Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 13
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is precisely ZERO data on whether these small UAS would cause ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER! There have been two "studies" that did some computer simulations that showed severe damage if a 55lb. (not .55, 55lb) drone were to get sucked into an engine at 725mph. So, my question is: my little quadcopter has about 10 minutes of flight time. Exactly how do I get that unit up to ~39,000ft which is the only place a commercial airliner could come close to 725mph?

It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen. And, that Bard College report released today along with this purporting to show the incredible risk of sUAS is complete and utter garbage. Those two "professors" should have their tenure revoked for incompetent analysis. I hope they don't teach there, those students will be handicapped when they enter the workforce if they do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It takes away their anonymity to a degree.  If they are flying where they shouldn't and someone manages to get the tail number, or, if their drone goes down while doing something untoward, it will be much easier to find the errant hobbyist.

Yeah... And after going through a jet engine and the ensuing fire, the number written in pencil inside the battery compartment will be clearly legible!

Be quiet!

Keep talking like that and we will have to pack them full of little foil paper tags like a damn taser cartridge.  

There is precisely ZERO data on whether these small UAS would cause ANY DAMAGE WHATSOEVER! There have been two "studies" that did some computer simulations that showed severe damage if a 55lb. (not .55, 55lb) drone were to get sucked into an engine at 725mph. So, my question is: my little quadcopter has about 10 minutes of flight time. Exactly how do I get that unit up to ~39,000ft which is the only place a commercial airliner could come close to 725mph?

It's the most absurd thing I've ever seen. And, that Bard College report released today along with this purporting to show the incredible risk of sUAS is complete and utter garbage. Those two "professors" should have their tenure revoked for incompetent analysis. I hope they don't teach there, those students will be handicapped when they enter the workforce if they do.

you'd have better chances of shooting sub MOA at 1,000 yards with a 9m pistol than flying a 12"X12" quadcopter into the intake of an aircraft at XX,XXX ft in altitude traveling at whatever speed occupying god-only-knows whatever the utmost random area in space at any given time..

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
The law doesn't specify the size of the N number.  So three millionths of an inch it is, then.

Upon cursory inspection, the "aircraft" will appear to be unlabeled, and it will be added to a long list of unsolved crimes.  Should the man trace it back to you somehow, you're covered under that law, because you properly labeled your "aircraft".

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you be willing to sit on a plane knowing it was going to fly through a flock of quadcopters on climb out?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:03:10 AM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So is this new registration just for quadcopters.......or will I have to register all of my RC planes and Helicopters also???

ALL R/C aircraft
http://i.imgur.com/BKkO4m6.jpg

Your spelling. It makes you look stupid.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:04:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Do I have to register my lawnmower?

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

you'd have better chances of shooting sub MOA at 1,000 yards with a 9m pistol than flying a 12"X12" quadcopter into the intake of an aircraft at XX,XXX ft in altitude traveling at whatever speed occupying god-only-knows whatever the utmost random area in space at any given time..

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be quiet!
Keep talking like that and we will have to pack them full of little foil paper tags like a damn taser cartridge.  

The only significant threat I could see would be decently sized RC aircraft being flown near airports or other areas with low flying aircraft like helicopters or aircraft operating on MTRs (military low-level routes). Most likely scenario I could see actually causing damage, injury, and/or death is a small single-engine GA aircraft on final hitting one and being damaged while it's low and slow.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:05:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah... And after going through a jet engine and the ensuing fire, the number written in pencil inside the battery compartment will be clearly legible!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It takes away their anonymity to a degree.  If they are flying where they shouldn't and someone manages to get the tail number, or, if their drone goes down while doing something untoward, it will be much easier to find the errant hobbyist.

Good point.  I'll give them this though - it's the most hilarious shit I've read in a while.  I think I called ten people up tonight, telling them that I was going to buy them a felony for Christmas.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is the hobby self regulating still or are people doing stupid things with them?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
RC aircraft have always met the defination of aircraft in the FAR, there has just been an AC that spelled out the exemption for recreational RC aircraft.  The problem is the idiots that have done idiot things with them.

No, that is not the problem.

Is the hobby self regulating still or are people doing stupid things with them?

Kinda like guns, right? Criminals are to blame for gun control...?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:15:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Even after this there is exactly zero chance anyone is going to fuck with you.  Unless, to use your analogy, you walk into the back yard and start doing mag dumps into the air.

