Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/5/2022 2:22:38 PM EDT
Have a friend who likes getting expensive cars. He had an BMW i8 when they first came out. We picked it up at the dealer with like 2 miles on it. With less than 6000 miles on it, the right camera stopped working, the radio had issues and something else I forget.

He recently got an AMG GT53 and it too has a ton of issues. the buttons on the center console pushed thru and had to be fished out. Bunch of engine issues causing limp home mode etc...

I know some of the german cars are extremely over engineered, but is it common in cars over $100k to need repairs and spend weeks at the dealer even when new? Personally there is no way I would spend that on a car that needed to be in the dealership when it is so new. Anyone know any similar instances?

Figured I'd ask here since GD has so many millionaires...
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Have a friend who likes getting expensive cars. He had an BMW i8 when they first came out. We picked it up at the dealer with like 2 miles on it. With less than 6000 miles on it, the right camera stopped working, the radio had issues and something else I forget.

He recently got an AMG GT53 and it too has a ton of issues. the buttons on the center console pushed thru and had to be fished out. Bunch of engine issues causing limp home mode etc...

I know some of the german cars are extremely over engineered, but is it common in cars over $100k to need repairs and spend weeks at the dealer even when new? Personally there is no way I would spend that on a car that needed to be in the dealership when it is so new. Anyone know any similar instances?
View Quote

Absolutely common. High end BMWs, Audi and Mercs are lease only cars. All the new electronics and whatnot on every make and model add reliability issues, but at least they are cheaper to fix than anything the Germans put out
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Everybody knows Jeep Wrangler is best.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I was considering an AMG Mercedes for a little while. Mainly because they lose value so fast you can get a few years old one for a small fraction of the price of a new one.

Everyone I looked at the car fax had it in the dealer every month like clockwork. I passed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
You're not paying for reliability, you're paying for the brand and being able to show off to everyone else that you're rich enough to afford the maintenance costs.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#5]
No idea...
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
It's always seemed like the really high end luxury cars tend to have some gremlins inside them.  I think its because they usually are the first models to get the latest and greatest tech... and that sort of thing is rarely flawless out of the gate.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
He should just get a 911 and be done.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was considering an AMG Mercedes for a little while. Mainly because they lose value so fast you can get a few years old one for a small fraction of the price of a new one.

Everyone I looked at the car fax had it in the dealer every month like clockwork. I passed.
View Quote

You found out why they depreciate so quickly
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:34:08 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not expensive it's Germans. Lexus is the most reliable and costs way more than a Kia.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been in $200,000 dollar cars and I been in in $20,000 cars. They are all masses produced they are all made from a jillion little parts all made separately then assembled. Fit and finish is a joke 99% of that is how this plastic overlays this plastic part. Luxury is some fancy seeming material that does nothing any other material might do. It's all just fluff. "Look we rearranged the plastic" meh.

And new cars are sooooo reliable. Until you factor that there 1,000 times for more to go wrong and they are only 100 or so times more reliable than older cars. So you have all this shit that's almost pointless anyway waiting to break which usually leaves you in some limp mode or unable to use the vehicle.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Modern cars are VERY complicated. When you get into the premium and luxury segments they are VERY VERY VERY complicated. Long gone are the days of European cars being simple overbuilt high reliability quality vehicles. They have levels of system integration that make Elon Musk and the DoD faint.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been in $200,000 dollar cars and I been in in $20,000 cars. They are all masses produced they are all made from a jillion little parts all made separately then assembled. Fit and finish is a joke 99% of that is how this plastic overlays this plastic part. Luxury is some fancy seeming material that does nothing any other material might do. It's all just fluff. "Look we rearranged the plastic" meh.

View Quote

Go take apart a Chevy Cruz, then go take apart a 911 Turbo and tell me if you still believe the above.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And new cars are sooooo reliable. Until you factor that there 1,000 times for more to go wrong and they are only 100 or so times more reliable than older cars. So you have all this shit that's almost pointless anyway waiting to break which usually leaves you in some limp mode or unable to use the vehicle.

View Quote

You probably think PSA and KAC are the same too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had Lexus, AUDI and currently i have a Mercedes E350AMG.  

