User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Campy? Only the pillow fights seemed campy to me. The rest was filled with over the top cliches. That tends to be a problem Spielberg has.

The acting was generally average to awful.

The movie doesn't hold up over time, for me.
View Quote
Tough crowd

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:15:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like the way the sniper scoped changed from a Lyman M81 to a Unertl.  
View Quote
And scored a 400+ yard head shot without even checking his zero. QD scope mounts must have been really good back then.

Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How the hell have you gone 20 years without watching Saving Private Ryan?
View Quote
I watched it last week for the first time.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fuck corporal Upham..

Fuck his character, Fuck the person who played him..

Now I’m pissed off.. every time I hear of this movie I watch that scene in my head and get totally pissed off.

Thank you OP for pissing me off.
View Quote

NIAGRA FALLS....
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The WWII veteran relative I related stories from said the beach scene in SPR was the closest to getting it right out of any movie.

My dad and I got to the movie later than intended and we had to sit in the front row.
When the shooting started I almost hit the floor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That movie made me say "holy fuck" more times than any previous war movie.
Never been to war, but my Korean War vet father (a medic) agreed to see the film in the theater with me when it came out.

His only critique was: "The wounds were too clean, but the rest looked real. Especially that part where he zoned out and could not hear."  

Got dust in my eyes after he said that.
Watching SPR in the theater with a THX Reference sound system, THAT part of the Omaha beach scene sent chills down my spine.

It's the first movie I can recall, depicting the effects of shock like that. Going from the extremelybnb loud, constant barrage of sound, screams, and explosions, to that muffled "Eeeee", underwater muffled sound... Wow...

I've watched SPR at friends' houses, vs watching it in my HT with a THX Reference calibrated sound system. I just don't get the same impact, without the difference from 90-100+db, to the suddenly quiet muffled droning.
The WWII veteran relative I related stories from said the beach scene in SPR was the closest to getting it right out of any movie.

My dad and I got to the movie later than intended and we had to sit in the front row.
When the shooting started I almost hit the floor.
My Uncle Bob said the only thing missing was the smell.

The sound effects guys for the movie used real guns to shoot real things and used the sounds in the movie. I can't remember if they shot pig carcasses or sides of beef for the people getting shot.

On the OPs topic, as has already been stated, most of the "campy" scenes are recounted in the various WW2 books I've read over the years. There are many more that they didn't include.

Like:
- The guy requesting his arm be found so he can get his watch back.
- The guy fighting up the beach, getting to the top of the hill, and then stopping to dig a hole and take a crap. (Ambrose's D-Day (?))
- The guy getting to the seawall and then field stripping and cleaning his rifle. (Ambrose's D-Day (?))
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The whole “Earn this” thing ruined it for me. It instantly turned a great movie into a Hollywood cheeseball.
View Quote
Yeah but, he blew up a Tiger tank with his .45 just moments ago, , so it kinda offsets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
You want campy?  How about "The Big Red One" where a German battalion all lied down and pretended to be dead so they could...what, stage an ambush?  If an armored column showed up were they all supposed to suddenly jump up and yell "Booga Booga!"?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
About the only thing that bugged me about SPR was the guys constantly charging their weapons over and over, as if using the
sound/motion as a punctuation mark.
View Quote
When you get into the westerns it is funny how often they do that with their lever actions.

Most of the time they kick a cartridge out too...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top