BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The most puzzling thing about all of this the fact that I have no idea what cookie butter is.
View Quote
I still don't, and I don't think I want to either.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 2:09:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Take gingerbread cookies and sugar cookies. Bake them until they're dry. Crush them into dust. Add butter. Add Flour. Add Sugar. You have cookie butter.

It's big in Germany so...Naturally...
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Wtf is cookie butter?  Is it hair gel or like duck butter?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Take gingerbread cookies and sugar cookies. Bake them until they're dry. Crush them into dust. Add butter. Add Flour. Add Sugar. You have cookie butter.

It's big in Germany so...Naturally...
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

care packages sent from home became "community property" once they were opened.
Only if I deliberately leave it out for people.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did two tours in Afghanistan and that absolutely was not the case.
View Quote
We had the community box in my Platoons tent, Everyone donated to the cause, that's why most wives etc included extra stuff. Last deployment 20% was for me and the rest went to my platoon. Why wouldn't you share stuff with the guys you fight beside?

My only issue was my dudes bumming all my smokes, so when I bought a carton I just said make it two
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IIRC, it was a Seal team who left a HMMWV unattended in the summer of 2007 near Fallujah that got stripped of weapons and gear. M240 gone and whatever else that was in the truck. I dont remember if comms got stolen, but I remember having to refill my squads squads crypto. At least the BFT wasn't stolen.

Later in that same deployment we had a team come to our AO. They stayed at the IP station where one of our platoons manned. They left gear on the trucks staged outside. Some of their NVGs got stollen by some ICWs
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the distinct pleasure of living with SEALs on Camp McCloskey in Afghanistan as an Army Officer for several months at the conclusion of operations in 2014, arguing with them pretty much daily. They did not follow rules then, and I'm positive they still don't. I personally watched them compromise billions of dollars in technology which we can no longer use as well as put hundreds of service members lives at serious risk including my own. Nothing I read on the news regarding NSW surprises me after that bs experience.
IIRC, it was a Seal team who left a HMMWV unattended in the summer of 2007 near Fallujah that got stripped of weapons and gear. M240 gone and whatever else that was in the truck. I dont remember if comms got stolen, but I remember having to refill my squads squads crypto. At least the BFT wasn't stolen.

Later in that same deployment we had a team come to our AO. They stayed at the IP station where one of our platoons manned. They left gear on the trucks staged outside. Some of their NVGs got stollen by some ICWs
Damn,
I heard some stories, but that's crazy. How do you write off a M240 and some NODs? Had I done that chances are I would have been relieved on the spot, and then sitting behind a laptop in S-3.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the distinct pleasure of living with SEALs on Camp McCloskey in Afghanistan as an Army Officer for several months at the conclusion of operations in 2014, arguing with them pretty much daily. They did not follow rules then, and I’m positive they still don’t. I personally watched them compromise billions of dollars in technology which we can no longer use as well as put hundreds of service members lives at serious risk including my own. Nothing I read on the news regarding NSW surprises me after that bs experience.
View Quote
In the SEAL community culture, they are taught from almost Day 1 that normal US military rules are to be broken as SOP, because whoever came up with them is not as gifted as them and since they've been called in ("This came across our desk."), they are entitled to conduct business as they see fit.

I've gone blue in the face talking about instances that would land any other soldier or Marine I know into serious UCMJ territory, but for them seems to be a badge of honor.

This includes:

* loss of sensitive items inside and outside of multiple FOBs covering decades,
* fratricide,
* failure to deconflict the fires assets in a particular AOR,
* safety issues regarding airborne and dive operations (no 10, 5, 1 minute warnings on jumps, last second static line hook-up before exiting the bird with no warning to joint units on the jump when they "JM"d that portion of the exercise),
* failure to secure loose items on rucksacks and equipment on jumps or dives,
* atrocious CQM and CQB behavior (flagging dudes in the back of their heads or kit regularly with that muzzle up Sally retardation and lax discipline)
* Failure to inspect ropers on rotary wing rappels for knives on brake hand side of kit, followed by the predictable rope sever and SEAL falling to the earth from 90ft, massive tip/fib fracture and broken limbs, end of career
* Leaving sidearm (SiG P226) in a port-a-john on a FOB
* Taking ruggedized laptops on missions with the plans for the new US Embassy in Afghanistan, as well as HUMINT assets files in Pakistan and CENTCOM plus collection methods, laptop was acquired by Pakistani ISI and Taliban after those SEALs were KIA in Red Wings
* Getting their whole Platoon killed on QRF slot

