Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:43:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I lived there a long time.  It used to be fun and weird.  Now it is just fucking depressing and disgusting.

When I was there, I would say the majority of people were conservative, but silent.  I used to play darts with a group.  I played with them 2-3 years or so.  I kind of thought I had gotten to know them.  Then one day they were quietly discussing taking a trip together-Tulsa...  The whole group was probably more into guns than I was, but NEVER in 3 years did they mention it in public.  Everyone at the table had a CHL.

Same thing happened to me in Cedar Park.  Went to a neighborhood bible study for a year or two.  Never any mention of guns.  Then one day we split into men's and women's group.  Our "bible" discussion became 9mm/45 for concealed carry.  Every man at the bible study had their CHL-but never mentioned it in public.  Talking about their wives having an affair was fair table talk, guns was not.
---
I have not been in Austin since the camping ban - shortly before it there were "homeless" under every fucking overpass, and urban campers in all the greenbelts.  Don't even get me talking about their Covid crazies.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:48:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well what’s the deal about letting trees grow out of control?  Do you have to pull a permit or something?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in Austin for a year.  There were restrictions with how the water could be used due to the aquafer.

Well what’s the deal about letting trees grow out of control?  Do you have to pull a permit or something?

Yes.  Anything over a certain diameter tree (12”?) is a “legacy” tree and you need a permit to cut them down.  I don’t think you need one to trim though.  

Mostly it’s just people are lazy slobs who cant do their own yard work and do not know how to care for their trees.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:51:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

We are in agreement with your timeline.   Lived  there 27 years.  Left last year for Dripping Springs.  Love it and do not miss Austin one bit.  

Cant believe how different it is in Austin every time I have to drive in.  Really sad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From 1999 to 2010, Austin was a very nice place.  It really started going downhill around 2012-2013.  It has been a SHIT HOLE since 2018.

I can't wait to leave!

We are in agreement with your timeline.   Lived  there 27 years.  Left last year for Dripping Springs.  Love it and do not miss Austin one bit.  

Cant believe how different it is in Austin every time I have to drive in.  Really sad.

Yep.  My wife & I are out your way, moved here in 2010.  We wanted out of AISD, Austin, and Travis county.  I had been in Austin since '82 and my wife is a native Austinite.  Both of us agree that the Austin we grew up with is long gone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#4]
When I raised my kids here Austin was certainly liberal, but it wasn’t so much a shithole back then.  It’s really gone downhill since the youngest graduated from LASA.  

I really like my job here, I work for UT’s research branch, but I fear that’s not enough to keep me in the city where my kids grew up.  That city is long gone.  Liberals fuck up everything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:03:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where on 6th?  @mattpsky
View Quote

East 6th and Webberville.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if Austin became like that in recent times. I thought the people there were easy going, though I was never there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Stationed at Bergstrom from '75 to '79. Austin was a cool place back then. I lived right off the drag about a block from the Hole In The Wall.

6th Street was off limits back then.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:43:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From 1999 to 2010, Austin was a very nice place.  It really started going downhill around 2012-2013.  It has been a SHIT HOLE since 2018.

I can't wait to leave!
View Quote

Its sad to hear that. I was there from 2010-2014 for school and it just seemed to be the normal big city kind of dirty. At least the homeless people back then were nice, you were way more likely to be offered free drugs than you were to get robbed or beaten
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife and I moved there 50 years ago, stayed for 4 years.  It was good for bicycling back then and we really liked going to UT.  

We did meet some batshit crazy Liberals.  They were extremely judgmental and negative though.  

Back then girls and young women liked to wear no bras and skimpy, see through tops along with long hair and not much makeup.  That was heaven for men.

Democrats seem to push hard for a "nothing can be nice" culture.  Progressive = "nothing can be nice".

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought Austin was the hot new trendy place to live?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Sad to hear how far it has declined.  I've only been there once, as a teenager in 1975 I thought it was a beautiful city.  Clean, safe, great for bicycling.  My late dad, a UT grad, would be livid if he knew....
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
The Geezinslaw Brothers would not approve.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In town for a job. Holy shit this place is horrible.