But if if do you end up with a FSDO with a hair up his ass over your unregistered toy the FAA isn't going to take action on someone using theirs in close proximity to the ground over their property since they don't want the altitude floor more solidified in case law.

ETA:  Plus there's a bit of a difference since one is an enumerated right and the other has been regulated since just after Orville and Wilbur flipped a coin in Kitty Hawk.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#10]
This is fucking stupid.

That is all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#11]
While the pisses me off, it is cheaper than the AMA membership that most RC people who fly with clubs already have
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#12]
According to the way it is written it look like anything that weighs over .55 lbs and flies can conceivably be considered in violation if not registered, theoretically this can cover even those giant foam planes you buy at walmart. Amazing a federal law requiring the registration of an entire aisle at Target
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:26:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Why am I not shocked people here support this.

Then they will bitch in the future when more restrictions are added on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only significant threat I could see would be decently sized RC aircraft being flown near airports or other areas with low flying aircraft like helicopters or aircraft operating on MTRs (military low-level routes). Most likely scenario I could see actually causing damage, injury, and/or death is a small single-engine GA aircraft on final hitting one and being damaged while it's low and slow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Be quiet!

Which was already illegal.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
According to the way it is written it look like anything that weighs over .55 lbs and flies can conceivably be considered in violation if not registered, theoretically this can cover even those giant foam planes you buy at walmart. Amazing a federal law requiring the registration of an entire aisle at Target of toys designed for 7 year olds.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
According to the way it is written it look like anything that weighs over .55 lbs and flies can conceivably be considered in violation if not registered, theoretically this can cover even those giant foam planes you buy at walmart. Amazing a federal law requiring the registration of an entire aisle at Target of toys designed for 7 year olds.

FIFY

I see this going just like GMRS radios.  There will be a little card in the box with rules and regulations and a mailing address for the FAA. It will get promptly thrown in the trash.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:40:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
While the pisses me off, it is cheaper than the AMA membership that most RC people who fly with clubs already have
View Quote

But you still have to buy that AMA membership the club requires, if you want to fly on their field. Or if you want the insurance.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:47:30 AM EDT
[#18]

The C in RC stands for Control, does it not?  Honest officer, look at my video, I had absolutely NO control of that drone before it crashed...if I had had control, it would not have crashed..
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I wish they hadn't done that.

Now I have to go out and buy one specifically for the purpose of not registering.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's 1934 all over again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a professional pilot who has a strong appreciation for controlling airspace and the dangers that RC copters/aircraft can present when being operated without any appreciation or understanding of said airspace.....this is ridiculous.

I'd rather take my chance with a quadcopter through the engine on final than throw a few thousand kids in jail for 3 years because of their Christmas present.

It's 1934 all over again.

It happens literally all the time too...
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:05:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Would you be willing to sit on a plane knowing it was going to fly through a flock of quadcopters on climb out?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not me. But I would be willing to sit on a plane with this entire registration scheme thrown out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I think when they have to clarify that paper airplanes and Frisbees don't need to be registered, it's gone too far.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I think when they have to clarify that paper airplanes and Frisbees don't need to be registered, it's gone too far.

View Quote

They did.  There must be some sort of "control" to the aircraft.  So paper airplanes and frisbees, even if they are over .55lbs, still do not need to be registered.

Following that same logic, a 30lb freeflight model would not need to be registered, as there is no mechanism for "control".

Continuing on with that logic, a kite over .55lbs WILL need to be registered.  Because they did say that tethered aircraft are still required to register.  And there is a mechanism for "control" by yanking the string.

-J
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's going to be operating in the red from the get go-cost is estimated 56 million over 5 years. Throw in a couple hundred thousand pilots actually registering (and I'm being generous), and at best, that would be 1 million bucks in revenue, not including the "free" signups.

I don't think they even have an enforcement division for this. I mean, most of their FSDO/field staff are morons without actual aeronautical knowledge or even general aviation experience, from what I remember, and am still hearing about on the various flying groups.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anything over .55 pounds? So it apparently includes those cheap Air Hogs helicopters at Walmart? Yay, government!

ETA-could we bankrupt the enforcement division if a shitload of us registered some?

It's going to be operating in the red from the get go-cost is estimated 56 million over 5 years. Throw in a couple hundred thousand pilots actually registering (and I'm being generous), and at best, that would be 1 million bucks in revenue, not including the "free" signups.

