Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2023 6:22:00 PM EDT

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said a convenience store owner is in custody and charged with murder in the case of a 14-year-old boy who was shot to death.

Deputies said they found Carmack-Belton with a gunshot wound lying on the side of the road and he was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Lott said the investigation revealed a confrontation happened at the nearby Shell gas station where the store owner, Rick Chow, suspected Carmack-Belton of shoplifting. However, there was no evidence he stole anything.

Lott stated after a verbal confrontation, Chow and his son chased Carmack-Belton down the street. The teen fell but got back up and ran.

Authorities said Chow’s son told his dad Carmack-Belton was armed, and Chow shot Carmack-Belton in the back as he was running away.

According to Lott, Carmack-Belton was armed with a gun, which was later recovered by deputies near his body.
View Quote

https://www.wistv.com/2023/05/29/deputies-victim-dead-after-shooting-richland-county/

There's a 13 minute press conference video at the link.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

This one is gonna be a doozy...
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/giphy-84.gif

View Quote

An Asian store owner runs after a black teenager and shoots him in the back, it has potential for some unrest.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Need to employ the Mal-ism: "If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 6:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Lott stated after a verbal confrontation, Chow and his son chased Carmack-Belton down the street. The teen fell but got back up and ran.

Shoot him from the scene of the robbery as he retreats while still armed?
Good shoot.

Chase him down and shoot him as he tries to escape?
You better have a badge. If he's black you better have a federal badge, because no state prosecutor is going to pin his career to yours, but a United States Attorney will.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot to unpack on this but my most immediate question is what is a 14 year old doing with a gun?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot to unpack on this but my most immediate question is what is a 14 year old military age male doing with a gun?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
A lot to unpack on this but my most immediate question is what is a 14 year old military age male doing with a gun?

FIFY

Quoted:
Quoted:

An Asian store owner runs after a black teenager and shoots him in the back, it has potential for some unrest.

It's all so tiresome...

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's true that the teen stole something and then pulled a gun out when the gas station owner decided to get his shit back, then it was a good shoot.

I remember when Michael Brown was killed and everyone said "he was shot in the back," then the autopsy report came out and the vast majority of the shots turned out to be fired into his chest and stomach at close range. Maybe this'll turn out to be the same type of shit... But I can also tell you that you don't need to turn and face someone to pop some rounds off at them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#8]
In not sure that this should be legal. I'm also not sure that the penalty should be too stiff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm I the only one reading his name as "Carnack-Belton"?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]

What is that gif from?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking like a bad shoot.

Richland County Coroner, on the other hand, is a hottie.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A lot to unpack on this but my most immediate question is what is a 14 year old doing with a gun?
View Quote

Bro, it’s Richland County.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:17:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looking like a bad shoot.

Richland County Coroner, on the other hand, is a hottie.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#14]

That took me a moment to figure out.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Regardless of the race of the parties involved, shooting someone in the back who is running away from you will make it very difficult to sell self defense to a jury.  

However if the shooting happened a short time earlier when the robber is facing the victim and threatening to kill the victim, the shooting would be much easier to justify.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Chasing somebody down is going to make a self defense claim nearly impossible. At that point you're hoping a jury rules that the dead guy deserved it...which is unlikely in an urban center if you are talking about a dead "boy" (14 year olds do a lot of evil shit in this country) who is from a minority racial group. That "child" is automatically a victim in most narratives.

Even if the "boy" pulls a gun while you chase him, the fact that you're giving chase is going to make shooting him incredibly difficult if not impossible to justify within the boundaries of lawful self defense.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's true that the teen stole something and then pulled a gun out when the gas station owner decided to get his shit back, then it was a good shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From a legal perspective, most likely not in most places in the US.

I remember when Michael Brown was killed and everyone said "he was shot in the back," then the autopsy report came out and the vast majority of the shots turned out to be fired into his chest and stomach at close range. Maybe this'll turn out to be the same type of shit... But I can also tell you that you don't need to turn and face someone to pop some rounds off at them.

