Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 28
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My GT3 Touring and my 993 are going nowhere.

That being said, I have zero interest in the 992 and if I had to choose between the 60k Corvette or the 120k 992 I'd probably go with the Vette.

European regulations have screwed Porsche.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't see how it is any less likely than the later models of 'Vettes. I mean, they're not friggin Mustang IIs!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 60 years will these first gen mid engine vetts be a collector's item?
Don't see how it is any less likely than the later models of 'Vettes. I mean, they're not friggin Mustang IIs!  
Well my point was it will be the point of such a huge change, a "first" for the brand, that may one day cause the first year models to be worth more if you have a fine survivor specimen in 50+ years. But who knows, new I.C.E may be illegal to produce and sell to the public by then.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I would say its a safe bet that any future Corvette will include an electric motor... For emissions, performance or both. Hybrid or pure EV is the only question.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would say its a safe bet that any future Corvette will include an electric motor... For emissions, performance or both. Hybrid or pure EV is the only question.
View Quote
Koeniigggseegggg just struck a deal with GM for the full release of all rights to SAAB. And 90% of Koeniisggseiieegg's business model is licensing technology (much like Rimac), So something to think about.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Really curious to see if the dct is in the same league as the pdk. My 718 cayman gts is amazing to drive, the pdk is unbelievable fast and smooth. A LS v8 in a mid-engine is sooo tempting.  Thinking of ordering one, but probably going to wait til people get some road time to see awesome they actually are...
View Quote
It will be light years ahead of ZF's PDK.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Koeniigggseegggg just struck a deal with GM for the full release of all rights to SAAB. And 90% of Koeniisggseiieegg's business model is licensing technology (much like Rimac), So something to think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AWD hybrid.. mid engine rear wheel drive gasoline powered, with the front powered by electric motors. No huge battery just a small one that's charged via the main engine during low throttle conditions? Some generator sandwiched between or in the transmission?

GM I'm cheap if you're listening.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

AWD hybrid.. mid engine rear wheel drive gasoline powered, with the front powered by electric motors. No huge battery just a small one that's charged via the main engine during low throttle conditions? Some generator sandwiched between or in the transmission?

View Quote
the Zxx is rumored to be a bi-turbo hybrid with 1k horse.  so it's very possible given the existing room in the front of the base car for it to be an AWD hybrid...0-60 time on that being...hazardous to your health..

Mercedes still have the patent on the turbo/generator deal from F1?  that would be a super fucking cool way to charge a small battery...bonus: you can spool the turbo with the generator for zero lag.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the Zxx is rumored to be a bi-turbo hybrid with 1k horse.  so it's very possible given the existing room in the front of the base car for it to be an AWD hybrid...0-60 time on that being...hazardous to your health..

Mercedes still have the patent on the turbo/generator deal from F1?  that would be a super fucking cool way to charge a small battery...bonus: you can spool the turbo with the generator for zero lag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still trying to get my mind around 1g of acceleration in a production car.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:45:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
agreed. it's pretty nutty. so nutty I almost don't believe it.  that's GTR or awd lambo fast or better from a RWD car...its like they made the mass go away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There should be some structural indications if they plan on utilizing hybrid powertrains in this generation (like the 992).
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Drive by wire.

Technology has made it possible.  Without launch control/traction control it would be very difficult to drive and very expensive to insure.  There would be a lot more mishaps.  Not so long ago this was an amazing feat for a motorcycle.  Now cars have gotten into the game.
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 4:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
The C8 Corvette coupe AND spyder style CONVERTIBLE are closer to being available than you think.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
C8 Mid Engine Corvette (x2) in Motion | See interior & Engine
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:10:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The C8.R is coming, and it will race at LeMans. Comparisons to the GT are natural given we are talking about Ford and Chevy here, but really there should be no comparison. You can't just decide to buy a GT, even if you have the $450k. You have to be deemed worthy by Ford. Once they go on sale late this year or early next, anyone with a few bucks and a decent credit rating will be able to buy a C8. You will see them everywhere.