I'll be going back to Lexus shortly here once i sell the AMG. Let me explain how complex my Mercedes is; it cost me $450 to change a faulty turn lamp on my mirror housing. Once the lamp went; some genius in Germany decided to wire the entire system together.  SO, as INCREDIBLE as it sounds, once the mirror housing bulb went out; the car would go to limp mode and you'd be lucky to get it up to speed on the highway.   THATS how stupid German engineering is.  

Oh, and you cant just replace the bulb. You have to replace the mirror housing assembly; its $450.

Before that, I had a Lexus IS350 that was basically bulletproof; I would change the oil twice a year and that was it. ZERO. NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG WITH IT. The Lexus dealer would get it done in 45 minutes, as i sat in a massive, beautiful Lexus dealer, sipping on premium coffee and free bagels.  I cant wait to go back to Lexus.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
All of the money goes into the fit/finish and design work & overall aesthetics and not enough goes into the engineering and manufacturing QA/QC for the mechanical stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have only known one person who owned a $100K+ vehicle, and they drove it so infrequently that the only things it really needed were the expensive maintenance cycle items.

I routinely hear from people I know who own German cars (mostly BMWs) that their reliability is all about how meticulous you are with the maintenance. Maintain them regularly and thoroughly and they'll last forever... or at least last as long as any non-German vehicle will. Maintain them like a college girl and they will break down every month.

Both of my business partners own German SUVs (one Mercedes one BMW). They bought them new, they've owned them for going on three to five years now, and both have maintained them well from what I can tell. Only problem I've heard about between the two has been the Mercedes needing TPMS sensors replaced frequently.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'll be going back to Lexus shortly here once i sell the AMG. Let me explain how complex my Mercedes is; it cost me $450 to change a faulty turn lamp on my mirror housing. Once the lamp went; some genius in Germany decided to wire the entire system together.  SO, as INCREDIBLE as it sounds, once the mirror housing bulb went out; the car would go to limp mode and you'd be lucky to get it up to speed on the highway.   THATS how stupid German engineering is.  

Oh, and you cant just replace the bulb. You have to replace the mirror housing assembly; its $450.
View Quote
wat

Holy fuck is that for real? My buddy said he nearly died while towing something with his diesel Ford F250 years ago when it went into limp mode after the diesel exhaust fluid ran out on a crazy stretch of road in the mountains. Who the fuck designs that shit into stuff on purpose?
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
German cars are junk.  The vast majority of my clients have money, and won't drive anything else.  They like the cars, they like the "status" and just accept every time it rolls into my stall, it's going to be $6k.

I'd starve if I worked on Toyota or Honda for a living.

PS, I've owned a bunch of Audis and a couple MB's and BMW's.
If I didn't wrench them for living, have access to parts @ cost, and all the tools to DIY, I wouldn't own them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
wat

Holy fuck is that for real? My buddy said he nearly died while towing something with his diesel Ford F250 years ago when it went into limp mode after the diesel exhaust fluid ran out on a crazy stretch of road in the mountains. Who the fuck designs that shit into stuff on purpose?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wat

At least the f250 gives you multiple warnings and ample time to add fluid.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Euro cars are plagued with electrical issue. My parents bought a new Benz S500 years ago and nothing but electrical issue. Once the warranty went out it was over $2k every time it went it for services. They went back to good old Toyota. Resale sucks too. $100k car sold for $20k
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#22]
IQ, work ethic and supply lines are all failing. If you don’t have a great mechanic on your payroll and warehouse full of parts then get your Hilux ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
German cars are junk.  The vast majority of clients have money, and won't drive anything else.  They like the cars, they like the "status" and just accept every time it rolls into my stall, it's going to be $6k.

If I didn't wrench them for living, have access to parts @ cost, and all the tools to DIY, I wouldn't own them.

https://i.imgur.com/tuokinp.jpeg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498109/20140504_213654_jpg-2267929.JPG

View Quote

Let me guess. Plastic timing chain tensioner went out.  

Ah yes -- I too owned an AUDI.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
wat

View Quote

wat is right.

There's no such thing as an E350 AMG, that's not a car.

Turn signal went out and the car's in limp mode? That's not a thing either.

There are very few "bulbs" these days, the 222 S Class was the first all-LED car we had. Unless you want to swing by Radio Shack and fire up your soldering iron, you aren't replacing single LEDs, you replace the assembly.

Yes, fancy cars break more, that's why they're "fancy"

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

wat is right.

There's no such thing as an E350 AMG, that's not a car.

