium vs hydrogen).
View Quote

Ginsu missile it is then.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe @JonathanwFL finished his hyper sonic missile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Op this is the best idea I have ever read on gd.  I need a guy with a jet oxygen mask for everyone.and the ability to open a door.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I really can't believe what I'm seeing. NAORAD according to an analyst knew it was there the minute it launched.

but cancel all passes
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is actually infuriating.

Over an area that is lightly populated, we could easily damage/deflate the balloon portion and it would drogue chute to the ground effectively slowing the payload to the point that even if it did hit something it wouldn’t be THAT bad.

Why the fuck isn’t our country immediately acting as if this is a hostile event (which it is)? This will only embolden the world as they see how big of a pussy the USA is.

Legalities of shooting it down?  This is unprecedented and most likely no laws covering action against it by civilians.

Hell, If a normal joe or group of joes were to take it down, they’d make history.
View Quote

Charged with war crimes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Just leave the balloon alone, it's on its way to drop more cash off at Biden's house.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top