User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes

Put 1,000,000 lbs in the back of your truck- what happens?

The tires pop.

Why do they pop?

If there is no change in pressure, the tires will not pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0fE8nIt_bY
View Quote
Interesting how he(probably unknowingly) produced a valid test that accounted for the loss of air in the tires.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Now you’ve fone and done it

Accuracy vs precision will add a few pages of jibber-jabber.
View Quote
Throw in Gauge R&R and we can get this to 25 pages minimum.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What the hell. OK i just did it.

Chevy suburban
Drivers front / Left front
Jack up truck
Set to 10 PSI
Lower jack
Record PSI
11.2 PSI

OMG I'm a wizard.
View Quote
The % variation will be greater at lower pressure due to the high deformation of the tire.
Can you try it at 30?

For another test, take something with a tall sidewall, jack it up, and let all of the air out until it's at ambient pressure.
Cap it and then set the vehicle back down on the ground.  I bet that gage pressure won't be "0"...
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If the the tire deforms under additional load the pressure has to go up but since the contact patch area increases significantly faster than volume-decreases/pressure-rises it takes a lot of addition load to see an appreciable increase in pressure.

Using some simplified geometry of a tire to make the math easy and assuming no major stretch of the tire (not a bad assumption given the amount of cording and steel belts in a modern tire)  A 265/60R18 tire with 35 psi and 1250 lbs of load has a contact patch of ~ 36 in^2  if you increase that load to 1750 lbs the contact patch goes up to ~50 inch^2 and the internal pressure of the tire would rise to 35.03 psi due to the additional deformation. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you use Armor All on them?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The volume of air, does not increase, what happens is you have decreased the space that volume of air occupies, 30 PSI is 30 PSI.  In a sealed environment, it can exert more or less pressure due to the volume of that sealed environment as it decreases or increases, but the volume of the air will remain the same unless it is heated or cooled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But pressure of a gas is related to volume that gas is in (area). If you constrict the volume that a gas is in the pressure will increase. If you increase the volume pressure will decrease.

The only other thing I can think of then is the top of the tire is also deforming so the overall volume is remaining the same.
The volume of air, does not increase, what happens is you have decreased the space that volume of air occupies, 30 PSI is 30 PSI.  In a sealed environment, it can exert more or less pressure due to the volume of that sealed environment as it decreases or increases, but the volume of the air will remain the same unless it is heated or cooled.
what?

What is volume of air if not "space occupied"?

And we're not talking about volume, we are talking about pressure.  A gas expands to the volume of its container.

JFC, this site is like "are you smarter than a 4th Grader?".
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If the the tire deforms under additional load the pressure has to go up but since the contact patch area increases significantly faster than volume-decreases/pressure-rises it takes a lot of addition load to see an appreciable increase in pressure.

Using some simplified geometry of a tire to make the math easy and assuming no major stretch of the tire (not a bad assumption given the amount of cording and steel belts in a modern tire)  A 265/60R18 tire with 35 psi and 1250 lbs of load has a contact patch of ~ 36 in^2  if you increase that load to 1750 lbs the contact patch goes up to ~50 inch^2 and the internal pressure of the tire would rise to 35.03 psi due to the additional deformation. YMMV
View Quote
That is a great answer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That is a great answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a great answer.
It is. I’m not that patient but that’s exactly what I was trying to articulate earlier.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Simple answer, yes. Gas is compressible; as it compresses, the pressure changes. Yes, the tire will deflect some but it is not a 1:1 ratio. The tire is an airspring.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wait wat? Adding load increases tire volume and thus decreases tire pressure? I'm gonna need to see some work on this one. Maybe if the tire exceeds it's elasticity range and fails and tears a giant bubble out of the sidewall, but doesn't actually burst.

