Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2019 2:52:20 PM EDT
I see lot's of threads on here with people spending lots of money and not having a good path forward.  Quite often I see people making excuses for why they can't get ahead.  It got me wondering, how many people here REALLY want to be a millionaire and work towards that goal?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Travie McCoy: Billionaire ft. Bruno Mars [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m working hard to have a comfortable retirement.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Want to and will be.

Starting over post cleaned out divorce.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Want to and will be.

Starting over post cleaned out divorce.
View Quote
Divorce sucks.  It can really ruin you financially and make progress extremely difficult.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It'd be nice, but you guys keep me broke. Once I get banned from here, I'll be rich.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I’m working hard to have a comfortable retirement.
View Quote
This but I am also enjoying my younger years at the same time..... I have a good gut feeling I will have dementia when I get older from the 3 prior concussions in my life possible 4 and family history of it.  At that point I plan to take a one way trip to the Grand Canyon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Want to and will be.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It'd be nice, but you guys keep me broke. Once I get banned from here, I'll be rich.
View Quote
Friggin truth right there
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol.  Guns do occupy a larger portion of my finances than they should.  Lately I've moved to selling/trading assets to acquire new assets.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
It's all good...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't mind it but the career paths it would take to get there are not something that interest me.

I'm moving towards a nice life and a solid retirement. I don't value just money itself enough to sacrifice other portions of my life in pursuit of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wouldn't mind it but the career paths it would take to get there are not something that interest me.

I'm moving towards a nice life and a solid retirement. I don't value just money itself enough to sacrifice other portions of my life in pursuit of it.
View Quote
Lot's of career paths can lead to millionaire status.  You just have to invest and give it time.

Is your solid retirement pension based?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't care.  I live very cheap.  Once my 2nd home is paid off (6 years) I will be comfortable on $15k per year.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't care.  I live very cheap.  Once my 2nd home is paid off (6 years) I will be comfortable on $15k per year.
View Quote
No worries about inflation, long term healthcare costs, home repairs and vehicle replacement costs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm not sure 15K a year would cover my alcohol cost.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#16]
On track, almost there, with a slight detour.  3 kids in college, just bought a new house, cash flow has been negatively impacted for a bit, will be back on track in a few years.

Currently contributing over $50k a year, expect to retire in 15-20 years.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, and I'm working hard by dumping money into my investments.

And buying the occasional lotto ticket.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Millionaire is a pretty wide range (1M-999M). My wife (age 45) & I (age 50) broke into this group in the last few years. We have two professional jobs, so we're well off (as long as we keep working), but we don't feel rich. We certainly don't feel like we have enough set aside to retire yet. Being a millionaire isn't what it used to be (and isn't as hard to attain as it used to be). A net worth of 1M isn't remotely close to a net worth of 25M, much less 250M. Lifestyles and security will vary greatly depending on how far you penetrate the millionaire range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, I’m already a thousandaire.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#20]
You meant "multi millionaire"?

Because "millionaire" does not mean earnings of $1M/yr. It means assets exceeding liabilities by that amount, of which I do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Millionaire is a pretty wide range (1M-999M). My wife (age 45) & I (age 50) broke into this group in the last few years. We have two professional jobs, so we're well off (as long as we keep working), but we don't feel rich. We certainly don't feel like we have enough set aside to retire yet. Being a millionaire isn't what it used to be (and isn't as hard to attain as it used to be). A net worth of 1M isn't remotely close to a net worth of 25M, much less 250M. Lifestyles and security will vary greatly depending on how far you penetrate the millionaire range.
View Quote
Absolutely.  But a million in liquid assets puts you in the top 5% of US households.  It's generally enough to live off of for the rest of your life - as long as you're willing to live cheap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No worries about inflation, long term healthcare costs, home repairs and vehicle replacement costs?
View Quote
I have very little concern about all those things.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you asking if you wish to be divorced from caring about your everyday expenditures or caring about if you can afford that golf corse over there?

Because there is a pretty big distinction
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Trying but g-damned PSA keeps sending me email alerts and halting my progress.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#25]
is stupid 'want to be a millionaire'...

i have relatives that talk about getting a break, like a friend they knew who happened to buy home depot stock at the right time or apple. they want that 'million'.

from my perspective, it aint about 'making a milion', its about 'having enough'. for now and for when you retire. its about being able to maintain a level of lifestyle indefinitely. that might be a million and it might be 5 million. but the idea is not making a number and then youre done. its about making enough so that you are never worried about being 'done'.

so many folks talk about 'if i had a million i would do this or that'. well.. what would you do AFTER you've done 'this or that'?
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:29:00 PM EDT
[#26]
No fucks given so long as I'm happy, healthy, and have 2nd amendment rights that I can live with.

Money does not bring happiness but it solves "problems" faster.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:29:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quit my job as an engineer and bought a CNC machine.  I jumped off a cliff hoping that I can build a small empire.  But I also want to just work alone and never have any employees.

I'm so conflicted in this regard that it might ruin me.  But also working on designs, hoping I can pay others to manufacture while I only assemble, stock, market, and ship.

