Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks without telling me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks.

View Quote
Whoa dude, save some pussy for the rest of us
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tell me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks without telling me you get jealous because of how your wife looks at men driving real trucks.

View Quote

newsflash...women don't give a fuck what you drive unless it's a Lambo and that's only because they know you have money.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
They are perfect for the suburban consumer like me.  We are looking to replace my wife's van in the next few years. We are looking pretty hard at the Maverick.  It's the only truck that will fit in our garage w/o a major reorganization.  None of my neighbors with full size trucks can park in their garage.  (I don't want a full-size truck badly enough I'm willing to scrape windows in the winter before work every day.)  The Ranger and Tacoma will fit in my garage if I move bikes and storage shelves, so they are being looked at too but a vehicle under $30k with all the options is pretty appealing.  (Granted there are fewer options.)
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone please explain how GD thinks the Maverick is cool but the Ridgeline is gay?

Please… enlighten me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:24:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Someone please explain how GD thinks the Maverick is cool but the Ridgeline is gay?

Please… enlighten me.
View Quote

20k work truck for men vs $45k crossover for soyboys
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Literally the first thing to sell out was the base model of the Maverick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no because manufactures only make what sells with profits.

"id buy a no frills truck" is internet BS. either in reality no you won't or you're such a tiny subset of the market you don't matter anyway.

Literally the first thing to sell out was the base model of the Maverick.

It’s what people want.  Manufacturers want you buying the $100,000 Grand Wagoneer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Americas been going big with vehicles for a long time. People are still buying but sticker prices and rising costs are wearing thin.

Ford hit it out of the park with this one. Car makers are paying attention.

They'd all do well to start offering low cost options. Hell ford had to halt orders!

I just want a basic single cab short bed compact truck. NO ONE makes one now. The only config I can get that in is full size and so far only ford and dodge offer it for about $30k.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]
and i thought the ranger was a compact pick-up. why they made it nearly the size as a  F series was weird. remember how small the old rangers where?

people bought the shit out of small cheap trucks 25 years ago, nissan’s, toyo’s, rangers.

yes we need those again but not FWD!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a very basic XL Maverick on order with the Ecoboost engine.  It will replace my Focus as the daily driver.

Other manufacturers will probably do something similar but they would need to keep the price competitive.  Ford priced these well.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Americas been going big with vehicles for a long time. People are still buying but sticker prices and rising costs are wearing thin.

They'd all do well to start offering low cost options. Hell ford had to halt orders!

I just want a basic single cab short bed compact truck. NO ONE makes one now. The only config I can get that in is full size and so far only ford and dodge offer it for about $30k.

View Quote

More houses have been finished out using these with Mexican labor in Texas:

Than the typical suburbanite 1/2 ton quad cab luxury truck.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will those other companies be around the same $20K or will they have an additional 15K+ markup for a compact truck?
View Quote

This. The price is what is driving a lot of the sales. People don’t want to spend $60k on a truck that they probably barely use to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:11:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/a/img208/5748/1995pickup4x2xe.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pfft, you underestimate the amount of plywood GD needs to move on a daily basis
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The only people that care about your "real truck" are other men. So, is this your coming out post?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only people that care about your "real truck" are other men. So, is this your coming out post?

I love the Prius. I will get an all-electric car when I’m done moving to every 3-5 years.  But your comment on pickups is way off.

My wife loved being picked up in a big diesel pickup. She said it made her feel safe, and like we couldn’t get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did you see the part that Ford shut down orders for the truck that is internet BS (according to your post)?
View Quote

It’s worth remembering they shut down production after everyone (including John Deere) had to shut down production.  It’s demand combined with the lasting supply issues.  Not overwhelming demand.

Edit: 40 mpg in a Pickup is phenomenal, and makes me want one.  But they don’t offer a Maverick with that gas mileage in 4WD.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.I4ofk3xDStRzaT-0M-BYGQHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The Maverick name was resurrected it looks like, because the picture is of a Maverick. It was a dud back in the 1970's and it was as bad as a AMC car.
That's my recollection. I think that the one pictured is the 1970 model.
View Quote
I'll take one with a 351 Cleveland and a manual floor shifter.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Next one of the manufacturers will build a front engine, front wheel drive only, truck with a box that isn’t 4 feet or more off the ground... more like 18” or less off the ground.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

