BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

The Chinee will have a copy out in two weeks. Iran, 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They should have had a red LED eye moving back and forth when they pulled the sheet off. That would have been awesome.
View Quote

I thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That sounds incredibly vulnerable
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Raider has been designed as an Open Architecture, so that new upgrades can be quickly installed (more or less like new Apps and Updates are made available to a smartphone) and leverages a Cloud infrastructure to more maintainable and sustainable aircraft with lower-cost infrastructure.

The term 'cloud' is meaningless in this context. It's no more or less vulnerable than any other computerized technology. It's more dependent on the underlying security architecture, how it's managed, monitoring, and the access controls. This isn't like the the cloud storage you use for your photos or online storage.

Do you honestly think the DoD or the USAF would use anything 'incredibly vulnerable' on a nuclear capable bomber? Or that a Mac with a USB port can 'hack' into it?

m
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Thank you.
First thing I thought of.

Looks, saucery.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Basically a pot-bellied B2, underwhelming. Maybe it's a real performer, but I think the B2 is sexier. Will this one at least be supersonic?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The term 'cloud' is meaningless in this context. It's no more or less vulnerable than any other computerized technology. It's more dependent on the underlying security architecture, how it's managed, monitoring, and the access controls. This isn't like the the cloud storage you use for your photos or online storage.

Do you honestly think the DoD or the USAF would use anything 'incredibly vulnerable' on a nuclear capable bomber? Or that a Mac with a USB port can 'hack' into it?

m
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Raider has been designed as an Open Architecture, so that new upgrades can be quickly installed (more or less like new Apps and Updates are made available to a smartphone) and leverages a Cloud infrastructure to more maintainable and sustainable aircraft with lower-cost infrastructure.

m

The cloud is just somebody else's computer and in this case the usaf owns both.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Basically a pot-bellied B2, underwhelming. Maybe it's a real performer, but I think the B2 is sexier. Will this one at least be supersonic?
View Quote

Why would it be supersonic?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The window shape might be driven by a pilot visibility requirement. They'll want to see things like runway edge lines, taxi lines, crew chiefs, formation partners etc. Pretty sure styling is not part of the design process for this product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I noticed that right away as well.  Definitely some styling elements at play there.

I always wondered how much focus is put into styling of military aircraft. There is clearly a significant amount of industrial design work being done, but I often wonder just how much and how big of a priority it is for them.
The window shape might be driven by a pilot visibility requirement. They'll want to see things like runway edge lines, taxi lines, crew chiefs, formation partners etc. Pretty sure styling is not part of the design process for this product.

Styling is a part of all design processes for aircraft, even stealthy ones, at least according to the guy who was the Chief Engineer of NGCs YF-23 program. But, there probably is a more likely/practical reason for the canopy windows to look the way they do in this case.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:48:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

m
View Quote

I get it’s not the ICloud. I understand things like JEDI and strict military requirements.

I also understand the current administration would sell us out in a heartbeat and there’s nothing truly secure, even isolated systems.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

m
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Or, perhaps the "cloud" being referred to is on-board? Or, refers to the logistics and maintenance side?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:55:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
any idea where these will be home based? Do we have facilities other than Whiteman?
View Quote

Dyess is supposed to be the main training base for it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Styling is a part of all design processes for aircraft, even stealthy ones, at least according to the guy who was the Chief Engineer of NGCs YF-23 program. But, there probably is a more likely/practical reason for the canopy windows to look the way they do in this case.
View Quote

Maybe if the YF-23 program had spent less time on styling and more on demonstrating technical maturity, it would have beaten the F-22.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I noticed that right away as well.  Definitely some styling elements at play there.

I always wondered how much focus is put into styling of military aircraft. There is clearly a significant amount of industrial design work being done, but I often wonder just how much and how big of a priority it is for them.

Those things all absolutely play a factor.

But I guarantee industrial design is part of their process. Just how much, I don't know.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe if the YF-23 program had spent less time on styling and more on demonstrating technical maturity, it would have beaten the F-22.
View Quote
Requirements, styling, price. Choose two.

YF-23 chief engineer: I choose style and price baby! Let's gooo
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:04:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't get the excitement here.

Our government is completely out of control.

Why are you excited that they have new hardware that you paid for?

YOU are their biggest threat. Per them.

Clown shoes.