It's like some organization with no formal dismounted, airborne, or patrolling skills watched Hollywood movies and used those as a basis for how to run operations.  Even in the skill sets where they should excel in the water, they do basic noob crap that increases the likelihood of safety issues.  Then they brag about how 25% of the guys to their left and right will no longer be alive after completion of BUD/S & SQTs.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn,
I heard some stories, but that's crazy. How do you write off a M240 and some NODs? Had I done that chances are I would have been relieved on the spot, and then sitting behind a laptop in S-3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the distinct pleasure of living with SEALs on Camp McCloskey in Afghanistan as an Army Officer for several months at the conclusion of operations in 2014, arguing with them pretty much daily. They did not follow rules then, and I'm positive they still don't. I personally watched them compromise billions of dollars in technology which we can no longer use as well as put hundreds of service members lives at serious risk including my own. Nothing I read on the news regarding NSW surprises me after that bs experience.

Damn,
All it takes is a culture where practical military discipline is shunned and egos rule the roost, fueled by copious beer consumption.

Every unit I was in required hands-on weapon accountability, with at least a guard if the rest of us were going to chow with minimal weapons on-person (leave crew-served at the tents/huts).

SEALs?  Just order some more.   Their budget is basically whatever they want.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We had the community box in my Platoons tent, Everyone donated to the cause, that's why most wives etc included extra stuff. Last deployment 20% was for me and the rest went to my platoon. Why wouldn't you share stuff with the guys you fight beside?

My only issue was my dudes bumming all my smokes, so when I bought a carton I just said make it two
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course - you can share anything you want, didn’t suggest otherwise.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I've been following this case from the start.  I first wondered if he was guilty of war crimes that were common in another NSW unit.

As the prosecution started monkeying around and more information came out, it became more apparent that some dirtbags in the unit were trying to wreck his career.

I'm one of the biggest critics of SEALs whenever we see their antics spill out onto the public light, but it's pretty clear that he called out non-performers for being weak and worthless, and they retaliated with bogus claims that can't be substantiated.

You know he was released on May 31st, once the prosecution was found to be engaged in several acts of misconduct, right?

Eddie Gallagher Released from Brig
View Quote
The prosecution playing dirty pool doesn't mean Gallagher is innocent.

A entire team doesn't turn against a guy because of hurt feelz or missing hair gel from a care package.

And a big fuck you to anyone who makes the 'unrestricted war' or 'take the leash off' type remarks. Taking sniper shots at random kids and old men you scope from a guard tower is not 'taking the leash off', it's straight up attempted murder. We hung guys guys in WW2 for murdering little girls. I'm perfectly OK with hanging a dude who tried to murder a little girl in Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

A entire team doesn't turn against a guy because of hurt feelz or missing hair gel from a care package.

And a big fuck you to anyone who makes the 'unrestricted war' or 'take the leash off' type remarks. Taking sniper shots at random kids and old men you scope from a guard tower is not 'taking the leash off', it's straight up attempted murder. We hung guys guys in WW2 for murdering little girls. I'm perfectly OK with hanging a dude who tried to murder a little girl in Iraq.
View Quote
He had reported the entire unit for being shit.

They had more than enough motive to turn on him.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:21:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
you'd be surprised what prima donnas will do over hurt feelings or "disrespect."  Taking something from a care package can easily be the straw that broke the camel's back.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're saying SEALs are weak bitches that have no integrity or esprit de corps or that Eddie is unfit to be a SEAL and/or leader or both
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So you're saying SEALs are weak bitches that have no integrity or esprit de corps or that Eddie is unfit to be a SEAL and/or leader or both
View Quote
He wasn't saying all SEALs are like that.  But it is within the realm of possibility that a critical mass of primadonnas within a small unit, even an elite unit, can turn enough of that unit against the leader to make the leader's life hell.

Especially if it's a bunch of Millennials whining and bitching on their social media channels.

Just because they can shoot good and make it thru the SEAL pipeline doesn't mean they cannot also be petty if offended, especially the Millennials.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
He wasn't saying all SEALs are like that.  But it is within the realm of possibility that a critical mass of primadonnas within a small unit, even an elite unit, can turn enough of that unit against the leader to make the leader's life hell.

Especially if it's a bunch of Millennials whining and bitching on their social media channels.