Turn signal went out and the car's in limp mode? That's not a thing either.

There are very few "bulbs" these days, the 222 S Class was the first all-LED car we had. Unless you want to swing by Radio Shack and fire up your soldering iron, you aren't replacing single LEDs, you replace the assembly.

Yes, fancy cars break more, that's why they're "fancy"

View Quote

You dont know what your talking about newb. And i dont have the time  to school you.  

But yes, i do own an E350 with AMG package and the mirror housing to limp mode is a well known issue.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:08:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You dont know what your talking about newb.

View Quote

I've been at Mercedes since 2006, I've been around a few cars.

AMG Package = rimz and floor mats. Nice AMG bro. If there isn't a plaque on the engine cover, it isn't an AMG. The 43/53 cars should never have received those badges.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
German cars are junk.  The vast majority of clients have money, and won't drive anything else.  They like the cars, they like the "status" and just accept every time it rolls into my stall, it's going to be $6k.

View Quote

You would make bank at Honda or Acura. It’s a lot of maintenance work, tires, brakes and suspension work. I rarely replace engines or transmissions. You’d make $100-150k at an Acura or Honda dealer as an A tech. You make it up by the volume of work you do.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Go take apart a Chevy Cruz, then go take apart a 911 Turbo and tell me if you still believe the above.
View Quote
I didn't say there wasn't an improvement in performance nor am I saying all cars are the same. But the same "luxury" interior in most "luxury" cars is simpler little plushy materials and differently designed plastics. It doesn't take an expensive car to have a nice to be in interior or ride good or do 99% of what people want to do. But you can't show off if your car, hat, shoes, gun accessories, electronics don't have that little label to everyone knows how much car you have.

"Luxury" cars stopped existing 10 years ago when heated seats and advanced radios became standard or optional in most everything.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

AMG Package = rimz and floor mats. Nice AMG bro.
View Quote

Wow. You're the type we really dont like here.

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have found that the exact opposite of what you posted to be true.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Let me guess. Plastic timing chain tensioner went out.  

Ah yes -- I too owned an AUDI.  
View Quote

On the A4, chain stretch to tensioner failure, bent all the valves.  My daily.

On the S4, yes, one of the chain guides broke, but luckily still ran.  Replaced all the guides and tensioners.  I got sick of 11mpg..partly my fault though...Full exhaust, it sounded nice =) Sold
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:15:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have only known one person who owned a $100K+ vehicle, and they drove it so infrequently that the only things it really needed were the expensive maintenance cycle items.

I routinely hear from people I know who own German cars (mostly BMWs) that their reliability is all about how meticulous you are with the maintenance. Maintain them regularly and thoroughly and they'll last forever... or at least last as long as any non-German vehicle will. Maintain them like a college girl and they will break down every month.

Both of my business partners own German SUVs (one Mercedes one BMW). They bought them new, they've owned them for going on three to five years now, and both have maintained them well from what I can tell. Only problem I've heard about between the two has been the Mercedes needing TPMS sensors replaced frequently.
View Quote

No amount of maintenance on a Mercedes stops a GL550 tail light from going out.

With regular dealer maintenance you can still get a $2,700 oil leak at 70,000 miles.

You can also have a fuel pump go out 6 times in under 30,000 miles. It won’t strand you in the Publix parking lot though, you can push and rock the $92,000 car back and forth and get it to eventually start.

Now you know why I drive and Expedition and a F-150. At least I know the cam phasers suck going into the deal. Owning a Mercedes is like flipping a chance card in monopoly every 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#33]

People who don't accept BS as the truth? An E350 is a nice car, but it isn't an AMG. A bro'd out Ram isn't a TRX, an F150 with orange lights glued to the grill isn't a Raptor, and a Wrangler Sport with Fuel wheels and Nokian tires isn't a Rubicon.

I see C300s with caliper covers and AMG badges weekly, it isn't a good look.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Conspicuous consumption
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

With regular dealer maintenance you can still get a $2,700 oil leak at 70,000 miles.

You can also have a fuel pump go out 6 times in under 30,000 miles. It won’t strand you in the Publix parking lot though, you can push and rock the $92,000 car back and forth and get it to eventually start.

