BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty stupid to have it there in the first place.
That kind of stuff is bound to happen.
View Quote

totally insane that anyone would loan something out like that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 5:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Pretty stupid to have it there in the first place.

That kind of stuff is bound to happen.
View Quote
Right? Why would you need a museum piece for a shot like that?

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
lol no shits given, eh?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up. Guitar was on loan from the Martin museum.

Link

Amidst all the violence in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film "The Hateful Eight” is the scene in which John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror.

"What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. "Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. "Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: "Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
lol no shits given, eh?  

I VERY much doubt that was the case
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Martins museum will be visited by people long after Hateful 8 is forgotten.  What?  Oh it's forgotten already.  A dog of a movie.

Martin cared about this guitar being damaged and I can't imagine what went through their minds to loan it to Tarentino for one of his movies.  A stupid decision and one fewer Martin from the 1800s remains.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm almost thinking that the Martin was some kind of dog that the museum had on hand but wasn't exactly "proud" of.  I've seen plenty of old guitars that time and men have taken their toll on.  Some to the point of not being able to be restored.  We don't know if the movie prop was a parts guitar, a one-of-a-kind treasure, or just an average example of the breed.  

What I do know is that Martin really likes to have their guitars seen on stage and screen as much as possible.  They are in the business of selling new Martins.  And a big part of that process is maintaining the Martin mystique.  So if they don't care about Tarantino trashing one of their instruments making what will be at best a B movie hitting the Red Box shortly after it's theatrical release, why should I?  

Tarantino: "CUT!  Dammit, that is a priceless Martin!"

Russell:  "Not any more."
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'm almost thinking that the Martin was some kind of dog that the museum had on hand but wasn't exactly "proud" of.  I've seen plenty of old guitars that time and men have taken their toll on.  Some to the point of not being able to be restored.  We don't know if the movie prop was a parts guitar, a one-of-a-kind treasure, or just an average example of the breed.  

What I do know is that Martin really likes to have their guitars seen on stage and screen as much as possible.  They are in the business of selling new Martins.  And a big part of that process is maintaining the Martin mystique.  So if they don't care about Tarantino trashing one of their instruments making what will be at best a B movie hitting the Red Box shortly after it's theatrical release, why should I?  

Tarantino: "CUT!  Dammit, that is a priceless Martin!"

Russell:  "Not any more."
View Quote
For a guitar that old, it almost doesn't matter if it was unplayable or made of random parts. That's why it's practically priceless.

There weren't that many to begin with and there are even less as time goes on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Guess it wasn't so priceless if the Martin guys didn't give a fuck.
View Quote

Makes me wonder if all just a publicity stunt...or these aren't rare and Martin has a closet full of them...or maybe Martin gave them a replica in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't get why they were using an almost 150 year old guitar in the first place.  Why the hell didn't they just use a replica for the entire scene?  
View Quote

Is it possible that the vintage Martin had tone that could not be duplicated?  Old Martins are 'priceless' for more than just their historical values.

Maybe Tarantino wanted to record the old Martin during the take, then smash a replica.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd wager a week's pay that Tarantino made this happen on purpose.
View Quote

Marketing.  That was my first thought.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Makes me wonder if all just a publicity stunt...or these aren't rare and Martin has a closet full of them...or maybe Martin gave them a replica in the first place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guess it wasn't so priceless if the Martin guys didn't give a fuck.

IDK but I saw the movie weeks before I heard about this and at the time I thought there was something about the actress's reaction when he rips the guitar out of her hands.  Now I know what that was.  If it was a stunt then only the director and Martin know because that actress was definitely stressed in that scene.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Staged for free press.
View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Staged for free press.

yup

Perhaps but I'm telling you the actress thought it was real.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the scene.  Action it at the end.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Martin already did the whole switcheroo without telling anyone.

Now they have two museum pieces!

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If Martin didn't actually care and said the things they say they did...maybe it was fake the whole time!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd wager a week's pay that Tarantino made this happen on purpose.

I'm leaning towards this.

On an interesting side note Tarantino admitted that all his movies were connected.  He said some of them occur in his "real real universe" and some of them occur in his "movie universe".  The "movie universe" are the movies his "real real universe" characters would go see.   So movies like Hateful 8, Kill Bill, and From Dusk Till Dawn are movies in his "real real universe".

He said one of his actors in the Hateful 8 is related to one of the characters in his "real real universe".  But he wouldn't say which one.  He said fans of his work should be able to figure it out.  

I guess I'm not a big enough fan of his work.   Does anyone who has seen Hateful 8 have any ideas what he is talking about?

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: “Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
View Quote

I'd guess that guitar was not an actual 1870 vintage guitar.  Otherwise the museum would not react that way.  So, when we go to the Martin Museum, how do we know whether we are looking at a real-deal, or a recreation?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
If KR later smashed JJL, I am jelly.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Not that I care much for guitars or anything, but for it to have been destroyed in the set of that fucking movie....so much stupid.

I saw it and left thinking....."I'm glad I didn't pay to watch this bullshit" (i had used a gift card to buy the tix)
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
lol no shits given, eh?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kirk Russell didn't get the message they were supposed to switch guitar to a fake one before he smashed it up. Guitar was on loan from the Martin museum.

Link

Amidst all the violence in Quentin Tarantino’s latest film "The Hateful Eight” is the scene in which John Ruth, played by Kurt Russell, grabs a guitar from Daisy Domergue, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh, and smashes it, eliciting horror.

"What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. "Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. "Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: "Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”
lol no shits given, eh?  

Meh, they probably paid Lloyd's of London to give shits on their behalf.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top