Just because they can shoot good and make it thru the SEAL pipeline doesn't mean they cannot also be petty if offended, especially the Millennials.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They’d have been washed out if they were like that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe 10 years ago...A lot has changed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have to understand that it wasn’t just taken. Guys trade shit all the time.

If I run out of something and you’re on mission and you’ve given me the go ahead to swap out since my shit is coming - It’s fair game. Officer or not you’re a big boy and you gave the go ahead.

Or guys will lose a bet...Forget they lost it because they go out drinking and start a van war over it.

I guarantee you it was taken legitimately.
According to my son who did two tours in Iraq, care packages sent from home became "community property" once they were opened.

Others mileage or experience may vary.....
the ones I got from my Dad were packed in popcorn

we ate the popcorn first, then the rest disappeared

I never bitched, some guys never got anything

the ones I got from my brother, I grabbed the good wine, shared the rest with everybody else
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you should read up on the changes to the SF pipeline, including SFAS.  Their rapid expansion has led SWC to pass people who normally would be washed out for PT, land nav, etc.  The math is simple:  You cannot rapidly expand those units without lowering previous standards.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
It wasn't the entire Team that turned on him. It was 3-4 non performers, that he called out, from the platoon that he was leading.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All it takes is a culture where practical military discipline is shunned and egos rule the roost, fueled by copious beer consumption.

Every unit I was in required hands-on weapon accountability, with at least a guard if the rest of us were going to chow with minimal weapons on-person (leave crew-served at the tents/huts).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn,

And this right here is the big reason behind this bullshit case with Eddie. Contrary to popular belief, there IS leadership trying to corral the out of control culture. They are branded as hard asses and "combat ineffective" and in an effort to ship him to another platoon or prevent Eddie's assignment to TRADET, they torpedo him. But, the shit winds of the shit storm blew outside the command. So, here we are.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The most puzzling thing about all of this the fact that I have no idea what cookie butter is.
View Quote
I hear its delicious.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 3:44:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It wasn't the entire Team that turned on him. It was 3-4 non performers, that he called out, from the platoon that he was leading.
View Quote
And who says they were nonperformers? They guy accused of shooting random little girls. The OIC was on the stand and testified already, he never called them nonperformers.

correction, asst OIC.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And who says they were nonperformers? They guy accused of shooting random little girls. The OIC was on the stand and testified already, he never called them nonperformers.

correction, asst OIC.
View Quote
So because the OIC didn’t, means they weren’t underperforming?

I have yet to see a real accusation that he killed kids.

Your knowledge of team etiquette is fascinating!

Tell me more!
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Tell me more!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

correction, asst OIC.

Tell me more!

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In the SEAL community culture, they are taught from almost Day 1 that normal US military rules are to be broken as SOP, because whoever came up with them is not as gifted as them and since they've been called in ("This came across our desk."), they are entitled to conduct business as they see fit.

I've gone blue in the face talking about instances that would land any other soldier or Marine I know into serious UCMJ territory, but for them seems to be a badge of honor.

This includes:

* fratricide,
* safety issues regarding airborne and dive operations (no 10, 5, 1 minute warnings on jumps, last second static line hook-up before exiting the bird with no warning to joint units on the jump when they "JM"d that portion of the exercise),
* atrocious CQM and CQB behavior (flagging dudes in the back of their heads or kit regularly with that muzzle up Sally retardation and lax discipline)
* Failure to inspect ropers on rotary wing rappels for knives on brake hand side of kit, followed by the predictable rope sever and SEAL falling to the earth from 90ft, massive tip/fib fracture and broken limbs, end of career
* Leavin sidearm (SiG P226) in a port-a-john on a FOB
* Taking ruggedized laptops on missions with the plans for the new US Embassy in Afghanistan, as well as HUMINT assets files in Pakistan and CENTCOM plus collection methods, laptop was acquired by Pakistani ISI and Taliban after those SEALs were KIA in Red Wings

It's like some organization with no formal dismounted, airborne, or patrolling skills watched Hollywood movies and used those as a basis for how to run operations.  Even in the skill sets where they should excel in the water, they do basic noob crap that increases the likelihood of safety issues.  Then they brag about how 25% of the guys to their left and right will no longer be alive after completion of BUD/S & SQTs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had the distinct pleasure of living with SEALs on Camp McCloskey in Afghanistan as an Army Officer for several months at the conclusion of operations in 2014, arguing with them pretty much daily. They did not follow rules then, and I’m positive they still don’t. I personally watched them compromise billions of dollars in technology which we can no longer use as well as put hundreds of service members lives at serious risk including my own. Nothing I read on the news regarding NSW surprises me after that bs experience.

