BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw the one that landed and took off at the ANC airport way back when.
View Quote
my girlfriends mom went on the hour tourist flight, had I known I would have spent the $1100 and went
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By MyakkaVice:

Awesome, thanks for posting that!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
One of my favorite ads, ever. Love the Concorde sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JdQi60an0

That was really cool! I’ve never seen that one before. Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a flight from London to DC.

At take-off, the pilot warned that as we crossed the airport boundary he would have to throttle back, and even though it might feel like we were about to fall out of the sky, we would not. He was right, that was exactly what it felt like.

Stayed subsonic until over Past Ireland, then it went supersonic.
You could feel a thump in your back as the pilot flipped the switch on the after burner for each engine.

The Mach indicator on the bulkhead started climbing quite rapidly. Noise level was no more than a normal plane.
Once at altitude (60,000') there were a few things to notice.
One was the slight curvature of the horizon. Another was the paint slowly going dark as it heated up.
In a normal plane, if you lean against the window, it is usually very cold - these were very HOT.

Normally, at 30k' the clouds below move by quite slowly, now looking down on the clouds twice as far (or more) below, they were really whizzing by.

The interior was small/narrow by modern plane standards. Seats quite nice. but not up to first class standards - but that was less important because you wren't sitting in them for as long.

The flight was over much too fast.

----------------

Anyone wondering how I got this flight: I was flying business class from Paris to Boston.
Got to London, and my flight had been cancelled. Stood in line for reassignment ... two guys (American) in front of me were giving the ticketing agent a hard time.
Can't say I really blamed them, he was moving them from business non smoking directly to Boston into peasant class/smoking on a flight to NY with connecting flight later in the day.

My turn came, and I took pity on the agent - it wasn't his fault after all. So said "My flight seems have been cancelled, can we find anything to get me to Boston?" He looked up from his screen and smiled - I think I was the first to not scream at him or something. Anyway, he rattled a few keys and said "Hmm.. looks like the best I can do is flight to DC with connection to Boston ... the only thing is, the flight to DC is on Concorde ... is that ok?". I thought about it a few seconds, and said "I think that should work". Concorde ticket issued.

The only thing that sort of spoiled the trip a bit was that United (the connecting flight) "lost" the pilot ... don't ask me how ... and it took them four hours to find another.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
I've been on a Concord but never flown on one.  I was surprised how narrow the plane really is.  

View Quote

This, it was in a museum at the time, Duxford IWM England specifically. If you are in London, plan a day in the country just to the north to see it if you can.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at Oskosh in 1985, the first time Concorde flew in. It was my second time at Oshkosh, and as a relatively new pilot just flying myself in was quite a thrill, but nothing matched seeing that bird come in.

I had press credentials thanks to my (then) wife, and was fortunate enough to meet and talk to the pilot, John Hutchison, who was the fleet captain.  He invited me on for a tour before one of the 4 flights they had for paying passengers.  The tail number on the airframe was GB-BOAG.  I remember him joking that the plane had precisely 100 seats so that even the pilots could compute "percent occupancy".

The paying flights left Oshkosh, crossed the Canadian border into the wilderness so they could go supersonic for a brief time, and came back.  I seem to recall $550 as the price tag, but I could be mistaken.  The one way flight back to London at the end of the visit was $1650, that I do remember.  That was my airplane rental budget for a year back then.

Fast forward to November 2003 and I'm living in Seattle, still rabid about flying, and what airframe does the Museum of Flight score? Alpha Golf.  I went down the very first day the plane was available to the public. The co-pilot had placed his uniform hat in a spot into which it fit while the plane was supersonic (due to the plane lengthening with the friction of flight). Once the airframe had cooled, and shrunk, the hat was trapped in place.  I loved the homage, it seemed so cool.  The hat didn't last the first weekend the plane was on display.  Some nimnul ripped it out and made off with it.

One of my favorite airplanes.  Wish I had had the $550.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By PhilipPeake:
The flight was over much too fast. 
View Quote
That's the point, no?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:01:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dirtynails:
How much more was a ticket for the Concord compared to peasant travel?
View Quote

Tickets were $10,000
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By not_sure:

This, it was in a museum at the time, Duxford IWM England specifically. If you are in London, plan a day in the country just to the north to see it if you can.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By not_sure:
Originally Posted By wgjhsafT:
I've been on a Concord but never flown on one.  I was surprised how narrow the plane really is.  

This, it was in a museum at the time, Duxford IWM England specifically. If you are in London, plan a day in the country just to the north to see it if you can.

That’s where I saw it also.  That museum is awesome by the way. Went quite a few times during the three years I was stationed in England.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dbrowne1:
One of my favorite ads, ever. Love the Concorde sequences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4JdQi60an0

I'm a mild aviation buff, but that video's ending gave me chills. What an era!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 2:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By safes2small:
Had tickets but my flight was rescheduled then canceled due to the crash / retirement.
View Quote

Yeah, about the same.

Had ticket booked, one-way to NY. The Crash happened and was never to be.. pretty disappointing.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top