C8.R in testing:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209554/c8r_camo_jpg-1028169.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look, I'm a bit of a Vette fanboy but until GM enters a C8 in Le mans and wins, you can't compare it to the GT.  But the GT is five times more expensive then a Z06 so it doesn't really matter.
The C8.R is coming, and it will race at LeMans. Comparisons to the GT are natural given we are talking about Ford and Chevy here, but really there should be no comparison. You can't just decide to buy a GT, even if you have the $450k. You have to be deemed worthy by Ford. Once they go on sale late this year or early next, anyone with a few bucks and a decent credit rating will be able to buy a C8. You will see them everywhere.

C8.R in testing:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/209554/c8r_camo_jpg-1028169.JPG
Didn't I say earlier Obama MOtors was going to use the C8 to whip everone's ass in LeMans?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#16]
C8 Z06 will be in the 11000-13000 price range, that’s where I’m getting the 1/3 from
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

C8 Z06 will be in the 11000-13000 price range, that’s where I’m getting the 1/3 from
View Quote
The C8 Z06 model with be twin turbo correct?
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the rumor.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Current DCT won't handle that amount of torque produced, That DCT will be completely new design.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#20]
GM design chief Michael Simcoe confirmed the C8 Corvette's 2020 allocation is nearly sold out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Engine oiling...doubtful, its running a dry sump with 3 scavenge stages...
Cooling, maybe, but doubtful again with the huge tunnel running thru the car and the huge side scoops...
DCT software/tranny..doubtful/maybe... They have had computer controlled transmissions/solenoids long enough now that that should be pretty straight forward... trans itself..maybe, but over the years GM has become pretty good at building stout transmissions...
My guess, like every manufacturer they will have a few common fails, a few oddball fails and overall a decent vehicle...
View Quote
DCT's are never straightforward and this is a completely new design specifically for the C8 from Tremec.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:13:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Current DCT won't handle that amount of torque produced, That DCT will be completely new design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems a bit weird to engineer two completely different DCT’s.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C8 DCT rated about 664 ft-lbs max, twin turbo V8 certainly will blow past that
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was questioning the “completely new” part instead of designing versions of the same that are able to handle different loads while also sharing the benefits of economies of scale
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was questioning the “completely new” part instead of designing versions of the same that are able to handle different loads while also sharing the benefits of economies of scale
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scaling will no doubt apply wherever possible.

They really gotta do something about those wheels, though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Given that the stock wheel "upgrade" will likely remain $1995 I think the aftermarket will do well

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#28]
All about the LT2 in the 2020 C8 Corvette
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Given that the stock wheel "upgrade" will likely remain $1995 I think the aftermarket will do well

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2262/wheel1_jpg-1034993.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2262/wheel2_jpg-1034994.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z06 & ZR1 will hopefully get better treatment.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Same dude that dropped the early CAD drawings that ended up being legit, dropped the drawings on the LT7 (the twin turbo).

Of note, slightly different DCT casting. Safe to say it's been beefed up for the big boy engine.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really curious to see if the dct is in the same league as the pdk. My 718 cayman gts is amazing to drive, the pdk is unbelievable fast and smooth. A LS v8 in a mid-engine is sooo tempting.  Thinking of ordering one, but probably going to wait til people get some road time to see awesome they actually are...
And you know this because how?  Sounds like someone is blowing hot air out of their ass...
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

And you know this because how?  Sounds like someone is blowing hot air out of their ass...
View Quote
I know this because the PDK is the worst DCT out there, rough shifting, lags, jerky downshifts, unreliable. not tough to improve on. Oh well
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I’m surprised, more people haven’t been complaining about the wheels.

