Another good Metallica song.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Barbra Streisand, "The Way We Were"
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Blues/Rock category...

[b]"Crossroads"[/b]

Written and recorded in 1935 by Robert Johnson in a warehouse in Dallas' Deep Ellum district and later immortalized by Cream in a live performance in 1968.  Clapton at the height of his powers, Jack Bruce virtuoso bass guitar and Ginger Baker playing in the style Mick Fleetwood could only imitate.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Jimi Hendrix's version of Little Wing
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Spirit in the Sky
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Stairway to Heaven
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Run-Collective Soul
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I vote for "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring"  Beethoven

Though Giovanni Palestrina's "Sicut Cervus" is also extraordinary.  A perfect example of italian polyphany.

Of course I'm also a real fan of Silly Wizard's  "Donald McGillavry" and "The Queen of Argyle"
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Star Spangled Banner

American Pie
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The Ledge- The Replacments
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Supertramps "Breakfest In America"

edited: After just listening to their Breakfest In America CD, I also must ad "Take The Long Way Home"  
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I could get behind some of these choices, but there are just so many that it is a hard choice.

Yes, Freebird, Stairway to Heaven come to mind, but are certainly over exposed.

I have to agree that, with the possible exception of Patsy Cline, Karen Carpenter had a once in a lifetime natural talent, syrupy though she might have been.

I think I'll go obscure and say "I never Dreamed She'd Leave in Summer" recorded by Three Dog Night, written by Stevie Wonder, IIRC.

Ray
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
"City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie.

I got to meet him when he played the Peabody Hotel ballroom in Memphis several years ago.  Shook his hand, told him I really appreciated his music, he said....."Thanks, Kid!"

Really nice guy, but he smelled bad.  I mean really bad, like he hadn't had a shower in weeks.

Scary that a rabid right-wing conservative like me enjoys liberal folk music.  Even scarier is the fact that it was hard for me to decide between Arlo and "Rocketman" by Elton John.

Elton is my second favorite homo.  My favorite rump ranger is Rob Halford of Judas Priest.

Not a queer bone in my body (pun intended), just ask my wife.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#17]
wow, there's a replacements fan here?
I have to tell you the AR15 board has come to impress me. some of the most mature intelligent yet diverse ppl reside here, that can live with others opinions. Im proud to say I post here! After years of posting on other boards (non weapon related), all you ever see is snivelling asses trying to put down the ideas of others.

my fave 'Winter' drinking albums for last few years, (because arent they ALL drinking songs in some way or another?:

some albums maybe to check out:

1. Cheri Knight - The Northeast Kingdom
2. Cheri Knight - The Knitter
3. The Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall
4. The Jayhawks - Tomorrow the Green Grass

other bands worth mentioning are, Deftones, ATDI, The Figgs, Pietasters, Op Ivy, I could go on.

and of course Beethoven and Mozart!

talk ya later
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Boogie Wonderland

---Earth, Wind, & Fire
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:02:50 AM EDT
[#19]
That Van Halen song set to the Blue Angels video

Whoever sings "Texas"

Best Album?  Meatloaf's "Bat Outta Hell"

I think I'll go see if the turntable still works.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Red Barchetta

Americn Pie

Wish you were here.  All tied for first.

Standing on top of the world.

Self esteem

Tied for 2nd.

And for the record.  Karen Carpenter was an exceptional singer.

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Ted Nugent - Great White Buffalo

Keep em coming guys.  I thought I already had all the good music on file.  Whenever I run across a thread like this, I turn the suggestions that you make (and I don't already have) into reality through my Klipsch ProMedias.  Keep em coming......

BTW....I wholeheartedly recommend most anything by [b]Southern Culture on the Skids[/b]. [url]http://www.scots.com/[/url] If you aren't familiar with them, start out with the following:

Haw River Stomp
Barnyard Ballbuster
Ditch Diggin'
Camel Walk
Banana Puddin'
Dirt Track Date
Voodoo Cadilac
Shotgun
Soul City

If you don't get into S.C.O.T.S., you're just a stick in the mud! [^]

Cope
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#22]
God Bless America and The SSB.
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They had a "vote" back in '90 (I think), and "Yesterday" by The Beatles won.  Great song.
View Quote

Actually it was "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones

My vote goes for "Broken Hearts Are For Assholes" Frank Zappa......... RIP

AB
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I always liked Nothing Else Matters by Metallica

But thats just me.
View Quote
Me too.

