Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/28/2022 11:54:36 AM EDT
The Ford Maverick has been lambasted as not being a truck.

Many said nobody would buy the sissy version of muh' truck.

Many said it would not sell because of how its not a "true" truck.

Well....it stops taking orders today because they cannot meet demand.

So this brings up the question, will others try to capitalize by rushing in on a market that they missed? Sure there have been failures (Subaru Baja), and limited success(Honda Ridgeline/Hyundai Santa Cruz), but that leaves other manufacturers wanting to copy the Ford Maverick formula more closely to miss out on a sales shift from compact and small sedans to another utility based form factor similar to the reason of a shift to CUVs/crossovers.

So who and what would you like to see from other companies?

Toyota? Dodge? GM? Nissan/Mitsubishi? VW?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Will those other companies be around the same $20K or will they have an additional 15K+ markup for a compact truck?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
They certainly should.  

A compact truck that actually gets compact gas mileage at a compact cost.  Who'd have thunk?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on order from last year, so I've been paying close attention.

Theres another smiliar vehicle, the Hyundai Santa Cruz, it's a bit more expensive than the Maverick however.

Dodge Ram has a small pickup in other markets, so I wouldn't be surprised if they brought something to the US market.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I mean it's a fwd unibody pos ford with a cvt. Not hard to reproduce if other manufactures want to go that way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Regret not hitting the order button when I had the build sheet set up in Dec…
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean it's a fwd unibody pos ford with a cvt. Not hard to reproduce if other manufactures want to go that way.
View Quote

Not CVT
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#8]

The Maverick name was resurrected it looks like, because the picture is of a Maverick. It was a dud back in the 1970’s and it was as bad as a AMC car.
That’s my recollection. I think that the one pictured is the 1970 model.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

See original post.

>Categorized into 'muh truck user
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:13:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Would love to see the Dodge Dakota brought back.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Tell me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks without telling me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks without telling me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks.

View Quote

See original post.

>Categorized into person who thinks Maverick is sissy version of muh' truck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope so.  I'd love a small truck as my grocery getter and refuse transporter.  The Maverick is about the perfect size for my needs, and the price is great.  I just don't care for Fords too much.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Ford should not have recycled the name Maverick.  It's previous incarnation was a shitty successor to the Falcon.  Underpowered, terrible back seats, etc.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They certainly should.  

A compact truck that actually gets compact gas mileage at a compact cost.  Who'd have thunk?
View Quote

Quoted:
I hope so.  I'd love a small truck as my grocery getter and refuse transporter.  The Maverick is about the perfect size for my needs, and the price is great.
View Quote
This.

If companies make the same thing and add stupid price games to the mix, they'll fail.

Ford may have knocked it out of the park with this one; let's just hope it's not just to skirt CAFE standards.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only people that care about your "real truck" are other men. So, is this your coming out post?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be an 8’ bed manual diesel for the same price
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Keeping my 10 yr old f150 for farm duty. Ordered a maverick xlt with options for under 26k. Perfect errand and commuter vehicle with AWD and all terrains for the gravel/mud/snow. Local dealer offered 3k under msrp for orders.

Nothing else in the market comes close.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]
no because manufactures only make what sells with profits.

"id buy a no frills truck" is internet BS. either in reality no you won't or you're such a tiny subset of the market you don't matter anyway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish.

I could easily be in the market for a pickup truck, but not a $60k giant thing that can haul a billion pounds. I just need something that can haul some shit for garden projects and want to hose out the bed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:09:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wish.

I could easily be in the market for a pickup truck, but not a $60k giant thing that can haul a billion pounds. I just need something that can haul some shit for garden projects and want to hose out the bed.
View Quote

So get a Santa Cruz.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

those were fun.
especially the single cab with the 6 1/2 ft bed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So get a Santa Cruz.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish.

So get a Santa Cruz.

