Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Because they don't have a direct control link.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So frisbees and paper planes don't require registration because there is no direct control link to a person but a model rocket does require registration because.....?

I don't see how, by that explanation, the exemption for frisbees and paper airplanes would not also exempt model rockets.

Is my sarcasm meter off?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
They will announce that only 100 people signed up and cancel it after a few years..
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
So, it can weigh less than 1 lb, and require government permission and licensing/registration.

That isn't stupid, nor a waste of time, money, and resources....

No Sir.

That just put the guy with the RC kiosk at the mall out of business.

I'm sure he feels safer.

In fact I can't think of a single thing the government should prioritize over this silliness...
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is interesting to read the reaction on some of the r/c boards.  It's a whole lot of "Shall not comply!"  And "Obama did this!".

Maybe we are starting to get through to the masses.  I'm not saying it would be right, but it would be interesting to see a 10 year old getting arrested for flying a toy in the park.  
View Quote

What do you think the percentage of people that have these toys is?

You have way more confidence in your fellow citizens than I do-the majority wont give a shit,just like they don't give a shit about all the other laws,rules,regulations,etc that keep piling up on us.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:58:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's going to be enforced one of two ways. When you screw up and hurt someone or property or when someone else turns you in. Don't think it's not going to happen.

This thread is so full of butthurt, its hilarious. lmao
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So..........how is this going to be enforced?  Is some out of shape LEO/Fed gonna chase my quad rotor as it hovers over trees back to my house?

It's going to be enforced one of two ways. When you screw up and hurt someone or property or when someone else turns you in. Don't think it's not going to happen.

This thread is so full of butthurt, its hilarious. lmao

It's funny but it's not.  Rc is an awesome hobby.  Gov't don't belong anywhere around it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't invite da man into your life.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hope they enforce it with utter, bloody-minded ruthlessness.

Maybe some videos of a bunch of SWAT dickheads sledging down doors to drag little Timmy off in shackles for daring to fly a toy in the King's Sky will wake up the millions of "moderate" dipshits.
View Quote

Nope.

They will hammer a few people now and again,and more than half the people here will spout off the "he should have obeyed the law" bullshit.And the vast majority wont give a shit.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh and by the way fuck the AMA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:01:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, right.

How big does the N number on my drone have to be?  You know, so the passing 747 crew can read it.  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They will announce that only 100 people signed up and cancel it after a few years..
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So how long then until we can expect them to require a license to fly? Private Pilot- Model Airplane single engine land
View Quote

I wonder if I can log multi time for flying my kid's quadcopter?  

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Why's that?

My understanding is that the AMA tried to make it better, and in fact they are still trying.  But the FAA is doing whatever they want without listening to the AMA.

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week.  AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week.  However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.  
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

We have 185,000 members and only a few years of practice managing government relationships.  This isn't the NRA.  Although hopefully they will take lessons from the NRA.

-J
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Time to fire up the vinyl cutter,,,,,
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Please provide info on the conference call.

It's one registration number per owner/operator by the way I read it.

That Q&A stating "update your registration information", reads to me as 'remove your registration as an owner/operator as a whole', and then remove your registration info from the aircraft you are selling.

Directly from the code:

Each small unmanned aircraft intended to be used other than as a model aircraft and owned by individuals or other persons, including corporations, will be issued a Certificate of Aircraft Registration with a unique registration number.
§ 48.110(a)

But it goes on to say, and pay attention to the color highlighted text below and above:

A Certificate of Aircraft Registration and registration number issued to an individual intending to use small unmanned aircraft exclusively as model aircraft, constitutes registration for those small unmanned aircraft owned by that individual that are intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft.
§ 48.115(a)

So to expand on the two above quotes, let's explore "other than model aircraft" and also "exclusively as model aircraft"

Here's the 'other than model aircraft' wording:

Required information from persons registering small unmanned aircraft intended to be used as other than model
aircraft.
• Applicant name or name of authorized representative.
• Applicant physical address (and mailing address if different than physical address).
• Applicant e-mail address or email address of authorized representative.
Aircraft manufacturer and model name, and serial number, if available.
• Other information as required by the Administrator.

Now the 'exclusively as model aircraft'

Required information from individuals registering small unmanned aircraft intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft.
• Applicant name.
• Applicant physical address (and mailing address if different than physical address).
• Applicant e-mail address.
§ 48.100

I still don't see a clear definition of "other than" or "exclusively as", but to me it looks as if those operating as a 'hobbyist' would be exempt from registering each airframe, as they're operating 'exclusively as model aircraft'.  I could be wrong, though.

