Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cocaine
View Quote
not guilty - but nobody remembers that part
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#2]
The Tornado was not a failure. It was in production from 65 to 92, a 26 year run.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope, the fiero and MR2 were not ahead of their time, they weren't even very good mid engine cars.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Rickenbackers - Not that far ahead of their time.  Had 4 wheel brakes.  The big boys advertised about how dangerous 4 wheel braking was.  Rickenbacker went down the tubes.  The big boys all introduced 4 wheel braking.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AMC Eagle.  Now everything is a cross-over.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
1963 Chrysler Turbine: Ultimate Edition - Jay Leno's Garage
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
AMC Eagle.  Now everything is a cross-over.
View Quote
Yep came to post this.  30 years ahead of its time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
https://blog.consumerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/12/Screen-shot-2014-12-01-at-10.58.10-AM.png
How about the SVO Mustang?

A blown 4 banger as your top performance pony car(I guess Fords top performance car period?)... they put some effort into the package... 4 wheel disks, Konis, solid suspension bushings, 5 speed, 16 inch alloys with Goodyear's best rubber... that's a pretty good setup for 1984, and I think alotta those features were probably firsts for the Mustang..
View Quote
It's usually easy to pick out fake 84 SVO's too. I saw one that a seller was trying to pass off as a SVO. The hood scoop was in the center. Everything else was faked pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Tornado was not a failure. It was in production from 65 to 92, a 26 year run.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wrong.

The front wheel drive TORONADO lasted only 4 years. 1966-1970.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

Not really a failure considering the production numbers, but beyond it's time.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
no one wanted this thing.. now everything is a slightly less ugly version of it.

https://images.autotrader.com/scaler/620/420/cms/content/articles/oversteer/2017/03-mar/03-27/263414.jpg
View Quote
Isuzu VehiCROSS. Concept vehicle that made it to production.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wrong.

The front wheel drive TORONADO lasted only 4 years. 1966-1970.
View Quote
66-85 Toronados were longitudinal front engine, front wheel drive cars. 86-92 were transverse front engine front wheel drive cars. Cadillac Eldarado shared the same platform as the Toronado starting in 67.

Olds Toronado
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Tucker

http://www.tuckerclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/tucker-1003.jpg

A company so far ahead of its time that the big three colluded to crush the brand.
View Quote
This.  For the win
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The GMC trucks with four wheel steering.
View Quote
Agree.  I hate they dropped this option
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't know about ahead of its time but it was underrated. A pretty bad ass little 4 cylinder car back in 83

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lets have a thread about cars/trucks that failed because they were too far ahead of their time.

I'll start.

2002 Lincoln Blackwood.

A luxury truck at a time when pickups were still just work vehicles. A "luxury" truck at the turn of the century meant you got a CD player and power windows. The Lincoln however had a plush leather interior and all the bells and whistles you could want.

And it failed, only selling for one year. At a price of $50K (about $70k in today's dollars) it just didn't make sense. Now 16 years later, all of the big three make luxury trims of their trucks with MSRPs that are pushing $70k+.

http://playswithcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/blackwood2.jpg
View Quote
My buddy owns one...except now it has 600hp with a built engine and Magnuson supercharger.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Aside from its exterior appearance, it had a lot of cool interior features.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can’t believe nobody said DeLorean yet.
View Quote
Colossal piece of shit.  It was not ahead of it's time.  sorry
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]
1963-64 Studebaker Avanti

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
3000GT VR4. Twin turbo, all wheel steering, and a ton if technology that the world wasn't ready for yet.

They are still super cool cars. You sure don't see many of them though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The GMC Sierra C3 debuted in 2001 and was renamed the Sierra Denali in 2002.

The Cadillac Escalade EXT (Avalance clone) also came out in 2002.

The Ford F-150 King Ranch was released in 2001.

