BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they have, I have not seen anything.

One thing about Harvard is they tend to do what is in the best interests of Harvard.  Sometimes that means (in my opinion) defending something they fucked up.   However, the other side of that, is (and you can observe it in threads like this) is a lot of people that think Harvard is fucking up, just do not like what they are doing (or understand why Harvard does such things)

Universities in general do a lot of stupid liberal shit but Harvard is far from the worst offender. They are just the one you hear about most.  Everyone has an opinion about Harvard (but very few have any real experience) and even when they do the exact same things most everyone else is doing, they make the news.   As long as those two things keep happening, Harvard is relevant.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has Harvard been open with the alumni about their personal experience with the T.M. Landry mess?
If they have, I have not seen anything.

One thing about Harvard is they tend to do what is in the best interests of Harvard.  Sometimes that means (in my opinion) defending something they fucked up.   However, the other side of that, is (and you can observe it in threads like this) is a lot of people that think Harvard is fucking up, just do not like what they are doing (or understand why Harvard does such things)

Universities in general do a lot of stupid liberal shit but Harvard is far from the worst offender. They are just the one you hear about most.  Everyone has an opinion about Harvard (but very few have any real experience) and even when they do the exact same things most everyone else is doing, they make the news.   As long as those two things keep happening, Harvard is relevant.
As an institution, it faces opposition from many directions. The classic Left and its desire to overturn everything, the populist crowd that rejects even the principle of education for the sake of education, and the Right which believes (or purports to believe) it has been infiltrated by the Left.

Add to that the classic populist American rejection of anything presented as “elite,” and it’s a tough row to hoe.

There will always be more field hands than planters in the world, and that’s the fundamental challenge of democracy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And it's increasingly becoming (along with the rest of ivy league) a ring knocker club of slightly above average IQ people with no real value to greater society. That's running on inertia.
View Quote
Yeah, that is not what the cohort at Harvard looks like.  That is absurd and demonstrably false.   The average entrance scores and GPA as well as research output once at Harvard is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My brother in law is a sophomore there. Hes an absolute genius and conservative. Says that the amount of stupid and SJW there is unbearable.
View Quote
It is that way at all but a handful of schools and Harvard is far from the worst.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

AP classes.............Shocked he got into Harvard. I've known some people with really high scores and excellent grades who got rejected............
View Quote
Name recognition,  SJW creds, communist party membership, not asian.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah, that is not what the cohort at Harvard looks like.  That is absurd and demonstrably false.   The average entrance scores and GPA as well as research output once at Harvard is what it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it's increasingly becoming (along with the rest of ivy league) a ring knocker club of slightly above average IQ people with no real value to greater society. That's running on inertia.
It’s always the outliers that get attention. That works for those high achievers getting in, as well as those lingering question of how low achievers with no demonstrable academic competence seem to manage to keep up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It’s always the outliers that get attention. That works for those high achievers getting in, as well as those lingering question of how low achievers with no demonstrable academic competence seem to manage to keep up.
View Quote
Sure, that is the power of a headline.

But I (and obviously you) know how outliers actually work.    Of course, back to your perception argument....yep.  People will march into battle over how they feel, no matter how wrong.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.unz.com/isteve/if-harvard-had-colorblind-admissions-its-black-share-would-fall-from-15-8-to-0-9/

Quotes a guy who says:

"If Harvard admitted students based solely on the applicant scoring in the top decile of an "academic index" (=test scores + HS performance), the racial/ethnic composition of its freshman class would be expected to change as follows:

White -6%
Black -94%
Hispanic -82%
Asian +108%"
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Total POS!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#9]
FPNI.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
http://www.unz.com/isteve/if-harvard-had-colorblind-admissions-its-black-share-would-fall-from-15-8-to-0-9/

Quotes a guy who says:

"If Harvard admitted students based solely on the applicant scoring in the top decile of an "academic index" (=test scores + HS performance), the racial/ethnic composition of its freshman class would be expected to change as follows:

White -6%
Black -94%
Hispanic -82%
Asian +108%"
View Quote
Actually, I literally already addressed that in this thread.

