Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Already listed $90 for a new barrel.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/remington-870-12ga-28in-barrel-target-sports.html

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Buy a new barrel for the 870. 26 - 30 inches with interchangeable choke tubes.
View Quote

This.

I killed a pile of ducks with a Mossberg 500

You don't need anything special.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Just a heads up - but that barrel does NOT take the Factory Rem-Choke choke tubes - it uses the Browning - Winchester - Mossberg - NEF style choke tubes.

If O.P. wants to get a few extra choke tubes, (skeet, IC, Full) to go with the 'Modified' that comes with that barrel, he'd want to be sure he orders the correct thread pattern / type. (Browning / winchester / Mossberg) instead of Rem-Choke.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just a heads up - but that barrel does NOT take the Factory Rem-Choke choke tubes - it uses the Browning - Winchester - Mossberg - NEF style choke tubes.

If O.P. wants to get a few extra choke tubes, (skeet, IC, Full) to go with the 'Modified' that comes with that barrel, he'd want to be sure he orders the correct thread pattern / type. (Browning / winchester / Mossberg) instead of Rem-Choke.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

This is important to note.  The tubes for both styles are widely available but are NOT cross-compatible.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What he said!!  

and be sure you have a limiting plug (you can only have three rounds (1 in chamber + 2 in magazine) when hunting migratory birds (doves, ducks, geese, cranes, etc...)  A lot of folks with short barrels set for "Home Defense" no longer have the limiting plug installed and they don't know where it has gone too.

870 barrel with choke tubes on your existing 870 Express will certainly kill ducks & geese as well or better (for a lot less money) than a "new" shotgun.

Spend the extra money saved on good comfortable waders & jacket + Premium ammo (Bismith or Heavi-shot)

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote

Another important note.  Do not get caught without the magazine plug.  The fine can be stiff.

ETA: if you don't have one, it can be easily fashioned from a piece of 1/2" thick wooden dowel cut to the proper length.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stoeger M3500.  Benelli ownes them.
View Quote

Beretta owns them both.

Also own:  Franchi, SAKO, Tikka, Uberti, Burris Optics and Steiner
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:40:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hammer a steel pipe onto a saiga12 barrel.
View Quote

Why
They sell fixed and screw in choke barrel extensions from 2.5 - 8 inches long
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What he said!!  

and be sure you have a limiting plug (you can only have three rounds (1 in chamber + 2 in magazine) when hunting migratory birds (doves, ducks, geese, cranes, etc...)  A lot of folks with short barrels set for "Home Defense" no longer have the limiting plug installed and they don't know where it has gone too.

870 barrel with choke tubes on your existing 870 Express will certainly kill ducks & geese as well or better (for a lot less money) than a "new" shotgun.

Spend the extra money saved on good comfortable waders & jacket + Premium ammo (Bismith or Heavi-shot)

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote

Best compromise ammo is heavi-metal, half heavy shot half steel,
Heavi shot, most bismuth, and tungsten blends have gotten retardedly fucking expensive
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Another important note.  Do not get caught without the magazine plug.  The fine can be stiff.

ETA: if you don't have one, it can be easily fashioned from a piece of 1/2" thick wooden dowel cut to the proper length.
View Quote

Or a pencil, or a Bic pen
Or the keel off a wooden decoy hacked up with a pocket knife
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
The M3500 is like the Beretta gas system rod and the Benelli inertia system had a baby.

Excellent shotgun for the money.

Link Posted: 7/23/2023 10:49:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Best compromise ammo is heavi-metal, half heavy shot half steel,
Heavi shot, most bismuth, and tungsten blends have gotten retardedly fucking expensive
View Quote

It's 30% Bismuth and 70% steel. It costs more than Boss. Boss is copper plated 100% Bismuth.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a used 3 1/2" 12ga Benelli Nova for about $370 earlier this year from Cabela's.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Partner?  How long have you been in business together?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sexually? Almont 15 years!

I know you are shitposting, and appreciate it.

But she has taken more fowl with that gun than rounds what the average GD'er has fired.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#14]
We've had some issues with plated plated bismuth on the fatter late season divers.

Non tox Is bullshit where we hunt anyway, in deep open water
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But she has taken more fowl with that gun than rounds what the average GD'er has fired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You won the Lottery with that one!  

Cute & Shoots!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Had a couple of 40 year old 870s with fixed chokes. Got a new barrel and gave it to a friend and he has hunted ducks with it for the last 25 years. Still have a few boxes of ammo from back in the day. Lead shot duck and pheasent load. Just have them in storage for no reason.