I like the C8 and am considering one but the ass end is going to take a while for me to come to terms with and the wheels are hideous.
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
The New Mid-Engine C8 Corvette is nearly SOLD OUT! *UNBELIEVABLE*
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Still no answer on the fueling!
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Direct injection of course
Link Posted: 7/29/2019 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I know this because the PDK is the worst DCT out there, rough shifting, lags, jerky downshifts, unreliable. not tough to improve on. Oh well
View Quote
The GM DCT Light years ahead of the pdk it will be.  The PDK unreliable and lags.  Ask me how I know you -
a. Know nothing about Porsche, ZF, or the PDK or are b. Trolling and do know about the PDK.

ROFL

The PDK and ZF (who helped design it) is the gold standard by which all transmissions are judged.  Porsche is one of the most reliable brands in the world.  Yes I drive a Porsche with a PDK.  First one.  It’s awesome. I’ve had 3 cars with ZFs previously with zero issues.

You can actually drive the PDK like a manual with the paddles.  It sounds like a manual when it shifts. It in fact drives better using the paddles and gets even smother and tight the harder you push it.  I would concede that if your no used to one, and in non sport modes they do not shift buttery smooth.  They shift like a sports car.

The ZF 8 speed in the SRT and Audi cars is smoother but just not as fast shifting.

I have no doubt the GM DCT will be good.  The C8 will be good too. They probably worked with the Germans too!  But saying the PDK is crap, ya come on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But is it DI only or duel fueling?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The GM DCT Light years ahead of the pdk it will be.  The PDK unreliable and lags.  Ask me how I know you -
a. Know nothing about Porsche, ZF, or the PDK or are b. Trolling and do know about the PDK.

ROFL

The PDK and ZF (who helped design it) is the gold standard by which all transmissions are judged.  Porsche is one of the most reliable brands in the world.  Yes I drive a Porsche with a PDK.  First one.  It’s awesome. I’ve had 3 cars with ZFs previously with zero issues.

You can actually drive the PDK like a manual with the paddles.  It sounds like a manual when it shifts. It in fact drives better using the paddles and gets even smother and tight the harder you push it.  I would concede that if your no used to one, and in non sport modes they do not shift buttery smooth.  They shift like a sports car.

The ZF 8 speed in the SRT and Audi cars is smoother but just not as fast shifting.

I have no doubt the GM DCT will be good.  The C8 will be good too. They probably worked with the Germans too!  But saying the PDK is crap, ya come on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFL

Thanks for setting the record straight with that troll.  I didnt want to respond and come across as defensive.  The PDK is at its best when its driven hard .  
It will be interesting how well the dct and the software work together in different driving modes in the c8.  I'll be impresssed if they have it down in production year one.  
I love what i see in the c8.  Just wish GM wasnt killing the camaro.  Hard to imagine no front engine vette or camaro...
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks for setting the record straight with that troll.  I didnt want to respond and come across as defensive.  The PDK is at its best when its driven hard .  
It will be interesting how well the dct and the software work together in different driving modes in the c8.  I'll be impresssed if they have it down in production year one.  
I love what i see in the c8.  Just wish GM wasnt killing the camaro.  Hard to imagine no front engine vette or camaro...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFL

To me, and I'm just guessing from what I see. It looks like GM really went all out on this thing, I think they realize for this to be a great success story, they really can't afford much less than near perfection out of the gate. Especially in today's world of media and today's fickle public.

I'm so curious of the fuel system, because this will be instrumental in how easy it is to modify. I'm also curious if they're still using hot wire MAF's or have they moved to a speed density system.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:40:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

To me, and I'm just guessing from what I see. It looks like GM really went all out on this thing, I think they realize for this to be a great success story, they really can't afford much less than near perfection out of the gate. Especially in today's world of media and today's fickle public.

I'm so curious of the fuel system, because this will be instrumental in how easy it is to modify. I'm also curious if they're still using hot wire MAF's or have they moved to a speed density system.
View Quote
Lets hope its as easy to get another 250+ hp out of the c8 as it is with the c7 with some bolt on FI and a tune. I heard the dct is rated for up to 800 hp.  
Like you say, knowing the fuel system limits and other parts of the puzzle will be important to see what will be possible.  I saw an article where someone said it will be harder to tune it versus the c7.
Would love to have a 700+ hp c8 all in for under 70k!
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:57:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
What is dual fueling?
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
IIRC, there was an article that stated the LT2’s fuel system is a carry over.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#44]
The push rod V8 LS motors though not maxed out, are not nearly as upgradable as the past.  With all of the advanced variable timing, fuel delivery and air intake systems so great from the factory, there is no gaining 50hp from an air filter and cat back anymore.

