Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked it up:  pressure is equal to force divided by area.  So if the area changed then yes the pressure would change.  But simply making a tire lay flatter is not changing the volume just the shape.  So the answer for a vehicle tire is no.
View Quote
If you change the shape of something with a rigid carcass like a steel belted radial, then you are going to change the volume at least slightly.
It's not like stuffing a balloon in a square box.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The answer is Yes.

How?

PV=nRT
View Quote
Your automatically ASSUMING that the internal volume of the tire changes when it bulges a bit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you change the shape of something with a rigid carcass like a steel belted radial, then you are going to change the volume.
It's not like stuffing a balloon in a square box.
View Quote
Tire isn't rigid, otherwise it wouldn't bulge
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There's no "slightly" about it. I inflate the rear tires of my truck to 71 PSI, per the door sticker. When I hitch up my trailer with 1100 lbs of tongue weight, and then I get on the highway, the tires will go up to 82 psi after 30 minutes or so. This is according to the TPMS display on my dash.  Total weight on the rear axle is about 5500 lbs.

And to the OP's question, no, the pressure does not change by simply adding the weight while parked. Again, the TPMS shows 71 psi before hitching IP, and 71 psi after.
View Quote
Some TPMS systems don't refresh instantaneously, especially if you're sitting still.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pretty rigid compared to a balloon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
In this thread we learn about people who can use a lot of words proving that they don’t know what they are talking about.

We also learn about people who think a small number is the same as zero.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In this thread we learn about people who can use a lot of words proving that they don't know what they are talking about.

We also learn about people who think a small number is the same as zero.
View Quote
So are we looking for a real-world effect difference, or a scientific "we can physically measure it, so lets take the time to do so" difference?

Is this a scientific exercise or a real-world effect exercise?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You use balloons for your truck tires
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#9]
30 psi and full load of 1000 lbs?

Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's up?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Found a tire that maxes at 1000 pounds @ 30psi
ST175/80R13 trailer tires

Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:28:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's up?
I alway assumed the recommended tire pressure was for an unloaded vehicle.

Maybe I'm wrong idk.

When I have a good load or loaded trailer I will run higher psi.

When fully loaded I will run it as high as what the tire states, not the door sticker.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not significantly. Temperature is a larger contributor usually.

But more weight = more deformity on road contact portion of tire = less volume = greater pressure.
View Quote
^^ this is the answer right here.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
pv=nrt

p1v1 = p2v2
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I alway assumed the recommended tire pressure was for an unloaded vehicle.

Maybe I'm wrong idk.

When I have a good load or loaded trailer I will run higher psi.

When fully loaded I will run it as high as what the tire states, not the door sticker.
View Quote
Tire pressures on the door are primarily for stability ratings and ride quality. ETA: And expected/rated load on pickup trucks.

That was the whole deal with the Ford/Firestone debacle from some years ago. Everybody blamed the tire for having blowout issues, when it was Ford who de-flated the tires to meet roll requirements.

As you can see from the chart I just posted, the same tire has different load carrying capacities at different pressures. Running your tires at maximum PSI when empty can:
  • cause wear issues
  • cause handling that is different than stock (manufacturer intended)
  • cause rougher ride
  • increase fuel economy* (*my theory: if the tire doesn't have to flex all the time (takes power), the engine requires that much less power to roll)
So its actually the preferred practice to match the tire PSI to the load on the tire. As a neat example: my Excursion uses LT265/75R16E tires. The tires take up to 80PSI, but the axle carrying capacity means there is no reason to run more than 65psi, which is oddly enough the recommended pressure on the door, so I keep them at 65psi.

ETA: running too LOW of psi in your tires for the given conditions can results in:
  • wear issues
  • heat issues (blown tires) from excessive sidewall flexing. This will happen even on light loads...
  • handling issues
  • poor fuel economy
  • you look like an idiot for driving on squatted tires. Turn in your man card at the nearest kiosk.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Only if there's a treadmill and magnets involved.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lots of people smoking something this evening.

Yes.  Pressure increases.  It is not a linear increase to match the load, as the tire itself will deform as pressure increases.
View Quote
I'm just making my way through this thread, but here's the first correct answer.

