BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. From a well respected business school that kicks the Texas schools asses every year in the stock challenge.
View Quote

Is that the Tony the Tiger school you speak of?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Piled
higher and
Deeper
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:38:12 AM EDT
[#4]
BA & JD.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I went to Auburn University.

I repaired an iso-static hydraulic press that the professors/engineers couldn't figure out.

It cost them $650 an hour plus parts and travel expenses.  3 hour minimum, I was there 15 minutes.

I didn't join the fraternity.

I have been to a few other major universities, but it was for pussy in those cases. No service report.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
98.6 F.  It's all the degree you'll ever need in lyfe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#7]
B.S. Manufacturing Engineering... Use it everyday for the past 30+ years.

If the airplane you are flying or riding on starts with an "F", "7", or "A"... I most likely have worked on the components in the hot section of the engine.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else seeing echoes of the many tattoo threads?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
BA in Psych, mostly focused on biopsychology and evolutionary psych.
Not pushing my kids to go to college.
My oldest works for me in IT. He has a GED but is crushing it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Liberal arts from the Ivy League of the mid-west.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#11]
No.  
I can read and comprehend.
I can find anything I need to learn at the
local library or my own library.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I am grew up "Middle Class" at best.  It was, to me, an imperative my son go to college from the very beginning.  Now again, I am a STEM person by choice and self training.  I taught my son multiplication before 1st grade, technology and science was a passion I did try to instill, but not force.  

So, he did go to state college, and made life changing connections.  Hell, he was a TA in his 1st year grading others work over his summer off.  The success he enjoys now is part my determination for his better life (though he won't admit it, lol) and part his exposure in people and experiences while in school.

View Quote

Coincidence, but an interesting one given ropwoo's avatar location. We cruise the lake sometimes just to look at the houses, what people are having done and the new builds going up. An amazing number of them have Wazzu (WSU...Washington State University) flags flying off the back. WSU is a state university, and almost without exception these are multi-million dollar vacation homes owned by people who have done very, very well.

I'm starting to think WSU is a cult, and if you don't know the secret handshake you're not getting that incredibly lucrative contract. Yea, I know it's partially a function of geography, and it's a large university, but...damn.

Sorry...@ropwoo
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Masters in Business Management
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes and a masters. Big whoop.

I’m also a reverend through the universal life church( I think 89% of GD is a reverend when we had that thread in the olden days) and was also athlete of the week in 1984.

And student of the week in 1st grade 1976.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have a slide rule, but I have no idea how to use it.  They were long gone when I entered the engineering classroom in 1988.  I would still like to learn.

I never liked those sideways HPs.
View Quote

Those are fighting words.

And buy the ultimate slide rule and learn to use

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In a way, this is a private chat, lol.

So I did not finish college.  Not even close.

I am grew up "Middle Class" at best.  It was, to me, an imperative my son go to college from the very beginning.  Now again, I am a STEM person by choice and self training.  I taught my son multiplication before 1st grade, technology and science was a passion I did try to instill, but not force.  

So, he did go to state college, and made life changing connections.  Hell, he was a TA in his 1st year grading others work over his summer off.  The success he enjoys now is part my determination for his better life (though he won't admit it, lol) and part his exposure in people and experiences while in school.

Now to clarify, he was / is STEM.  His focus was tight and only on the things that needed to accomplish that goal.  "Under water basket weaving" was never on the schedule.  Literally an all work no play time education wise.  

We did spit the cost 75 (me) / 25 (him).  And I am proud to say each of us have paid everything in full.

ETA: He is now very successful and happy in his career.  He has been involved in numerous projects / fields and has been a champion at them all.  I am just a happy father who always wanted more for my kids than I had.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I work with UHNW individuals, so I get exposure to their thoughts pretty regularly. It's a very interesting perspective.

I 100000% agree that exposure to various thoughts has a value all on its own. The classical liberal education is worthwhile, and I'm very sad we've moved away from it to more "job training" style education that college has become. I was a philosophy major (before I dropped out) and it helped broaden my thought process in ways I have only just now started to appreciate almost 20 years later.

As for the middle class comment, when I was a kid, we were told that the only path to success lay in going to college. Our parents bought this hook, line, and sinker, and ended up spending astronomical amounts to send kids to even state schools. I have a bias here since I do not have a college degree and have made a very good living, and I fully admit this bias, but I think that for most folks college ends up being a waste. The whole lifetime earnings thing is better with a college degree, but as the costs go up, that ROI greatly diminishes.

