Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All the smart kids numbered their cards in case they dropped them.
View Quote
All the smart kids I knew went out of their way to make sure they never dropped them.  Ever.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

All the smart kids numbered their cards in case they dropped them.
View Quote
or took a magic marker and drew a diagonal line across the top of the card deck. Made it very obvious if even one card was out of place.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
==every single ID game ever...
View Quote
I guess not everyone can appreciate a quality game. I put down Descent 2 and my Sidewinder 3d pro to play Quake. Quake owned, to use 1997 l33t speak. Multiplayer sucked at first until they came up with client/server with Quakeworld. Then things got even better with TeamFortress.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Nah, those were run of the mill kids.  Smart kids drew a sharp diagonal line across the top of their cards.

Yes, I've entered the boot code on a PDP-11 with dip switches and the damn clock key to get it to load from tape.  I don't miss those days when I have a supercomputer (relatively) go from power off to login in under 10 seconds...
View Quote
the 11/34 used push buttons and wasn't as impressive as entering octal values via the dip switches. (Been there, done that )
Until recently, I still had a couple of RK05 disks sitting in my garage. They're gone...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Lots of good old names there.  Sometimes I think back to how games have progressed when I am playing something modern on (an already outdated) GeForce 1060.

Started with a VIC20 typing in games from the back of a magazine.  If you knew BASIC, you could mess with it!  Cool.

Commodore 64, Amiga 1000, first 386 (Wolf3D demo over and over) but one time I remember my jaw really dropping to the floor was when I saw Quake 2 on an OpenGL system (at work, on an expensive CAD system ).  I spent way too much money I barely had on a Voodoo 3dfx slave card just to get there.

Interesting OS/2 came up.  When I was in CSci in the 90s IBM was giving out copies of Warp to students, we were all obsessed with running Linux or OS/2.  I was all jazzed to have obtained a copy of NT 3.51 (wow, remember PowerPC?).

Now I need to go plan for a winter rebuild of the gaming rig...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I guess not everyone can appreciate a quality game. I put down Descent 2 and my Sidewinder 3d pro to play Quake. Quake owned, to use 1997 l33t speak. Multiplayer sucked at first until they came up with client/server with Quakeworld. Then things got even better with TeamFortress.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
==every single ID game ever...
Oh, don't get me wrong, I hearted the hell out of some ID games, my favorite was Commander Keen... and then Wolfenstein 3D arrived.

Did anyone else have a literal box of floppies or 3.5in boot disks with custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files just so you could run certain games?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That would happen when people overclocked.

It's not like overclocking today where you put a water cooling block on your CPU, Memory, and Video card.

The CPUs in the 90's HAD NO HEATSINK.   Overlclocking involved adding a heatsink with fins and a fan, de-soldering the 25.000Mhz Crystal, and replacing it with something from the TV World.  34Mhz and 37 Mhz were common.  

Remember, the memory back then was NINE DIPS by NINE ROWS, or a shitload of motherboard real estate.   We'd put a sheet of aluminum on those as well, and a 26" standard box fan blowing on your contraption.

The boost from 25Mhz all the way to THIRTY FOUR MEGAHERTZ was awesome!   We'd do benchmarks with FractInt, a fractal generation program, and share them over FTP or dialup BBS's.  

Today's overclockers have it easy.  Just drop the whole damn thing in mineral oil and set the BIOS to the max clock possible and set a record.   Worse case, it fails and reboots in safe mode.   Worse case back then was "You Just Turned $5,000 of hardware into smoke".

Today's overclockers are pussies and sadly can't push their creations further without the basic tenets of physics breaking their clean clocks.   They can only run at Liquid Nitrogen temps around 8 Ghz, That stupid c being a constant is a slap in the face.   At room temp, its the reason we haven't broken the 4Ghz Wall.   The 300Mhz wall was before designers could mass produce micro-strips and timings at the right length.  Now we're down to fundamental laws of Physics limiting air cooled systems.   Only processors can get more efficient.  No more getting faster, barring a big breakthrough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a cyrix catch fire in the shop once.

That's about all I can say about them. Most computers I worked on in the mid-late 90s were intel or amd.
That would happen when people overclocked.

It's not like overclocking today where you put a water cooling block on your CPU, Memory, and Video card.

The CPUs in the 90's HAD NO HEATSINK.   Overlclocking involved adding a heatsink with fins and a fan, de-soldering the 25.000Mhz Crystal, and replacing it with something from the TV World.  34Mhz and 37 Mhz were common.  

Remember, the memory back then was NINE DIPS by NINE ROWS, or a shitload of motherboard real estate.   We'd put a sheet of aluminum on those as well, and a 26" standard box fan blowing on your contraption.