This includes:

* fratricide,

@LRRPF52

My experience involves the intentional loss of several fully outfitted SOF variant RG-31s to ANSOF. They signed them over to their partnered forces it’s the single worst event I’ve ever experienced in my military career. We assume they were sold to ISI, complete with all CIED and radio packages.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Damn,
View Quote
A 240? NODS? Lol... while you were in Kandahar with the 82nd I was dealing with the biggest FLIPL in USSOCOM history, right down the road. It was worse than I can possibly describe, and it was all perpetuated by NSW.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not relevant, don't know, don't care.

My point is that he's told his wife how blameless he is in all of it, how his unit went from zeroes to heroes solely because of his fantastic leadership, and how it's all a smokeshow just because some guy didn't like him eating some of the guy's food.

Bullshit.

Up to now, I've figured, ok, he went overboard with some guy who had just been shooting at him, this is war.

After reading this Breitbart article, it's obvious that there is something much worse going on.

Where have we seen this pattern before?  Oh, right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

Everyone who flew with him:  "He's a psycho showoff who's going to get people killed!"

Commanders whom he sucked up to: "No, he's just a Real He-Man Pilot and you're all a bunch of pussies."

Bud Holland: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
View Quote
OK, I'm asking, neither defending or attacking this seal.  The "psycho showoff" part of this seal's personality that you mention would seem that it should have resulted in some recorded incidents of fellow soldiers being killed or injured due to radical decision making on his part.  With 8 deployments one would think there would be some smoke with this fire.  Are there reports or incidents of soldiers around or under him being injured/killed in a reckless manner due to his leadership or participation?  That kind of thing is usually well recorded.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Tell me more!
View Quote
Since I don't see proof of military service next to your name, I'll give you the same advice I give all the new idiot privates who run their mouths about shit they don't understand; Shut up, sit down and listen.

All the shit you hear about non performers and disgruntled new guys in the news comes from one source: Gallagher and his family and lawyers. Everything you hear about Gallagher stabbing a prisoner in the neck and shooting at unarmed old men and girls comes from multiple sources. All the shit about Gallagher threatening teammates, which is the reason he was put in pretrial confinement and why he was denied access to electronic devices when Trump ordered him released, comes from multiple witnesses and verified text and social media communications. There are Seal and former Seal NCOs with 7-10 years time in service testifying against him. That's not a couple butthurt new guys. That's junior leaders in the teams seeing bad shit happen and testifying about it.

What's more likely, that multiple 'disgruntled' Seals conducted a conspiracy so well planned and executed that the entire Navy fell for it, or one guy went out of control, a little at a time, and his leadership covered for him until it got too big and serious and NCIS got involved?

Yeah, the Navy prosecutor played dirty pool with the email tracker. That doesn't mean that stabby eddie is innocent.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

OK, I'm asking, neither defending or attacking this seal.  The "psycho showoff" part of this seal's personality that you mention would seem that it should have resulted in some recorded incidents of fellow soldiers being killed or injured due to radical decision making on his part.  With 8 deployments one would think there would be some smoke with this fire.  Are there reports or incidents of soldiers around or under him being injured/killed in a reckless manner due to his leadership or participation?  That kind of thing is usually well recorded.
View Quote
This kind of shit always starts small, with minor incidents that senior leadership ignore or cover up because it's a 'good guy doing good work'. Then it starts to worse and worse until you have a dude going to a guard tower to shoot random Iraqis.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Since I don't see proof of military service next to your name, I'll give you the same advice I give all the new idiot privates who run their mouths about shit they don't understand; Shut up, sit down and listen.

All the shit you hear about non performers and disgruntled new guys in the news comes from one source: Gallagher and his family and lawyers. Everything you hear about Gallagher stabbing a prisoner in the neck and shooting at unarmed old men and girls comes from multiple sources. All the shit about Gallagher threatening teammates, which is the reason he was put in pretrial confinement and why he was denied access to electronic devices when Trump ordered him released, comes from multiple witnesses and verified text and social media communications. There are Seal and former Seal NCOs with 7-10 years time in service testifying against him. That's not a couple butthurt new guys. That's junior leaders in the teams seeing bad shit happen and testifying about it.

