Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Soldier, the army has spent a lot of money teaching you to fire that thing. Now set it and fire it.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
120mm and Four-deuce "High Angle Hell" Master Race checking in...

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:29:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

No problem, brother.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, I'm sorry.

No problem, brother.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Our light infantry rifle companies have a couple of 60mm mortar teams in the company headquarters element. And of course they have the bigger mortars at the battalion level. The Marine Corps is still a heavy believer in mortars also. So mortars are still very much alive and well in the U.S. military.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that I have heard of any battles from the GWOT where American mortarmen were involved. So does the US still use mortars, or is it all airstrikes, tanks and TOW missiles?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Danish army had a 60mm in each infantry platoon, and an 81mm section (3 tubes) in each infantry company.  Each battalion would have a 120mm platoon with 3 or 4 tubes.

I think the older 120mm tubes have been replaced with some fancy new system these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
60, 81, and 120mm varieties.

Mmm hmm love me some portable firepower

Now, humping the ammo is another matter entirely

Historically, 2-3 60mm tubes at the (light) infantry company level was common, with 4-8 tubes of 81mm at the battalion level.  Armored /Mechanized units got 120mm somewhere (sometimes 81mm or 107mm).

Depends on what org and what time you look at the MTOE, for US Army, USMC, foreign armies, etc.

Danish army had a 60mm in each infantry platoon, and an 81mm section (3 tubes) in each infantry company.  Each battalion would have a 120mm platoon with 3 or 4 tubes.

I think the older 120mm tubes have been replaced with some fancy new system these days.

Now that is interesting.  I think the Germans used 81mm at the company level too.  Humping that tube and ammo
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:47:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mortars are fun ... to shoot, not to carry.  

There was a moment where I almost got transferred to a heavy mortar platoon, but I managed to avoid it.
View Quote

the base plate.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There's a small charge in the base, but most of the range comes from donut-shaped propellant charges that you place on the "stem" or whatever is above the tailfins.  More donuts = more range.

Mortars (like artillery/howitzers) are fired at 45-90 degrees, as opposed to cannon (like a tank gun, for example), which are fired at 0-45 degrees.  This makes mortars & howitzers ideal for supporting fire from behind your units, since they can fire over you (and over cover that the enemy might be behind).  So cannon is direct fire, and mortar/howitzer is indirect fire, if that makes sense.

(I'm probably not using the correct American technical terms.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great vid. Where's the propellant in the round? How high do they go in comparison to how far out? The angle they were shooting it looked like 70 degrees or more. Seriously, how do these things work?

There's a small charge in the base, but most of the range comes from donut-shaped propellant charges that you place on the "stem" or whatever is above the tailfins.  More donuts = more range.

Mortars (like artillery/howitzers) are fired at 45-90 degrees, as opposed to cannon (like a tank gun, for example), which are fired at 0-45 degrees.  This makes mortars & howitzers ideal for supporting fire from behind your units, since they can fire over you (and over cover that the enemy might be behind).  So cannon is direct fire, and mortar/howitzer is indirect fire, if that makes sense.

(I'm probably not using the correct American technical terms.)
Your terms are correct.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, OK. Reality is actually the complete opposite, but OK.

In fact, as I recall, there have actually been investigations into whether or not the Marine Corps was committing war crimes because of all of the head shots in Iraq, but it turned out that they were just shooting what the enemy presented. But, yeah, no one has heard about American riflemen in the GWOT.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not sure that I have heard of any battles from the GWOT where American mortarmen were involved. So does the US still use mortars, or is it all airstrikes, tanks and TOW missiles?
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:06:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Your terms are correct.
View Quote

Aren't the "donuts" called increments?  

"Increments."  That's a pretty goddamn college word for a mortarman.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:09:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:09:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Hulka Blows Up - Stripes (5/8) Movie CLIP (1981) HD
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

In fact, as I recall, there have actually been investigations into whether or not the Marine Corps was committing war crimes because of all of the head shots in Iraq, but it turned out that they were just shooting what the enemy presented. But, yeah, no one has heard about American riflemen in the GWOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure that I have heard of any battles from the GWOT where American riflemen were involved. So does the US still use rifles, or is it all airstrikes, tanks and TOW missiles?