Even the students with lower scores AND almost all legacies are still nationally competitive.   I think that gets lost in this issue.  The black kid they let in over the better performing Asian is still an absolute Rock Star.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Even the students with lower scores AND almost all legacies are still nationally competitive.   I think that gets lost in this issue.  The black kid they let in over the better performing Asian is still an absolute Rock Star.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quotes a guy who says:

White -6%
Black -94%
Hispanic -82%
Asian +108%"

So it's not based on merit.

So like I said a really smart white kid from West Virginia has no chance. But a slightly above average West Africa does because : black, African, speaks English (at a nominal level) and speaks what ever tribe speak they have natively.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sailer? Didn't hear you in this thread.

"Pnin is calculating that if Harvard simply selected admittees randomly among the top 10% of its applicants (as measured on test scores and high school GPA) then
- the Asian share at Harvard would rise from 24.9% to 51.7%,
- the white share would drop slightly from 37.6% to 35.5%,
- the Hispanic share would plummet from 14.9% to 2.7%
- the black share would vanish from 15.8% to 0.9%."

Probably shows a dramatic drop for Blacks, for both for IQ tests and influenceable other reasons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sailer? Didn't hear you in that thread.

"Pnin is calculating that if Harvard simply selected admittees randomly among the top 10% of its applicants (as measured on test scores and high school GPA) then

Probably shows a dramatic drop for Blacks, for both for IQ tests and influenceable other reasons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sailer? Didn't hear you in that thread.

Do you honestly believe you can measure “merit” with just a set of numbers?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So it's not based on merit.

So like I said a really smart white kid from West Virginia has no chance. But a slightly above average West Africa does because : black, African, speaks English (at a nominal level) and speaks what ever tribe speak they have natively.
View Quote
Define merit and now force that view on one of the most successful schools of all time.   That is exactly what you are trying to do.

And again, you suck at understanding this issue.   out of 2 million they get their pick of 2000.  Most everyone, even legacies is from the top 2% nationally, which is about 40,000 kids headed to college every year.   Even if they take Black number 4,187 over Asian number 1,087, the black kid is still one of the brightest kids in the country.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
*sigh*

You make it sound like the minorities getting in are not impressive.  I have been over how silly that is.    No one is arguing that, on average, they perform lower than the Asians and whites.....but it seems to escape folks that we are still talking about the best performing minorities in the nations, which are a lot smarter than the vast majority of the population, even if they are running behind the best performing Asians.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
*sigh*

You make it sound like the minorities getting in are not impressive.  I have been over how silly that is.    No one is arguing that, on average, they perform lower than the Asians and whites.....but it seems to escape folks that we are still talking about the best performing minorities in the nations, which are a lot smarter than the vast majority of the population, even if they are running behind the best performing Asians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

what are the Nations?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised a Cal State U rejected him

Times have changed
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
he'll get all the tutors he could possibly need, and a liberal arts degree.  my guess Communications
but wtf, a a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on the SAT and Cal State rejected him???
somethings not adding up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Political grandstanding from leftists.

Not surprised.

I would be surprised if he actually graduated on his own merit though.
he'll get all the tutors he could possibly need, and a liberal arts degree.  my guess Communications
but wtf, a a 4.2 GPA and scored 1270 on the SAT and Cal State rejected him???
somethings not adding up
No one gets rejected from Cal State other than the two Cal Polys which are more selective.

The whole mission of Cal State is so everyone can get a college degree, even if your HS GPA was 2.0.

But with all the Chinese coming in, I suppose there is limited room these days.

There's a 3-tier preference system.
1. California residents #1.
2. US residents #2.
3. Foreign students #3.

I don't think they follow it like they used to because they profit more from accepting non-residents.

So, if anything, he should have had a better chance.

I don't believe someone with a 4.2 GPA gets rejected from CSU Long beach. Maybe Cal Poly, but Long Beach?