This seems like a perfect experiment for someone with an actual precise (2+ decimal places for PSI) pressure monitor to perform and then chart the pressure with added load.
View Quote
Good catch.  The rubber would not stretch under a load since the pressure does not increase.  Volume remains constant.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's do this mathematically.

assume your tires are pressurized to 30 psi.

Assume your truck weighs 5000 lbs.

I just measured my truck tire in contact with the ground. 81 sq inches.

4 tires makes that 324 sq inches

324 sq inches at 30 pounds per square inch = 9720 lbs

what this means I have no idea.

Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Heat will cause pressure to increase, but heavier loads do not, it simply displaces the air into a small volume vessel.  If you park your truck in the driveway and do not move it, but add a thousand pounds of ballast you have not increased the overall pressure of the tire, you have simply displaced into a smaller area.

Air expands with heat and contracts with cold.

30 PSI is 30 PSI no matter what happens, 30 PSI can be squeezed into a small vessel, which is exactly what happens when you put a load on a truck and that depends on how much side deflection your particular tire has, but is still has 30 PSI in that tire.
View Quote
Wrong. You displaced it into a larger area, by expanding the tire where it is not in contact with an incompressible surface, IE the pavement, road surface. When you squeeze a balloon, it does not get smaller, unless you squeeze it from every direction equally; it gets larger. This thins the walls unequally. You most certainly can pop a tire by overloading it at rest, unless something else fails first. Because the pressure is maintained by expanding the container, that is, the tire.
The tire pressure recommended accounts for heat increase within the designed load rating. That is why it is specified as a cold pressure.
The general rule is 1 psi per ten deg F up or down.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
You probably assumed the total area under each tire, you need to subtract the area created by the tire grooves to get the correct contact patch.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You probably assumed the total area under each tire, you need to subtract the area created by the tire grooves to get the correct contact patch.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have bald tires, your mileage ( pun intended ) may vary.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Heat will cause pressure to increase, but heavier loads do not, it simply displaces the air into a small volume vessel.  If you park your truck in the driveway and do not move it, but add a thousand pounds of ballast you have not increased the overall pressure of the tire, you have simply displaced into a smaller area.

Air expands with heat and contracts with cold.

30 PSI is 30 PSI no matter what happens, 30 PSI can be squeezed into a small vessel, which is exactly what happens when you put a load on a truck and that depends on how much side deflection your particular tire has, but is still has 30 PSI in that tire.
View Quote
Nice, well, except for the ideal gas law  PV = NrT

If you change the volume (V) and keep everything else constant the pressure (P) absolutely has to change.  Which is exactly what you're saying, that is, changing the volume.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
this is why shot that hauls heavy uses 10+ ply tires and your tacoma and F 150 use glorified car tires
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
5psi not 10.

The amount of volume to increase past that 5 psi in any significant amount will almost certainly be more than the volume reduction from damaging your tire.

ETA: Pics or it didn't happen, as it was only 22 minutes from my post to yours, during work hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dare you to try exactly that with a truck/car tire and non +-.001 gauge.
What the hell. OK i just did it.

Chevy suburban
Drivers front / Left front
Jack up truck
Set to 10 PSI
Lower jack
Record PSI
11.2 PSI

OMG I'm a wizard.
5psi not 10.

The amount of volume to increase past that 5 psi in any significant amount will almost certainly be more than the volume reduction from damaging your tire.

ETA: Pics or it didn't happen, as it was only 22 minutes from my post to yours, during work hours.
Hah. It happened. My point as stated is that pressure will go up if the load is significant enough. Will 1000 pounds deform a 30psi truck tire significantly? Depends on the tire. A smooth riding thin sidewall tire, maybe. A 10 ply truck tire...maybe not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hah. It happened. My point as stated is that pressure will go up if the load is significant enough. Will 1000 pounds deform a 30psi truck tire significantly? Depends on the tire. A smooth riding thin sidewall tire, maybe. A 10 ply truck tire...maybe not.
View Quote
If you totally squat a tire, sure, but no significant difference will occur under normal circumstances.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top