We'll see!  It's been about 2 years now and I'm still living month to month just praying that customers pay on time.  But slowly growing contacts and business and capability and KNOWLEDGE.

If I had bought several lawn mowers and farmed out the help I'd probably be better off.  But I'm after more than just money.  I'm semi-following my passion, but on the way to fully following it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I really don't care.  I want to be comfortable, enjoy life as much as that's possible while I'm healthy enough to do it, and if, after retiring my health or ability to maintain that comfort level is gone, I'll flip the switch and see what comes next.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On track, almost there, with a slight detour.  3 kids in college, just bought a new house, cash flow has been negatively impacted for a bit, will be back on track in a few years.

Currently contributing over $50k a year, expect to retire in 15-20 years.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/145716/fidelity_balance_jpg-915553.JPG
View Quote

Nice!  I'm saving about $40k/yr right now.  I'm hoping to take a new job soon for ~$30k/yr more.  Quite a bit will go towards a new house if it happens (higher cost of living area), but it should still improve net worth over time.  My current house will then become a rental.  Ideally, I'll also be able to put ~$10k more a yr back.

I haven't yet decided how to handle the kids college.  That's still a ways away.  If nothing else, I'll split my GI bill between them and guide them towards lower cost options.  Best case, I'll continue to increase my salary and be able to pay outright without much issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:30:31 PM EDT
[#30]
No, not really.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Working to have between 1 and 1.2mil by the time I'm 55 so I can live off the interest.

And I'm doing all of that myself.  My wife refuses to invest even a single cent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Absolutely.  But a million in liquid assets puts you in the top 5% of US households.  It's generally enough to live off of for the rest of your life - as long as you're willing to live cheap.
View Quote
the figure thrown about is 4 percent of what you have after retirement per year. 4 percent of a million dollars is 40k. i assume you have social security or similar. how much is that a year and when added to that 40k, is it enough?. say you get 30,000 a year from ss plus 40k from your 'milion'. thats 70k a year. thats not peanuts, but it aint high cotton either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Do you want to be a millionaire?
View Quote
Not really. I'd like to be able to afford the basics: food, lodging, travel, my academic degrees and pursuits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
A million bucks isn't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This but I am also enjoying my younger years at the same time..... I have a good gut feeling I will have dementia when I get older from the 3 prior concussions in my life possible 4 and family history of it.  At that point I plan to take a one way trip to the Grand Canyon.
View Quote
It seems like a workable plan, but you'll probably forget it once you get there
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

the figure thrown about is 4 percent of what you have after retirement per year. 4 percent of a million dollars is 40k. i assume you have social security or similar. how much is that a year and when added to that 40k, is it enough?. say you get 30,000 a year from ss plus 40k from your 'milion'. thats 70k a year. thats not peanuts, but it aint high cotton either.
View Quote
It's significantly more than I live on today.

I won't say my plan stops at 1 million though, I just view that as close to the bottom edge of financial independence.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I hope to be. And I likely will be in the next 30 or so years. Hopefully my kids will be when I'm gone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Divorce sucks.  It can really ruin you financially and make progress extremely difficult.
View Quote
Completely unlovable master race for the fiscal win.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#39]
A millionaire (if we're talking net worth) is almost a "need-to-be" imperative nowadays as people live longer, have homes valued a lot more, with pressure to prepare for retirement more than before.

Large or expensive homes require more continued investment over time in order to be maintained.

Nursing home or managed care facilities can run $4000/month and up if you find a decent one with openings.

If you don't have a net worth of $1 million around the time of retirement in most suburbs in the US, you're going to be in a precarious position in your sunset years.

I remember when $100,000 homes were considered mansions, Uber-wealthy class, and a really nice home went for $30-$40k.

Now, a $100k property is a burned-down house maybe in the suburbs, or one that requires substantial work to the tune of $150-$200k just to get it to code and livable.

Look at median and average home sale prices from JAN 2000- DEC 2018:

How much do you need in an IRA to take care of living expenses, properly taxes, and contingencies?

Do you plan to purchase more vehicles?

What's your plan for assisted living?

If your plan is to hope of the best and not plan for any of this, live paycheck to paycheck along with consumer debt and maxed-out auto loans and a mortgage, there is no elasticity in your plan for problems to arise and you risk being devastated if a major change (life) happens.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You meant "multi millionaire"?

Because "millionaire" does not mean earnings of $1M/yr. It means assets exceeding liabilities by that amount, of which I do.
View Quote
No kidding. Really? I had no idea that's what millionaire meant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted: Being a millionaire isn't what it used to be
View Quote
that be true
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A millionaire (if we're talking net worth) is almost a "need-to-be" imperative nowadays as people live longer, have homes valued a lot more, with pressure to prepare for retirement more than before.

Large or expensive homes require more continued investment over time in order to be maintained.

Nursing home or managed care facilities can run $4000/month and up if you find a decent one with openings.

If you don't have a net worth of $1 million around the time of retirement in most suburbs in the US, you're going to be in a precarious position in your sunset years.

I remember when $100,000 homes were considered mansions, Uber-wealthy class, and a really nice home went for $30-$40k.

