Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2022 11:53:32 AM EDT
Was exploring on the motorcycle and saw this under a bridge for a major highway.  Should I call someone?

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#1]
No duct tape on the bike?  Should patch her right up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The abutment should be sitting on piles/a deep foundation.  I think the broken concrete is just to prevent erosion.

In theory it could be a problem, but there would have to be a whole lot of erosion first.

Edit: skimmed too fast.

One of the piles is actually exposed.  Yes, I would call the DOT.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Where is this so that I can avoid that bridge?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe that concrete is only for erosion control so not an immediate concern.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was exploring on the motorcycle and saw this under a bridge for a major highway.  Should I call someone?

https://i.imgur.com/0tpDDaj.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AjewOeJ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QzgGBMT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/83r65tO.jpg
View Quote

Just erosion protection.  

We use stone / crushed concrete around here unless it’s really steep.

Your actually bridge pillars could be as deep as 50-60 feet into the ground, depending on the design / specs / etc.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Not a civil engineer but no - that doesn't look quite right.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I am just a guy but....this part seems like a problem.  Seems like it used to be supported by earth but now isn't.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am just a guy but....this part seems like a problem.  Seems like it used to be supported by earth but now isn't.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/351202/Untitled_png-2346590.JPG
View Quote

Being at an angle, the size, the location and how it’s joined, makes me think that wasn’t actually part of the bridge. Maybe something from an old bridge they tore out and just buried on site.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Only call if you are bored an like to talk to people who have no control and don't give a shit.

If you can get a local news station to run a hit piece on highway funds being siphoned for migrant housing you might get some traction.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks to me like it needs to be Built Back Better.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#11]
If you see something....
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only call if you are bored an like to talk to people who have no control and don't give a shit.

If you can get a local news station to run a hit piece on highway funds being siphoned for migrant housing you might get some traction.
View Quote

Local man Hero saves lives by reporting broken bridge.

I like the sound of that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like TX and OK spend the same amount of time taking care of their bridges

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you see something....
View Quote
We aren't talking about the same thing here.  A little ironically, just yesterday I was sitting here in my chair and I heard CRUNCH, then "Ooooooooooh" from outside, as my power suddenly shut off.  I got out of my chair and before I could look out a window, my power came back on.  I take a look out there and I saw nothing, except a bunch of crunched up mail boxes (not mine) right on the corner by the power pole.

Walked out there and sure enough, looks like someone smacked the mail boxes/power pole then took off.  The power pole looked fine in my opinion, just some scratches, but I don't work for the power company and they must have caused it to rock or something because my power blipped.

Called the power company and let them know what I heard and what their pole looks like.  I expressed that it just looked like surface scratches and I didn't think the pole was really damaged, but they were out here ricky tick to check their shit.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the entire bridge shifted back 3+ ft.  

What does the other side look like?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So, you already know the answer to your question.  What did you do, OP?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:17:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looks like the entire bridge shifted back 3+ ft.  

What does the other side look like?
View Quote

lolwut?

The bridge would of fallen out of place from the abutments.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just wanted to have a good time. That was all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:32:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The abutment should be sitting on piles/a deep foundation.  I think the broken concrete is just to prevent erosion.

In theory it could be a problem, but there would have to be a whole lot of erosion first.

Edit: skimmed too fast.

One of the piles is actually exposed.  Yes, I would call the DOT.
View Quote

It looks like it's getting pretty close to washing out the road surface and barrier too.  Probably a lot closer to that than to the bridge supports failing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean the gap under the ledge?  Not a big deal in itself.  The horizontal member is supported by piles under it (like the one sticking out, except that doesn't look like one of the ones for that piece), and the piles are mostly held up by static pressure from the soil on their sides.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Eventually erosion will eat away at the soil and expose the foundations.  That won' t happen for a long time, but yes it does need to be fixed.  Does your DOT have a BRINSAP program?  Ha.  Just noticed you're in Texas.  Look up your local TxDOT maintenance office and get in contact with the bridge department.  Send them the pics and they will inspect it, or get the railroad to do it.  Not sure who's responsible for it exactly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
could be worse.  This piece of shit never even got to see traffic before collapsing.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what happens when you let water get under concrete... it creates voids and the pretty concrete slopes collapse. The bridge generally is carried down to bedrock, so unless you're seeing cracks you can fit your hand in i wouldn't worry too much.