This story is fubar.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

what are the Nations?
View Quote
That is the best you got?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:32:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Back in 2001 I had the same GPA and better test scores. No way in the world I would have gotten in freaking Harvard. Maybe if I was sucking some D or something...
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1270 SAT is pretty respectable.
View Quote
That's the bare minimum at most University of California campuses. At the better campuses, the average SAT is 1400-1450.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
the value of a Harvard degree today is in the alumni network it opens you up to, not in the academic credential.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That really cheapens the value of a Harvard degree.
the value of a Harvard degree today is in the alumni network it opens you up to, not in the academic credential.
Pretty sure it's always been that way.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what are the Nations?
So you mean goyim?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lets think about that.  People say things like that....

Here is what we do know.

Almost the entire student body at Harvard College (the main undergrad school at Harvard and what we are talking about) is a top 2%, in terms of class rank and test scores, in the nation, with a majority being well into the top 1%.

Most having stellar, best of the best, extracurricular resumes as well.

These are the brightest and most highly motivated kids in the country and world.

Harvard has some of the most accomplished faculty in the world.  Both in terms of real world experience and academic chops.

Harvard is the wealthiest school in the world.

It produces some of the best and most advanced research in the world....continuously.

Considering those realities (and soooo many more) it is absurd to take the position that it is a weak school with a powerful network.  That makes utterly no sense....but it sure does make people feel good to think that.

It is both a good school AND has, what is arguably, the most powerful alumni network in the world.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

So the goyim?
View Quote
Really? That is what you get from that?    A simple conversation about statistics and you see a Jewish boogie man over a spelling error?

Fuck it.  Yeah, your screwed.  A team of kung fu Rabbis will be over to your house in about 87 minutes to fuck you out of your grandpa's nickel collection.  Oh, and the next time you try to use an ATM, it will give you the finger. Pray we don't alter the deal further
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Your hate for something does not make it dumb.  It can be wrong, but even that is disputable.  And I agree with you, but I do not let how I feel about something change my ability to recognize if it was successful.  No, that does not mean I think Obama was a successful POTUS.  However, he never wanted someone like me to think that.  His goal was to become the most powerful man in the world and do things as he saw best.  He did that, twice.

Being President of the U.S. statistically averages out to well over a 1 in 1 Billion event.

Almost 18% of Presidents (8) have gone to Harvard.  (More than any other school)   Perhaps they are ruining the world and horrible....but that is a feeling, not a result. And Harvard is the clear winner.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Really? That is what you get from that?    A simple conversation about statistics and you see a Jewish boogie man over a spelling error?

Fuck it.  Yeah, your screwed.  A team of kung fu Rabbis will be over to your house in about 87 minutes to fuck you out of your grandpa's nickel collection.  Oh, and the next time you try to use and ATM, it will give you the finger. Pray we don't alter the deal further
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the goyim?

Fuck it.  Yeah, your screwed.  A team of kung fu Rabbis will be over to your house in about 87 minutes to fuck you out of your grandpa's nickel collection.  Oh, and the next time you try to use and ATM, it will give you the finger. Pray we don't alter the deal further
https://kehilanews.com/2016/11/16/what-does-the-hebrew-word-goyim-mean/

"The Hebrew word goyim is the word that the Jewish people use in Hebrew to refer to non-Jews.

Goyim is not and should not be taken as an insult – it simply is the plural of the word goy, which mean a nation"

Hey you're the one who said "from the nation's"

Then when I asked for clarification you said "Is thats all you got?"

Now when I say what I think you meant you act like I attacked you and you throw up a paragraph of strawmen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
*sigh*

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*sigh*

There's a graph here.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/10/22/asian-american-admit-sat-scores/

For 2016, the average Black SAT is about 715. The average Asian SAT is about 770.

The acceptance rate is higher than the enrollment rate because the best Black kids are recruited by all the top universities. Harvard doesn't always win the contest.