Doesn't anyone trailer?  Empty trailers wear out the center of the tire all the time because they are over-pressured empty and correct when full.  The load smashes the tire making a larger contact patch, and increasing tire pressure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm just making my way through this thread, but here's the first correct answer.

Doesn't anyone trailer?  Empty trailers wear out the center of the tire all the time because they are over-pressured empty and correct when full.  The load smashes the tire making a larger contact patch, and increasing tire pressure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of people smoking something this evening.

Yes.  Pressure increases.  It is not a linear increase to match the load, as the tire itself will deform as pressure increases.

I big rig. Does that count?

Part in red: BY HOW MUCH??? I've never seen it enough to even register on a tire pressure gauge under normal loads. The tire changing shape a bit does not mean volume inside the tire (or the air pressure) was effected in any significant manor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#19]
After reading through this thread, the common misnomer I am seeing is the belief a load on a tire actually decreases the volume; this is incorrect.  In fact, the opposite is true since the rubber in the tire will stretch ever so slightly increasing volume.  A change of shape (sidewall bulge) does not mean there is a change of volume. The only variables that will affect pressure within a tire is temperature and volume. (see below) As others have stated, a load can cause a tire to heat up hence changing the pressure, but the mass of the load on the tire will not.

Why do we add air to tires that are bulging under a load? To increase the pressure.  If the load on tire actually increased the pressure, wouldn’t the tire inflate itself?

Boyle’s Law: Constant=temperature. Volume increases, pressure decreases or volume decreases, pressure increases. Inversely proportional

Charles’ Law: Constant=pressure. Temperature increases, Volume increases or Temperature decreases, Volume decreases. Directly proportional.

Gay Lussac’s Law: Constant=volume.  Temperature increases, Pressure increases.  Directly proportional.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#20]
What size coal is in the truck?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I would guess no air pressure change with more weight on the tire. If you load a whole week of groceries into your F 350 the air in the tires isn't really transferring that weight to the Walmart parking lot. The tire walls are. The tire walls can only hold so much, just like anything else they will fail if too many Cheezey Poofs are loaded on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, pressure does increase as long as the resulting resulting strain is staying within the elastic range of the tire's material properties.

The rigid tire carcass means that the relationship between load and pressure is not linear (stand on a bare tire with no rim, for example)

Just because you don't notice the pressure increase with imprecise instruments does not mean it is not there, nor that it is not repeatable or quantifiable.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The answer is Yes.

How?

PV=nRT
View Quote
or in this case

P=nRT/V
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tire pressures on the door are primarily for stability ratings and ride quality. ETA: And expected/rated load on pickup trucks.

That was the whole deal with the Ford/Firestone debacle from some years ago. Everybody blamed the tire for having blowout issues, when it was Ford who de-flated the tires to meet roll requirements.

As you can see from the chart I just posted, the same tire has different load carrying capacities at different pressures. Running your tires at maximum PSI when empty can:
  • cause wear issues
  • cause rougher ride
  • increase fuel economy* (*my theory: if the tire doesn't have to flex all the time (takes power), the engine requires that much less power to roll)
So its actually the preferred practice to match the tire PSI to the load on the tire. As a neat example: my Excursion uses LT265/75R16E tires. The tires take up to 80PSI, but the axle carrying capacity means there is no reason to run more than 65psi, which is oddly enough the recommended pressure on the door, so I keep them at 65psi.

ETA: running too LOW of psi in your tires for the given conditions can results in:
  • wear issues
  • heat issues (blown tires) from excessive sidewall flexing. This will happen even on light loads...
  • handling issues
  • poor fuel economy
  • you look like an idiot for driving on squatted tires. Turn in your man card at the nearest kiosk.
View Quote
I have the same tire on my Tacoma; runs at 37 psi.

OEM:euro-metric 265/70/16/112 @ 30 psi=2,149 lbs inflated load capacity

Aftermarket tire:
LT265/75/16/123(E) @ 37 psi=1,954 lbs inflated load capacity(after P/euro-metric to LT de-rating factor of 1.1)

Truck has a curb weight of 4,500 lbs and GVWR of 5,600 lbs.