The text DOES go on to read as follows, so perhaps section 333-336 explains the definition of "other than".  I need to get some sleep, so I haven't brought that portion up to try and determine the definitions yet.  Either way, this whole thing is complete BS and sucks dick.

All other small unmanned aircraft intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft (i.e., for hobby and recreational purposes in accordance with the requirements of section 336 of Public Law 112-95) – newly purchased or never before used - must be registered prior to the first operation outdoors. Thus, any small unmanned aircraft purchased, received as a gift, or otherwise acquired on or after December 21, 2015, and intended to be used exclusively as a model aircraft must be registered prior to operation.
Currently, small unmanned aircraft operated as other than model aircraft (i.e., for operations for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes or as a public aircraft) must continue to complete the part 47 registration process in accordance with the conditions and limitations of exemptions issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup.  

The registration is per aircraft.  Jokes on them, the FAA is gonna need a bigger database when I register.

its not per aircraft, its per pilot, so you'd have the same N number on all of your planes.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Q. What happens if I sell my drone?

A. You should log on to the registration website and update your registration information. We also strongly encourage you to remove your registration number from the drone before the transfer of ownership.

One N number, but they are tracking airframes.  They confirmed on the conference call.  

Please provide info on the conference call.

It's one registration number per owner/operator by the way I read it.

That Q&A stating "update your registration information", reads to me as 'remove your registration as an owner/operator as a whole', and then remove your registration info from the aircraft you are selling.

Directly from the code:

Each small unmanned aircraft intended to be used other than as a model aircraft and owned by individuals or other persons, including corporations, will be issued a Certificate of Aircraft Registration with a unique registration number.
§ 48.110(a)

But it goes on to say, and pay attention to the color highlighted text below and above:

A Certificate of Aircraft Registration and registration number issued to an individual intending to use small unmanned aircraft exclusively as model aircraft, constitutes registration for those small unmanned aircraft owned by that individual that are intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft.
§ 48.115(a)

So to expand on the two above quotes, let's explore "other than model aircraft" and also "exclusively as model aircraft"

Here's the 'other than model aircraft' wording:

Required information from persons registering small unmanned aircraft intended to be used as other than model
aircraft.
• Applicant name or name of authorized representative.
• Applicant e-mail address or email address of authorized representative.
Aircraft manufacturer and model name, and serial number, if available.

Now the 'exclusively as model aircraft'

Required information from individuals registering small unmanned aircraft intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft.
• Applicant name.
• Applicant e-mail address.
§ 48.100

I still don't see a clear definition of "other than" or "exclusively as", but to me it looks as if those operating as a 'hobbyist' would be exempt from registering each airframe, as they're operating 'exclusively as model aircraft'.  I could be wrong, though.

The text DOES go on to read as follows, so perhaps section 333-336 explains the definition of "other than".  I need to get some sleep, so I haven't brought that portion up to try and determine the definitions yet.  Either way, this whole thing is complete BS and sucks dick.

All other small unmanned aircraft intended to be used exclusively as model aircraft (i.e., for hobby and recreational purposes in accordance with the requirements of section 336 of Public Law 112-95) – newly purchased or never before used - must be registered prior to the first operation outdoors. Thus, any small unmanned aircraft purchased, received as a gift, or otherwise acquired on or after December 21, 2015, and intended to be used exclusively as a model aircraft must be registered prior to operation.
Currently, small unmanned aircraft operated as other than model aircraft (i.e., for operations for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes or as a public aircraft) must continue to complete the part 47 registration process in accordance with the conditions and limitations of exemptions issued under section 333 of Public Law 112-95.

Will there be date stamps on the aircraft?  How will they know when I bought it?  What if I built it from scratch?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't see how, by that explanation, the exemption for frisbees and paper airplanes would not also exempt model rockets.

Is my sarcasm meter off?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So frisbees and paper planes don't require registration because there is no direct control link to a person but a model rocket does require registration because.....?

Is my sarcasm meter off?

Disregard.  That's what I get for reading on my phone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is my sarcasm meter off?

It's irrelevant either way.  If I'm correct then as soon as they realize it they'll just make up some other reason that model rockets aren't exempt.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#17]
One thing to remember is that this "rule" is invalid because Congress specifically revoked their authority to promulgate rules related to recreational model aircraft. So, this "rule" will be challenged and the challenge will prevail and the FAA will look stupid. Again.