It's a private college, but the fact acceptance is based so much on race and not grades alone is IMO, very troubling. It diminishes the degree received by minorities; at least the face value of it. If I'm evaluating a minority hire I end up putting far more weight on the transcript with Blacks. In my business, it doesn't really matter because I rarely see Black candidates to begin with (software dev.)
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

"The Hebrew word goyim is the word that the Jewish people use in Hebrew to refer to non-Jews.

Goyim is not and should not be taken as an insult – it simply is the plural of the word goy, which mean a nation"

Now when I say what I think you meant you act like I attacked you and you throw up a paragraph of strawmen.
View Quote
Actually, I explained it well. You saw a Jewish boogie man from a random spelling error.

Get a grip.   You are about to tangent off into space.....which the Jews own and there will be a tax when you get there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here is what we do know.

Almost the entire student body at Harvard College (the main undergrad school at Harvard and what we are talking about) is a top 2%, in terms of class rank and test scores, in the nation, with a majority being well into the top 1%.

These are the brightest and most highly motivated kids in the country and world.

Harvard has some of the most accomplished faculty in the world.  Both in terms of real world experience and academic chops.

It produces some of the best and most advanced research in the world....continuously.

Considering those realities (and soooo many more) it is absurd to take the position that it is a weak school with a powerful network.  That makes utterly no sense....but it sure does make people feel good to think that.

It is both a good school AND has, what is arguably, the most powerful alumni network in the world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is what we do know.

I'm not knocking the school. But remember, the idea of the "Gentleman's 'C'" came out of the Ivy League.

Also, the idea of legacies does not exist outside those same private school.

There's always been two classes of students there: Those who earned their way in and those who bought their way in.

And by 'bought' I don't necessarily mean money. Political capital works wonders as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the goyim?

The asinine, “I can’t address your point so I will home in on and highlight a typo or grammar mixup to lord over him with” is such a widely used trope here as to not even be worth mentioning. Your pretending not to be aware of it is good entertainment. The added appeal to the mob is just an added bonus,
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Harvard is going to love it when Camera Hogg is pictured with his fist raised and wearing a Harvard sweater.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There's a graph here.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2018/10/22/asian-american-admit-sat-scores/

For 2016, the average Black SAT is about 715. The average Asian SAT is about 770.

The acceptance rate is higher than the enrollment rate because the best Black kids are recruited by all the top universities. Harvard doesn't always win the contest.

It's a private college, but the fact acceptance is based so much on race and not grades alone is IMO, very troubling. It diminishes the degree received by minorities; at least the face value of it. If I'm evaluating a minority hire I end up putting far more weight on the transcript with Blacks. In my business, it doesn't really matter because I rarely see Black candidates to begin with (software dev.)
View Quote
The graph proves what I am saying.  Lets try it again.

1. No one is arguing that some groups perform much better.
2. Because of that, Harvard lets in some "lower" performing minorities, at the expense of high performing ones.
3. The "lower" performing minorities are still nationally competitive students.  They are not average or a little above average, or "ghetto" as some would imply. They are statistically still top students.

In your link, Harvard describes it this way, and they have a point.  It may not be fully correct, but they do have a point.

“The Harvard applicant pool is overwhelmingly strong on all dimensions,” school lawyers wrote in a June court filing. “Given the extraordinary pool of applicants, many of whom have the ability to succeed academically at Harvard, the admissions process is designed to identify those students who manifest the qualities, academic and otherwise, that suggest they will become engaged participants and leaders in an increasingly diverse, complex society."
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Actually, I explained it well. You saw a Jewish boogie man from a random spelling error.

Get a grip.   You are about to tangent off into space.....which the Jews own and there will be a tax when you get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/n2RdSS4o88A[/youtube]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#36]
My son was rejected from Harvard.  He had a 35 ACT, super scored to a 36 which equals a 1580 or 1590, is a minority and a legacy.  No way a 1270 gets you in to Harvard.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:34:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not knocking the school. But remember, the idea of the "Gentleman's 'C'" came out of the Ivy League.

Also, the idea of legacies does not exist outside those same private school.