What's more likely, that multiple 'disgruntled' Seals conducted a conspiracy so well planned and executed that the entire Navy fell for it, or one guy went out of control, a little at a time, and his leadership covered for him until it got too big and serious and NCIS got involved?

Yeah, the Navy prosecutor played dirty pool with the email tracker. That doesn't mean that stabby eddie is innocent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more!

Just as a minor point here -- the email thing was exactly nothing.  It's nothing more than idiots putting a picture in an email and other idiots pretending to be outraged and calling it malware and spying on them and all kinds of other bullshit when it wasn't.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:48:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Military/LEO instructor. Contractor.

See where it says instructor? Purposefully don’t have a branch up there.

Deal with this on the daily, see this on the daily from green teams.

Anything else?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Anything else?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything else?
What the fuck does that dumbfuck word salad even mean.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:57:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What the fuck does that dumbfuck word salad even mean.
View Quote
It means I’m a vegan.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Anything else?
View Quote
Any service downrange with SOCOM? Didn't think so, otherwise you would have led with that. Guys like you always do.

Pardon for not caring if you teach some MPs how to not shoot themselves in the foot on occasion. John Burns was more SOCOM than you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Any service downrange with SOCOM? Didn't think so, otherwise you would have led with that. Guys like you always do.

Pardon for not caring if you teach some MPs how to not shoot themselves in the foot on occasion. John Burns was more SOCOM than you.
View Quote
Lol.

‘Guys like you always do’.

Wow.

Okay.

You win, bro.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Anything else?
View Quote
What experience do you have instructing "green teams"?

Which "green teams"?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
nvm
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:07:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me more!

What about the helmet cam that the prosecution has withheld?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:18:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What about the helmet cam that the prosecution has withheld?
View Quote
What about it?

Nobody here has seen it. For all we know, the helmet cam shows nothing of importance to the trial but some other classified info that the gov doesn't want disclosed. Or it shows that Stabby Eddie didn't do anything wrong. As much as I despise just about all Mil lawyers and 'investigators' if there was video evidence of his innocence, they wouldn't cover it up. They'd have used it to quash this whole thing before it hit the news.

All we know about the case comes from gov documents, pre trial records (such as texts from him threatening witnesses), testimony that just started (where a LT stated under oath Gallagher threatened him), and a shitload of news articles based on Stabby Eddies brother and wife running their mouth. And since neither of them were there either, every single pro Gallagher piece of info released so far has come from Gallagher.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#42]
https://www.instagram.com/tv/By6s0vBArBx

Interesting.  At the end of the video, Gallagher’s attorney makes note that one of his accusers, Chief Miller was one of the Lake Arthur “Reserve” officers
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:53:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:29:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
@LRRPF52

My experience involves the intentional loss of several fully outfitted SOF variant RG-31s to ANSOF. They signed them over to their partnered forces it’s the single worst event I’ve ever experienced in my military career. We assume they were sold to ISI, complete with all CIED and radio packages.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This includes:

* fratricide,

@LRRPF52

There was a huge budget and effort that went into the CIED technology.  I think even DARPA was involved IIRC.  If Pakistani ISI got a hold of that, then Chinese are likely to have as well.  There is a lot of dual military-use tech in there.

Doesn't surprise me though.  There are elements within the IC that started labeling their classified products with NOSEAL/NOFORN in CENTCOM due to egregious compromises of sources and methods from NSW.  They have a habit of not only getting friendly assets killed, but coalition forces and their own elements as well.

Back to this case.  It's interesting that at least one of the accusers is already out of the Navy and wasn't high enough rank for retirement (it's very common in the SEAL community for dudes to get out after 1-2 enlistments though).  Gallagher hasn't been in confinement for that long.  Did this accuser ETS because of being a non-performer, worried about being charged with war crimes of his own, or normal reasons SEALs get out (#1 being OPTEMPO on the Teams being too hard for most people, families, etc.)?

I also find it interesting from a legal perspective how generalized and non-specific their accusations are.

Every piece of UCMJ I've seen cites a date time group for starters, not just a month or a day, and also specifies locations.  If a weapon system was involved, that weapon system will be called out by type.  Instead, we see a very generalized description of events.

A lot of the stuff I've seen him accused of is common to SEALs, though not war crimes.  A lot of the witnesses have pleaded the 5th.  Several of them were coerced into making statements supportive of the prosecution.