So, luxury trucks existed at the same time as the Blackwood.  The Blackwood may have failed because it was RWD only, available only in black-on-black color configuration, and had a carpeted bed.  Perhaps luxury truck people still wanted to use a pickup truck like a pickup and not get the bed filthy when they went to pick up flowers at the nursery, tossed a saddle in the back, or hauled a deer carcass out of the woods.

The Blackwood failed because its competitors were better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2002 Lincoln Blackwood.

A luxury truck at a time when pickups were still just work vehicles. A "luxury" truck at the turn of the century meant you got a CD player and power windows. The Lincoln however had a plush leather interior and all the bells and whistles you could want.

And it failed, only selling for one year. At a price of $50K (about $70k in today's dollars) it just didn't make sense. Now 16 years later, all of the big three make luxury trims of their trucks with MSRPs that are pushing $70k+.
The GMC Sierra C3 debuted in 2001 and was renamed the Sierra Denali in 2002.

The Cadillac Escalade EXT (Avalance clone) also came out in 2002.

The Ford F-150 King Ranch was released in 2001.

So, luxury trucks existed at the same time as the Blackwood.  The Blackwood may have failed because it was RWD only, available only in black-on-black color configuration, and had a carpeted bed.  Perhaps luxury truck people still wanted to use a pickup truck like a pickup and not get the bed filthy when they went to pick up flowers at the nursery, tossed a saddle in the back, or hauled a deer carcass out of the woods.

The Blackwood failed because its competitors were better.
had a carpeted bed
I never knew that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lets have a thread about cars/trucks that failed because they were too far ahead of their time.

I'll start.

2002 Lincoln Blackwood.

View Quote
They actually sold it for a few more years but it had a regular bed. I miss the split tailgate.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My high school GF’s mom had one, GT model.  
Snappy and nimble, fun car to drive
View All Quotes
Quoted:
My high school GF’s mom had one, GT model.  
Snappy and nimble, fun car to drive
I took one in trade years ago that had a supercharger crammed into it. One of the owners of the dealership took it for himself.

That little rig was fun as hell, but it was prone to pretty serious oversteer if you didn't respect the extra power.

Imagine a 911 on a really wet road
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sold better as the Buick rendezvous, however these were extremely reliable vehicles.
View Quote
If you could ignore the rattles and noises then yes. Gm never did fix the steering column noise issues. Never released up dated parts to actually fix the issue.

When it all comes down to it they were going after the same market that the Honda Element did and Chevy lost.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Anything manufactured Chevrolet
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a hard time saying he Veyron is ahead of its time. To my knowledge there is nothing new in them.

You take a wide body and car. Mark it aerodynamic and give a large multi turbo engine into it. The. Add 2k lbs of luxury crap to it and there you go.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#27]
That would have been my vote.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For my addition I would say cars from the 20th century that had their transmission mounted in the rear while the engine was up front.

Only now sports cars are starting to have that as commonplace.
View Quote
'61-63 Pontiac Tempest, driveshaft was a tube with a bend in it , no u joints.
engine was 1/2 of a 389 V8.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:20:54 PM EDT
[#29]
'93.5-'98 Toyota Supra Turbo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:34:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Not so much a failure as they were technically advanced with a rear mounted transaxle, deDion rear suspension with inboard rear brakes, and shocks mounted upside down to reduce unsprung weight. The underpinnings lived on until FIAT took control of Alfa and decided the Alfetta based 75/Milano cost too much to make.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The Tucker really does capture the imagination. I always wonder what impact it would have had on car design and what else they would have came up with had they been successful.

The passenger "hide in case of impending crash" hole seems a bit half assed though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'll start.

2002 Lincoln Blackwood.

View Quote
That truck failed because it was ugly as hell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
For my addition I would say cars from the 20th century that had their transmission mounted in the rear while the engine was up front.