Everything is nasty as shit. Trash everywhere. Nasty looking people everywhere. Just gross. Everything is just dirty.
View Quote
I used to go there for business about 10 years ago, mostly on the south side of town. I remember pretty awesome food and hot assed soccer moms wearing yoga pants everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#14]
well that sucks
was thinking of taking a roadtrip   WI to austin-galveston-NO-pensecola....

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Pre-Wu Flu I went to San Antonio every year for vendor training.  I took a side trip to Austin one year and was amazed at how shitty people were.

As for filthy, try Montreal some time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Austin is a shithole
View Quote

Word!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Should have seen it before the camping ban was passed.
View Quote

Truth.... you mean the camping ban was re-enforced. It's been around for decades.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#18]
The liberals have also destroyed Dallas and Houston.

I lived in Houston back in the 1970s and it was in ruins back then so the attacks from California must have started in the 1950s and 60s.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The liberals have also destroyed Dallas and Houston.

I lived in Houston back in the 1970s and it was in ruins back then so the attacks from California must have started in the 1950s and 60s.
View Quote

Dallas isn't as bad as Austin or Houston. Yet
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Liberals do that
View Quote

They’re like cockroaches.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:22:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Lots of blue haired people everywhere. I live in Pflugerville and avoid going into Austin as much as I can.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I go there for the motogp, and terry blacks bbq.  And I am always armed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Austin was cool up to the early 90’s. The Texas Silicon Valley moved in and it started to go full militant lib tard.  It hit peek lib tard during Obama. The cool lib tard left because it wasn’t hip lib tard anymore and the militant lib tard took over.

Sadly the cool lib tard moved north and south of Austin and is currently infecting those areas, spreading the lib tard virus that destroyed Austin.

They are also moving into San Antoinio as well.  I-35 from Georgetown to San Antonio will be a liberal shithole in 25 years except in gated communities.  

The Matthew McConaughey type Texas liberal is taking over, shitting and moving on when the cool is no longer cool enough.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:37:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lots of blue haired people everywhere. I live in Pflugerville and avoid going into Austin as much as I can.
View Quote

Pluggerville has sucked for awhile. How's your intermarried city council doing?

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#25]
What large city isn't a filthy shithole?
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I can't wait to leave!
View Quote

I was there 20 years ago and it was already shitty then.    

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
And they will/have dragged the entire state down that hole.
At least this might stop some of the liberals from moving there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What large city isn't a filthy shithole?
View Quote

OKC is full of Dems, hipsters, and gang bangers. Everyone should stay away!
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#29]
It's getting dangerous, on another front. No traffic enforcement has had a serious toll.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#30]
1977-88. Keep Austin weird used to be a fun town.

Now it's just keep Austin nasty.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:21:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's getting dangerous, on another front. No traffic enforcement has had a serious toll.

https://media.kvue.com/assets/KVUE/images/c8a62429-fee1-4fbd-b1ca-077e4f38547f/c8a62429-fee1-4fbd-b1ca-077e4f38547f_1920x1080.jpg
View Quote

No, it's the illegal drivers that think they can drive the same way here as the did back where they came from. Along with being drunk.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Never been to Austin. I'm sure it can't be worse than Portland.
View Quote

Portland and Austin are basically the same city with the same types of people, except Austin has a lot more brown skinned people.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Portland and Austin are basically the same city with the same types of people, except Austin has a lot more brown skinned people.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And guns.... we have guns.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No, it's the illegal drivers that think they can drive the same way here as the did back where they came from. Along with being drunk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media.kvue.com/assets/KVUE/images/c8a62429-fee1-4fbd-b1ca-077e4f38547f/c8a62429-fee1-4fbd-b1ca-077e4f38547f_1920x1080.jpg

Well, yeah. And the stoned drivers with paper tags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:22:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Stationed at Bergstrom from '75 to '79. Austin was a cool place back then. I lived right off the drag about a block from the Hole In The Wall.