REAL tradesman have their materials brought in on flatbeds. They drive trucks to haul the scrap out for beer money
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
As long as morons continue to take out out 7 to 10 year auto loans that they can’t really afford just so they can get into a vehicle that affirms their masculinity or try to impress complete strangers, there is no reason for manufacturers to offer practical cars that are affordable.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Chevy is already introducing the montana.   Other makers will follow; it's not a question of if but when.  Ford maxed their factory capacity for the year and shut down orders because they couldn't meet demand.  There is a huge untapped market for this kind of thing.  

https://chevycarusa.com/2023-chevy-montana/
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Fantastic opportunity for Mazda to get back in the pickup game.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#22]
OP’s underlying premise is correct. While some genuinely need a “real” truck. Most who own said real trucks don’t need them. They’re just a different flavor of the same geriatric corvette owner who never gets it up over 60.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Overheard a ford salesman the other night saying that “everyone asks me about the maverick”. I think Ford hit the sweet spot. The hyundai one looks stupid.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone who thought that it wouldn’t sell well is blinded by bias.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#25]
That Chevy one looks laaaame. At least the Maverick looks truckish.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Would it still be called the Ford Maverick ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.I4ofk3xDStRzaT-0M-BYGQHaE8%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The Maverick name was resurrected it looks like, because the picture is of a Maverick. It was a dud back in the 1970’s and it was as bad as a AMC car.
That’s my recollection. I think that the one pictured is the 1970 model.
View Quote

The Mav in your pic looks to be in excellent condition. Here in the rust belt the cars of that era didn’t hold up so well.

Nowadays it’s cool to see them just for the nostalgia. There’s a 70’s Maverick that occasionally shows up on cruise night with a T-Bird Turbo Coupe driveline and suspension upgrades that’s pretty badass.

ETA: There’s a market for no frills, economical to own transportation. I expect the demand will increase as the economy falters and middle class budgets are stretched to the limit. In a world of $50K+ pickups it makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Watched a few vids on them and the AWD work pretty good offroad for what it is.  The turbo ones are pretty quick too, seen under 6 sec 0-60 on some tests.  Think Im gonna set one up like this to bang around in.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:06:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Would love to see the Dodge Dakota brought back.

View Quote

With the 5.7 as an option this would be the TITS!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Ford Maverick has been lambasted as not being a truck.

Many said nobody would buy the sissy version of muh' truck.

Many said it would not sell because of how its not a "true" truck.

So who and what would you like to see from other companies?

Toyota? Dodge? GM? Nissan/Mitsubishi? VW?
View Quote

Honda and Hyundai already build/market a competing 'sissy truck'... Ford is just playing catch-up with their POS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#31]
My brother bought a Ford Maverick when they first came out. He didn’t like to Have passengers because it reduces his MPG.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]
A few already have!
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll bet the Maverick price goes up like crazy year after year.
We've already done this with the Sea-Doo Spark.  WAY cheaper than anything else the day it rolls out.....for ONE year.....then it just keeps on going up exponentially.

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#34]
It was what, three years ago? that the Ranger came back and was immediately optioned up and overpriced. I'm sure it will happen again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:43:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ford should not have recycled the name Maverick.  It's previous incarnation was a shitty successor to the Falcon.  Underpowered, terrible back seats, etc.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/37/1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg/1280px-1974_Ford_Maverick_%2823803130741%29.jpg
View Quote

They should have brought back the Courier name, not Maverick.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

A manual transmission would require another round of calibration for Emissions compliance for a tiny sliver of sales.
View Quote

And training people how to rebuild a manual tranny
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
no because manufactures only make what sells with profits.

"id buy a no frills truck" is internet BS. either in reality no you won't or you're such a tiny subset of the market you don't matter anyway.
View Quote

I did, I bought a 1995 F150 XL ,  300CI, 5 spd manual, brand new, in 1995, for $12,000 + tax out the door.   Still have it, everything original and runs well. Never missed any of the high dollar frills. It gets me where I want to go, pulls, my boat, and been paid for since 1998.  Oh, it does have A/C.

I would buy another just like it tomorrow for $20k, but this is my last truck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#38]
A cargo van or two door work version would be awesome.

The base mode is not much more expensive than a fucking club car golf cart with bed and cab. And infinitely more useful.  

Lots of work could get done out of one of those in van or longer bed version.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dodge Dakota was an awesome truck size, big enough to do real work but not stupid big.  And Dodge had the sense to offer a V8 option.  