What I'm getting at is, there's more being considered than straight GVWR when their calculating the recommended psi.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Geez, freshman high school physics, what a statement to the failure of public education.  Boyle's Gas Law even high school Chemistry should have covered this.  And to think Common Core was suppose to make this better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Seems to me, if you sit on a balloon, it's going to pop.  
View Quote
For some the balloon might just disappear.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:30:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
After reading through this thread, the common misnomer I am seeing is the belief a load on a tire actually decreases the volume; this is incorrect.  In fact, the opposite is true since the rubber in the tire will stretch ever so slightly increasing volume.  A change of shape (sidewall bulge) does not mean there is a change of volume. The only variables that will affect pressure within a tire is temperature and volume. (see below) As others have stated, a load can cause a tire to heat up hence changing the pressure, but the mass of the load on the tire will not.

Why do we add air to tires that are bulging under a load? To increase the pressure.  If the load on tire actually increased the pressure, wouldn’t the tire inflate itself?

Boyle’s Law: Constant=temperature. Volume increases, pressure decreases or volume decreases, pressure increases. Inversely proportional

Charles’ Law: Constant=pressure. Temperature increases, Volume increases or Temperature decreases, Volume decreases. Directly proportional.

Gay Lussac’s Law: Constant=volume.  Temperature increases, Pressure increases.  Directly proportional.
View Quote
Wait wat? Adding load increases tire volume and thus decreases tire pressure? I'm gonna need to see some work on this one. Maybe if the tire exceeds it's elasticity range and fails and tears a giant bubble out of the sidewall, but doesn't actually burst.

This seems like a perfect experiment for someone with an actual precise (2+ decimal places for PSI) pressure monitor to perform and then chart the pressure with added load.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:30:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Aftermarket tire:
LT265/75/16/123(E) @ 37 psi=1,954 lbs inflated load capacity(after P/euro-metric to LT de-rating factor of 1.1)

What I'm getting at is, there's more being considered than straight GVWR when their calculating the recommended psi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

• cause wear issues
  • cause rougher ride

• wear issues
  • handling issues
  • poor fuel economy

Aftermarket tire:

Oh yes, ride quality, roll stability, what tire was originally (even the tread pattern) used all come into play for their recommended PSI. In theory, you are also only supposed to use OEM prescribed tires or exact equivalent, but nobody GAF about that.

The fact that you went from a passenger tire to an LT tire changes handling quite a bit. The sidewalls are far stiffer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Geez, freshman high school physics, what a statement to the failure of public education.  Boyle's Gas Law even high school Chemistry should have covered this.  And to think Common Core was suppose to make this better.
View Quote
Forget physics, it's just common sense if you think about it for even a second.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Pressure doesn't change dramatically.

IE; when I set a tractor/trailer to 100/90D/90T,  then it get's loaded with 50K lbs of product, pressure is still relatively 100/90/90.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You guys seem to enjoy physics questions.  How about this?

You inflate your vehicles tires to 30psi just as the manual and door frame label recommend, then you add 1000 lbs of weight in cargo (gravel, firewood, whatever).  You can SEE your tires look different.  When measured, do you think the pressure has changed?
View Quote
Maybe you should bend down and read what the tires says.

Because the door sticker doesn't know what tires you run, what weight those tires can carry, and what payload you are carrying.

_
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#33]
The pressure doesn't change much. The tire deforms to increase the contact patch while keeping it's volume nearly constant. It will obviously be compressed a bit, not enough to notice on a gauge.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, but not a meaningful amount under normal loads.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Yes the pressure will increase under load if significant enough.
What the fuck kind of nonsense is going on in here?

Jack up a tire.
Fill tire to 5psi
Remove jack.
Measure psi
Oh my goodness it higher.

Rocket science.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Jack up a tire.
Fill tire to 5psi
Remove jack.
Measure psi

Rocket science.
View Quote
I dare you to try exactly that with a truck/car tire and non +-.001 gauge.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack up a tire.
Fill tire to 5psi
Remove jack.
Measure psi

Rocket science.
What is happening in here? You can do it with a bicycle tire.
Lift tire off floor.
Fill to 5 psi.
Sit on bike.
Record PSI

I've done it to measure psi for mud riding with a full load.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Back when I was working for a different company, were were installing a ballasted roof on a school.  The roof was almost complete - we only had about 17-ish more tons of gravel on order at the pit.  They sent this total numbskull of a truck driver to go pick up some gravel and take it to the jobsite.  His single-axle dump truck could only hold about five tons of weight, so when he got to the gravel pit and they asked him how much of the remaining rock he wanted, he just said, "Hell, give me all of it."