Now, a $100k property is a burned-down house maybe in the suburbs, or one that requires substantial work to the tune of $150-$200k just to get it to code and livable.

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2019/3/7/saupload_US-median-and-average-new-home-sale-prices-200001-201812.png

How much do you need in an IRA to take care of living expenses, properly taxes, and contingencies?

If your plan is to hope of the best and not plan for any of this, live paycheck to paycheck along with consumer debt and maxed-out auto loans and a mortgage, there is no elasticity in your plan for problems to arise and you risk being devastated if a major change (life) happens.
View Quote
Yeah, I wouldn't want to retire with less than a million.  A decent pension could offset that need a bit.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Hate to break the bad news, but a million bucks isn’t really all that much, in terms of retirement...
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hate to break the bad news, but a million bucks isn’t really all that much, in terms of retirement...
View Quote
QFT

It's not what it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#45]
"Anything for a buck" seems to be the mantra around here, with morals taking a distant second to possessions. Truth be told, the "redistribution" mindset going around on the Left is nothing more than the other side of the coin from many of the rich people on this board. They've found a way to profit off of others, much as people here have. Competition. Nothing more, nothing less. Thing is, they are winning, and their winning would probably benefit me more than the current system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not really. I'd like to be able to afford the basics: food, lodging, travel, my academic degrees and pursuits.
View Quote
I'm not really motivated by it either.  I quit a very good paying job with great long-term potential to start my own business.  Three years later I still make about half what I did (and doing better each year), but I really don't think I'll be matching that income for years yet.  And starting the business was expensive, so we now have very little in the bank.  Very.  Little.

But my family is healthy again.  I was on the road all the time and the family was starting to crumble, my kids were becoming teens and needs a strong family, my wife and I have been married over 20 years now, and we get along great again.

The money is way down the list of important things to me.  That said, we drive used cars, don't carry consumer debt for anything and live modestly.  If I can start bringing in more income we will immediately be doing quite well, as we can make it ok on half my previous income- or less.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
"Anything for a buck" seems to be the mantra around here, with morals taking a distant second to possessions. Truth be told, the "redistribution" mindset going around on the Left is nothing more than the other side of the coin from many of the rich people on this board. They've found a way to profit off of others, much as people here have. Competition. Nothing more, nothing less. Thing is, they are winning, and their winning would probably benefit me more than the current system.
View Quote
What is immoral about working hard to make sure you're on a solid financial footing?

I don't think any of us are advocating doing anything to harm others. I guess you could argue that tax minimization strategies are immoral, but I vehemently disagree.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Lot's of career paths can lead to millionaire status.  You just have to invest and give it time.

Is your solid retirement pension based?
View Quote
Yeah, my FIL worked a regular job as an engineer, at a modest wage. He invested in an annuity and at retirement, has $1.2M in the bank and about $500k in real estate assets.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm not really motivated by it either.  I quit a very good paying job with great long-term potential to start my own business.  Three years later I still make about half what I did (and doing better each year), but I really don't think I'll be matching that income for years yet.  And starting the business was expensive, so we now have very little in the bank.  Very.  Little.

But my family is healthy again.  I was on the road all the time and the family was starting to crumble, my kids were becoming teens and needs a strong family, my wife and I have been married over 20 years now, and we get along great again.

The money is way down the list of important things to me.  That said, we drive used cars, don't carry consumer debt for anything and live modestly.  If I can start bringing in more income we will immediately be doing quite well, as we can make it ok on half my previous income- or less.
View Quote
I think a middle ground can usually be found. Family is extremely important and I like being around for my kids. I would point out that financial issues is one of the leading causes of divorce, so I certainly want to avoid major financial hardship and bankruptcy.

It sounds like you made a good choice. Retirement can wait a few years when family is on the line.
Link Posted: 4/17/2019 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah, I wouldn't want to retire with less than a million.  A decent pension could offset that need a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2019/3/7/saupload_US-median-and-average-new-home-sale-prices-200001-201812.png

Those of us who are Gen X have been told not to count on Social Security.

If you need to be told not to count on Social Security, you really need some financial education, which isn't taught in school-quite the contrary.

I have made all my plans with the baseline assumption that Social Security won't be a factor at all in our retirement, even though we've paid into it all these years.

Social "Security" is a poverty-level scam perpetrated by FDR and other socialists on the Nation based on the assumption that government knows better than us on how to spend our money for our personal futures.

If you look at the costs for homes and assisted living facilities going up steadily each year, then look at what $1 million in liquidity will get you, that equals 11 years on the assumption that costs for a private room in a nursing home will stay flat (they won't).

If your family history indicates longevity in your life cycle to 80 years on both sides of your parents, then you need to have $1 million in liquidity when you're in your late 60s, like 68/69 at the latest.  That's assuming everything goes as planned.

If you treat your children well and they have a large enough home, maybe you can live with them, but any care you will need often has to be provided by professionals, not your 40-50yr-old kids (many of whom are already obese and unproductive at age 20 nowadays, with no signs of learning the value of hard work).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top