User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
In the early nineties, I spent a year in Montgomery, AL and went to Destin probably twice a month.  At the time, it was about as much a sports-fishing spot as a beach vacation one.  Loved it.  I was back six or seven years ago, more beachy, but still loved it.

Hit the Donut Hole about 4 AM for people watching, Dewey Destin's for grilled fish sandwiches at lunch.

and if you don't like fish sandwiches get the bacon wrapped crab stuffed shrimp.

GR

Make sure you go to the original Dewey Destin on Calhoun, not the one on the harbor.  Little local's secret.  

Yup...there's alot of "best" seafood places around here.

Ain't it cool that all these ARFcommers love our home? You better tell him where the good fishing is it Max!
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In the early nineties, I spent a year in Montgomery, AL and went to Destin probably twice a month.  At the time, it was about as much a sports-fishing spot as a beach vacation one.  Loved it.  I was back six or seven years ago, more beachy, but still loved it.

Hit the Donut Hole about 4 AM for people watching, Dewey Destin's for grilled fish sandwiches at lunch.

and if you don't like fish sandwiches get the bacon wrapped crab stuffed shrimp.

GR

Make sure you go to the original Dewey Destin on Calhoun, not the one on the harbor.  Little local's secret.  

Yup...there's alot of "best" seafood places around here.

Ain't it cool that all these ARFcommers love our home? You better tell him where the good fishing is it Max!

Good luck.  I won't even tell my own father where my good spots are.

Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We used to go to the Destin area a bit when I was at LSU in the late 80's - Spring break and the such. I've also been back with friends quite a few times for family vacations. The area has exploded in the number of people since then of course. It's crowded as all get-out in the summer.

The last time we went, we drove a little further to Blue Mountain Beach if I recall correctly. It's a little further East from Destin, but a lot quieter and not nearly as much traffic in the immediate area. In general, we've always done the condo rentals in conjunction with another family. The last place we went was really posh.[ETA[ I just checked - it's the "Adagio":

http://www.30arealestatenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Adagio1.jpg

I was involved in that project, but I'm not saying how. It's a damn nice place, that's for sure. The same developers built two smaller developments a little further west.

Were you operating the crane?

NEGATIVE. I'm design but heard plenty about that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What's the consensus as a vacation spot?

My wife and I are in our 40s, not looking for crazy night life. Good restaurants, easygoing and laid back attitude for a week would be great.

Destin is a great spot, IMO.

It's even better in October. Weather in the 70's every day. Restaurants aren't crowded. No traffic.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
We stay on 30A in Santa Rosa/Blue Mountain.  Beautiful, sparsely populated, and close enough to Destin to go to restaurants.

That's where we've stayed the last couple times down. Nice area.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We used to go to the Destin area a bit when I was at LSU in the late 80's - Spring break and the such. I've also been back with friends quite a few times for family vacations. The area has exploded in the number of people since then of course. It's crowded as all get-out in the summer.

The last time we went, we drove a little further to Blue Mountain Beach if I recall correctly. It's a little further East from Destin, but a lot quieter and not nearly as much traffic in the immediate area. In general, we've always done the condo rentals in conjunction with another family. The last place we went was really posh.[ETA[ I just checked - it's the "Adagio":

I was involved in that project, but I'm not saying how. It's a damn nice place, that's for sure. The same developers built two smaller developments a little further west.

I saw it.

It sucked.

Edit: just recognized your user name.  Do they have issues in your area there?   I hadn't heard anything.  I know the roof has some, um, "opportunities".
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 12:46:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw it.

It sucked.

Edit: just recognized your user name.  Do they have issues in your area there?   I hadn't heard anything.  I know the roof has some, um, "opportunities".

I think I'm free and clear to discuss.  *looks for global release...*  

The roof is an absolute goat rope. I don't know all of the ins and outs, but the roofer's attorney was at EVERYBODY'S depositions looking for any little item to try to hang on someone else.
The HVAC/plumbing issues were the garden variety "mold and mildew", "rust on pipes" items. But there were a couple of good ones - who knew Bryant made a 6-ton residential heat pump? I had fun beating the HOA lawyer up over that one . We paid out a little for some sweating drain lines because we just wanted out - condensate lines in some units would sweat occasionally. Wouldn't it lean more toward design issues if they repeated the same behavior in all of the units? I have a theory that it probably had more to do with the gulf-front units having their sliders left open to the balcony so the foreigners () can hear the surf while they sit in the AC....

And I didn't get to see the crane. Probably a good thing.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Anything from Seaside to the end of Destin is great.  Prices vary from really pricey to cheap and you can also do Sandestin resort.

Cape San Blas is also a good place with shitty cell reception to help in getting "away"

We come down to Cape San Blas usually twice a year. Aside from the beautiful beach, the crap cell reception is another great

allure.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top