I'm also seeing a lot of window dressing type allegations that aren't crimes, instead of focusing on the meat of actual war crimes.  They're saying things like, "He wasn't really that good of a sniper."  "He called a dead prisoner a dirt bag."

There are a lot of, "I believe he shot at someone but didn't see it personally."

Dille also said that he believed Gallagher had fired at Iraqi civilians from a sniper's position several times, including an instance on Father's Day 2017 when an old man was shot by the Tigris River.

Dille was also a sniper and was near Gallagher during the shootings but didn't see him pull the trigger.
Navy Times:  Gallagher called dead ISIS fighter a dirtbag

Maybe these guys were on an unchecked rampage looking for any targets of opportunity in Mosul, which was a major offensive mainly driven by the Iraqis.  Thousands died in Mosul with the offensive against ISIS.  Maybe Chief Gallagher really did do the things they accuse him of.  Maybe most of them crossed the line a little bit when the gloves came off in the Mosul offensive.

So far, we've seen nothing concrete as to the allegations, and the main claims of war crimes seem trumped up in retrospect, which makes the little junior HS girl chat ring story sound more plausible to me knowing what I know about how SEALs do business.

I'll bet there is a lot more that went on during these deployments and all of these guys don't want anymore spotlight.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not relevant, don't know, don't care.

My point is that he's told his wife how blameless he is in all of it, how his unit went from zeroes to heroes solely because of his fantastic leadership, and how it's all a smokeshow just because some guy didn't like him eating some of the guy's food.

Bullshit.

Up to now, I've figured, ok, he went overboard with some guy who had just been shooting at him, this is war.

After reading this Breitbart article, it's obvious that there is something much worse going on.

Where have we seen this pattern before?  Oh, right:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Fairchild_Air_Force_Base_B-52_crash

Everyone who flew with him:  "He's a psycho showoff who's going to get people killed!"

Commanders whom he sucked up to: "No, he's just a Real He-Man Pilot and you're all a bunch of pussies."

Bud Holland: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
Being reckless in their tactics is actually very common and endemic to SEALs in my experience:

*  Lack of noise, light, litter discipline
*  Lack of basic Skill Level 1 task mastery for movement
* Firing hand off weapon when signaling
* Laziness
* Thinking they're on a movie set
* Lack of muzzle discipline
* Trudging through the woods and urban environments as if they own the place
* Looking to make contact even on Recon missions
* Lack of fire discipline with belt-feds
* Not employing the appropriate amount of personnel and weapons systems for specific mission sets (too little usually or too few people with the wrong weapons like M60E3s on 6-man Point TGT Recce)

This is why I find it odd that more junior SEALs are window-dressing their claims against a Chief (E-7) doing what is normal on Teams.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
A key witness in the case says he asphyxiated the ISIS terrorist by occluding his breathing tube, not Gallagher, who did stab him.

A medic testifying in the trial of Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher – who is accused of killing an injured ISIS prisoner of war in Iraq – shocked trial observers when he testified Thursday that he was responsible for the Islamic militant's death, not Gallagher.

SEAL Team Seven Medic Corey Scott, during cross-examination in the courtroom at Naval Base San Diego, revealed he killed the fighter by asphyxiation after holding his thumb over a breathing tube that had been inserted into the militant's mouth. He also testified that Gallagher stabbed the fighter, but did not kill him.

“Did Chief Gallagher kill this terrorist?” Gallagher's attorney Timothy Parlatore then asked Scott, according to Fox News' Jonathan Hunt.

"No," he replied.

Gallagher, 40, previously pleaded not guilty to premeditated murder and aggravated assault charges stemming from the alleged killing and other alleged instances of firing sniper rounds at civilians in Iraq in 2017.
View Quote
Thousands died in the October 2016 to March 2017 Battle of Mosul:

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
SNIP  There are elements within the IC that started labeling their classified products with NOSEAL/NOFORN in CENTCOM due to egregious compromises of sources and methods from NSW.
SNIP
View Quote
I have never seen that marking.  Never heard about it either, which I find kind of odd...

ETA: And if that marking came through my hands when I worked at the SOTF level, I would have ignored the unauthorized marking and distro'd as needed.  They can mark it ORCON if they want to limit it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Millennial SEALs? Holy shit we are fucked.
View Quote
"...he put us in danger..."

BWAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAH, ah fuck I'm dying here
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Millennial SEALs? Holy shit we are fucked.

Enlighten us
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top