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Joke was obviously indirect fire.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty sure we just did a mortar thread, and it had a video over an hour long doing mortar stuff.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#18]
OP must be retarded or something
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:23:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:27:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Mortars are still in use.  The pestle is used less, but it still out there.
View Quote

It was the lack of apothecaries in Malaki’s Iraq that yielded ISIS so much territory in their blitz.

History may not impress on future generations the value of a good grinding stone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 1:30:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I was in RC south and our mortar team use to blow shit up quite a bit yes.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
https://www.instagram.com/forwardobservations/?hl=en

Cool instagram with lots of mortar action
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 3:31:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Just watched the new movie called The Outpost. They had mortars, I expected it to be pretty accurate of a movie.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 3:57:55 AM EDT
[#24]

That’s a good illustration of a Mortar round.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mortars are fun ... to shoot, not to carry.  

There was a moment where I almost got transferred to a heavy mortar platoon, but I managed to avoid it.
View Quote

No Kidding!  As a former mortar maggot I can vouch for fact that humping the tube of an 81mm mortar through the jungles of central America sucked.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:07:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Now that is interesting.  I think the Germans used 81mm at the company level too.  Humping that tube and ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
60, 81, and 120mm varieties.

Mmm hmm love me some portable firepower

Now, humping the ammo is another matter entirely

Historically, 2-3 60mm tubes at the (light) infantry company level was common, with 4-8 tubes of 81mm at the battalion level.  Armored /Mechanized units got 120mm somewhere (sometimes 81mm or 107mm).

Depends on what org and what time you look at the MTOE, for US Army, USMC, foreign armies, etc.

US H-Series Infantry Bn TO&E used to have 3x 81mm M125A2 track-mounted M29 mortars in the Mech Infantry Companies, then 4x 4.2in 107mm M106A2 track mounted mortars in the Combat Support Companies.

When Big Army went to the J-Series TO&E, the Mech Infantry Companies lost their organic mortars, then 6x 4.2in/107mm then eventually 6x 120mm track mounted mortars starting around 1995.

Both my units in Berlin had unique TO&Es, first tour  89-90 we still had 3x 81mm M125A2 track mounted M29 mortars in the Rifle Company, with 2 Light Infantry Plts and 1 M113A2 Mech Platoon, then 4x 4.2in/107mm M106A2 track mounted mortars in the Combat Support Company. Then again, we still had M67 90mm Recoilless Rifles, M47 Dragons, and M202A1 FLASH Launchers in the Weapons Squads.  We also had M109A1 155mm Self Propelled Artillery (Nuclear Capable) in E Battery 320th FA and one Company M1 Tanks (Co F 40th Armor Regt)

2nd tour 92-94, we still had 3x 81mm M252 Mortars in each Rifle Company, each carried in an M1025 HMMWV, then 6x 120mm HMMWV-towed Mortars in the HHC.    The E Battery 320th FA exchanged the M109A1 SP 155mm for the Lightweight M102 105mm Towed Howitzers, Co F still kept the M1 Abrams.

Mortars are the Rifle Company Commanders' own pocket artillery.  You can react quicker, maintain more flexibility without having to constantly clear everything through the Bn Fire Support Officer.       Most of the time we were attached to a particular Dismount Plt, then dropped off to the flank, one terrain feature ahead of their objective to provide fire support. Sometimes all 3 Guns were attached to the main effort.

Mortars can reach the reverse slopes of hill and mountain terrain. The newer 81mm M800-series and 60mm M700 series HE with the Multi-Option-Proximity Fuse can put frag on enemy attempting to use walls for cover from direct fire and small arms.