There's always been two classes of students there: Those who earned their way in and those who bought their way in.

And by 'bought' I don't necessarily mean money. Political capital works wonders as well.
View Quote
For some reason, I am unable to get across a statistical reality about how things are not "normal" at the very peak of a system.

You are telling me about this "two classes of students."   When were you at Harvard?   Where do you derive such intimate knowledge?   I have two academic credentials from Harvard, one is a Master's. Again the Legacies are almost always nationally competitive students.    Is it so hard to believe that the children of very smart and ultra high performing people, who pass along to their children such genes and the best educations, would be smart kids?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My son was rejected from Harvard.  He had a 35 ACT, super scored to a 36 which equals a 1580 or 1590, is a minority and a legacy.  No way a 1270 gets you in to Harvard.
View Quote
In any given year,  3ish% (which is 60-75 people)  probably get in with that or worse.    Someone who became a national celebrity activist at 17 (that is what happened, no matter how we feel about the little shit ass)  would probably (and has) get such a spot.  A few get in because of 7-8 figure donations and a few for various other reasons.

The other 97% are nationally competitive students, with over 80% of those being the top 1%.  The remaining 17% wont fall outside of the top 5%.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#39]
BTW, the Harvard shooting club is one of the oldest clubs at Harvard.  Feel free to donate.  Chances are good (better than from any other school) some of them will end up billionaires, senators and maybe even president.   This is even an official Harvard website.

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~shooting/
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Fuck it.  Yeah, your screwed.  A team of kung fu Rabbis will be over to your house in about 87 minutes to fuck you out of your grandpa's nickel collection.  Oh, and the next time you try to use an ATM, it will give you the finger. Pray we don't alter the deal further
View Quote

@neshomamench

holy shit, i lol'ed hard at the above.  well played, Cantab, well played.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is simply not true.  People do fail out of Harvard.

Again,  of the 2 million or so kids going to college every year, Harvard is usually the most competitive normal school and gets about 2000 of them.   What results would you expect from a cohort that is mostly the absolute smartest and most motivated kids in the country?

We are not talking about kids who did really well in school, we are talking about kids that made the news for how smart they are and what projects they did.

Considering it is a student body of valedictorians that speak 3 languages, play an instrument well,  have published research and were class presidents,  it is a pretty tense place sometimes.  A lot of high strung over achieving people.   These are not often people who fail.
View Quote
All of this contradicts the fact that Hogg was accepted to go there.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:20:06 AM EDT
[#43]
I have to ask with all this talk of Harvard being the best of the best of the best... how will someone with slightly above average grades actually perform at the school?

I mean, my SAT scores back in my day were equal to Hoggs, and from the picture being painted here I would have been completely ill prepared for Harvard. I got above average grades at the college I went to, but the college I went to was an art college. I wasn’t splitting atoms or theorizing physics, I just had to know my painters, understand English writing, and know how to film stuff. Put me in an advanced math or chemistry class and it would take every fiber of my being to hold an honest C. I don’t think I’d survive... and that is someone who was a solid B+ student. Then again ima type b personality, and I don’t think people like me go to Harvard. People like me go to art college then spend my life working in television and running small businesses.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

All of this contradicts the fact that Hogg was accepted to go there.
View Quote
So, you did not read all the other data I posted.

I have already addressed such things.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I thought he was at Subway getting a footlong during the shooting.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:38:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have to ask with all this talk of Harvard being the best of the best of the best... how will someone with slightly above average grades actually perform at the school?

I mean, my SAT scores back in my day were equal to Hoggs, and from the picture being painted here I would have been completely ill prepared for Harvard. I got above average grades at the college I went to, but the college I went to was an art college. I wasn’t splitting atoms or theorizing physics, I just had to know my painters, understand English writing, and know how to film stuff. Put me in an advanced math or chemistry class and it would take every fiber of my being to hold an honest C. I don’t think I’d survive... and that is someone who was a solid B+ student. Then again ima type b personality, and I don’t think people like me go to Harvard. People like me go to art college then spend my life working in television and running small businesses.
View Quote
It has been my observation that someone of average intelligence can get through most any college program. A strong enough will can make up for being average.