He made it about a half mile before all six tires exploded and he was left sitting by the roadside on his rims.

So yes, if you put a shit-ton of weight on a truck, it DOES change the air pressure in the tires.  The pressure decreases to zero.
View Quote
Know how I know that this story is 100% fabrication?
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Pressure increases to some extent because volume decreases. A cross section of the tire before the load would show it being closer to round. After the load, it will be more oval. The relationship of volume per unit of surface area decreases as the shape changes from round towards flat.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
And to think common core was suppose to make yer spellin better.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#41]
How Arfcom Engineers check their tires

Attachment Attached File

vs. Arfcom Truck Drivers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
What the hell. OK i just did it.

Chevy suburban
Drivers front / Left front
Jack up truck
Set to 10 PSI
Lower jack
Record PSI
11.2 PSI

OMG I'm a wizard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:30:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back when I was working for a different company, were were installing a ballasted roof on a school.  The roof was almost complete - we only had about 17-ish more tons of gravel on order at the pit.  They sent this total numbskull of a truck driver to go pick up some gravel and take it to the jobsite.  His single-axle dump truck could only hold about five tons of weight, so when he got to the gravel pit and they asked him how much of the remaining rock he wanted, he just said, "Hell, give me all of it."

He made it about a half mile before all six tires exploded and he was left sitting by the roadside on his rims.

So yes, if you put a shit-ton of weight on a truck, it DOES change the air pressure in the tires.  The pressure decreases to zero.
How do you know?  "Exploded" may have been poetic license, simply because I wasn't there when it happened.  I did have to scoop most of the rock out of the back of the dump truck with a boom truck and hydraulic clamshell, and load it into a larger truck, though.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Headed out to the skatepark with my boys. I'm gonna try out my new found wizardry skills.

I'll post my results.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes.  The tires compress because of the weight.  And then there is a temperature increase because of the deformity when you drive.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wait wat? Adding load increases tire volume and thus decreases tire pressure? I'm gonna need to see some work on this one. Maybe if the tire exceeds it's elasticity range and fails and tears a giant bubble out of the sidewall, but doesn't actually burst.

This seems like a perfect experiment for someone with an actual precise (2+ decimal places for PSI) pressure monitor to perform and then chart the pressure with added load.
View Quote
Now you’ve fone and done it

Accuracy vs precision will add a few pages of jibber-jabber.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#47]
go put a tire gauge on your truck take a reading, record your results
fill it up with heavy stuff and take another reading, record your results,compare results.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Headed out to the skatepark with my boys. I'm gonna try out my new found wizardry skills.

I'll post my results.
View Quote
Please do include tire specs and approximate weight.

I've done this with tractor tires and semi truck tires and no change was ever recorded (on a standard stick gauge).

And also please report if you squat the tire to the rims (damaging your tire ) or just bulge a bit from weight. There is a difference, as I don't know *many* arfcommers who would run their truck fully loaded on the rims
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes, pressure increases.

Imagine the cross section of the bottom part of the tire as a rough circle.   As you put more weight on the tire, that shape becomes more of a flattened oval.

Tires are not very elastic, so the circumference of the circle won't change (very much) as it's squished into an oval.   Therefore, the area of the cross section decreases.

Now imagine the tire as a 3D shape again, and you can see that the tire volume decreases as it's squished by more weight.  The mass of air in the tire does not change.... so as the volume of the container decreases, the pressure must increase.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Chevy suburban
Jack up truck
Set to 10 PSI
Lower jack
Record PSI
11.2 PSI

OMG I'm a wizard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chevy suburban
Jack up truck
Set to 10 PSI
Lower jack
Record PSI
11.2 PSI

OMG I'm a wizard.
5psi not 10.

The amount of volume to increase past that 5 psi in any significant amount will almost certainly be more than the volume reduction from damaging your tire.

ETA: Pics or it didn't happen, as it was only 22 minutes from my post to yours, during work hours.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top