View Quote

Yeah the military couldn’t or didn’t want to win against goat farmers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#17]
when does Ukraine get one for Christmas?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

That's one of dozens of possible definitions of 'cloud'. Certainly, it can be 'someone else's computers'. It can also be your own computers, at your own site. Or at a remote site - or sites. It can be dedicated hardware, shared, virtualized, containerized, or even just small bits of code.

m
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Fit that kinda dough, we could a built a lotta modernized BUFFS…

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
any idea where these will be home based? Do we have facilities other than Whiteman?
View Quote

Ellsworth, Whiteman and Dyess.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:15:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

And done what with them, died?
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I laughed a little when SecDef was telling the story of the Doolittle Raiders and said they took off to "bomb targets in distant lands" or something like that. Now that Japan is an ally, we can't be saying we bombed Tokyo.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sort of defeats the purpose
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you seen the price to put new engines on the B-52? A modernized one would cost a lot more than a B-21. Super ignorant take.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 11:36:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to him, it was awarded because of industrial base considerations as their prototype was sufficiently mature. So, in fact, it did beat the YF-22 but that didn't matter in the greater scheme of things.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:20:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:39:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

BUFFs need to:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Fit that kinda dough, we could a built a lotta modernized BUFFS

View Quote
Could we really though?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:06:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

According to him, it was awarded because of industrial base considerations as their prototype was sufficiently mature. So, in fact, it did beat the YF-22 but that didn't matter in the greater scheme of things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YF-22 won because it was more maneuverable and Northrop had the B2 stink still on them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:15:13 AM EDT
[#33]
The semblance to the B2 that a lot of people are shitting on means to me that the B2 is still actually stealthy and this is a more economical version with updated lines is actually a very smart move that can be produced in numbers.

Numbers and actual capability are actually major deterrence. China and Russia both know they aren't producing anything close to the F22 F35 B2 B21 level. The days of shooting down a U2 are long gone.

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:26:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Or, perhaps the "cloud" being referred to is on-board? Or, refers to the logistics and maintenance side?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

m

Open Architecture refers to the plane's operating system. The computer(s) and networks that operate the flight controls, communications equipment, weapons, and sensor capabilities.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The semblance to the B2 that a lot of people are shitting on means to me that the B2 is still actually stealthy and this is a more economical version with updated lines is actually a very smart move that can be produced in numbers.

Numbers and actual capability are actually major deterrence. China and Russia both know they aren't producing anything close to the F22 F35 B2 B21 level. The days of shooting down a U2 are long gone.

View Quote

Yep. This looks like one of the few military programs that might come in under budget. It would be quite the accomplishment if it does.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Uh ... when was the B-2 declared not stealthy?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wonder what the stall characteristics are? Does it drop a wing?

I’d love to talk to the flight test guys.

View Quote

Probably just turns into a Frisbee
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The windscreen shapes will become more clear in a view from the top.  The edges are parallel to some other edge in the platform, then mapped onto the curved surfaces.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The windscreen shapes will become more clear in a view from the top.  The edges are parallel to some other edge in the platform, then mapped onto the curved surfaces.

Industrial designers stylized the eyelashes for manufacturability. It's an anime emo bomber.

Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Industrial designers stylized the eyelashes for manufacturability. It's an anime emo bomber.

https://i.imgur.com/1HA6DAS.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/1HA6DAS.png

Sad plane is sad
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:51:41 AM EDT
[#40]
While the Raider may resemble the B-2, once you get inside, the similarities stop, said Kathy Warden, chief executive of Northrop, which is building the bomber.

'The way it operates internally is extremely advanced compared to the B-2, because the technology has evolved so much in terms of the computing capability that we can now embed in the software of the B-21,' Warden said.

Northrop beat out a team comprised of Boeing and Lockheed Martin when it won the 2015 contract to make the bomber, alongside suppliers including engine maker Pratt & Whitney, Collins Aerospace, GKN Aerospace, BAE Systems and Spirit Aerosystems.

The rollout at Northrop's Plant 42 in Palmdale provided the first photographs of the new bomber. So far, only artist renderings have been published.

Six of the planes, which is to have its first flight in mid-2023, are in various stages of assembly. More than 8,000 people from Northrop Grumman, industry partners and the Air Force work on the program today which consists of more than 400 suppliers in 40 states.

THE B-21'S NEWEST FEATURES FOR MODERN WARFARE 

The B-21's features groundbreaking stealth technology built on top of more than three decades and six generations of US bomber innovation. 

Northrop boasts that the new aircraft will included advance materials that will greatly reduced infrared, acoustic, electromagnetic, visual and radar signatures, making it virtually undetectable.  

The bomber's stealth tech is expected to counteract even the latest Russian and Chinese surface-to-air missiles, something '90 percent of the nation's current bomber fleet is incapable of doing,' the company said. 

The B-21 will also include a 'digital bomb bay', which will allow the aircraft to integrate new weapons faster than ever before. It ensures that the bomber can be readily and affordably upgraded.  