The boost from 25Mhz all the way to THIRTY FOUR MEGAHERTZ was awesome!   We'd do benchmarks with FractInt, a fractal generation program, and share them over FTP or dialup BBS's.  

Today's overclockers have it easy.  Just drop the whole damn thing in mineral oil and set the BIOS to the max clock possible and set a record.   Worse case, it fails and reboots in safe mode.   Worse case back then was "You Just Turned $5,000 of hardware into smoke".

Today's overclockers are pussies and sadly can't push their creations further without the basic tenets of physics breaking their clean clocks.   They can only run at Liquid Nitrogen temps around 8 Ghz, That stupid c being a constant is a slap in the face.   At room temp, its the reason we haven't broken the 4Ghz Wall.   The 300Mhz wall was before designers could mass produce micro-strips and timings at the right length.  Now we're down to fundamental laws of Physics limiting air cooled systems.   Only processors can get more efficient.  No more getting faster, barring a big breakthrough.
There are still people who do real hardware overclocking, not just adjusting some sliders till it stops crashing.

Three GPU's modded together, LN2 cooling.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/72t1bx/xpost_rpcmasterrace_the_first_ever_r9_290x_with_a/?st=j84lwnnu&sh=9af9bca0
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#8]
i miss my Number Nine Motion 771 and 3dfx cards...  the thunk of the 3dfx card taking over when starting a game was always fun

and fuck cyrix cpus, i had more problems with those than intel, i used to steer people away from them like mad when i was selling machines back in '96-'98
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The ancient machines in my typing class freshman year ran Cyrix processors. They were slow as shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Cyrix....
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Anybody remember getting a Voodoo and spinning up Unreal using the glide api and watching jaw dropping 3D goodness? I miss those good ole days...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:45:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Y'all Negroes are now posting in a comfy 90s computer thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
seems appropriate for this thread

Ryox - Earth and Sea/A new departure (Shenmue '80 Remix)
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
Be careful, it is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL this.

I remember having one or two of their chips.  Ran hot IIRC.  Also fuzzy on details.  Maybe it was Quake, I remember performance not being up to par with the Intel chips.  Didn't they also have a pretty nasty bug that caused crashes?  Anyhoo, remember ditching them and going with Intel afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Your post makes me feel old.

I remember all of that stuff and a bunch of stuff you ignored
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
XYZZY.
View Quote
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:43:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#21]
These young whippersnappers will never know the pain of creating boot disks just to have enough conventional memory to run your favorite game.  

Also, whatever happened to Origin?  I remember a time when their latest game always needed a CPU that wasn't out yet to play it.  

EDIT:  Lastly, I was thinking on the way to work this morning, while listening to The Prodigy's Fat of the Land, how I miss Fastracker for editing music.  Damn, I'm old...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#22]
This post makes me smile. My first personally owned home computer was an IBM PS/2 Model 30... 286, 12mhz with 1mb of RAM and a 30mb hard drive. My Dad and I added the math co-processor ourselves so that I could run AutoCAD. I was living large!

It snowballed from there, though. Upgrading and building computers (to play the latest and greatest games) is what changed my focus and eventually got me into the IT field.

I owned Cyrix based machines and AMD based machines. I even did a stint as a contributor on a 3DNow! related gaming site (blogging before it was called blogging). I lived through all of the good stuff. Voodoo cards, Voodoo II cards, Voodoo II SLI setups, Nvidia's first TNT cards, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Halflife, Unreal... All of it. I tested/ran/played it all.

I eventually started my own hardware review site in 1999 that specialized in higher end workstation and server hardware and, in its hey-day, generated several million page views per month.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
These young whippersnappers will never know the pain of creating boot disks just to have enough conventional memory to run your favorite game.  

Also, whatever happened to Origin?  I remember a time when their latest game always needed a CPU that wasn't out yet to play it.  

EDIT:  Lastly, I was thinking on the way to work this morning, while listening to The Prodigy's Fat of the Land, how I miss Fastracker for editing music.  Damn, I'm old...
View Quote
Yeah I remember that. EMM386 to load some TSRs in extended. Especially for Nascar.exe, that thing wanted something like 610k of conventional.

Or 3.5s dying randomly. Lost some school papers due to that. That's when I started emailing them to myself with yahoo mail instead of using floppies (1998 iirc).
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Anybody remember getting a Voodoo and spinning up Unreal using the glide api and watching jaw dropping 3D goodness? I miss those good ole days...
View Quote
I remember running Unreal with an 8mb Voodoo II card. In the opening sequence (on the crashed ship with the marble looking floors) I was spinning around just looking at stuff and almost gave myself motion sickness!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:03:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This post makes me smile. My first personally owned home computer was an IBM PS/2 Model 30... 286, 12mhz with 1mb of RAM and a 30mb hard drive. My Dad and I added the math co-processor ourselves so that I could run AutoCAD. I was living large!
View Quote
What's sad was when I graduated high school in 2000, our computer lab still was 75% 8086 workstations. They had 5 486 machines, one (sx25) took 6 minutes to load Netscape Navigator, we timed it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I remember around 97 or so when I first started repairing computers that a good number of PCs (windows/dos) came through the shop with weird errors, crashes, hard stops, etc. Almost every time it was a Cyrex CPU... Never trusted those things and told everyone to stay away from them.

