Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2017 1:26:26 AM EDT
The lizard thread got me wondering, how many of you dirty birds have the herp?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
IBTL
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
In on this epic StOREy
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IBTL
View Quote

Why. Its a legitimate question about a real medical condition. I was wondering what percent of Arf is afflicted.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#4]
What a morbid thing to wonder.

Besides you gotta get laid to get an STD.
So probably not too many are at risk here.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are talking about the entire family of Herpesviridae, then virtually everyone here has had at least one of the following:  HSV-1 (cold sores), HSV-2 (genital), VZV (chickenpox), EBV (mononucleosis), CMV (ditto), and HHV-6, a common childhood disease.

If you are talking about the painful sores on the genitals, then based on the rate in the general population about 1 in 8 (12.5%)

You're welcome.

ETA:  Looks like the prediction was almost dead-on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

True, true. Hard to catch anything from Mom's basement. Well... except for a case of acute loneliness.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are talking about the entire family of Herpesviridae, then virtually everyone here has had at least one of the following:  HSV-1 (cold sores), HSV-2 (genital), VZV (chickenpox), EBV (mononucleosis), CMV (ditto), and HHV-6, a common childhood disease.

If you are talking about the painful sores on the genitals, then based on the rate in the general population about 1 in 8.

You're welcome.
View Quote

And 50%-80% of Americans get cold sores. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:37:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you are talking about the painful sores on the genitals, then based on the rate in the general population about 1 in 8.

You're welcome.

ETA:  Looks like the prediction was almost dead-on.
View Quote

Well that just about wraps things up. This thread can die now.

1 in 8 of the people that I know. Huh. I know of one friend who has genital herpes. This is kind of neat to think about.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been lucky, banged a few chicks with it and apparently didn't get any on me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:42:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've been lucky, banged a few chicks with it and apparently didn't get any on me.
View Quote

It's because they weren't contagious unless they had an active infection, aka sores.

However, a small percentage of cases are asymptomatic which means that even if they don't have sores you can still get infected.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Why. Its a legitimate question about a real medical condition. I was wondering what percent of Arf is afflicted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL

The majority of infected people are asymptomatic carriers for Type 1 and to a lesser extent Type 2.  Unless antibody titers are drawn, there is no way to know outside of a clinical infection.  You'd be better off asking how many have had an actual herpes sore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:42:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBTL

The same 2/3 of the rest of the population that has it in one form or another. In this thread we learn who's a filthy liar.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:45:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

True, true. Hard to catch anything from Mom's basement. Well... except for a case of acute loneliness.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Purely from a clinical standpoint, your mom can give you Type 1 by kissing you goodnight.  Since 30% of oral herpes is actually Type 2 (thank you sexual revolution!), she can give you that too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Purely from a clinical standpoint, your mom can give you Type 1 by kissing you goodnight.  Since 30% of oral herpes is actually Type 2 (thank you sexual revolution!), she can give you that too.
View Quote

HEY!!!! Don't talk about my mom like that!
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I occasionally  had cold sores as a kid in my mouth.
Herpes. Don't know many people who have never had a cold sore.

When I was newly married (and a new nurse in the ER) I thought I was getting herpes on the goob, turned out I was getting chicken pox and I soon had total body herpes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:50:35 AM EDT
[#17]
I once had a scare. Turned out to be a ingrown hair 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:52:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people are exposed to HSV-1 when they are kids and they usually get it from other kid's drool, or something the other kid has drooled on.  So you might have gotten herpes from your sister or brother instead.

Does that make you feel better? 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thankfully, I have none of that shit.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

You probably don't have HSV-2, the virus usually responsible for genital herpes.

But I would bet my mortgage that you have antibodies to at least one other type of herpes virus.  Probably chickenpox or HSV-1.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:03:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I have herpes, which is pretty amazing since I'm currently taking immunosuppressants and I used to play with herpesviruses (HSV1, HSV2, CMV, VZV, EBV) in the good old days before laminar flow hoods and the elimination of mouth pipetting. I know I swallowed live herpes virus from a brain sample using an 0.2 mL pipet. I have had one odd disease that I think was CMV (or possibly, adenovirus-related) when I moved to SF, but it's never returned. I never had a lesion suggestive of herpes.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't think I have herpes, which is pretty amazing since I'm currently taking immunosuppressants and I used to play with herpesviruses (HSV1, HSV2, CMV, VZV, EBV) in the good old days before laminar flow hoods and the elimination of mouth pipetting. I know I swallowed live herpes virus from a brain sample using an 0.2 mL pipet. I have had one odd disease that I think was CMV (or possibly, adenovirus-related) when I moved to SF, but it's never returned. I never had a lesion suggestive of herpes.
View Quote

Only about 1/3 of the population gets recurrent herpes infections.  In the rest of the cases, the person's immune system is able to completely clear the virus and prevent recurrent infections.

