Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/7/2018 7:28:02 AM EDT
If so, are you just keeping them, or using them?
Got a bunch of this stuff, but just can't bring myself to get with the times and get everything digital.
I'll bet some of the VHS doesn't even work.
Not sure about the games and stuff, as I understand that a lot of the old NES, Super NES, N64, etc type stuff looks like shit on a modern TV.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:43:05 AM EDT
[#1]
CDs as originals for backup of multiple digital (MP3) copies.
DVDs waiting for digital copies to be made.

What's VHS? Some kind of venereal disease?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#2]
E Bay this year
take the remainder to the dump next year
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I use dvds and cds regularly.  I still buy both.   Why fix what isn't broke?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
We dumped all of our VHS in 2005 or so. The oldest game system we have is an XBox 360, older systems either got trashed after they gave up the ghost or were given away. There are still a bunch of CD's in boxes or in bookshelves, but they don't get used.

DVD's we still use sometimes. Most of our media comes through Netflix/Roku/Amazon Prime/Hulu.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a bunch of this stuff, but just can't bring myself to get with the times and get everything digital.
Not sure about the games and stuff, as I understand that a lot of the old NES, Super NES, N64, etc type stuff looks like shit on a modern TV.
View Quote
I still play and buy old PS1,PS2, N64 games. I think the old games are different than a VHS...then again...some people don’t enjoy games at all.

I wouldn’t throw away your old games. You could probably sell them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Vintage games can be worth some $$$$ these days. Let me know what you have and I might be interested (or can help you value them).

ETA: I still have a Sony VCR new in the box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm selling all of the VHS tapes on ebay to folks who like vintage stuff.

I keep a handful of DVD's around as backups.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use dvds and cds regularly.  I still buy both.   Why fix what isn't broke?
View Quote
All of my music is now digital and bought without a cd. I am doing the same with DVD’s. I haven’t bought a DVD in almost two years.

Since I will likely never go to a place without internet again, I don’t need to have a physical disk.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Don’t chance getting burned on EBay. Message me on the games and systems you have and we will deal. I collect game stuff and I’d be much easier to deal with then eBay. Thanks fellas.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Have yesterday's NASCAR race on VHS, I'll watch the last 70 laps or so tonight. Recorded the race over Saturday's supercross race. Yes, the resolution is poor, I don't much care.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I have lots of NES, SNES, PS1/2 games.

I don't ever play them, but they're there if I want to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have CDs somewhere. I still buy DVDs and BluRay disks and I still watch them. VHS tapes, no, I threw those out years ago and I just got my wife to throw out the VHS tapes she's been "saving" for the past 10 years.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Have HUNDREDS of VHS tapes.
And 5 or 6 players.

Watch them regularly.
Usually get tapes for $0.25.

Still have a big box of 8 track tapes too
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I barely own any DVDs or CDs. Never bought a console. Have a laptop and 2 desktop pcs.
Books on the other hand we have hundreds, maybe a thousand or more.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I have like 3 or 4 Big totes and cardboard boxes full of CDs and DVD/BlueRays...   I dig into them every now and them and always find something cool..  Can't bring myself to toss them out...   Especially the Movies, we do watch them and I collect really old Kung-fu/Ninja Movies...
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Working Atari 2600 and a ton of games, been meaning to sell it all
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a bunch and need to find a used VCR so I can record a show that is on at the same time as another I watch. I ditched cable and use an antenna that gives me the major networks in high def, along with local crap and some channels that I didn't know we had, so I get 50 channels for free.  I do miss the DVR I used to have but my cable/landline/net bill went from $170 a month down to $45 to only have internet at 200 mbps and that's it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I finally bought a VHS player last year, had never owned one til then.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you buy a Retron5 game console you can play NES, SNES, Gameboy, and Sega Genesis games with 1080p upscaling. Bonus, you can use the OEM controllers for each of those consoles.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:02:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I was rustling around at my father's house yesterday trying to find my old CIV I, Oregon Trail, Treasure Mountain and Manhole floppy disks. I miss the old classic DOS games, lol. I gave all of my old PC game CDs/DVDs to a coworker years ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I have several plastic tubs with floppy discs, VHS tapes, CDs and DVDs.
Also have a bunch of Sega, Nintendo, PS1 and Xbox games.
When I retire a system, I put a player in the tub with the media/games. So I have a VCR with the VHS tapes etc.

That way if I ever want to revisit them (or my next of kin wants to see WTF is on them) there is a player available.

All are stashed in my basement/crawl space.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Ripped and tossed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#23]
We got rid of our VHS stuff during our last move 8 years ago.  I ripped my CDs to mp3 files and got rid of them all not long after that.  We still have DVDs as we have many that we still like to watch on occasion and don't want to have to repurchase as streaming content.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Finally tossed all my VHS movies about a year ago when I couldn't find anyone to digitize or transfer them to DVD.  Still have my CDs and DVDs.  Digitized stuff has a habit of disappearing from computers and shit so it's nice to have the backups.  And they don't deteriorate like VHS tapes do.  Right?