Those and Quantum Bigfoot drives were the two big items we had issues with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a cyrix catch fire in the shop once.

That's about all I can say about them. Most computers I worked on in the mid-late 90s were intel or amd.
I remember around 97 or so when I first started repairing computers that a good number of PCs (windows/dos) came through the shop with weird errors, crashes, hard stops, etc. Almost every time it was a Cyrex CPU... Never trusted those things and told everyone to stay away from them.

Those and Quantum Bigfoot drives were the two big items we had issues with.
I remember the same thing w/ the Cyrix processors.   They were great in theory and cheap, but I had far more than what I would expect of issues from them.  Bigfoot drives were another crashing piece of shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I remember the same thing w/ the Cyrix processors.   They were great in theory and cheap, but I had far more than what I would expect of issues from them.  Bigfoot drives were another crashing piece of shit.
View Quote
I'm not sure who would have wanted a Cyrix. For business, the AMD K6, K6-3d and K6-2 were decent processors. Didn't quite have the FPU of the PII, so it wasn't the gamers first choice, but a decent chip overall. The Cyrix just wasn't attractive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Trying to get X Windows running on a Linux box in the 90's was a total PITA, had to at minimum edit a 2000 line config file about 4 dozen times, rebooting because it would lock up when you got it wrong, then repeat.
View Quote
Aww c'mon, it wasn't that bad. It was all documented. Heck, even I was able to figure it out. Most of it was getting your horizontal and vertical frequencies right.

There was some level of satisfaction in using the OSS version of everything. Had XMMS, some AIM client, web browser, some gnutella client, Kdevelop worked almost as good as Visual C++, only thing missing were the games. Though I will say gimp sucks
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's sad was when I graduated high school in 2000, our computer lab still was 75% 8086 workstations. They had 5 486 machines, one (sx25) took 6 minutes to load Netscape Navigator, we timed it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My senior year of highschool (89-90) I was a co-op/intern at an architectural firm as a draftsman. We still did the majority of our drawing on the table back then because regenerating a single AutoCAD drawing could take HOURS. I remember working on the site plan for a retirement home/community... we drew everything fullsize in AutoCAD and the plotted it to scale... I got stuck with the slowest 386 back then and had some regens that had to run overnight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#32]
PC Jr. Here. Wish I would have kept it but I was trading women so often I didn't have time to keep up with computing along with my shotgunning drinking boating fishing and hunting habits while working 80+ hours a week. 
I didn't get back in until The Pentium 100mhz and Windows 3.1 iirc. I would have loved to have been younger by 15 years and had the time to spend in that era of computing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

LOL this.

I remember having one or two of their chips.  Ran hot IIRC.  Also fuzzy on details.  Maybe it was Quake, I remember performance not being up to par with the Intel chips.  Didn't they also have a pretty nasty bug that caused crashes?  Anyhoo, remember ditching them and going with Intel afterwards.
View Quote
I remember all this stuff from back when I was like 12. I used to look at the CompUSA (another forgotten name!) flyers and watch the clock speeds go up on the computers when I was a kid.

Gaming magazines used to have the demo CDs with them, and one I had, for whatever reason (bug?), had the whole Quake game on it... (to play the later levels you just had to enter a cheat code)

But it had the Mechwarrior 2 soundtrack (which was pretty rad lol) probably part of the bug that somehow let me play the whole game.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#35]
All I can add is that I recall playing Quake for the first time, for several hours. When I went to bed and closed my eyes, the water effect was stuck in my head and I was nearly sea sick.

One of the top games ever. I still love it and play Quake Arena on my phone.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I only build computers with AMD CPUs just to support the little guy and avoid a monopoly.
My frequency of one every five years really makes a difference!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My senior year of highschool (89-90) I was a co-op/intern at an architectural firm as a draftsman. We still did the majority of our drawing on the table back then because regenerating a single AutoCAD drawing could take HOURS. I remember working on the site plan for a retirement home/community... we drew everything fullsize in AutoCAD and the plotted it to scale... I got stuck with the slowest 386 back then and had some regens that had to run overnight.
View Quote
Reminds me of when my dad ran defrag on the hard drive in his Franklin 8086. It took a week.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#38]
@brass don't forget that AMD is still fighting Intel over the fact that the intel compiler won't support advanced features on AMD cpus, even those with same features as the intels.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Trying to get X Windows running on a Linux box in the 90's was a total PITA, had to at minimum edit a 2000 line config file about 4 dozen times, rebooting because it would lock up when you got it wrong, then repeat.
View Quote
How are we not already friends?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cyrix allowed AMD to get into the market and got Intel CPU prices down into the sane range.  