In a way, this is a private chat, lol.

So I did not finish college.  Not even close.

Now to clarify, he was / is STEM.  His focus was tight and only on the things that needed to accomplish that goal.  "Under water basket weaving" was never on the schedule.  Literally an all work no play time education wise.  

We did spit the cost 75 (me) / 25 (him).  And I am proud to say each of us have paid everything in full.

ETA: He is now very successful and happy in his career.  He has been involved in numerous projects / fields and has been a champion at them all.  I am just a happy father who always wanted more for my kids than I had.

UHNW individuals are another matter.
Some inherited.
Some had massive head starts.
Some were so brilliant they dropped out of college and still crushed it.
Some that finished were already en route to their goals before or during.

A massive disproportion of the self made ones have 99.5th percentile and above IQs.
With similar percentiles in drive, perseverance, etc.
And the desires and interests that focus on wealth.
And disproportionately involved in financial services, banking, etc.
It’s like less than 0.005% of people.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Coincidence, but an interesting one given ropwoo's avatar location. We cruise the lake sometimes just to look at the houses, what people are having done and the new builds going up. An amazing number of them have Wazzu (WSU...Washington State University) flags flying off the back. WSU is a state university, and almost without exception these are multi-million dollar vacation homes owned by people who have done very, very well.

I'm starting to think WSU is a cult, and if you don't know the secret handshake you're not getting that incredibly lucrative contract. Yea, I know it's partially a function of geography, and it's a large university, but...damn.

Sorry...@ropwoo
View Quote

I went to CWU, the cults didn't want me That said, don't buy into the argument that those flying college banners actually graduated from those colleges. I couldn't tell you how many people here in GA fly the UGA flag and can't even spell college let alone attended UGA other than the drive up for a football game.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just in from Spain, a brand new Collector's Edition, from a recent limited production run from HP's license partner.  

https://i.imgur.com/PJcGh28.png

Supposedly has the (fairly esoteric) bugs from the Limited Edition resolved, is 100 times faster than prior editions, and has more accessible memory.  

View Quote

Thanks for the link!  Mine lasted about 25 years and still sold for like twice what I paid for it to someone for parts.
Looks like these are shipped from the Czech Republic and out of stock.
How did you pay and how long did it take?
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Indeed.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:34:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I went to CWU, the cults didn't want me That said, don't buy into the argument that those flying college banners actually graduated from those colleges. I couldn't tell you how many people here in GA fly the UGA flag and can't even spell college let alone attended UGA other than the drive up for a football game.

ROCK6
View Quote

I do see a ton of parents flying flags where their kids are/went to school.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No.  
I can read and comprehend.
I can find anything I need to learn at the
local library or my own library.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/78605/IMG_3373_jpeg-2934985.JPG
View Quote

I read very fast, usually an hour or two before I go to bed.
Between 50-100 books a year.
You can learn a ton.

But there is a ton to learn that only happens in groups at certain places and with equipment and and people and access etc. you can’t do alone at home.

That hasn’t trickled into peer reviewed pubs yet and won’t be in books for several years.
Or direct from the mouth of a leading expert that will never write a book.

I think you would like it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#23]
BSME, MBA
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#24]
BS in Radio/TV Broadcasting. After graduation, I found out there were other ways to starve to death than working in radio. Ended up at GTE as an installer/repairman so I was still working in communications, kinda.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:07:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, and working on my MBA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes. From a well respected business school that kicks the Texas schools asses every year in the stock challenge.
View Quote

Your insecurities are showing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The Army paid for my BS
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

ROCK6
View Quote

That's a good point, if your kid(s) and a large part of your discretionary income goes to a school I guess you get to claim affiliation
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:18:52 PM EDT
[#29]
These have done more for my than either of my bachelor's.

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one but don't use it. I'd have been better off not going to college and just doing what I do.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm seventy years old (November, this year) Journeyman Ironworker, BA in History and Political Science, MAEL (master of arts in educational leadership), 11 years in construction, 22 years in education, and retired. I still serve as a substitute teacher about 20 - 30 times a year.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:44:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, mechanical engineering.  

I've been in the field since I was 18, figured I might as well get a degree that applies to my work.

My experience and degree has allowed me to make the money I make these days.  We (wife and kid) live very comfortable in one of the most expensive areas in this country, the DMV.