6th Street was off limits back then.
View Quote

Lived on 22 1/2 St. for years.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#36]
We raced at COTA this past weekend.

Two trucks broken in to and a ton of stuff stolen. Ridiculous
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:23:25 AM EDT
[#37]
I'll be there for the first time in a few months for MotoGP.  Been a while since I've been to a liberal strong hold.  Last time was when I went to Oregon.  I was amazed at the homeless and their "camps"
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Thirty years ago Austin was beautiful....I spent a lot of time there on business....my last trip there was in 2018 and it was disgusting....I will only drive thru there, will not stop

Liberal shithole with a liberal shithole university there....
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Austin has always had a larger amount of traffic Collison than it should for a similar sized city.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:34:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Liberals do that
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:40:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Back in the late 90's, I'd go downtown to see bands, and I never felt in danger.

I haven't been down there in years before a couple months ago. I went down to a club on Red River to see my nephew play drums in a band. Yeah... downtown is a mess. TONS of those electric scooters everywhere, mostly not being used. People everywhere. Homeless people camped out on sidewalks. I didn't necessarily feel unsafe, but I didn't really want to be there. At all. I could go the rest of my life without going downtown.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I thought Austin was the hot new trendy place to live?
View Quote

For Californians. They buy up all the houses out west in Westlake and Bee Caves, keep voting in the ACAB lesbian city council and sit by their pools and laugh.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Went there with then-gf in 2019. Stopped in a Wendy's to grab something to eat. I'd never before, or since, seen a Wendy's without a seating area.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Austin was a shithole overrun by hobos.  The only redeeming thing about it was the food.

Get some cooper's BBQ.  Brisket and ribs, yes to the sauce they dunk it in.  Thats about the best thing the city has to offer.

Quoted:

View Quote

Isn't portland the one with no sales tax?  Ive been to both for work.  The difference i experienced was austin was thousands of hobos in huge groups.  Portland was the same amount of hobos peppered out every where.  They said basically both cities have laws in place to "protect" the homeless.  What it turns into is attracting hobos from all over the country.  They flock to those places like hobo mecca and Madina.

I do remember we had folks at work help everybody place our orders for shit and had it ready when we got to portland.  We saved boatloads of money because no sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#45]
It’s a malignant tumor.

Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My wife and I moved there 50 years ago, stayed for 4 years.  It was good for bicycling back then and we really liked going to UT.  

We did meet some batshit crazy Liberals.  They were extremely judgmental and negative though.  

Back then girls and young women liked to wear no bras and skimpy, see through tops along with long hair and not much makeup.  That was heaven for men.

Democrats seem to push hard for a "nothing can be nice" culture.  Progressive = "nothing can be nice".

View Quote

YES!

That’s how I see it.

Austin used to be pretty cool honesty. 5-7 years ago or so….. the women were always amazing…..

But it’s exactly like you describe…. Every aspect that has something good to it seems to be attacked until it’s destroyed.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Back in the late 90's, I'd go downtown to see bands, and I never felt in danger.

I haven't been down there in years before a couple months ago. I went down to a club on Red River to see my nephew play drums in a band. Yeah... downtown is a mess. TONS of those electric scooters everywhere, mostly not being used. People everywhere. Homeless people camped out on sidewalks. I didn't necessarily feel unsafe, but I didn't really want to be there. At all. I could go the rest of my life without going downtown.
View Quote

I was driving to my hotel around 2-3 last night through downtown….. definitely a “not safe” feeling.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suspect the sharp increase in traffic fatalities is mostly due to the 10 fold increase in bums playing Frogger on I-35.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I only ever lived out West for the 10 years I was there. Southwest Parkway / Bee Cave / Lakeway were where we frequented.

Hobos were off of Guadalupe and 6th/5th, primarily near the churches/shelters... now they're literally EVERYWHERE.

Took the family back last year and tried to hike Bull Creek with them as I've done hundreds of times.... the amount of trash / diapers was disgusting to say the least.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have been to both... it's not as bad as Portland.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top