It wouldn't be the first bridge to use angled piers at the bridge abutments, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being exposed.

Having said that if you're worried call the RR and highway dept and they'll both have a meeting on site and it'll get put in the reapir plan for circa 2030.

Both the RR and highway dept inspect bridges regularly and ignore the need for maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Watch out for railroad police, trespasser.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:46:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unplanned structural sunshine under what appears to be a structural footing is not a good thing.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Maybe we should create a program/source of funding to replace and repair bridges...
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#27]
It's supposed to look like that.  Kind of like when people want 'distressed' cabinets in their new house so you take a chain to the doors and wipe some off-color paint over them.

In this case it's supposed to help you get used to a post-apocalyptic USA.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Doesn’t look like an area that gets noticed too often.  I’d call.

I did something similar on a box culvert that was 80% clogged.  They got right on it.  (Meaning six months later)
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is it still trespassing if you’re a sovereign citizen traveler?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#30]
It's the result of deferred maintenance, and poor design.  It's not an immediate threat, but continued erosion could make it a serious problem.  BTDT many times.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#31]
It isn't, until it is.  

In all seriousness, there is a pier showing, so Id guess the whole thing is supported by piers.  Probably won't be a problem for a long time.  The broken up slabs are just there to carry water away, they aren't really structural.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should definitely fuck around and find out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It isn't, until it is.  

In all seriousness, there is a pier showing, so Id guess the whole thing is supported by piers.  Probably won't be a problem for a long time.  The broken up slabs are just there to carry water away, they aren't really structural.
View Quote

Without them though, you're gonna see a lot more rapid erosion.

I think this is one of those times where an ounce of prevention is way better than a pound of cure.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:14:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's supposed to look like that.  Kind of like when people want 'distressed' cabinets in their new house so you take a chain to the doors and wipe some off-color paint over them.

In this case it's supposed to help you get used to a post-apocalyptic USA.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Best to ease into these sorts of things.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:18:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Is it a big problem?  Absolutely not!  Not for me, anyway.  Because I'm not going over the bridge.    

Seriously, if you want some action, don't bother with the DOT.  Send the photos (and your concerns) to your Congressman.  Be sure to mention how the bridge seems to have dropped a few inches in recent weeks.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

RR cops are a real bitch and they are given powers that are similar to game wardens.  So watch your cornhole bud.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#37]
It won't be a problem until the bridge collapses, then everyone will be blaming the inspectors.
I would say that is a big problem, not a civil engineer.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Keep Quiet and tell nobody
set up game cameras
record footage when bridge collapses
sell video to news media
profit

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Bridges are a kind of metaphor for government.  Neglected, it breaks down and blocks progress
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's the result of deferred maintenance, and poor design.  It's not an immediate threat, but continued erosion could make it a serious problem.  BTDT many times.
View Quote

Muddy run off water and outflows indicate soil being removed from  under the slab.   Lack of vertical concrete or sheet pile cut off walls under the slab,  burrowing mammals,   broken drainage system and  most likely not doing any maintenance grouting under the slab all contributed.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

RR cops are a real bitch and they are given powers that are similar to game wardens.  So watch your cornhole bud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#42]
It will eventually collapse. Just depends on when.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#43]
In before it's blamed on Californians moving to Texas.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In before it's blamed on Californians moving to Texas.
View Quote

LOL

You know its your fault.  And New York thanks you for taking the heat.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Maybe we should create a program/source of funding to replace and repair bridges...
View Quote

10%?
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Some Henry's 208 should fix it right up
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Attachment Attached File

In blue: I don't know how you guys do it there, but all the bridge pilings I've seen driven up here are driven vertically. That looks to be an issue to me, but I could be wrong. Also, could be camera angle giving an optical illusion. Either way, that shit should not be exposed like that.
View Quote

It depends what it is doing. It may be to resist lateral movement. It is also more likely to be part of the abutment than the bridge.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Yup.  TXDOT handy work right there.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#50]
<< Bridge Inspector sitting in a inspection training class.

This thread should be pretty interesting.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top