Also, the industry is continuing to become very unfriendly to tuning, GM already has taken a very rigid stance on modding.  I would expect that this C8 is going to be purposefully difficult to tune, and if not GM will be ready to void warranty claims the the most basic of mods.

I will be very surprised if the GM DCT can hold 800 ho billet proof like some of the typical torque handing traditional converters.  They are about speed and crispness, not being bullet proof.  In most cases the DCT offerings aren’t nearly as stout - I guess we will see.

Porsche does some really interesting things with the PDK to manage toque and make the parts last. Because of that, though tunable, their cars are hard to dyno and don’t have that insane tuning ceiling like an Audi or BMW has.  BUT, the Audi and the BMW break a lot more as well so there is a trade off.

I don’t think the C8 is going to have the tuning ability of previous corvette platforms or the add an instant 100hp with a pulley change of the CTSV and forced induction offerings of the vette.  Even if they do, my guess is the C8 DCT  isn’t going to hold up like the tank transmission in the CTSV Gen 2 or the newer 8/10 speed tq converting autos.

Of course if the base model is a 3 sec 0-60 in Z51 trim, it’s not going to need a whole lot either!!!  That is incredibly fast for a RWD car. If it’s turkey going to be that fast, throwing more power will have diminishing returns - from what I’ve read money would be better spent by putting it on an immediateT diet.  It’s a bit larger and heavier than its competition.  A set of very light weight forged wheels, light weight racing seats, carbon rotors, ultralight exhaust systems could shave 100 lbs.   I wonder if the upper Z trims of the C8 will do just that in addition to some added power. I haven’t been this interested in a corvette for a while.  And I’m not alone.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whoa! Don’t get your panties in a wad. I only said the Tremec will be light years ahead of the PDK. Newer design, look at all the patents GM has.
Regards
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:06:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lets hope its as easy to get another 250+ hp out of the c8 as it is with the c7 with some bolt on FI and a tune. I heard the dct is rated for up to 800 hp.  
Like you say, knowing the fuel system limits and other parts of the puzzle will be important to see what will be possible.  I saw an article where someone said it will be harder to tune it versus the c7.
Would love to have a 700+ hp c8 all in for under 70k!
View Quote
DCT’s rated for torque not hp. C8 DCT rated to 644 ft-lbs
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#47]
The C8s ECU is supposed to be pretty lock down as far as tuning goes. Similar to the C7 ZR1 that took the aftermarket a year to figure out. I’ve read that the C8 has many more modules in the car and they will somehow verify that the ECU is original and not modified before letting the car work right. I’ve also seen reports that Chevy will give some tuners access to the ECU after paying a fee.

Who knows though. We shall see what happens. I don’t really mod cars anymore so I’m not worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:19:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As it sits there is no reason for it to be dual system.  The C7 ZR1 LT5 uses both direct injection and port injection in order to support the 755 HP.  With the LT2 only 30 HP more than the LT1 there is no reason for the additional complexity.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Second, ignorant babbling should simply be ignored. The PDK is what all DC trannys are compared against, I’m sure the C8’s will be great. As a driver he of a manual Porsche, I hate to see the fall of the stick shift but technology has produced a far better option. DC setups like this are the smart choice if you want to “live” with your vehicle in any urban area. Blame traffic, blame those that can’t drive a stick but you have to admit a performance tranny is best. No human can shift as quickly and perfectly every time like this or any other DC setup.
Link Posted: 7/30/2019 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not a fan of those wheels.  Give me five spokes, no more no less.  No pinwheel BS either.
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top