Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:41:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:43:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the standard notation for the absolute value of X.

Eighth grade math, probably 6th grade in rural Missouri.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm an engineer and I've never seen "|X|"

Seems fucky for no other purpose than being fucky.

But I've been wrong before. Once.
That's the standard notation for the absolute value of X.

Eighth grade math, probably 6th grade in rural Missouri.

Seemed obvious to me, but you are the first one to state it.  Also agree with the poster that said no units given so the choices are meaningless.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:45:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Dirk dug a hole that is 10 feet deep.

How can you represent the magnitude of the hole's depth?

a). 10
b). -10
c). |10|
d). |-10|

View Quote

Null

OSHA shut Dirk down for lack of proper shoring.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Null

proof of COVID vaccination.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

a). 10
b). -10
c). |10|
d). |-10|

Null

proof of COVID vaccination.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:21:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I never learned about magnitude in school so I honestly have no idea. I went to public school and took all of the “advanced” classes Sounds like your kid is in a good school to introduce things like that in 6th grade.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
in construction we would just say the hole is 10 feet deep
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

a). 10
b). -10
c). |10|
d). |-10|

View Quote

Since the question asks for the representation of magnitude, not the magnitude itself, we use absolute number notation, aka, the "| |". This eliminates choices a and b.
Of the two remaining choices, |-10| is more likely to be the answer. Since they are learning about absolute values and magnitudes, I'm sure the teacher is using the typical number line with negatives to the left of zero and positives to the right; Digging a hole is going towards the negative numbers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]
If I ever get married the wife needs to be way smarter than me. I can’t do school work for shit
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#10]
This is teaching a highly valuable skill that will serve your daughter for eons to come

My kids had an elementary school teacher who made them draw a picture for each word on an assignment.  Now, a word like DOG would be easy enough but something like happy or inquisitive or

The teacher had some of the most ridiculous words and wanted kids to draw pics.  Enough parents complained to the school that this nonsense ended
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its C, technically C and D say the same thing but because the negative sign is meaningless in a magnitude I personally wouldn't write it like that. Depending on the teachers intent, after you apply the |-10| operator it does equal 10 so maybe that's the answer that's being asked for? That's pretty cool she's learning about stuff like that so early!
View Quote

The teachers intent?

Wtf

So same question could be asked to different kids and have different answers, because of the libtard teacher ?  

Neat
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

ETA:

E. Racism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m an engineer and I’ve never seen “|X|”

Seems fucky for no other purpose than being fucky.

But I’ve been wrong before. Once.

Yeah, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

ETA:

E. Racism

F math is racist
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
That’s real retarded sir.

Who applies orders of magnitude to a hole?

If Johnny sends 10 chain letters to 10 friends, and each friend sends 10 letters to other friends how would you express magnitude?

A) 100
B) 1*100
C)10/10
D 10*10
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wait til Dirk tells you he has never seen a tape measure and doesn't know how to measure a length.

I know of an instance where that was true; a university football player hired onto a construction crew for the summer.
View Quote

Have you seen the pool of employees entering the work force lately.

DON'T FUCKING STARE AT THE WELDER.

Calls from the hospital at 230am. Yea boss, I fucking burnt my retinas and eyes. I don't think I will be in today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]
At first I thought A. After some thought,  ound level is zero and he dug 10 feet, D -10.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tell her to ask the teacher to solve 3x+1.
View Quote

Why is that hard?

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#17]
The magnitude of any number x is usually called its absolute value or modulus, denoted by |x|.  The absolute value of a real number r is defined by:

|r| = r, if r = 0
|r| = -r, if r < 0

Absolute value may also be thought of as the number's distance from zero on the real number line. For example, the absolute value of both 70 and -70 is 70.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_(mathematics)

The best answer is d, |-10|.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:13:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Take a look at question 3B here.  It is strangely “similar”.

Hint: The teacher did not make up the question.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#19]
thread title should be. Who is dummer than a 6th grader?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#20]
A, C, and D are the same value.
B is the odd one out.