I had chickenpox when I was about 3.  Never had the shingles since then, probably never will.  Since my kids had chickenpox when they were young, I have already had my "booster" shot. 
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:19:42 AM EDT
[#23]
OP left out Whitlow as well, pretty common is kids and used to be common in dental hygienist too.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:20:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had to look up "mouth pipetting". WTF

Who the hell ever thought that was a good idea in any way, for any reason?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP left out Whitlow as well, pretty common is kids and used to be common in dental hygienist too.
View Quote

I am learning so much tonight. Off to wikipedia again.

ETA - Ewwwww
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#26]
I know that nearly one third of NYC's population have the herp.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:27:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You probably don't have HSV-2, the virus usually responsible for genital herpes.

But I would bet my mortgage that you have antibodies to at least one other type of herpes virus.  Probably chickenpox or HSV-1.
View Quote

Doctors don't even really distinguish between HSV-1 and 2 anymore as both can cause sores both downstairs and upstairs.

HSV-1 is easily transmitted to genitals.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:27:52 AM EDT
[#28]
No herpes, that's nasty
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Why are you posting a picture of my cat?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Before about 1965, everybody mouth-pipetted. Labs started to switch over from mouth-pipetting to bulbs and later, to pumps precisely because of idiots like me swallowing stuff. I wouldn't have swallowed the brain sample homogenate, though, if I were paying attention. The brain sample was from a guy that died of herpes encephalitis.

But I used to be good at mouth-pipetting. It's faster and you have much more control, but I did learn to use those pumps (and motorized pumps).
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Is this what all those protesters meant today by nasty woman?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Chicken Pox is a form of herpes.
Also HPV.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Nasty
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had to look it up as well and, wow. I'm glad there are better people than me in the world.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:34:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep.

I occasionally  had cold sores as a kid in my mouth.
Herpes. Don't know many people who have never had a cold sore.

When I was newly married (and a new nurse in the ER) I thought I was getting herpes on the goob, turned out I was getting chicken pox and I soon had total body herpes.
View Quote

I have had chicken pox and shingles though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:44:08 AM EDT
[#37]
When I go out into the sun I get the herpes

ETA: I don't have it unless you count a long ago cold sore.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:52:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Obama had the Wookies
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:05:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Before about 1965, everybody mouth-pipetted. Labs started to switch over from mouth-pipetting to bulbs and later, to pumps precisely because of idiots like me swallowing stuff. I wouldn't have swallowed the brain sample homogenate, though, if I were paying attention. The brain sample was from a guy that died of herpes encephalitis.

But I used to be good at mouth-pipetting. It's faster and you have much more control, but I did learn to use those pumps (and motorized pumps).
View Quote

I've been in a lot of labs.  The last time I saw mouth pipetting was in 1989 by a woman med tech. I could not believe my eyes given the awareness at that time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:12:44 AM EDT
[#40]
It's weird how the vote here is almost the exact opposite of infection rates in the US.  I wonder how many are lying and how many just don't know.  

I know that I do not, however.  Got a pretty good battery of testing done after a run in with chlamydia, and another after a needle stick while working on the ambulance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNV0AZ13_2o

ETA: I don't have it unless you count a long ago cold sore.
View Quote

Guess what you still have?  It's a virus that doesn't go away, it only goes dormant.  It's not uncommon for folks to have a single outbreak and then their bodies produce enough antibodies to keep it under control as long as you don't throw it any curveballs i.e. sunburn, stress, some foods, etc.

ETA - If you're curious, ask you doctor to check you for HSV-1 and HSV-2 next time they draw blood.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 3:24:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I've been in a lot of labs.  The last time I saw mouth pipetting was in 1989 by a woman med tech. I could not believe my eyes given the awareness at that time.
View Quote

It isn't that bad, so long as you limit pipetting to non-hazardous materials. But, I made sure that everyone in my lab never mouth-pipetted (except me... who, when no one was watching, in a fit of rebelliousness, would mouth pipet a 'safe' solution).
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're welcome.

I don't get cold sores
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#45]
If everyone has herpes, then no one has herpes.

Lets change the status quo
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#46]
It's been a while since I looked it up but I remember reading that one in five have genital kind and that most that do have it don't know it.

By those stats I've been with 12 people that have had it. Makes me wonder sometimes if I have it and don't have symptoms
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chances are most(if not almost everyone here) has HPV more than anything else and have zero idea. Most of the people here that are claiming to not have anything may just be asymptomatic to the herp .

(Not saying you... just in general)
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#48]
farah fawcett is not amused.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#50]
A little responsibility goes a long way.  I am herp free (which leaves more room for derp )
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top