I'm not saying they were awesome and fast, just that they created an entire paradigm shift to CPUs with microcode to fix issues, even Intel started doing that after their FDIV bug Pentium processors.

It was similar to IBM being The King through computing history, underestimating the possibilities of desktop/home PCs that gave rise to Microsoft.

I guess for the people today, imagine a small startup company creating something so new and groundbreaking that it unseated Microsoft as an OS choice for current hardware. That was how big of deal it was for IBM to lose some lawsuits and allow "The PC Clones" to explode.   The only thing I can think of is Google/Android making Microsoft a minor player in mobile phones and portable devices.  
View Quote
As a Debian programmer, I'm sure you know more about the hardware layer than I do, but I'll write this; even if they did innovate significantly, they didn't unseat anyone. Intel stomped them into the ground

AMD with their Athlon K7 was the first to dethrone the king.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Wow, so many things I had buried in the past that you guys helped me re-live in this thread

Few things I didn't see mentioned:

Loading 20+ floppys just to install Windoze or even 10 floppys just to install IE 1.x
Getting ISDN installed (using an Ascend Pipeline modem), rocking ridiculous low ping for Quake multiplayer
Many hours wasted trying to,resolve IRQ errors
Circuit City, CompUSA, and BestBuy - waiting for the Sunday mailers showing the free items (after rebate) like bundles of RW CD blanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow, so many things I had buried in the past that you guys helped me re-live in this thread

Loading 20+ floppys just to install Windoze or even 10 floppys just to install IE 1.x
Getting ISDN installed (using an Ascend Pipeline modem), rocking ridiculous low ping for Quake multiplayer
Circuit City, CompUSA, and BestBuy - waiting for the Sunday mailers showing the free items (after rebate) like bundles of RW CD blanks
View Quote
Getting parked in front of Babagges in the mall by the parent while they shopped.

Arcades... I miss the Arcades of my youth.

Radio Shacks that actually had cool shit in them.

This thread is now a nostalgia thread.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm not sure who would have wanted a Cyrix. For business, the AMD K6, K6-3d and K6-2 were decent processors. Didn't quite have the FPU of the PII, so it wasn't the gamers first choice, but a decent chip overall. The Cyrix just wasn't attractive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From what I remember it was bargain hunters.  People bought them because they were cheap.    There was a lot off odd stuff back then.   The IBM 386SLC chips come to mind, but they at least worked.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#46]
That 800x600 image is about 1" square on my 3440x1440 monitor lol

I built my first computer in 2002/2003 on an AMD K8 Athlon 64

Spent several years prior to that experimenting with any computer I could get my hands on 286/386/486, slotted pentiums, anything.

I could install dos, win95 and win98 all by myself by age 11
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Fun fact, That was an image stored plainly in the windows folder on 95/98 machines.

I drew dicks on them with MS Paint in the school's computer lab in 7th grade
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Fun fact, That was an image stored plainly in the windows folder on 95/98 machines.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

When I first got a cable modem I used to scan my neighborhood for folks who had netbios turned on.

Then I'd password crack their machine, login, and change that BMP to something a little less pleasant
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:57:50 PM EDT
[#49]
My neighbor had a small computer company. He actually gave me a 286 for my high school graduation in 92. It was something in his shop they had rebuilt out of parts. I remember him saying it was a "screamer" at 16 mhz iirc.

My parents had just bought a 386 with a 256 color monitor.

It was a step down, but I was just happy I had something to write my college papers on. I'd had a taste of the typewriter age and that shit was for the birds.

I beat on that 286 for 3 years till it crashed and burned on me. I cobbled some money together and bought a demo mac because I needed it to go back and forth with the mac's they had in the journalism lab at school. It was a jump up for what I could afford, but it seemed like all my friends had new $1000+ machines with the latest and greatest stuff. Never seemed to catch up.

When I took my first job, we had Pentium 166 machines running Interleaf which was a heavy duty book publishing package. I was putting together tech manuals for a computer company who did their own maintenance. Those 166's choked on Interleaf and I kept getting refurb 166's from the company shop. I finally started marking them with a sharpie marker just to make sure I was getting a different computer in the swap and not the same shit with the same problem.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Those are some good ones.  I don't miss floppies or IRQ errors.

I remember when the company I was working for in the late 90s got an ISDN line.  We would stay after hours and do some serious damage with the low ping.

Anybody ever rock a Zip drive?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top