I don't think they even have an enforcement division for this. I mean, most of their FSDO/field staff are morons without actual aeronautical knowledge or even general aviation experience, from what I remember, and am still hearing about on the various flying groups.

When has the government ever cared about operating in the red?

No enforcement now,but I'm guessing like everything the gov does,it will be expanded on later.

A few "close calls" from people with "unregistered" stuff,and they will be making the case for more people to enforce the "no fly" zones.And of course "terrorism".

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Even after this there is exactly zero chance anyone is going to fuck with you. Unless, to use your analogy, you walk into the back yard and start doing mag dumps into the air.

But if if do you end up with a FSDO with a hair up his ass over your unregistered toy the FAA isn't going to take action on someone using theirs in close proximity to the ground over their property since they don't want the altitude floor more solidified in case law.

ETA:  Plus there's a bit of a difference since one is an enumerated right and the other has been regulated since just after Orville and Wilbur flipped a coin in Kitty Hawk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even after this there is exactly zero chance anyone is going to fuck with you. Unless, to use your analogy, you walk into the back yard and start doing mag dumps into the air.

You realize this was the argument used after the NFA was passed - and how it was for a few decades. Then, one day, suddenly all those rules that were never enforced started getting enforced.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I don't know why but I am literally laughing out loud at this post.

I shouldn't be because this is depressing as hell and yet here I am.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Land of the free my ass.

This is a well thought out plan by the government to defeat the terrorists.

1 They hate us for our freedoms

2 Take away as many freedoms as possible

3 Terrorists no longer hate us

4 Profit

I don't know why but I am literally laughing out loud at this post.

I shouldn't be because this is depressing as hell and yet here I am.

Yeah,reality is depressing.

I try to throw some humor in to try and lighten things up a little.

Unfortunately,someday these will be the good old days.......
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You realize this was the argument used after the NFA was passed - and how it was for a few decades. Then, one day, suddenly all those rules that were never enforced started getting enforced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep,that's the beauty of it,sooner or later it gets enforced.

Once it's on the books,it's only a matter of time.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#28]
What a joke, good luck enforcing that
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:24:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Congress passed a law SPECIFICALLY DENYING the FAA to have anything to do with model aircraft.  

Yet the FAA is now using that same law and calling model aircraft UAS's to try to skirt the law.  

I for one, will not register.  I highly doubt there will be many people registering either.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
According to the way it is written it look like anything that weighs over .55 lbs and flies can conceivably be considered in violation if not registered, theoretically this can cover even those giant foam planes you buy at walmart. Amazing a federal law requiring the registration of an entire aisle at Target
View Quote

No, it does not cover those.  
Those do not have a ground control mechanism.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Would a dirigible quadcopter hybrid that weighs under 250 grams when inflated have to be registered?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Would a dirigible quadcopter hybrid that weighs under 250 grams when inflated have to be registered?
View Quote

Better write a letter to the FAA tech branch.
Maybe Sig will make a quadcopters stick that you can grab real quick when the FAA shows up.  You can tell them you just hold it up in the air with the stick and pretend you are flying it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Maybe Sig will make a quadcopters stick that you can grab real quick when the FAA shows up.  You can tell them you just hold it up in the air with the stick and pretend you are flying it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They did say weight and used primary units of weight so if the dirigible quad must be inflated to fly, then its weight would be lighter than air so under 0.55 pounds...good to go .

This is how we know bureaucrats are liberal arts idiots and not STEM geeks.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They did say weight and used primary units of weight so if the dirigible quad must be inflated to fly, then its weight would be lighter than air so under 0.55 pounds...good to go .

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

After reading the shit the ATF pulls to try to make a gun fire more than once per trigger pull I figure the FAA will shoot it down with a BB gun then weigh it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Your argument is that someone should get a commercial ticket so they can take a pic from 50' AGL with a little quad or not get in trouble for having ads on a YouTube video of FPV racing.

Do you grasp the logical fallacy there? That's akin saying that only when you go to med school, can you be qualified to cut off a hangnail.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I think some of you guys are missing the upside to all of this.  I'm a recognized pilot now!  Chicks dig pilots!

No you aren't. If you get an actual rating so that you can do stuff with your drone commercially, then maybe.

Your argument is that someone should get a commercial ticket so they can take a pic from 50' AGL with a little quad or not get in trouble for having ads on a YouTube video of FPV racing.