Its about $10k  more than the Maverick.  Thats the selling point, price.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This was supposed to happen when the Gladiator came out sharing the same factory, but I haven't heard anything since. Jeep is probably complaining like Ram was that it will eat into sales. If Ram were to offer a regular cab or a slight extended cab with either no rear doors or the hidden suicide doors like older compacts I'd be in for one. As long as it doesn't look like shit, similar to the last generation of Dakota.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd buy the base model,  Perfect for replacing the wife's current  sedan.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:35:24 PM EDT
[#26]
It opens the door. Not sure how much market that truck will carry but a sub 25-30k small light duty pickup would be a nice alternative
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ford should not have recycled the name Maverick.  It's previous incarnation was a shitty successor to the Falcon.  Underpowered, terrible back seats, etc.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg/1280px-1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg
View Quote

Had a buddy in HS that could run high 10's.
Cool little car
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Wrong thread
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It opens the door. Not sure how much market that truck will carry but a sub 25-30k small light duty pickup would be a nice alternative
View Quote

For the price of a new compact car, you can have a decent gas mpg alternative for around town while your work rig doesn't rack up miles it doesn't need to.

Great first time vehicle for teenagers if they are used in 5 years. Or even small part runs or other trades.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#30]
It's the perfect work vehicle for a tradesman. Great mileage to chase jobs around, enough bed and payload for tools, locking tailgate, comfortable interior, cheap enough to not worry about gravel and mud.

Going to throw a diamondback on mine, if it ever gets here
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

"id buy a no frills truck" is internet BS. either in reality no you won't or you're such a tiny subset of the market you don't matter anyway.
View Quote
Did you see the part that Ford shut down orders for the truck that is internet BS (according to your post)?
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
how about one with a bigger bed, forget the extended cab, just a old fashioned reg. cab for two and a stripped down list of equipment with a manual box, ought sell for about 15-17K.

cheap transportation for light hauling work that gets approx 30 mpg.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not CVT
View Quote
Yes CVT

Edit - well ECVT in hybrid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Thought about this one for a while.  A little research indicated it's built on the Escape platform, complete with crappy transmission.  Went with base Tacoma instead.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes CVT
View Quote

You can get the non hybrid not CVT. Same price or upgrade to AWD.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg/1280px-1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg
View Quote

Ford should bring a sports car to market named Falcon……. Import some of those Aussie Fords
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Compact truck is retarded
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Literally the first thing to sell out was the base model of the Maverick.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
how about one with a bigger bed, forget the extended cab, just a old fashioned reg. cab for two and a stripped down list of equipment with a manual box, ought sell for about 15-17K.

View Quote

From what I understand, the crew cab short bed is necessary due to it being unibody in order to keep the c-pillar where it's needed structurally. Ridgeline syndrome.

XL is pretty bare bones as it is. Manual gearbox would probably cost more in this day and age.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#40]
GM or Toyota could have one in a few months (they would just take an existing CUV and put a bed on it - literally it would take longer to make the bodywork dies then doing the engineering).

I think honestly Toyota should take a RAV4 Prime and do it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Should be an 8’ bed manual diesel for the same price
View Quote

No desire to have a diesel given it is more expensive.

Just give me a full size 4wd truck with 8cyl gas, 8' bed, with A/C as the only option (manual doors and windows).
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No desire to have a diesel given it is more expensive.

Just give me a full size 4wd truck with 8cyl gas, 8' bed, with A/C as the only option (manual doors and windows).
View Quote

Ford will sell you exactly that for about 43K. Use the vehicle build/Price program on the Ford website.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

From what I understand, the crew cab short bed is necessary due to it being unibody in order to keep the c-pillar where it's needed structurally. Ridgeline syndrome.

XL is pretty bare bones as it is. Manual gearbox would probably cost more in this day and age.
View Quote

A manual transmission would require another round of calibration for Emissions compliance for a tiny sliver of sales.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:38:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

15K MIGHT get you into a base model KIA Rio. Is not 2001 anymore.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck em if they do.
I want a Maverick. I ordered too late and they killed mine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been eyeing the Maverick and the Santa Cruz to replace my hatchback in about a year.

The Hyundai looks great and seems more refined inside, but also had less power unless you want to pay real truck prices.

If someone came out with a RWD base model similar to either of these with a starting price around $22k, I bet it would bring a whole new set of potential customers.

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#47]
The cost is what's selling it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#48]
ill take my 2014 POS silverado 1500 that has a v8 in it. cuz this is Merica lol, only compact truck id buy is a duramax colorado...... my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a friend that had one of the first maverick cars. He got a 302 and some gears. What a joke, right?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top