Michael Brown was inside the police car grabbing for the officer's gun when he was shot.

Police have a duty to arrest, which means they are empowered to give chase. Ordinary joes have no such duty and so they aren't allowed to chase criminals, especially ones who have not committed a violent act prior to the chase.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Regardless of the race of the parties involved, shooting someone in the back who is running away from you will make it very difficult to sell self defense to a jury.  

However if the shooting happened a short time earlier when the robber is facing the victim and threatening to kill the victim, the shooting would be much easier to justify.
View Quote

Yeah, I've got no sympathies for the criminal shot, but you don't go chasing them down and shooting them in the back. If that's what happened.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]
No evidence of theft, chased down and shot him in the back. Yeah shooter is going to prison if those are in fact the facts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Vocational Training
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Not guilty unless there is actual video (Innocent until proven guilty). I’m tired of all the “poor innocent black children gunned down by hatred and bigotry” nonsense and lies from the media painting these scumbags as innocent victims. Michael Brown, Tarvon Martin, George Floyd, etc all had the media narrative on their side painting them as helpless victims.

Brown was a “Gentle Giant”
Trayvon just wanted some “Skittles”
George Floyd “cried for his momma”
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
From a legal perspective, most likely not in most places in the US.

Michael Brown was inside the police car grabbing for the officer's gun when he was shot.

Police have a duty to arrest, which means they are empowered to give chase. Ordinary joes have no such duty and so they aren't allowed to chase criminals, especially ones who have not committed a violent act prior to the chase.
View Quote

As with most people here, I see a disconnect between what's right and what's legal: that's the angle I'm coming from when I say "good shoot." As for what's legal, I agree that this guy would get loved tenderly per the current narrative. That being said, it's a narrative, not fact and truth, per the current level of knowledge and where the case is at. For all we know, the gas station owner could be 100% legally justified and there's serious fuckery afoot, like what happened with the Kyle Rittenhouse prosecution.

Even from a legal perspective, you have the right to take your property back from a thief in most states (I know New Jersey is one such exception), and if the thief resists (which turns the theft into a robbery), you've got a good case for resisting a robbery with deadly force.

Police in most states do NOT have a duty to arrest, or more specifically, no legal obligation. In my home state of Ohio, police have a "duty to halt or prevent the commission of an offense or to apprehend an offender," under Ohio Revised Code Section 2921.44, but this is the exception among the fifty states and not the rule. I'm not aware of what South Carolina law says on the matter.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chasing somebody down is going to make a self defense claim nearly impossible. At that point you're hoping a jury rules that the dead guy deserved it...which is unlikely in an urban center if you are talking about a dead "boy" (14 year olds do a lot of evil shit in this country) who is from a minority racial group. That "child" is automatically a victim in most narratives.

Even if the "boy" pulls a gun while you chase him, the fact that you're giving chase is going to make shooting him incredibly difficult if not impossible to justify within the boundaries of lawful self defense.
View Quote

I agree but could see a somewhat reasonable expectation. After all, most folks don’t expect a young teen to be armed with a gun… and shooting someone over an alleged shoplifting seems insane to anyone fit for western society.

“I thought he stole something based upon watching him place XXX in his pocket so I attempted to stop him. He ran out of the store and I followed him into the parking lot while shouting “hey you need to pay for that”. He shouted something and pulled a gun on me so I fired in self defense.”

Just my complete fabrication of an explanation I could see being plausible for claiming self defense.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No evidence of theft, chased down and shot him in the back. Yeah shooter is going to prison if those are in fact the facts.
View Quote

Indeed. I even remember when Michael Brown was executed in cold blood by the mean poleece.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#25]
If there were no guns, there would be less crime.  Can I get banned for posting that statement?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Meh. Guilty. Time served. $50 fine for shooting in the city.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If there were no guns, there would be less crime.  Can I get banned for posting that statement?
View Quote

It's easier to get rid of thieves. They are harder to conceal on the person than a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#29]
The Asian owner is going to be facing a jury of the victim's peers most likely. Rule #1 is to keep insurance paid up so if the business gets burned down, his family isn't further ruined.