If they had a clue, they would have recognized the basis for their lower limit of 9 ounces was completely wrong. Essentially, they used data from bullet and shrapnel penetrating injuries from the 1940's and 1960's to determine what kinetic energy constituted a "lethal" potential. Then, they assumed that a drone would fall with a terminal velocity of a finned bomb dropped from infinitely high up.

To recognize how utterly stupid this is, imagine that I am a super-villian. I decide I'm going to kill you. But, being a derpy super-villian, I tell you that you have your choice of weapon you want me to use. Either way, the kinetic energy imparted to you is the same. Your two options are a basketball and a throwing knife, point first. Which one do you think will cause the most injury? Which one will likely not cause ANY injury at twice or ten times the kinetic energy? Further, they assumed that the multicopter would achieve terminal velocity of a streamlined object, something that is impossible with multicopters since they are not in any way streamlined, and, the rotors act as speedbrakes of a fashion because they will windmill even when their is no power to the motors.

No one on their "Registration Task Force" had any aeronautics background nor did any of them appear to have any background in sUAS. Emotion led this recommendation and the FAA has now relegated itself to irrelevancy because no one is going to register a drone they buy from a toy store. No one.

One article was indicating that current owners would have until April to "register". Guess what? I'm not registering $hit and I DARE you to try to "impose civil penalties" on me. The FAA will get their a$$es handed to them in a court of law and in the court of public opinion.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I have been flying RC planes for over 40 years.  I have been telling the guys in my RC club that drones will been the downfall to our hobby.  This registration BS is a farce, just another example of our communist government telling us to get in line with they're way of thinking or go to the gulag.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Oh, I agree. RC aircraft should not be registered.  Unfortunately, some "drone" operators did a few things to ruin it for everybody.  First they demanded that their hobby drones be treated like aircraft and have the same legal protections.  Done.  Now they can register them like any other aircraft.  Second, a small select segment decided to use them to further their voyeuristic interests.   No doubt that the hobby drone registry will be used by LE to solve crime.  Lastly, another group of idiots just had to fly them in places they shouldn't.  Like in the flight paths of real aircraft.

Idiots doing idiotic things led to the registration.  And there will be more to follow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drone hobbyists wanted their toys to be treated like aircraft.  Their wish has come true.  Drone pilot training and registration soon to follow.

if that means i don't have to jump through 87 hoops to legally get paid for taking pics of someone's house, or field, or car dealership, we can discuss.  hobby rc planes should not have to be registered.

Oh, I agree. RC aircraft should not be registered.  Unfortunately, some "drone" operators did a few things to ruin it for everybody.  First they demanded that their hobby drones be treated like aircraft and have the same legal protections.  Done.  Now they can register them like any other aircraft.  Second, a small select segment decided to use them to further their voyeuristic interests.   No doubt that the hobby drone registry will be used by LE to solve crime.  Lastly, another group of idiots just had to fly them in places they shouldn't.  Like in the flight paths of real aircraft.

Idiots doing idiotic things led to the registration.  And there will be more to follow.

Yeah. Go look around on RC groups.  Some there are happy with this.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is a toy airplane being filmed by a toy 'drone'.   A Twofer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clmtNAJB0-E

Youtube here
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have been flying RC planes for over 40 years.  I have been telling the guys in my RC club that drones will been the downfall to our hobby.  This registration BS is a farce, just another example of our communist government telling us to get in line with they're way of thinking or go to the gulag.
View Quote

I put the blame more on FPV than anything.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think it's time for an RC section
View Quote

Yep. It would get traffic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Way to go Obama Administration.  When are you going to announce a simple streamlined online registration for illegal aliens?

Yep, I said the "A " word.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:38:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One thing to remember is that this "rule" is invalid because Congress specifically revoked their authority to promulgate rules related to recreational model aircraft. So, this "rule" will be challenged and the challenge will prevail and the FAA will look stupid. Again.

If they had a clue, they would have recognized the basis for their lower limit of 9 ounces was completely wrong. Essentially, they used data from bullet and shrapnel penetrating injuries from the 1940's and 1960's to determine what kinetic energy constituted a "lethal" potential. Then, they assumed that a drone would fall with a terminal velocity of a finned bomb dropped from infinitely high up.

To recognize how utterly stupid this is, imagine that I am a super-villian. I decide I'm going to kill you. But, being a derpy super-villian, I tell you that you have your choice of weapon you want me to use. Either way, the kinetic energy imparted to you is the same. Your two options are a basketball and a throwing knife, point first. Which one do you think will cause the most injury? Which one will likely not cause ANY injury at twice or ten times the kinetic energy? Further, they assumed that the multicopter would achieve terminal velocity of a streamlined object, something that is impossible with multicopters since they are not in any way streamlined, and, the rotors act as speedbrakes of a fashion because they will windmill even when their is no power to the motors.