I may order one of the barrels listed above.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said!!  

Bigger_Hammer

While you can absolutely use a cross cut dowel (I've always brought several precut dowels along as "spares" in the hunt box because frequently when doing the 'precheck' someone who will swear the plug is "in" their shotgun will then discover that a 3rd shell (and often a 4th too) will slip into the magazine tube and that is Muy No Bueno.

For what it is worth, I'd recommend to "round" the edges of the ends (cigar style) to ensure the spring coils slip smoothly around the ends of the plug when the spring is compressed & released (prevents kink or binding).  Not 100% required but to my thinking considering of the costs of a great hunt, then "why not" as it only takes a few seconds on a grinder.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I was duck hunting with a Stevens model 58 12ga when I was thirteen.
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Op, I sent you an email. Let me know what you think about that...
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was duck hunting with a Stevens model 58 12ga when I was thirteen.
View Quote

First ducks I killed were with a Stevens model 311 double barrel loaned to me from my great grandfather. Good times.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Remington 11/87 3.5", artilliary masterpiece, with hand loaded ammo. I can't find this in belt fed if I could I would.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:33:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#23]
CZ 1012. Up to 3” shells - 28” barrel semi auto. Just bought one at Cabela’s. Didn’t show they had any online. Asked at the gun counter and got a nope. Haven’t seen those in a while. As I was walking out and browsing the used gun I see 4 of them on the used racks. Brand new. $499. Asked what the deal was with these guns. The used manager said the distributor was clearing out inventory and Cabelas bought these guns and took possession. Then they were reselling them as used guns so they could pass along the discount. Came with everything a new one has. Case and all. Gun has been perfect several times out now. If you have a Cabelas near by stop in and check.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This.  Used to have one and never had a problem with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stoeger 3500.  Benelli design.  Can handle 3 1/2 shells.  In your price range.
Stoeger 3500

This.  Used to have one and never had a problem with it.

Yep, same here. And same with my son.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:49:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

First ducks I killed were with a Stevens model 311 double barrel loaned to me from my great grandfather. Good times.
View Quote

My grandpa had a Stevens 311 .410. it was the first gun I fired. It magically disappeared when he passed away.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd go with an extra barrel for the 870.

I have 4 variations for my 12 ga. super mag (top one) and 2 for a 20 ga mag (middle).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:17:38 AM EDT
[#27]
i just picked up a stoeger condor o/u for $449. took it out for clays this weekend and give it a run through. it’s a little heavy for my wife, but i found it quite enjoyable.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:26:24 AM EDT
[#28]
3-1/2" loads arenot something I hunt with often enough.

Taken plenty with 3" steel (#4 or #3) and zero regerts.

Used an 870 last time I was out. 28" with Modified choke.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

aint that the truth.
barrels are insanely priced right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A good gun in the $500 range is a second barrel for the 870.

aint that the truth.
barrels are insanely priced right now.

Used to be cheap as shit, now you can't touch a decent (ETA decent as in factory or solid aftermarket) barrel for under a few bills. The barrels alone are worth more than the rest of most 870s save a wingmaster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:32:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Remington 11/87 3.5", artilliary masterpiece, with hand loaded ammo. I can't find this in belt fed if I could I would.
View Quote

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Tristar Viper
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What he said!!  

Bigger_Hammer

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said!!  

Bigger_Hammer

This is good info, thanks. Mine has a magazine tube as long as the barrel and didn’t come with a limiting plug. Looks like I’ll be picking up a dowel rod.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a long barrel. But $90 is $90.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, I should get one of those for my TAC14.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  I've been duck hunting with an 870 since the late 80's.  Tried a few other things, but always go back to the 870.

Get a 28" Remchoke barrel, put on your 870, use it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Saw a good camo Remington 870 super mag 3 1/2” mag for $430.00. At the pawn shop a few days ago.
View Quote

Eh, the supermags kinda suck.  I got a camo supermag and it had shells hang up in the chamber all the time.

Dumped it and went back to my old 3" 870.

3.5" shells cost twice as much, kick a lot harder, and don't really give you any advantage at all duck hunting.

I tried the supermag for a couple of years.  Discovered it didn't do anything any better than my old 3", and it jammed, so I dumped it.