The use of the word "can" in the question shows that the question is poorly worded.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I can't ever remember using absolute value, but I do remember that in older PLC software you had to take the square root of the square because there was no ABS instruction.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:22:35 AM EDT
[#22]
For starters the || lines mean “absolute value” of whatever’s inside. That means |10| = |-10|, so we can toss out C & D.

That leaves A or B. I’m going with A because, while on a graph you can have negative magnitude… no one measures holes as “negative feet”. That’s just dumb.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

a). 10
b). -10
c). |10|
d). |-10|
View Quote
Since magnitude is an absolute value, the only possible answers are c or d.  c if you consider the hole's depth to be a positive number, or d if you consider the hole's depth to be a negative number.  I think d is the best answer, because the bottom of the hole is 10 feet below the earth's surface.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Poll fail. No Diggler option?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I would expect a little clarity in the original question. Like indicating they intended “below ground level” to be sure the negative number is what they’re looking for.

But they’re digging a hole, so “taking away”, so negative, but they’re talking magnitude so it’s absolute value. D.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If I were 100’ ASL..Wouldn’t the answer be 90’?
View Quote

If that’s your datum

I prefer PDC

Planet Dead Center
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
|-10| is likely what the teacher lady is asking.

But A, C, and D are all valid end answers in my opinion.
View Quote

This.  A==C==D.  If it truly is math.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I may vaguely remember that? It’s used absolutely never in the real world, that I’ve seen.
View Quote

Kind of like Uncle Sugar making me learn Binary, Octal and Hexadecimal for my career field. In sixteen years, I never had a need to use it. It wasn't until I was working as a contractor that I needed it. Then it was to convert octal to binary to pin a connector for the aircrafts tail number for the IFF. Even then we just made a cheat sheet to deal with it. The lowest common denominators on the job required it. We loved handing the completed connector to the QA Inspector to verify our work. He had no clue what he was looking at. We had an extra connector that we just randomly pinned a number into. He would try to do the math, say it was good and hand it back.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tell her to ask the teacher to solve 3x+1.

Why is that hard?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/3X_1-2284935.png

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#30]
A,C, and D are all the same and correct.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:16:41 PM EDT
[#31]
The magnitude of a 10 foot deep hole is 10 because |-10| = 10

The magnitude of an 8 foot mound is 8 because
|8| = 8

You do not keep the abs value brackets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
D is the most inclusive answer.

This is a logics problem, not a math problem.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
D is the most inclusive answer.

This is a logics problem, not a math problem.
View Quote

The relevant CCSS is actually a numeracy/number systems standard. If anybody had read the example written into the content standard, there would be absolutely no question about the fact that the teacher is looking for D.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#34]
So I guess  l l  isn't the sides of the hole, eh?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The MAGNITUDE IS REPRESENTED BY THE ABSOLUTE VALUE.
|10|=|-10| = 10

So in this case any of these above answers would be considered to be correct. The Magnitude wouldn't have a negative sign on it since Magnitude does not indicate direction.
A physical example would be speed vs velocity....velocity has BOTH speed and direction...speed would be the MAGNITUDE

However if one wants to get more technical another way to look at it would be in terms of exponents and base....if we are talking about Base 10 then the order of magnitude (exponent) would be 1 (10^1) (10^1 = 10)

However both |10| and |-10| would equal 10...so we're back to square one (no pun intended)
View Quote

Not all magnitude scales are base 10.  Some use the natural logrithm, which would complicate this even further ....
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No. By definition magnitude does not have direction. Anything with a negative sign is not written correctly, and the absolute value symbol is completely redundant.
View Quote

Its 10 feet down or minus 10 feet "height".  Therefor absolute value of minus 10 is the correct way to evaluate the magnitude, which resolves to 10.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes.

I’ve reviewed thousands of data sheets for every type of valve and instrument imaginable and the magic symbol for absolute value has been used on exactly zero of them.

An absolute unit, like pressure, would be indicated as “psia” as opposed to something like psig for gauge pressure.

ETA: okay, I read an write up on it and it jogged my memory from back in school. Not exactly the same thing as absolute pressure.

|X| is literally never used in petrochemical or oil & gas engineering. I stand by my statement that all answers are wrong because they are unitless.