Now you know why I drive and Expedition and a F-150. At least I know the cam phasers suck going into the deal. Owning a Mercedes is like flipping a chance card in monopoly every 3 months.
View Quote

You speak the truth. Doesn't matter how many alignments you get, those 21" tires aren't making it past 10K either.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

AMG Package = rimz and floor mats. Nice AMG bro. If there isn't a plaque on the engine cover, it isn't an AMG. The 43/53 cars should never have received those badges.
View Quote

Sometimes the bumpers are different as well. But you are correct have an AMG/sport package has nothing to do with performance. A lot of the AMGs ( hand built motor) have some issues and I would have a hard time owning one without a warranty.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just the light?  I usually have to replace the rear SAM, too.  lol.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#40]

If the good lord blessed you with an E350 be thankful you have an E350, don’t go around telling people you have an AMG.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Seems that way. I'll never understand why anyone would buy a vehicle that requires a tow to the dealership for a tire change.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#42]
No idea. I have a $25,000 Subaru, and the only problem in three years has been the radio that needed a software update.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#43]
The sheer amount of common shit that breaks on my mk3 vw is insane, and it’s stuff that doesn’t ever fail on other non German makes.

Maintenance on an expensive German car can make you go broke
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Seems that way. I'll never understand why anyone would buy a vehicle that requires a tow to the dealership for a tire change.
View Quote

Dad calls us, he bought his daughter a CLA for her 16th birthday. It's in the garage with a flat, but there's no spare in the trunk??

He was floored he would need to have the car towed in, and livid when we gave him the price for a new MOE tire

Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:29:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Before that, I had a Lexus IS350 that was basically bulletproof; I would change the oil twice a year and that was it. ZERO. NOTHING EVER WENT WRONG WITH IT. The Lexus dealer would get it done in 45 minutes, as i sat in a massive, beautiful Lexus dealer, sipping on premium coffee and free bagels.  I cant wait to go back to Lexus.
View Quote
A German engineer is sho c ked somebody used the turn signal
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Dad calls us, he bought his daughter a CLA for her 16th birthday. It's in the garage with a flat, but there's no spare in the trunk??

He was floored he would need to have the car towed in, and livid when we gave him the price for a new MOE tire

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most new cars don’t come with a spare. Acura made in an accessory. They put inflators in the trunk with fix a flat from the factory.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
German cars are junk.  The vast majority of my clients have money, and won't drive anything else.  They like the cars, they like the "status" and just accept every time it rolls into my stall, it's going to be $6k.

View Quote

Oh look, you're also changing a lightbulb.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Short answer... expensive Euro cars are junk and domestics are only marginally better Don't buy a new Ram if you expect it to not be full of weird electrical gremlins. Great drivetrain at least.

I'm at the point where if it's not a Toyota, Honda, or Subaru product I won't own it. Every vehicle I've owned from one of those 3 was trouble free and just required regular maintenance. I've owned two domestic trucks; a Chevrolet 1500 and a Ram 2500. Both had regular trips to the shop. The Ram was brand new and they could not get the HVAC system right and it was a single side system in a basic Big Horn package. The Chevrolet was 5 years old with 60k on it and needed new exhaust manifolds, cam, and lifters and that was out of pocket.

I didn't need a 2500 and traded it on a 2021 Tundra. So far I've owned the Tundra almost as long as the Ram and it has never been to the dealer. Gets shit for mileage, but it beats being without my truck 4 times in a year for a week or two at a time. Only way I'll go back to a domestic is if I need a 3500 and then it's just a fact of life having to deal with it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Kinda fuckin scarin me here boys. I'm planning on picking up a GLC C63 tomorrow.....

And as said above, while the 43 class isnt an AMG....That biturbo'd V6 is still one snappy little engine that'll get you a ticket ricky tik quick.
Link Posted: 2/5/2022 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Kinda fuckin scarin me here boys. I'm planning on picking up a GLC C63 tomorrow.....

And as said above, while the 43 class isnt an AMG....That biturbo'd V6 is still one snappy little engine that'll get you a ticket ricky tik quick.
View Quote

GLCs are good, been out a while and nothing too crazy. The 63 is great, really the perfect daily.

Before the 43 thing happened, they announced it as an "AMG Sport" line, like M Sport and Audi S. Hopped up (but mass-produced) engines, slightly bigger brakes, slightly more aggressive body trim, sporty interior, and ABSOLUTELY NO AMG BADGE. They made that very very clear.

Cars show up, AMG AMG AMG everywhere. Guess the marketing department made that decision.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top