By the time the supermags came out, Remington quality control had gotten pretty sad.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

A pencil, pen, or stick also works in a pinch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#40]
26 inch barrel for your 870....or just by an 870 special purpose.  It will do everything you need it to do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is good info, thanks. Mine has a magazine tube as long as the barrel and didn’t come with a limiting plug. Looks like I’ll be picking up a dowel rod.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said!!  

Bigger_Hammer

IF that is the case - you have an issue fitting a "conventional" 870 barrel.

Express "tactical" ONE piece long extended factory magazine tube.   Note the barrel lug is way out at the end.

"Conventional" 870 with standard 'sporter' / conventional magazine & barrels.  barrel lug is at mid position.

Conventional 870 with standard magazine + Remington factory magazine extension (two parts).  barrel lug is at mid position.

If you have the special Remington ONE piece extended "tactical" factory magazine tube - to use the Conventional 870 barrel requires a special spacer sleeve because of the difference in the barrel loop lug position.

You would need Remington part number F402819 (spacer)   Usually less than $25. Might try to call their customer service line for parts.

From  https://www.rem870.com/2013/01/13/remington-870-barrels/

I do NOT know if this spacer sleeve is still available after the Remington bankruptcy - but that info is a place to start.

Good Luck & Good Hunting!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Look for an old Beretta AL390 on the used racks.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Cute & Shoots!

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cute & Shoots!

Bigger_Hammer

She just loves killin'!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Killed plenty of ducks with mosberg 835 in your price range. Don't shoot 3.5s in it unless you want to feel like you were in a car wreck

Upgraded to an A400 and sold the 835 with an extra slug barrel for $400
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#45]
It took 3.5 pages for me to post this, but if you like hunting, eating, and hanging with friends , you’ll love duck hunting. The later two are guaranteed, the ducks are not.

If you get bitten by it, buy once, cry once, because you’ll be crying up and down the river. Waders, decoys, calls, slings, base layers, etc. It’s an expensive sport. Can you do it cheap? Sure, but more than likely you’ll be like everyone else who likes nice stuff. For every “bah, my 870 is all you need to shoot ducks” are 99 guys with A5s, SBEs, custom chokes, etc.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It took 3.5 pages for me to post this, but if you like hunting, eating, and hanging with friends , you’ll love duck hunting. The later two are guaranteed, the ducks are not.

If you get bitten by it, buy once, cry once, because you’ll be crying up and down the river. Waders, decoys, calls, slings, base layers, etc. It’s an expensive sport. Can you do it cheap? Sure, but more than likely you’ll be like everyone else who likes nice stuff. For every “bah, my 870 is all you need to shoot ducks” are 99 guys with A5s, SBEs, custom chokes, etc.
View Quote

I forgot to add - my 870 is literally a spare gun to introduce people now.

The same guys who are all “shit, all you need is a rustomatic 870! Kills em just as dead as a SBE” are the same GDers who think a stick shift v6 regular cab f150 without any electronics would sell more than a lariat f150 that costs 70k in 2023.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Came here to post that.  <$100 fixes the problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said!!  

Bigger_Hammer

I just break a cheap plastic hanger to length.  

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been hunting for 50 years.  I've used old hand-me-downs & bought the very best top shelf stuff in the store and over the years everything in-between.

If I had to choose between a old but functional 870 + nice right sized waders, jacket, boots & gloves Vs. spending all the money on only a new "Wunderweapon" with little to nothing left but to try to make use of old leaky waders, a coat that doesn't fit well and lack of decoys & calls ...

I'd say from experience that an old 870 will kill those ducks or geese (or doves or rabbits or pheasants) just as dead, but having good personal hunting gear makes a BIG difference on enjoying a hunt & being successful - especially when conditions are less than ideal or comfortable when it is cold, wet, muddy, ect...)

Not sure what personal gear you already have - but it makes a big difference in your comfort & enjoyment of the hunt if you aren't shivering your teeth freezing cold or constricted in too tight a coat hampering your swing or your toes aching in too small a pair of boots (with wearing heavy socks for the cold) or your legs are soaked in cold cold water from leaky waders.  

As Dogesco93 was absolutely correct - Duck Hunting is a great bonding experience & it's easy to get hooked!

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#50]

@p3590

Dang!  

That is a brilliant WECSOGS solution right there!!

I've used wood dowels, but didn't like they can get wet & hold moisture (unlike plastic)

Going to go find a few spare hangers to sacrifice to "hand craft" a few spare plugs for hunt box.

Every season it seems someone(s) always forgets theirs.  

Thank You for sharing that sir!  

Bigger_Hammer
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top