The funny thing is, my little brother doesn't have a degree.  He started as a mechanic at a local dealership, and now he's running 2 dealerships and making $500k a year.  I'm really proud of him.  Saturday night he sent me pictures of the new corvette he bought.  I'm jealous and proud, lol.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/t4MxkGZ3/PXL_20221019_201112429_2.jpg
View Quote

Nicely done. I have posted this many times on this forum: Always add value to yourself. Whether it's a degree, cert, or weekend/evening class... Keep learning. I graduated decades ago, still take classes and learn new stuff. I'm valuable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Army paid for my BS
View Quote

Seems a pretty poetic and fair exchange, BS for a BS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#35]
No and I make more than most with advanced degrees.  How's that for a flex.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Nicely done. I have posted this many times on this forum: Always add value to yourself. Whether it's a degree, cert, or weekend/evening class... Keep learning. I graduated decades ago, still take classes and learn new stuff. I'm valuable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/t4MxkGZ3/PXL_20221019_201112429_2.jpg

Pushing 70 and retired, I still take classes in order to stave off mental diminishment. By the time my father was my age he was already starting to show cognitive decline.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#37]
BA Economics and BS Geography/GIS from University of Illinois.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Word. Well said.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
BS, because even though one can run the equivalent of a mid-size corporation with 900+ folks none of that means shit unless you have a piece of paper that says "degree" on it.  Otherwise I wouldn't have gone through the asspain of earning one before I retired.

Too many of my peers remain vastly underemployed because they don't have that bullshit credential.
View Quote

Yes, it’s bullshit that completely capable people are denied opportunities because they don’t have a degree. But that’s the situation.  If you want those opportunities, you get on board with the criteria. Otherwise, you carry around the resentment over the “bullshit credential” AND you don’t get access to the opportunities.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I can't read two good
View Quote

You misspelled gUd.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The N in UNM stands for Nawledge from which I did mastriculate from.
View Quote

Sir, this a Wendy’s.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

That REALLY depends on the degree and from where in many cases.

An MBA from Harvard business or a BS in MechE from MIT is not a waste of money.

Hell, an engineering degree from any accredited school has a good ROI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why?
waste of money

That REALLY depends on the degree and from where in many cases.

An MBA from Harvard business or a BS in MechE from MIT is not a waste of money.

Hell, an engineering degree from any accredited school has a good ROI.

I have a bba from Texas A&M. It’s a business generalist degree, although the degree track has a name (operations and information systems mgmt). Not only does the degree consistently open doors for me, I also have a huge network of people that support me at the drop of a hat. And that’s just the Aggies that I know personally, not counting the entire Aggie network that will consider me because of our affiliation.

A post just asking why and stating it’s a waste of money is ridiculous and I think is a projection.

Yes, you can make money without an education. My brother earns circles around me and he has very little formal education. But he likes to put his mind to other pursuits and education isn’t his thing.

I do well in industrial sales. But I want to learn and test myself. I want to explore if I have what it takes to be a leader in a formal environment. I want to earn my mba and leverage the degree and the new relationships I develop into a more challenging career path.

My company does a full tuition grant with only a year’s commitment afterwards. A free MBA while I work for an awesome company I was planning on staying with?  Yes, please!
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
BS in management.

I use it to my evil advantage at work. Not to many people at work that I went to an university.
View Quote

I can’t imagine why nobody would think you have an education…
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#44]
My BS allows me to be part of a club.
My MS allows me to be in a higher pay bracket.
Other than that, they are pretty useless.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Liberal arts from the Ivy League of the mid-west.

View Quote

Cradle of coaches?
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 1:58:05 AM EDT
[#46]
I wonder if the “it’s done nothing for me, waste of money” people just didn’t do a good job of networking/making college friends or got a useless degree?

I can’t imagine spending the money on an education and then not capitalizing on the investment. Or expecting my degree to make me money.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 2:02:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I wonder if the “it’s done nothing for me, waste of money” people just didn’t do a good job of networking/making college friends or got a useless degree?

I can’t imagine spending the money on an education and then not capitalizing on the investment. Or expecting my degree to make me money.
View Quote

There are few things louder than an exception.

Most of us are guilty of this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My BS allows me to be part of a club.
My MS allows me to be in a higher pay bracket.
Other than that, they are pretty useless.
View Quote

That seems like it is very useful....
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#49]
No degree.
I went to a well-regarded college prep school, had a 3.7 GPA---but no money.
My dad was very sick.
I joined the Army, instead.

Currently employed doing a job where one was "desired," but not necessary.
Husband is a tradesman. As is my oldest.
My youngest will be the first in my family to have one: Finance.

Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#50]
I teach graduate level engineering, so I'd better have one
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top