But I really like "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" by the Beatles (with Eric Clapton on guitar.)
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Danke Schoen......Wayne Newton

Danke Schoen, darling Danke Schoen. Thank you for all the joy and pain. Picture shows, second balcony, was the place we'd meet, second seat, go Dutch treat, you were sweet.

Danke Schoen, darling Danke Schoen. Thank you for walks down lovers lane. I can see, hearts carved on a tree, letters inter-twined, for all time, yours and mine, that was fine.

Danke Schoen, darling Danke Scheon. Thank you for funny cards from Spain. I recall, Central Park in fall, how you tore your dress, what a mess, I confess, thats not all.

Danke Schoen, darling Danke Schoen. Thank you for seeing me again. Though we go, on our seperate ways, still the memory stays, for always, my heart says, Danke Schoen.

Danke Schoen, Auf Wiedersehn, Danke Schoen.

OK, seriously, "The Muffin Man" by Frank Zappa
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Limehouse Blues, performed by Django Rheinhardt
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I like all kinds of music, really.

But lately, I have an obsession with Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue by Toby Keith. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it. To me, it sounds good enough to be the next national anthem.

[USA]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb

Guns n' Roses - Paradise City

AC/DC - Shook Me All Night Long
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#29]
In no particular order

GnR: paradise city
Pink Floyd: Diamond
Ted Nugent: Fred Bear
Candlebox: i can't rmember....
Cracker: Low
Rush: anything by rush!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:39:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet Child O' Mine by GNR
Plush by Stone Temple Pilots
Over The Hills and Far Away by Led Zeppelin
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#31]
There are too many great songs from the '60s and early '70s to even make an attempt at picking just one (or even 50).

It takes a lot more than just "sounding good" for a song to be "great".........
A GREAT song is one that moves you, brings back memories (both good and bad), or makes you think.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:10:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Mr Tambourine Man

As sung by William Shatner.   [BD]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 2:54:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mr Tambourine Man

As sung by William Shatner.   [BD]
View Quote

"Hey, Mr Tambourine Man...Hey! HEY!!!" [shock]

almost as bad as "Whiter Shade of Pale", as sung by Leonard Nimoy

or, worse, "Don't Fence me In" as sung by Clint Eastwood....[:D]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:19:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Obviously, you guys have never heard Charlie Daniels' "Simple Man."

Now that is a song for today!

BTW, I do not even dig country music...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Sixteen Shells From a Thirty-Ought-Six by Bob Seeger
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:23:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

BTW....I wholeheartedly recommend most anything by [b]Southern Culture on the Skids[/b]. [url]http://www.scots.com/[/url] If you aren't familiar with them, start out with the following:

Haw River Stomp
Barnyard Ballbuster
Ditch Diggin'
Camel Walk
Banana Puddin'
Dirt Track Date
Voodoo Cadilac
Shotgun
Soul City

If you don't get into S.C.O.T.S., you're just a stick in the mud! [^]

Cope
View Quote

HA! I saw them a couple of times WAY BACK IN THE DAY in college at Auburn! They were cool! Did not even know they were still around!

Ever hear of "Man or Astro Man"? Another cool assed college band from back then...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#38]
FiveO,

Yea, SCOTS is still keeping the road hot from town to town.  Take a peek at their schedule and catch a show when they come to your neck of the woods. I've seen them probably a dozen times over the years, and they just keep getting better. [8D]  

As for Man or Astro Man, that's a new one on me.  I'm doing the Kazaalite thing in as I type.  Hope it's some good stuff.  Thanks for throwing me the bone.  That's precisely what I was hoping to get out of this thread.    

Enjoy,

Cope
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Ever hear of "Man or Astro Man"? Another cool assed college band from back then...
View Quote

Time Bomb off of their live album is a current favorite with me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn, do they ever sing?  I have just listened to five in a row.  I dig the sound, but we need some lyrics here...
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Well anything that has metallica.

My guitar gently weeps - beatles
Revolution - beatles

Major Tom - David Bowie
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#42]
StairWay to Heaven
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Rush - 'Spirit of Radio'

or

Metallica - their cover of 'Whiskey in the Jar'
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:04:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There are too many great songs from the '60s and early '70s to even make an attempt at picking just one (or even 50).