The problem for me was, because knowledge and grasp had always come so easy to me, I was somewhat lazy.    While the work at Harvard was usually not taxing, there was soooooooo much of it.  The volume was my struggle....again, because I was lazy.   This is where the folks who had to always work harder to make up for not being as smart really stood out.   They were used to the grind and grind they did.  I had to put all my effort into forcing myself to grind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:41:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's pretty hard for a non legacy white, non Jew, non POC to get into Harvard.

https://nypost.com/2017/08/04/minorities-make-up-majority-of-harvards-incoming-class/
View Quote
Building their own little utopia of what they think America should be under the guise of what the real world is.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 1:53:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Building their own little utopia of what they think America should be under the guise of what the real world is.
View Quote
What does that mean?

The U.S. is becoming more and more diverse.  With the exception of the high over representation of Asians (and the fact that a huge chunk of the "White" are really Jewish)  The amount of Blacks and Hispanics are under represented compared to the U.S. population.

Harvard is actually in trouble for trying to normalize their admission to look more like the US population.  They have throttled Asian admissions to let in more non Asian minorities.

Ultimately, in the real world, as a group, Asians and Jews do over perform.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:01:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It has been my observation that someone of average intelligence can get through most any college program. A strong enough will can make up for being average.

The problem for me was, because knowledge and grasp had always come so easy to me, I was somewhat lazy.    While the work at Harvard was usually not taxing, there was soooooooo much of it.  The volume was my struggle....again, because I was lazy.   This is where the folks who had to always work harder to make up for not being as smart really stood out.   They were used to the grind and grind they did.  I had to put all my effort into forcing myself to grind.  
View Quote
Using that logic I “willed” my way through many high school classes and a few semesters of college.

I’m just trying to understand how by all accounts a slightly above average on paper kid is going to handle such an environment surrounded by polyglots, geniuses, and all-state winners. Your notoriety doesn’t translate to honorary degrees in the real world. It honestly sounds horrible to me, but as already said I’m not the person who goes to, nor wanted to go to Harvard. I wanted to go to Cal Arts, but nope...grades weren’t good enough. But in hindsight that was probably for the best as well, as the Cal Arts programs sounded like Harvard for artists... all grind and demoralizing critique 24/7. Whereas my college experience was some grind, but mostly constant projects that required you to be creative. And for some folks constantly being creative is worse than soul crushing crunch any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Using that logic I “willed” my way through many high school classes and a few semesters of college.

I’m just trying to understand how by all accounts a slightly above average on paper kid is going to handle such an environment surrounded by polyglots, geniuses, and all-state winners. Your notoriety doesn’t translate to honorary degrees in the real world. It honestly sounds horrible to me, but as already said I’m not the person who goes to, nor wanted to go to Harvard. I wanted to go to Cal Arts, but nope...grades weren’t good enough. But in hindsight that was probably for the best as well, as the Cal Arts programs sounded like Harvard for artists... all grind and demoralizing critique 24/7. Whereas my college experience was some grind, but mostly constant projects that required you to be creative. And for some folks constantly being creative is worse than soul crushing crunch any day of the week.
View Quote
That is something he is going to have to figure out, but as has been said, scores are not everything.

Lots, perhaps almost all, do not live up to their potential in high school.  There are lots of kids who are average, or even above average in terms of grades and scores who could have done a lot better.

Most of the kids getting into a place like Harvard are the kids who lived up to their potential.   Some amount of other kids could have, but didn't.

So what happens when a "could have" but didn't gets in?  I do not know if this shit ass is such a person, but my point is, if the could haves step up to the plate, they most certainly can.

Harvard's position, and they have a point, is that along with taking the very best who did, they try to identify some of the could haves that have huge potential.   Harvard has a monumental track record of making pretty good choices when it comes to picking people with potential.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top