I see far more Hyundai Santa Cruz on the road than I do Ford Mavericks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#40]
It's a great idea. Vehicles are getting bigger. Sedans, SUV's, etc. Plenty of homeowners need a truck bu don't need a full 1/2 ton. The midsize trucks are almost the same size and cost as 1/2 tons as well.

The same thing with delivery companies and some retail that offers delivery. They need some thing simple, cheap, and relatively fuel efficient to keep their fleet up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Dodge Dakota was an awesome truck size, big enough to do real work but not stupid big.  And Dodge had the sense to offer a V8 option.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed, a true midsize truck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Ford Maverick has been lambasted as not being a truck.

Many said nobody would buy the sissy version of muh' truck.

Many said it would not sell because of how its not a "true" truck.

Well....it stops taking orders today because they cannot meet demand.

So this brings up the question, will others try to capitalize by rushing in on a market that they missed? Sure there have been failures (Subaru Baja), and limited success(Honda Ridgeline/Hyundai Santa Cruz), but that leaves other manufacturers wanting to copy the Ford Maverick formula more closely to miss out on a sales shift from compact and small sedans to another utility based form factor similar to the reason of a shift to CUVs/crossovers.

So who and what would you like to see from other companies?

Toyota? Dodge? GM? Nissan/Mitsubishi? VW?
View Quote

Wonder why they chose the Maverick to bring back. Why not the Pinto, Tarus, or Model T.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You also forget that GD's 1/2 ton truck will haul 2 yards of gravel in the bed, daily, in the mountains for its entire life of 250K miles without blinking.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So get a Santa Cruz.
View Quote
Ugly
Expensive
Fugly

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#45]
There is a huge demand for an affordable, basic vehicle but the poors would be able to afford it, this annoys the upper classes.
Part of the reason for the push to eliminate ICE vehicles, if you can't afford an expensive EV and charging station you walk.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#46]
FYI an e-cvt has literally nothing in common with the regular cvt junk you see in Nissans.

Ecvts are the simplest and likely most reliable transmission type in vehicles sold today.  

Here’s a look at your typical ecvt design and how it works:

https://youtu.be/hHU5xFOBcsU

A man child could rebuild one or replace components in one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was ahead of its time...
I bet they regret shit canning them.

It would be a "compact" truck compared to the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon, and have V8. But in true form, they'd fuck it up and go with that bomb 4.7 instead of hemi.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:44:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
how about one with a bigger bed, forget the extended cab, just a old fashioned reg. cab for two and a stripped down list of equipment with a manual box, ought sell for about 15-17K.

cheap transportation for light hauling work that gets approx 30 mpg.
View Quote
Cost of building the crew cab vs a std cab is likely less than 500$. Interior space is far more valuable to the average American than an 8 ft bed. More so when there isnt 4ft between wheel wells. A std tranny transaxle would be another cost since very few would sell.

Ford would be better off building the late 80s type Ranger with a conventional drive train. Build it slightly wider with a longer bed to maintain proportions. 5spd tranny & transfer case behind the 4cyl Ecoboost from the Mustang would be a great drive train. Keep it low with skinny tires and it would rule in snow/ice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

With the 5.7 as an option this would be the TITS!!!
View Quote

Hell... with a 318 resurrected and 5 speed?
It'd be alive and running for decades providing the body and frame doesn't rot out

Hemi+5/6 speed stick? Oh hell yeah.

And the R/T with the helephant or hell cat hemi?
Hold my Pabst Blue Ribbon, Pall Malls, and Mullet grease. Watch this!

Be the fastest truck in the trailer park.

Force ford to put that 7.3 in a Ranger as an SVT package.

Chevy to put supercharged 6.2 in Colorado for SS version.

That's what they really need to make.
Not 4 pots and turbo 6s...

Link Posted: 1/29/2022 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Cost of building the crew cab vs a std cab is likely less than 500$. Interior space is far more valuable to the average American than an 8 ft bed. More so when there isnt 4ft between wheel wells. A std tranny transaxle would be another cost since very few would sell.

Ford would be better off building the late 80s type Ranger with a conventional drive train. Build it slightly wider with a longer bed to maintain proportions. 5spd tranny & transfer case behind the 4cyl Ecoboost from the Mustang would be a great drive train. Keep it low with skinny tires and it would rule in snow/ice.
View Quote

Have you seen the size of the average American though...
(Snowbird season. Lots of fatties present)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top