No one on their "Registration Task Force" had any aeronautics background nor did any of them appear to have any background in sUAS. Emotion led this recommendation and the FAA has now relegated itself to irrelevancy because no one is going to register a drone they buy from a toy store. No one.

One article was indicating that current owners would have until April to "register". Guess what? I'm not registering $hit and I DARE you to try to "impose civil penalties" on me. The FAA will get their a$$es handed to them in a court of law and in the court of public opinion.

View Quote

GREAT POST!

This program is the most asinine piece of legislation I have ever seen. .55 lbs includes even the smallest of quad rotors if you weigh with the Lipo pack installed (which is the flying weight). Every HobbyZone park flyer and foam aircraft weighs more than .55 lbs. If people were to actually take this seriously this will be millions of aircraft that need to be cataloged for registration.

Absolutely asinine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It takes away their anonymity to a degree.  If they are flying where they shouldn't and someone manages to get the tail number, or, if their drone goes down while doing something untoward, it will be much easier to find the errant hobbyist.
View Quote

Yeah... And after going through a jet engine and the ensuing fire, the number written in pencil inside the battery compartment will be clearly legible!
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Anything over .55 pounds? So it apparently includes those cheap Air Hogs helicopters at Walmart? Yay, government!

ETA-could we bankrupt the enforcement division if a shitload of us registered some?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:41:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yeah... And after going through a jet engine and the ensuing fire, the number written in pencil inside the battery compartment will be clearly legible!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It takes away their anonymity to a degree.  If they are flying where they shouldn't and someone manages to get the tail number, or, if their drone goes down while doing something untoward, it will be much easier to find the errant hobbyist.

Be quiet!
Keep talking like that and we will have to pack them full of little foil paper tags like a damn taser cartridge.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yeah, right.

How big does the N number on my drone have to be?  You know, so the passing 747 crew can read it.  

View Quote

I doubt that you will get N numbers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, right.

Heard they won't be N numbers, N numbers are assigned to aircraft not pilots.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:45:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It started with FPV airplanes then transitioned into quads. So its the airplane guys fault.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:46:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, right.

I wonder if we can use our FCC callsigns.  
Kill two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Congress could fix this.

They won't.

But they could.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Way to go Obama Administration.  When are you going to announce a simple streamlined online registration for illegal aliens?

Yep, I said the "A " word.
View Quote

Didnt you hear they are going to register them at the voting booths.

Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It started with FPV airplanes then transitioned into quads. So its the airplane guys fault.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a hell of a lot more range.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Congress could fix this.

They won't.

But they could.
View Quote

I seriously doubt congress will ever get involved to benefit a hobby.   Be it RC models, ham radio, or firearms.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Be quiet!

Keep talking like that and we will have to pack them full of little foil paper tags like a damn taser cartridge.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be quiet!

What, you mean writing the number on a tiny piece of syrup soaked toilet paper with water soluble ink and placing it between a ketchup packet and the LiPo battery so that a hard landing will either soak it or burn it, or have it eaten by ants is a bad idea?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:50:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Be quiet!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be quiet!

There is precisely ZERO data on whether these small UAS would cause ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER! There have been two "studies" that did some computer simulations that showed severe damage if a 55lb. (not .55, 55lb) drone were to get sucked into an engine at 725mph. So, my question is: my little quadcopter has about 10 minutes of flight time. Exactly how do I get that unit up to ~39,000ft which is the only place a commercial airliner could come close to 725mph?

It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen. And, that Bard College report released today along with this purporting to show the incredible risk of sUAS is complete and utter garbage. Those two "professors" should have their tenure revoked for incompetent analysis. I hope they don't teach there, those students will be handicapped when they enter the workforce if they do.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I predict an uptick in claimed 'fly-away' and 'malfunction' defenses in the near future....
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:54:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I predict an uptick in claimed 'fly-away' and 'malfunction' defenses in the near future....
View Quote

It happens.
My brother lost a Blade 350 something quadcopter.    Flew over the horizin and is somewhere in the gulf of mexico.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There is precisely ZERO data on whether these small UAS would cause ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER! There have been two "studies" that did some computer simulations that showed severe damage if a 55lb. (not .55, 55lb) drone were to get sucked into an engine at 725mph. So, my question is: my little quadcopter has about 10 minutes of flight time. Exactly how do I get that unit up to ~39,000ft which is the only place a commercial airliner could come close to 725mph?