Also A, C, and D are all the equal. I’d really like to hear the teacher’s explanation for why one is correct.
View Quote

A is mathematically correct but doesn't show the process to derive magnitude.  C is wrong, as you aren't actually taking the absolute value of a positive number, unless some other frame of reference besides ground level is in play.  If ground level is the frame of reference, then D is the "most correct" answer, as it not only is mathematically correct, but also shows the correct process to derive magnitude of an ordinal value that can be either positive or negative.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Dumb questions are dumb.

The hole is 10 feet deep. Tell the court recorder to use whatever notation she likes to indicate that the hole is 10 feet deep.

The purpose of math is to express things as clearly as possible. If you have people arguing, saying multiple answers are identical, then you're asking questions in a stupid manner.

Long story short, a kid would probably learn more by going out in the yard and digging a 10 foot hole than he would by sitting down and answering that question.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#39]
It is the negative absolute value of the negative square root cubed divided by zero.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Something from my daughter's school experience.

Five students were given 15 apples. How many apples did every student receive?

View Quote

LaQueesha, who has been held back 4 times and weights 259 pounds has ALL 15 apples.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
D looks like it has the highest probability of being what they want.
View Quote

Are you saying they all want the D?  
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Are the bracket dodads representative of magnitude?

I honestly do not remember learning about magnitude at any point in school.
View Quote

This, the fuck?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#43]
C |10|.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:03:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Magnitude does not require "direction", it's a scalar number.

Consider a number line, something a sixth grader recognizes.

Dig a 10 foot deep hole.  Put a number line divided in 1 foot segments in the hole aligned along its centerline.

First, place zero at the opening of the hole at grade.  The bottom of the hole is located at -10 feet on the number line.  The depth is |-10|=10 feet.

Put the zero on the number line at the bottom of the hole; the depth is |10| = 10 feet.

Now put the zero 3 feet from the opening.  The depth is |(3 - 0) - (0-7)| = |10| = 10 feet.

10 feet is a scalar value that is the magnitude of the depth in feet.  The number line is not a unit vector, but there is only a tiny step needed to define a unit vector the same as the number line.

View Quote

A quibble.  "Now put the zero 3 feet from the opening.  The depth is |(3 - 0) - (0-7)| = |10| = 10 feet."  I would put that as |(3-0)| + |(0-7)| which evaluates to the same thing but clearer that you are adding two magnitudes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#45]
A, C, and D are all equivalent.  All three of these can correctly indicate the magnitude of depth.  So could “100-90”.

Magnitude of depth is always a positive number.

A hole of negative depth would be a hill.

When my kids were in middle school I saw a ton of ambiguous, stupid questions like these.  The people that approve these questions are morons that have no business teaching children.

If the intent is to illustrate absolute value, that’s an incredibly dumb and ambiguous way to try.

This is a lovely example why the standard semiliterate “any ambiguous bullshit I say is ok as long as you can decipher what I was trying to say”, is a stupid argument.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Plenty of engineers are living kickass lives
View Quote

I laughed way harder at this than I should have, and I am sharing it with all the engineers I know.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

|    |
|    |
|    |
|10|

edit the depth is 10ft
the height is -10ft.
View Quote
What if the ground is 1400ft above sea level?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Null

View Quote

Is this before or after Jose, originally from Honduras and who was picked up in the parking lot at Home Depot earlier that morning, has to be life-flighted (at U.S. taxpayer expense, natch ...) to a trauma center after being dug out of the |-10| foot deep hole after the collapse?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is teaching a highly valuable skill that will serve your daughter for eons to come

My kids had an elementary school teacher who made them draw a picture for each word on an assignment.  Now, a word like DOG would be easy enough but something like happy or inquisitive or

The teacher had some of the most ridiculous words and wanted kids to draw pics.  Enough parents complained to the school that this nonsense ended
View Quote

In real life I have never needed to diagram an English sentence.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
That’s real retarded sir.

Who applies orders of magnitude to a hole?

If Johnny sends 10 chain letters to 10 friends, and each friend sends 10 letters to other friends how would you express magnitude?

A) 100
B) 1*100
C)10/10
D 10*10
View Quote
Trick question, Johnny doesn't have any friends
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top