View Quote
I loved my 944, but I think Alfa had that in a car pre-WWII.  Anyway, not a model, but a feature, cylinder deactivation.  GM tried it back in the 1980's with a carbureted engine.  It did not work well.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Corvair - Basically, a pretty advanced concept (rear engine) for an American car, but the transmission (powerglide/3 spd manual) and drive train were still too far in the past.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/920/Unknown-638544.JPG
View Quote
The swing axle suspension in the rear didn't help.  Nothing like going from understeer to oversteer in an instant.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:04:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The GMC trucks with four wheel steering.
I've got a co-worker that drives one everyday to work.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:10:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Attachment Attached File

Minneapolis-Moline's UDLX Comfortractor. Don’t know if ahead of its time but definitely unique.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Tucker

A company so far ahead of its time that the big three colluded to crush the brand.
View Quote
Being an Ypsilanti native,  I’m all too aware of how badly the Tucker got screwed.

I still occasionally eat dinner across the street from the museum.

Now,  when I opened the thread,  I was thinking differently. I was pondering ideas that were too early for implementation like the 4-6-8 V8 in 1980-1982 Cadillacs or the 350 Olds diesel.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:12:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
https://blog.consumerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/12/Screen-shot-2014-12-01-at-10.58.10-AM.png
How about the SVO Mustang?

A blown 4 banger as your top performance pony car(I guess Fords top performance car period?)... they put some effort into the package... 4 wheel disks, Konis, solid suspension bushings, 5 speed, 16 inch alloys with Goodyear's best rubber... that's a pretty good setup for 1984, and I think alotta those features were probably firsts for the Mustang..
View Quote
This was the first thing to come to my mind, 4 link rear excellent weight distribution, Ricaro seats and the most expensive option on a mustang at the time everything was expensive and most parts are non existent. Parents had an 84 and  Im trying to bring an 85 back to life
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
3000GT VR4. Twin turbo, all wheel steering, and a ton if technology that the world wasn't ready for yet.

They are still super cool cars. You sure don't see many of them though.
View Quote
They were expensive and too heavy to handle well.  All that tech is worthless if it doesn't actually result in a better car.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Being an Ypsilanti native,  I’m all too aware of how badly the Tucker got screwed.

Now,  when I opened the thread,  I was thinking differently. I was pondering ideas that were too early for implementation like the 4-6-8 V8 in 1980-1982 Cadillacs or the 350 Olds diesel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Tucker

That 350ci diesel was a fucking joke of a conversion....

Worst idea ever!
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a hard time saying he Veyron is ahead of its time. To my knowledge there is nothing new in them.

You take a wide body and car. Mark it aerodynamic and give a large multi turbo engine into it. The. Add 2k lbs of luxury crap to it and there you go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both of you, drugs are bad.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:21:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
no one wanted this thing.. now everything is a slightly less ugly version of it.

https://images.autotrader.com/scaler/620/420/cms/content/articles/oversteer/2017/03-mar/03-27/263414.jpg
View Quote
It's supposed to be decent off road, and most crossovers aren't.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:29:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Turbine_Car

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Chrysler_027.jpg

Not really a failure considering the production numbers, but beyond it's time.
View Quote
Oddly enough, I don't think I'm alone in finding a total production run of 55 cars to less than optimal...
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 12:47:39 AM EDT
[#45]

NASH METROPOLITAN  The Smart car of the 1950's
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:02:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?" is an entertaining watch if you're a car-industry geek.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Chevrolet EV1.  Battery technology wasn't there yet.  Among other things.

https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/gm-ev1.jpg
The documentary "Who Killed The Electric Car?" is an entertaining watch if you're a car-industry geek.
that was a neat documentary.

The funniest part was when the mechanics were showing how their hands were clear working on the car because it didn't have an engine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:05:33 AM EDT
[#47]
My uncle had one. It was very entertaining to drive for newly-licensed me.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
C5 Corvette says hello...
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:11:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would LOVE to have one. This, oddly was one of my grail cars. I want a Vehicross Ironman
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:13:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~airboy/twomets.jpg

NASH METROPOLITAN  The Smart car of the 1950's
View Quote
I have a 58

Was my mother's first car

Attachment Attached File
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top