It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen. And, that Bard College report released today along with this purporting to show the incredible risk of sUAS is complete and utter garbage. Those two "professors" should have their tenure revoked for incompetent analysis. I hope they don't teach there, those students will be handicapped when they enter the workforce if they do.
View Quote

You haven't seen the 'news re-enactments' where the $100 UAV keeps pace with the airliner while they positively ID it?
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I seriously doubt congress will ever get involved to benifit a hobby.   Be it RC models, ham radio, or firearms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congress could fix this.

They won't.

But they could.

I seriously doubt congress will ever get involved to benifit a hobby.   Be it RC models, ham radio, or firearms.

Our Congress won't get involved to stop dear leader for any reason. Ever.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#42]
As a professional pilot who has a strong appreciation for controlling airspace and the dangers that RC copters/aircraft can present when being operated without any appreciation or understanding of said airspace.....this is ridiculous.

I'd rather take my chance with a quadcopter through the engine on final than throw a few thousand kids in jail for 3 years because of their Christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
LOL, I fly on private property, eat a dick FAA
View Quote

Nope, you fly above private property.  Not your airspace.
Now pick up that can.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The fee will get rescinded.

Those were a hazard to air navigation way before the quad copter revolution.  I'd send you contact information to a helo pilot that hated kites, but he was killed in an helo accident not related to kites.  He survived the kite incidents.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe I heard them say it was only $5 to register. I guarantee you they're spending more on this program than they'll be taking in.

The fee will get rescinded.

Quoted:
Q. Do I have to register a paper airplane, or a toy balloon or Frisbee?

A. No. Even if these things could be considered "drones" or "unmanned aircraft" and met the minimum weight threshold of 250 gm/0.55 lb., the registration rules also require that they be a part of an "unmanned aircraft system." An "unmanned aircraft system" includes the communication links and components that control the small unmanned aircraft along with all of the other elements needed to safely operate the drone. Paper airplanes, toy balloons, Frisbees, and similar items are not connected to such control system.

Q. What about tethered drones?

A. Both tethered and untethered UAS must be registered.

Are kites that weigh more than 0.55lb supposed to be registered?

Those were a hazard to air navigation way before the quad copter revolution.  I'd send you contact information to a helo pilot that hated kites, but he was killed in an helo accident not related to kites.  He survived the kite incidents.

Coming from someone who almost tangled a helicopter with a string of the advertising balloons from a car lot that the bastards just cut loose.
Who says helos don't have restroom facilities.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Why's that?

My understanding is that the AMA tried to make it better, and in fact they are still trying.  But the FAA is doing whatever they want without listening to the AMA.

We have 185,000 members and only a few years of practice managing government relationships.  This isn't the NRA.  Although hopefully they will take lessons from the NRA.

-J
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why's that?

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week.  AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week.  However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.  
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

-J

OTOH, the AMA seems to have rolled over and taken it. Why didn't they file for an immediate injunction, and announce plans for a lawsuit? They can't be THAT slow in the head, can they? Or is the executive council made up of RC equivilant fudds?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
As a professional pilot who has a strong appreciation for controlling airspace and the dangers that RC copters/aircraft can present when being operated without any appreciation or understanding of said airspace.....this is ridiculous.

I'd rather take my chance with a quadcopter through the engine on final than throw a few thousand kids in jail for 3 years because of their Christmas present.
View Quote

It's 1934 all over again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:26:49 AM EDT
[#47]
What's that you say?

I have nothing to lose now if I go ahead and arm my quads?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anything over .55 pounds? So it apparently includes those cheap Air Hogs helicopters at Walmart? Yay, government!

ETA-could we bankrupt the enforcement division if a shitload of us registered some?
View Quote

It's going to be operating in the red from the get go-cost is estimated 56 million over 5 years. Throw in a couple hundred thousand pilots actually registering (and I'm being generous), and at best, that would be 1 million bucks in revenue, not including the "free" signups.

I don't think they even have an enforcement division for this. I mean, most of their FSDO/field staff are morons without actual aeronautical knowledge or even general aviation experience, from what I remember, and am still hearing about on the various flying groups.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#49]
LAND OF THE FREE!

kids playing with their rc quadcopters at the park, PAPERS PLEASE!
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:48:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
LAND OF THE FEE!

kids playing with their rc quadcopters at the park, PAPERS PLEASE!
View Quote

Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top