A FULLY REMOTE STEALTH BOMBER 

Unlike its predecessor, the B-2 Spirit, the B-21 Raider is expected to allow for unmanned missions. 

While the current plans for the Raider include a crew of two, the Air Force has said that future aircraft must be able to be completely remote.

Representatives for Northrop called the B-21 'pioneering' and 'technological excellence.'

'The B-21 is the most advanced military aircraft ever built and is a product of pioneering innovation and technological excellence,' said Northrop sector vice president and general manager Dough Young.

More
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 2:57:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
While the Raider may resemble the B-2, once you get inside, the similarities stop, said Kathy Warden, chief executive of Northrop, which is building the bomber.

'The way it operates internally is extremely advanced compared to the B-2, because the technology has evolved so much in terms of the computing capability that we can now embed in the software of the B-21,' Warden said.

Northrop beat out a team comprised of Boeing and Lockheed Martin when it won the 2015 contract to make the bomber, alongside suppliers including engine maker Pratt & Whitney, Collins Aerospace, GKN Aerospace, BAE Systems and Spirit Aerosystems.

The rollout at Northrop's Plant 42 in Palmdale provided the first photographs of the new bomber. So far, only artist renderings have been published.

Six of the planes, which is to have its first flight in mid-2023, are in various stages of assembly. More than 8,000 people from Northrop Grumman, industry partners and the Air Force work on the program today which consists of more than 400 suppliers in 40 states.

THE B-21'S NEWEST FEATURES FOR MODERN WARFARE

The B-21's features groundbreaking stealth technology built on top of more than three decades and six generations of US bomber innovation.

Northrop boasts that the new aircraft will included advance materials that will greatly reduced infrared, acoustic, electromagnetic, visual and radar signatures, making it virtually undetectable.  

The bomber's stealth tech is expected to counteract even the latest Russian and Chinese surface-to-air missiles, something '90 percent of the nation's current bomber fleet is incapable of doing,' the company said.

The B-21 will also include a 'digital bomb bay', which will allow the aircraft to integrate new weapons faster than ever before. It ensures that the bomber can be readily and affordably upgraded.  

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/12/02/16/65178107-11495107-image-a-28_1669999060614.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/12/02/16/65172995-11495107-image-a-20_1669998989835.jpg

A FULLY REMOTE STEALTH BOMBER

Unlike its predecessor, the B-2 Spirit, the B-21 Raider is expected to allow for unmanned missions.

While the current plans for the Raider include a crew of two, the Air Force has said that future aircraft must be able to be completely remote.

Representatives for Northrop called the B-21 'pioneering' and 'technological excellence.'

'The B-21 is the most advanced military aircraft ever built and is a product of pioneering innovation and technological excellence,' said Northrop sector vice president and general manager Dough Young.

More
View Quote
First payload data I've seen so far. I was surprised to see single axle main gear. Carpet bombing is clearly a way of the past. That's ok, knife bombs are pretty badass too.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yep. This looks like one of the few military programs that might come in under budget. It would be quite the accomplishment if it does.
View Quote

It's not lockheed, so....
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:05:59 AM EDT
[#43]
The leading speculation, and imagery from a few years back of likely testbed airframes, had all suggested essentially a replicated B2 layout, with minor differences to the number and shape of the rear fuselage protrusions.

In contrast, the unwillingness to let the rear profile of the airframe to be photographed or observed, combined with the reflections in the hangar floor, and the logo above the front gear door, all suggest this might have a considerably longer fuselage than we're led to believe by everything leaked thus far.

Maybe it really does have a saucer shape...?
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Form follows function.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say it was.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 3:27:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does this count against my social credit score?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck Woke Lloyd Austin
Does this count against my social credit score?

Maybe but the troops dig the vibe.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 4:59:51 AM EDT
[#47]
One thing I thought of - unmanned flights does not necessarily mean unmanned combat missions.  Being able to be ferried without an onboard pilot could free pilots up to actually perform missions.  While hopefully the coatings on this one will allow it to be operated outside it's home field, when it does need to go back for service - at least the crew might not need to spend a day in the cockpit both ways.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But I guarantee industrial design is part of their process. Just how much, I don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Refined diamond shaped windows further reduce radar signatures. No 90 degree angles is a major factor, just like the F-117.
Styling goes out the window when it comes to stealth, function is everything. As for increased visibility for pilots, the glass cockpit displays and autonomous tasks 'should' take care of business when it comes to situational awareness with the pilots being systems directors and configuring the aircraft to perform functions without even looking out of the windows. The pilots will be mode selectors and task managers. A better view would make for cool youtube video's though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top