Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Keeping your right elbow closer to the body on the downswing will help prevent an outside in (i.e., "over the top") swing.

And, envision your swing going straight out from the ball for about 12" after hitting it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop golfing, haven’t sliced in a decade
View Quote

I took up Frisbee golf.  Twice as fun, just as challenging, almost zero expense.  I'll never play golf again.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Your best shots are when your head follows your shoulders, not the other way around. Aka keep your head down.
View Quote

If there's one swing thought I always try to have, it's "Watch the club hit the ball."

It doesn't mean you have to keep your head 'statue still.'  In fact, your head needs to swivel, or you won't get a good shoulder turn.  But you can't move your face towards the target before the club hits the ball.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Stay connected on the takeaway. You must turn your body and not just swing with your arms. Don't allow the club to get behind you (so to speak). This will stop you from coming over the top and allow you to drop the club inside on the downswing. Also, you must get through the ball to a good finish ( weight forward, belt buckle pointed at target). This really helped my swing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Front foot a little more “in”, closing your stance a little.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Here you go.  Other vids on the channel are just as... attention keeping (as much as golf lessons can, anyway).

[youtube]watch?feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

[youtube]evLty4KJQec?list=PLY5DRfygNQ-C-elRp-ZYgbPqtT4IK6jjA[/youtube]

ETA: I suck and fail at embedding/ hotlinking YouTube videos
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm a high swing speed guy and I had a huge problem with slicing for years.  My fix was to focus on keeping my right elbow in tight to my side.  That forced me into a more inside-out swing and straightened me out and made my shot more of a slight draw.  It can be overdone, though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quit
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Easy fix u can do on the course Without changing your swing is put the ball a bit farther back in your stance and If u are a righty, after u set up, pull your right(rear) foot Back (not wider but toward your back) an inch or so so you would almost be setting up as a draw stance.  Slow your backswing down a little.  
Can help control it but it doesn’t solve the slice issue but you will also lose a little distance.

Edit:  if youR just going out with the boys and don’t want to play from the other fairways all day put a very lite film of Vaseline on the clubface but it is cheating.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:50:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Grew up on a golf course; dad was head pro. Got lots of instruction and saw him give many lessons. Generally when I slice it, it's because I am making a "hockey shot", where the hands some through before the club head.

You have to roll your arms a bit from the elbows to get the club face back to square when you come through on the downswing.

The only problem is that it can be easy to overdo it and hook it.

Basically, the cure for just about any problem with a golf swing is a lesson and hitting thousands of balls on the range. This is something I no longer care about of have time for, so I'm perfectly satisfied with shooting around 90 the two or three times a year I play.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Easy.  I'll teach you how to hit a slice first.

Aim left (where ball will start).
Open club face (to where you want the ball to land).
Swing square with your feet (lined up left).

Do you now see the problem with slicers aiming left to compensate?

Now reverse everything to hit a draw.
View Quote

I always chuckle when people who slice the ball "compensate" by aiming more left.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, the good news is you only have a one way miss and have taken left out of the equation.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Almost all folks who struggle with slicing are not leading with their hips. You have to turn your hips before your upper body to have an inside out swing.
View Quote

And finish towards the target.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Practice the towel drill. Put a towel under your back armpit (right if you are right handed). The towel must stay under your armpit throughout your back swing.

Also, make sure your wrists are straight and not cocked up towards your face.

You will likely need to practice with a half swing for a while until you have the ball going straight.  You will see that even with a half swing that when you strike the ball cleanly and it goes straight that the ball will go surprisingly far. Only then should you increase your backswing and swing speed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Relax. Seriously.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I remember reading a Faldo book where his teacher made him hit full swing three irons only a 100 yards. I guess it gave him the ultimate feel and distance control. It's fun to take a full driver swing and pretend you are only hitting it with enough force to go a 100 yards.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure the obsession with the driver. I drive with a 3 wood. I hit it straight down the middle and long. Much better than a long slice into the rough and further from the hole.

Go down to the driving range on any given day and watch the testosterone. Guys will hit three buckets with the driver and waste their time.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Flatten/shallow your swing plane to eliminate the over-the-top move that causes the slice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Actually broke 80 for second time in my “career” this year.

Same course a month later- 110.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please take my advice.
I shoot in the high 60s to low 70s.

Any colder than that and it isnt as enjoyable.

Actually broke 80 for second time in my “career” this year.

Same course a month later- 110.

Jesus, did you play with one arm when you shot a 110 after breaking 80 just a month before? I'm a 13 index and usually shoot low to high 80's (I've never broken 80), I couldn't imagine shooting over 100 ever again unless I was playing at Oakmont on the tips w/ 30 MPH wind and the rough hadn't been cut for 3 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
6 Beers....

7 was too many and 5 not enough.

View Quote

The absolute furthest, straightest drive I have ever had I was drunk af on apple pie moonshine at a golf course. I crushed it, that was the 6th hole by the 9th I could barely stand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:17:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This ^^^^
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get your swing plane corrected.

This ^^^^

This again or learn to play the slice you have.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get your swing plane corrected.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#24]
My Pop was a Pro and made mad $$ giving lessons.

I dont know a 100th of his knowledge but he would always go back to the basics initially.

Golden Bear tips https://golf.com/news/jack-nicklaus-six-swing-tips-classic/

What grip are you using OP? Going to a double overlap grip improved my Golf life a thousand fold.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I stopped golfing 2 years ago and haven't sliced a ball since.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Knees, hips and shoulders all square to the target line.
Pick a spot about 5 feet in front of the ball on the target line, and try to hit the drive over your "spot"

Point the "V" formed by your thumb and forefinger on both hands towards your back shoulder and visualize driving a nail through the back of the ball with your driver clubface, perpendicular to the ground, and swing "down the line" toward your target, toward your imaginary spot in front of the ball.

Most slicers never have the clubface square to the target during any portion of the swing.
whether it's alignment, swing path or grip.

Square up your stance/alignment.
Neutral grip.
Swing "down the line".
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Stop golfing, haven’t sliced in a decade
View Quote

Can confirm this works.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#28]
For me, it was focusing on keeping my left arm straight, and not coming back as far on my backswing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I use to slice so bad I was in danger of having the ball come back and hit me!

This simple trick fixed it...

Grip the club loosely.

Your wrists need to break through the ball,  they can’t break freely if you’re choking the club to death.
View Quote

I had the same problem. I took a week long clinic and the instructor pointed it out to me, he said it was a common problem for people that work with their hands which I do. His advice was, and I think it came from Hogan, was to use no more grip than it would take to hold a baby bird without crushing it to death. It worked wonders for my slice.  I will still block the ball out to the right occasionally if I try to crush it but rarely slice any longer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Find a PGA teaching professional that does fittings. Take a lesson and have him make sure your driver fits you. Don't listen to your buddies or most anything you read here, they aren't you. You need to find out what works for you, not them.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Just to put another swing thought in your mind that will usually make things worse...

for a draw, think of bringing the club down to your right pocket, for a fade, bring it down to your left pocket. I still, think if you put your feet as close together, even touching, you will feel the correct swing. Take a few practice swing like that and watch your knees and hips move without even thinking about it. You will not be able to hit the ball is you swing too hard and if you let your eyes even blink from the ball it won't work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Beer or a good instructor who will observe your swing and stance.  Fancier ways is video and tracking systems that show your swing and ideal lines.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top