Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#1]
So are they developing "afghanoflage" or just reproducing work the Australians, Canadians and USMC have already done?  At least the Canucks and Jar Heads were smart enough to realize one patter would not do.

Here's an oxymoron:  "Universal Camoflage"  That will take more than cloth and dye

ETA: Info on the development of CADPAT.  I'm no expert, but the methodology sounds pretty good (if expensive).
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
UCP works ok if you get it dirty using the dirt where you are going to be operating but over all it was made to blend in with Urban/ and NIR
I think Multicam would be the best choice in most situations but would fail in the following Urban/Pure desert/ Snow/Gray woodland/ tropical green
I think US forces should have ACU-Marpat-Multicam-l in digital form -Snow digital to choose from depending on where they are going to be stationed at.

here is a test I did a while back

ok so I did another test to see why ACU was chosen and if it does work better dirty or clean and here is what I found
In urban it works better clean, and in woodland you want to rub the local dirt into it. Check out the picture below I rubbed a little dirt in on the sleeve and it changed colors matching the local terrain perfect

And here is a  picture comparing Dirty ACU to Multicam

here is a picture of clean ACU  dirty ACU and Multicam

Marpat on left ACU in middle Multicam on the right
Marpat was the top performer but ACU does work good enough in desert

here is an urban test I did

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#3]
ACU  is not as bad as some have made it out to be

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Here are some pics of the new UCP-Delta pattern being field tested

Link Posted: 1/31/2010 10:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
UCP-D looks like dirty, shit on ACU.

That's one ugly camo. Like I said in another thread, it isnt fashionable enough to be worn at West Point, or recruiting stations.

ACU looks much better.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's one ugly camo. Like I said in another thread, it isnt fashionable enough to be worn at West Point, or recruiting stations.

ACU looks much better.

I didn't realize fashion was the goal here.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACU looks much better.

I think (hope) he was joking
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
tag for later review
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ACU looks much better.

You're naive if you think it isnt a factor.

The USA military is not going to let their soldiers wear something fug.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]

I noticed with the bottom pic above that the camo looks much greener than in the ones above it.  I also noticed that the coloration on the mag pouches
right under the magazine of his rifle looks more like the normal gray
you usually see - as in the first two pics above.  Is there a chance that the bottom
pic was photoshoped?
Also, does anyone know of there is any UCP-D available for purchase anywhere?
-K

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I noticed with the bottom pic above that the camo looks much greener than in the ones above it.  I also noticed that the coloration on the mag pouchesright under the magazine of his rifle looks more like the normal grayyou usually see - as in the first two pics above.  Is there a chance that the bottompic was photoshoped?

Also, does anyone know of there is any UCP-D available for purchase anywhere?

-K

I am actually pretty sure not. I have seen some wide variation in UCP.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ACU looks much better.

You're naive if you think it isnt a factor.

The USA military is not going to let their soldiers wear something fug.

If we could get the fashion police 100% out of the Army, it would be better for everyone left...

Much, much better...

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ahhh the fucking Navy with another great uniform.  I might be able to understand a haze grey/ deck grey uniform for guys that work topside, but if I fall in the fucking water, I want to be found, not blend in.  

Great decision Admiral!!!!  
You bunch of fucks!

You might want to check your fire, and actually educate yourself. The NWU was designed and implemented by Master Chief Petty Officers. MCPON Carroll is now Mr. Carroll and works on Task Force Uniform to this day.

Secondly, when you fall into the water the only thing that anyone will see is your head and your waving arms.

Third, most ships while underway still wear blue coveralls, which doesn't exactly standout in the ocean.

A question from the Army side of the house:

What purpose is the dark blue digital pattern supposed to serve? Surely, naval personnel will not be required to wear that uniform in combat?

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:40:42 AM EDT
[#14]
86 the ACU BDU and extra Multicam it... BAMMMMM
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahhh the fucking Navy with another great uniform.  I might be able to understand a haze grey/ deck grey uniform for guys that work topside, but if I fall in the fucking water, I want to be found, not blend in.  

Great decision Admiral!!!!  

You bunch of fucks!

You might want to check your fire, and actually educate yourself. The NWU was designed and implemented by Master Chief Petty Officers. MCPON Carroll is now Mr. Carroll and works on Task Force Uniform to this day.

Secondly, when you fall into the water the only thing that anyone will see is your head and your waving arms.

Third, most ships while underway still wear blue coveralls, which doesn't exactly standout in the ocean.

A question from the Army side of the house:

What purpose is the dark blue digital pattern supposed to serve? Surely, naval personnel will not be required to wear that uniform in combat?

I believe the stated purpose was to hide a sailor in the water - that way it will be more difficult for rescuer.... er.. I mean the enemy to find them.

No, I'm not serious about that, but I do see that as being a problem.  

The actual stated reason IIRC is to act as a 'working uniform' that will hide fuel or grease or paint stains that will get on the uniform (which isn't really such a bad idea).  I believe sailors who are on the ground will be wearing Marpat, but it could also be the old BDU/DCU patterns - I'm not sure.
-K

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ACU looks much better.

+1 but it probably works ok. I don't get my multicam is so hard to pass through maybe the army should make a copy cat version like the Brits
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]

yeah most people don't get how it works, from what I can see it creates a ghosting looking figure that disrupts the silhouette at long range basically it does not have lines. I think it's best for Urban/Rocky/gray woodland/snow areas. It does work at long range 300 meters + I have had 2 friends stand next to each other at long range using Multicam and ACU and sometimes the Multi appeared dark silhouetting the person. Up close the ACU appears almost blue but far away it does get the job done!

my friend is out there 200 meters !

100 meters

25 meters

comparing to Marpat wood in open field 25 meters as you can see it bleeds out!!

Link Posted: 2/5/2010 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't like the Hyperstealth pattern it's very cluttered I prefer the CADPAT pattern used in ARPAT-MARPAT
Link Posted: 2/5/2010 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah I don't think anybody arguing that ACUs work okay for strictly desert or even urban operations. The fact is they completely blow goats when it comes to anything forest related.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#20]
btt

looks like  multican may just be the new camo

http://soldiersystems.net/2010/02/17/army-to-field-multicam-in-afghanistan/
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't like the Hyperstealth pattern it's very cluttered I prefer the CADPAT pattern used in ARPAT-MARPAT

Anyone have a picture of the Italian pattern?  Looks very similar.
Link Posted: 2/19/2010 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone have a picture of the Italian pattern?  Looks very similar.

Found these on google.

Looks really good.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top