Apparently the shooting happened about a block away from the business, so the 'chase' was not incidental. A potential jury is not going to like he chased the kid down while he was trying to get back home.

I'm not defending the 14 y/o, but the shooter has to face reality. He's fucked. He's got to hope for a plea deal of manslaughter with 8 - 10, and hope for parole in around 5. If the jury gets ahold him, he's looking at life. If there other witnesses not yet identified, they are not going to be jumping up to help the shooter at this point if there is exculpatory info.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What is that gif from?
View Quote

Dindunuffin is how we got Roof Koreans

Before Rodney King verdict, LA remembers killing of 15-year-old Latasha Harlins
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Shoot him from the scene of the robbery as he retreats while still armed?
Good shoot.

Chase him down and shoot him as he tries to escape?
You better have a badge. If he's black you better have a federal badge, because no state prosecutor is going to pin his career to yours, but a United States Attorney will.
View Quote

It's kinda funny, really. RCSD is seriously understrength and the public isn't too confident in response and followthrough. I hate that it happened, but I understand WHY it happened.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Asian owner is going to be facing a jury of the victim's peers most likely. Rule #1 is to keep insurance paid up so if the business gets burned down, his family isn't further ruined.

Apparently the shooting happened about a block away from the business, so the 'chase' was not incidental. A potential jury is not going to like he chased the kid down while he was trying to get back home.

I'm not defending the 14 y/o, but the shooter has to face reality. He's fucked. He's got to hope for a plea deal of manslaughter with 8 - 10, and hope for parole in around 5. If the jury gets ahold him, he's looking at life. If there other witnesses not yet identified, they are not going to be jumping up to help the shooter at this point if there is exculpatory info.

View Quote

Hopefully the jury will view strapping on a gun and stealing things as voluntarily distancing yourself from the purview of laws.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't care what the the coroner, judge or jury says.

It was a good shoot.
Crime should not pay.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Well damn, I searched for shot, maybe gas station. Convenience store and shoot, lol.

I tried
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#35]
It's all so tiresome.

Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#36]
There isn't a state in this country this is a good shoot.

If the details are accurate
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#37]
What are the chances that the initial police report /information released to the media are actually accurate?

I'm going to go with 0% because they never are..... I will withhold my opinion until the actual facts of this case start coming out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Reported. Approved lingo meme to follow.

Quoted:

Dindunuffin is how we got Roof Koreans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic0SUiATesc
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Assume accurate reporting, gas station owner is going to jail.  But … one thing I’ve learned, it to wait until the whole story comes out, I will withhold judgement.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Supermarket Scene from don't be a menace?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was a good shoot.
Crime should not pay.
View Quote

What crime?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is what is reported.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:10:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

If there were no guns, the World would be ruled by thugs. There would be no advanced technology, no private property, no economy. Women would be kept as possessions of men who could take and keep them.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Good kill.

He deserved to die and I don't give three fifths of a fuck who disagrees with me
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Fuck thieves and armed robbers.

10 to 1 the little shit would’ve come back for revenge later. Possibly with friends. Or wound up robbing other people until getting shot or arrested.

Armed robbery always progresses to murder.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What crime?
View Quote

I may have to defer to the shopkeeper that the armed 14 year old was not being a perfect customer.

Protip: If the shopkeeper's son notices you have a gun you're not concealing very well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:41:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

maybe to you, but legally as the story sits, gas station owner is in deeeeeep shit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I detest thieves.

However, back shooting someone suspected of stealing something from a convience store is pretty fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

What crime?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a good shoot.
Crime should not pay.

What crime?

We all know what he was doing. Five finger discount.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#50]
If the shooter is a member here it would be a timeout - minimum. Possibly a ban if he has shot a robber before.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top