Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve got a dd214
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited American university?
View Quote

nope, am married

No longer a bachelor nor was I bad enough at it to spend so much time being one that they would have given me a degree in it
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am uneducated swine.
View Quote

Yep, and I'm doing okay... I didn't like school. I admire folks that did and could work within that order. Wasn't me though.

Best of luck to all you super smart folks!

Cheers

ILB
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What do you think?  

https://i.imgur.com/nPsCXM5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oRjBVb3.jpg

This much nerdiness took years to cultivate

View Quote

Man, I miss my HP-15C! Keys wore out after about 20 years. Bought a replacement HP and the tactile feel of the keys sucked and randomly didn’t register. Worthless junk at that point.

BS Civil Engineering and minor in land surveying.  Use my degree every day.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 7:08:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#6]
BSBA in Finance, and BSBA in Marketing Management from the largest University in my state.

I learned absolutely nothing there.  Not a single fucking thing.

On second thought, perhaps I did learn that college was a waste of money for me, and I should have instead gone into the trades as my father suggested.

My parents sacrificed greatly to send me to a highly regarded prep school in Memphis from 7th-12th grade.  It was challenging, and there was no "getting by".  You learned or you flunked out.

I didn't appreciate that until I was older, and luckily my parents are still around so that I was able to express my appreciation to them.

When looking at "education" I learned everything in junior high and HS, and nothing new in college.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I went to CWU, the cults didn't want me That said, don't buy into the argument that those flying college banners actually graduated from those colleges. I couldn't tell you how many people here in GA fly the UGA flag and can't even spell college let alone attended UGA other than the drive up for a football game.

ROCK6
View Quote
I wear a Tennessee hat all the time, yet I never took so much as a single course there. Go Vols!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
we've tried hiring people with associates degrees or various Microsoft certificates to do some entry level analyst positions - really just monkeys to bang on keys.

Rarely worked out - what a bachelors degree in a reasonable major from a real school shows more than anything else is the person is able to wade through some level of bull shit and get to the end / reach a goal.

Small sample might be not 100% accurate but we no longer hire external w/o 4 year degree - internal candidates with three ( or maybe four ) years experience at the company/ministry can be considered with approval from Div President and HR
View Quote

I see the opposite.  

I ended up in health care.  

Since we are part of the university system, aka academia, I see many more degree-laden idiots applying for jobs than people with actual knowledge or skills.  The director that I replaced constantly told people to address her as "doctor" because she had an EdD.  She would say "I have a doctorial degree".  If you can't even use the proper name for your degree, should you really be bragging and showing condescension to those around you?

I have employees who think that because they have a degree, that it somehow means they are superior to their non-degree holding coworkers, and that they shouldn't have to do certain tasks because it is beneath them.  Lazy as hell, but will throw out the "I have a masters degree" when I tell them to do something they don't want to do.

I see resumes full of job hoppers with masters degrees from diploma mills who think they should start off at $80K and also want to work from home.    Their resumes look as if they were written by my 4 year old, yet they believe they are worth that much or more due to a piece of paper.

I have employees with no degrees, but who are extremely intelligent and have common sense.  Sadly, in academia, the piece of paper matters more than what one is willing and/or capable of doing, so while I am attempting to promote two of these people, it is proving to be a difficult process as they do not hold degrees.  These two could run intellectual circles around the "doctorial" holding former director.  

So, as I've gotten older, and based on my own college experience, I put very little value in college degrees.  30-40 years ago, I absolutely believe that it made a difference.  Now I put more value on someone who was smart enough to NOT go to college, go $50k+ into debt, and likely be indoctrinated rather than educated.  Colleges have dumbed down to allow everyone to enroll and graduate, and have stuffed their coffers by doing so.  It stopped being about education long ago.

That said, I currently have two children in college.  One is a Chemistry major with plans for pharmacy school.  The other is undecided, but has a full ride so I told her as long as she's not hitting me up for money she can go and try to figure out what she wants to do.  

STEM majors require college.  The rest of it is all pretty much bullshit these days.   I told my children to find their own paths, and that trades would likely allow them the same lifestyle that a degree will.    

MBA's are doing a great job of destroying what is left of our healthcare system.
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top