Do you grasp the logical fallacy there? That's akin saying that only when you go to med school, can you be qualified to cut off a hangnail.  

ReconB4, the FAA just made a ruling that did in fact make people who own and operate Pilots in the eyes of the gov.  Don't shoot the messenger, and lighten up Francis.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

After reading the shit the ATF pulls to try to make a gun fire more than once per trigger pull I figure the FAA will shoot it down with a BB gun then weigh it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once they shoot it it ain't flying it's falling.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Congress passed a law SPECIFICALLY DENYING the FAA to have anything to do with model aircraft.  

Yet the FAA is now using that same law and calling model aircraft UAS's to try to skirt the law.  

I for one, will not register.  I highly doubt there will be many people registering either.
View Quote

Did someone already post the section of law dealing with this? I'd be interested in learning more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I bet this is because all the people calling their Aircraft Drones.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#39]
I like in the FAQs where it says, "registration promotes a culture of accountability."  AWESOME let's register everything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start with cigarettes then all the disgusting butts in the road can be traced to the litter bugs that throw them there.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#40]
I welcome the new regulations!

Seriously... regulate the @#$% out of everything Mr. Dot Gov. Regulate my bowel movements and my wife's periods. Let's see how you manage to keep track of all of that. I believe that we're about to see the machine break-down if it has to try to attempt any more micromanagement.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LAND OF THE FEE!

kids playing with their rc quadcopters at the park, PAPERS PLEASE!

Teaches them about what comes next. ..
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The C in RC stands for Control, does it not?  Honest officer, look at my video, I had absolutely NO control of that drone before it crashed...if I had had control, it would not have crashed..
View Quote

Lmao - I've had a few of those moments Hell, I break a lot of parts with RC cars...
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are trying to get around the law by regulating pilots, for now.

Still violates the spirit of the law.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Did someone already post the section of law dealing with this? I'd be interested in learning more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, Section 336

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law
relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal
Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle,
the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may
not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft,
or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—

(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational
use;

(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based
set of safety guidelines and within the programming
of a nationwide community-based organization;

(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless
otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection,
flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;

(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere
with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator
of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air
traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at
the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft
operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an
airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure
with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control
tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall
be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue
enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger
the safety of the national airspace system.

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model
aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—

(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
VerDate Mar 15 2010 03:52 Feb 04, 2012 Jkt 072595 PO 00000 Frm 00072 Fmt 6659 Sfmt 6603 E:\HR\OC\HR381.XXX HR381
pwalker on DSK7TPTVN1PROD with REPORTS

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating
the aircraft; and

(3) flown for hobby or recreational purpose

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:58:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

But you still have to buy that AMA membership the club requires, if you want to fly on their field. Or if you want the insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct
The registration will be of no good to you when you RC toy airplane or multicopter flies into and damages someone else's property or harms some person.  You better have a big checking account then.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Correct
The registration will be of no good to you when you RC toy airplane or multicopter flies into and damages someone else's property or harms some person.  You better have a big checking account then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct

Bingo

I say a guy get sliced up bad from an RC Airplane prop

If I recall there was a guy who got killed from a RD Helicopters rotor.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#47]
An unenforceable law is not a law. They can't even keep tabs on GA pilots how the hell are they going to regulate toys. Anyone who has dealt with the FAA knows they are a lot of bark with no bite.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

An unenforceable law is not a law. They can't even keep tabs on GA pilots how the hell are they going to regulate toys. Anyone who has dealt with the FAA knows they are a lot of bark with no bite.
View Quote
because it was never designed to be an pre-enforcement/regulatory law.... it is only a penalty if you get caught after the fact.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

Their barking already cost me a good chunk of change in lawyer fees.  They don't have to bite when the bark hurts that bad.

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You know how I know you are a DU mole?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think this is a good move.  These things are dangerous and intrusive.  I support increased restrictions to include height and distance limits from operators, prohibitions on recording equipment unless for approved commercial flights, and law enforcement kill switches.  

These things are far too common now.  Very dangerous, plus the buzzing noise is annoying.  

They aren't protected by the constitution either, so no real obstacles to enacting some common sense restrictions and regulations.

Trump 2016

You know how I know you are a DU mole?

No doubt, troll.
I for one will not comply.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top