Used to be, Company Mortars could keep dropping rounds longer in coordination with CAS, the mortars having a much lower Max Ordinate (Max Altitude the round travels to reach a specified range)  Nowadays I'm told, everything is weapons tight for some time prior to and after CAS entering the battlespace.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 6:01:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:01:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Some mortar men just hang a round.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Back when I taught mortar gunnery at Ft Benning.  FDC procedures at the Infantry Mortar Platoon Course.  Just remember:  RALS, LARS and Hey Diddle Diddle: far pole in the middle.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:15:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:17:23 AM EDT
[#31]
There is a Stryker variant that is a mortar carrier. The gun is built into the Stryker.  There are 3 MCVs per infantry company. 120mm rounds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL wut? There is tons of GWOT combat footage of Eleven Charlies launching mortars on a two way range.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:38:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Our light infantry rifle companies have a couple of 60mm mortar teams in the company headquarters element. And of course they have the bigger mortars at the battalion level. The Marine Corps is still a heavy believer in mortars also. So mortars are still very much alive and well in the U.S. military.
View Quote

Not just that, but there are many people that want to add more mortar systems. Like some single man portable system you'd give to 1 individual in every squad. It's not without merit; IDF inflicts way more enemy casualties than rifles and machine guns.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Every FOB in Iraq that I went to had some sort of mortar capability. When the conditions were right it was great to have those guys immediately returning fire when our base would get attacked with rockets or mortars. We’d run for cover while those guys ran to their mortars hoping they’d get to shoot back.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It was the lack of apothecaries in Malaki’s Iraq that yielded ISIS so much territory in their blitz.

History may not impress on future generations the value of a good grinding stone.
View Quote

This is true but it also needs noted that the only thing which has kept the drug war to such a relatively low level of escalation is that Mexicans never advanced past the molcajete and therefore their indirect fire technology is quite primitive.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not sure that I have heard of any battles from the GWOT where American riflemen were involved. So does the US still use rifles, or is it all airstrikes, tanks and TOW missiles?

I'm not surprised.
GWOT was - according to the news media - all about American servicemen coming home in a flag draped box.
There was a great deal of kerfuffle going on that was conveniently overlooked.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Great vid. Where's the propellant in the round? How high do they go in comparison to how far out? The angle they were shooting it looked like 70 degrees or more. Seriously, how do these things work?
View Quote

Indirect fire.
Mortars have been in use since before the Civil War.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:06:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Is your g oogle broke?

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:06:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Kharn
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Watching that vid and seeing all those WP rounds going downrange, someone had a really bad day.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Watching that vid and seeing all those WP rounds going downrange, someone had a really bad day.
View Quote

It makes me grin like a Cheshire Cat when I see combat vids with Wiley Pete hitting enemy positions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Of all of the German weapon systems in WW2, the 81mm mortar by far inflicted the most casualties on our troops. It’s a very effective weapon system.
View Quote

@AZshooter71 I’d be very interested to read the source on this.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Indirect fire.
View Quote

Humping that baseplate never appealed to me. But it could have been worse:

These honkers dropped a 13" ball of iron into the midst of the target. As a siege weapon, it was near total destruction.
Post Civil War, mortars were used as (unneeded) coastal defense batteries - plunging fire onto armored ships of the time (similar to how tanks are vulnerable from the air) meant that armor belts meant to stop naval gunfire were useless.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Indirect fire.
View Quote

If you ever find yourself in Vienna you can see one of the most singularly effective conventional weapons of all time. This mortar hit a Turkish powder magazine during the siege of Belgrade in 1717 and sent 3000 of them to Allah.

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#45]
Here is a tidbit that not many people know happened in Fallujah:

"A 60 mm or 81 mm white phosphorous mortar round, wrapped three times with detonation cord and a 1/4 or 1/2 stick of C-4. It was used to burn insurgents out of houses. "

Had a buddy with 3/5 that told me about this.

https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2005/7/1/2005july-marines-share-hardearned-knowledge
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Mortars are the reason you shoot from the top floor window and not the roof.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Sort of a dumb question honestly. Improvised mortars would have been a better thread

http://i.cbc.ca/1.2652677.1400879695!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_1180/syrian-rebels-fire-mortar.jpg
View Quote

those actually exist? I thought it was something Call of Duty made up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Got to hang some 120's in Syria at some Russians. Good times.

The 120mm and a good crew is by far one of the best weapons to have on your side on the battlefield.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Religiously.  60s at the company level, 81a and 120s at the battalion level.  Probably the most responsive form of fire support available to maneuver units.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top