It takes a lot more than just "sounding good" for a song to be "great".........
A GREAT song is one that moves you, brings back memories (both good and bad), or makes you think.
View Quote

THAT IS SOOO TRUE.  Like what the hell's happened since then you can hang your hat on with a song?  Doesn't that sound like the complete old phart.  But really that was a time when so much was happening it was easy to associate a particular song with memorable events.  Visuals like sitting in a cold San Fran garage keeping warm off the heat of the Harley motors waiting for the rain to stop and listening to Jim Morrison sing "Riders on the Storm".  It was easy.
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
[b]FREEBIRD![/b]

Hey, I'm from the south and it was my first word as a child.
Tommy
GPSS

[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url]
View Quote

Who are you and why are you following me?
Here....FREE OF CHARGE! [middle finger]

J/K!

Lots of cool choices here.  Elton John is a fantastic singer/songwriter...one of the best.  Fleetwood Mac is very cool, lots of great songs.  Modern music is cool but there isn't much out there in the way of heavy music (my preferred style) that is new and that I can relate to anymore.

For personal relatability, in chronological order I have to go with:
1.  "Metal Health"  Quiet Riot.
2.  "Me and My Wine"  little known B-Side to another great song "Bringing on the Heartbreak-Remix" by DefLeppard.
3.  "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger.  Talented guys.  The bass player/songwriter would later play in the band Damn Yankees with Ted Nugent.
4.  "Don't Tell me You Love Me" Night Ranger
5.  "Jump" Van Halen...actually the whole "1984" record.  Damn, I am dating myself!
6.  "I remember you" by Skid Row....the song+production+that guitar solo+that time of my life=big feelings.
7.  "Honestly" by Stryper  Anything by them!
8.  "End of the Line" by TNT.  Huge production value, big sound, classical tinge.  Ronnie LeTekro on guitar!
Moving into more modern stuff.....
9.  "Alive" by P.O.D.  
10.  Anything done by Michael Sweet after he left Stryper.  This guy is a class A songrwriter, singer, and guitar player.  Very versatile, does everything from dropped D heavy metal to funk, to U2 style psychedelic pop, and does it well with hooks throughout.  Was on Benson records, currently on Restless Records.  

Flame on!

Can you tell I am all about the pop?  [:)]  
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#46]
God Bless The U.S.A. - Lee Greenwood
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Talk about camaro, mullet and long sideburn tastes in music. Yech. Out of four pages I've found may be 10 songs I'd rank in the to 50.

If you're going hillbilly I'd suggest:
"Devil went down to Georgia"
or
"A country boy can survive" (the original)

For rock:

"Engel" - Rammstein (the ultimate ass-kicking song)

"You shook me all night long" AC/DC (great song, too short)

"Whiskey in the Jar" (Been out since swords were in fashion, but I like either the Flogging Molly version, or the Metallica version)

"Drunken Lullabies" Flogging Molly. (A rock-tempo Irish drinking song about old soldiers itching to fight the good fight again. GET ME MY FAL AND A PINT OF GUINNESS DAMNIT!)

"Dead or Alive" Jon Bon Jovi (Quite possibly the finest "gunslinger" song ever written)

All others:

"Somewhere Beyond the Sea" Frank Sinatra (If there is a classier, catchier love ballad ever made I've yet to hear it. It'll be the first dance at the wedding reception.)

"The Minstral Boy" Various (Probably the coolest minstral tune to survive into the modern era. If there is any other simple ballad about freedom and war I have yet to hear it. First heard it on Star Trek. Something about O'Brien and his old captain sitting on the bridge of a light crusier at red alert singing that in high harmony that sent shivers up and down my spine, like it was a part of me I'd rediscovered. The BHD version was good, but too convoluted, its ment to be a song sung by untrained, unaccompanied male voices. Simple and dirty.)

Danny Boy. Harry Connick Jr. (ONLY the one he sings IN Memphis Belle, not the crap version on the tape.)
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#48]
Metallica - One
Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Kiss - Detroit Rock City
Kiss - I wanna rock and roll all night
Quiet Riot - Cmon Feel the Noise
Yes - Owned of a lonely heart
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Damn, do they ever sing?  I have just listened to five in a row.  I dig the sound, but we need some lyrics here...
View Quote

Yeah, I should have mentioned that the only similarity the bands had was the whole college thing and my nostalgia... I recall MoAM breaking off into these sets of extended groove... Which was pretty cool back when my friends and I were all... well, groovin'! [;)]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Another one bites the dust![BD]

Outta the doorway the bullet's rip!!

BigDozer66
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top