ETA: I am buying BluRays to replace my DVDs then sell or give the DVDs away.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#25]
What is a good way to dispose of old Floppy Discs that have some work back up information on them. I have a box full.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:20:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Gave away a box of dvds this weekend, part of operation unclutter. I have way to much useless shit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Yes we do, and still use them
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#29]
VHS no.

Old games yes.

I haven't played any in z long time but plan to when my son is old enough to pay attention and play too. I figure it will be good to introduce him to the classics.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Have a few.
Just in case.

Haven't figured out "in case" what, but they're there just in case.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:34:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Pitched the VHS, they were toast.

DVDs I'm slowly converting to mkv or mp4 files for viewing on my Plex server.

CDs... nothing yet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What is a good way to dispose of old Floppy Discs that have some work back up information on them. I have a box full.
View Quote
Fire?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Sold my 500+ game collection awhile back.

A lot of it was free stuff over the years.

With a nodded Super NEW Classic. I have it all again in a tiny box.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Maybe a few VHS but mostly those are gone...no player now either.

DVD and CDs sure.  Vinyl too.   Players for those.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#35]
I have boxes of albums on reel-to-reel tapes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I move too often to keep much of that stuff.  Have it all (or can get it all) digitally.

VHS, in particular, was crap from the get go. So no need to keep crappy video around.

I recently sold all my Heavy Metal magazines when I found all of them online.  Probably will end up throwing away the old 2nd Edition D&D books too.  Not worth the time to find a buyer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#37]
I still have a collection of vhs tapes.  I also have one of the last professional high end vhs players with computer tracking control.  I have it set up with a dvdr recorder.  I have been gradually converting many irreplaceable vhs tapes over the dvdr.  I still buy dvds and some cds.  I still have my collection of lase discs, though I admit I have not played them for several years.

I have not made the transition so to speak.  I don't live in a cave though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Vintage games can be worth some $$$$ these days. Let me know what you have and I might be interested (or can help you value them).

ETA: I still have a Sony VCR new in the box.
View Quote
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 for ps2
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have boxes of albums on reel-to-reel tapes.
View Quote
I did the same thing with VHS hifi with no picture.  I used them like reel to reel tapes.  I borrowed just about everyones lp and cassette tape and copied them.  I got about 20 eight hour tapes of the stuff.  They still play well too!
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Dropped off a couple boxes of estate sale records to Goodwill last week and am going to list my DVD's/SNES games on the EE soon.

The older I get, the less stuff I want to be responsible for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#41]
VHS, cassettes, and 8 tracks all got sold or recycled. The only vinyl I still have is my original Black Sabbath albums.
Watching DVDs is still something I do regularly, and I just finished ripping my CDs onto my PC last night. I'll keep them for backup though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#42]
I buy CDs on Amazon. Most of the time they come with a free digital copy. This way I always have a tangible hard copy backup in case something happens to my digital copy.

Movies on the other hand, I buy on Google play. People always want to "borrow" DVDs and rarely return them. By getting streaming movies they can't borrow them and lose them. But I have been spending less and less on movies. Hollywood is pretty much against everything I want my country to be, so fuck them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#43]
No VHS or games.
Absolutely have DVD's, CD's, and even Vinyl - all of them still get used.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#44]
We have a lot of the kids movies on VHS and we are keeping them for the grandkids to watch.

I watched  my Grandparents renew their wedding vows on their 50th anniversary on Betamax last week.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#45]
still have DVDs and Blu-Ray, and use them.

Downloading movies with satelite internet is not a viable option
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I got a bunch of CDs, but they're on borrowed time. All that other stuff is long gone.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#47]
CD/VHS are stored in the back building.  Still have a few DVD's laying around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#48]
CDs, DVDs, VHS.

The VHS tapes I need to do something with as they are bulky and take up space and I hate having totes or bins with old videos on them when we don't use them.  CDs not so sure; the old music CDs I have all been put on to multiple digital formats and storage devices.  Other than nostalgia for a broken jewel case and the album insert there isn't much use for them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:21:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I was rustling around at my father's house yesterday trying to find my old CIV I, Oregon Trail, Treasure Mountain and Manhole floppy disks. I miss the old classic DOS games, lol. I gave all of my old PC game CDs/DVDs to a coworker years ago.
View Quote
Google "DOSBox". You can find most DOS games by googling too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I digitized all of my media (BluRay, DVD, CD, etc.) and serve it to the home network via Plex.

The physical copies of the media sit in a flat bin under the bed, taking up no room that would be used for anything else. I keep them around in case of data corruption, if I need to snag subtitles off of something, etc.

I also have a fair amount of old school video games, but they get played pretty often.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top