Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#1]
How much is a 2 door base with 2.7l and sasquatch?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The engine isn't even close to being the limit on towing.

The Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs with the 2.3 and the F-150 can tow 9,000 lbs with the 2.7.

The 3,500 lbs towing limit has everything to do with the wheelbase, suspension, and stability of the platform.

There's a rumor that the Bronco "brand" will get a pickup at some point to split the difference between the Bronco and Ranger and to compete against the Gladiator, but such a thing would probably take years to appear.
View Quote

Yeah, I get that. As a rule, brakes and suspension will ultimately dictate towing capacity, but I was still hoping for at least 5,000 pounds on the full size model. 3500 makes it comparable to a Wrangler or maybe a base model Tacoma; I expected that with the mini-Bronco, not the “full size”.

I’d still like a Bronco but I can’t replace my F-150 with something that can’t tow. Guess I’m going to need to keep the F-150 running a while longer.

50% or more of my personal trucks use is towing my boat back and forth to the coast.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I gotta say it...

Ford knocked it out of the park.

I see people complaining that 2.7 EB isn't "enough." Well that's tarded. The amount of power that V6 is putting into that size SUV is nuts. I can understand being disappointed in no NA options, but to act as if that engine is lacking is laughable. And nobody even seriously thought we would get it, so fucking bonus!

No 7 speed with the v6? Eh, I get it but honestly I don't think this is the right application for one anyways. If you want to crawl the 4cyl is perfectly capable, and if you want mo powah the auto will suit the driving style better. If you find yourself attached to the manual just get the 4cyl and tune it. They get crazy power out of the 4cyl in the Mustangs.

They took every aspect of the Wrangler & made it better designed, higher quality(at least it appears to be and their track record with the F series and Ranger would indicate it to be), and cheaper. The ONLY thing you can knock it for in comparison to the Jeep is not having a SFA. Personally, I don't need a SFA, so IDGAF.

Also, the Sport. I wrote it off as the mainstream "I want a Bronco but I live in the city and at most I'll drive down a gravel road once a year-mobile." It actually looks like a well thought out mainstream SUV, and more of a true SUV than CUV. Color me impressed.

I cant wait to see the factory add-on's for both.

Shit, let the Ranger follow the same ideas & let me get a lower trim with some lockers instead of having to buy a Raptor Ranger (whenever they get around to that...) or ZR2 and I'll happily get rid of my Colorado.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 1:40:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that. As a rule, brakes and suspension will ultimately dictate towing capacity, but I was still hoping for at least 5,000 pounds on the full size model. 3500 makes it comparable to a Wrangler or maybe a base model Tacoma; I expected that with the mini-Bronco, not the “full size”.

I’d still like a Bronco but I can’t replace my F-150 with something that can’t tow. Guess I’m going to need to keep the F-150 running a while longer.

50% or more of my personal trucks use is towing my boat back and forth to the coast.
View Quote

"Full size" Broncos were based on the F series. This is not a full size, it's based on the Ranger, even if its bigger than the "baby bronco" Bronco Sport.

The Bronco is in direct competition with the Wrangler, not the trucks, so it's tow rating is good in regards to it's competition.

Maybe we'll get lucky and a F series version will come out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs with the 2.3 and the F-150 can tow 9,000 lbs with the 2.7.

The 3,500 lbs towing limit has everything to do with the wheelbase, suspension, and stability of the platform.

There's a rumor that the Bronco "brand" will get a pickup at some point to split the difference between the Bronco and Ranger and to compete against the Gladiator, but such a thing would probably take years to appear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m pretty letdown on the towing capacity and engine options. I was looking forward to buying a new Bronco to replace my 5.0 F-150 when it finally gives up, but with the current offerings, it can’t tow my boat. 3500lbs towing is very underwhelming.

Maybe they’ll offer a V8 or a bigger EB option later on.

Still - the towing capability is a huge letdown, when the Gladiator can be had in offroad capable trim and tow 7,650lb.

I saw the release and was extremely excited, had pretty much decided a 4 door Bronco would be my next ride. That tow rating gives me serious pause though.

3,500lb is worthless when my 2005 V-6 4Runner is rated for 5,000lb and is only limited to that by being underpowered and not having the beefier hitch the V-8 4Runner came with that same year (and I can upgrade to the bigger hitch with OEM parts for $500). My wife's GX460 is rated for 7,000lb, and that rating is standardized with SAE J2807 just like the Bronco's. Those are both short wheelbase SUV's as well, shorter actually (109.8" vs 118.4" for a 4-door Bronco)

A fucking 2020 Honda Odyssey minivan is rated to tow 3,500lb.

I get that this is a Wrangler competitor, and that tow rating is competitive with the Wrangler - but that is too low for me.

As I type this - I'm looking at Ford's website, and it actually says TBD under Max Trailer Weight if you select any of the packages and scroll deep into the Specifications tab. But it does state that it will have a Class II hitch - which is limited to a 3,500lb trailer. So perhaps there is hope of an optional towing package with a Class III hitch and a higher tow rating, or an aftermarket Class III hitch to up the rating. The 3,500lb rating right now appears to be based on nothing but the Class II hitch limitations.

I'd gladly trade some of the off-road capability for a 5-6,000lb tow rating, if such a package was offered.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I gotta say it...

I see people complaining that 2.7 EB isn't "enough." Well that's tarded. The amount of power that V6 is putting into that size SUV is nuts. I can understand being disappointed in no NA options, but to act as if that engine is lacking is laughable. And nobody even seriously thought we would get it, so fucking bonus!

No 7 speed with the v6? Eh, I get it but honestly I don't think this is the right application for one anyways. If you want to crawl the 4cyl is perfectly capable, and if you want mo powah the auto will suit the driving style better. If you find yourself attached to the manual just get the 4cyl and tune it. They get crazy power out of the 4cyl in the Mustangs.

They took every aspect of the Wrangler & made it better designed, higher quality(at least it appears to be and their track record with the F series and Ranger would indicate it to be), and cheaper. The ONLY thing you can knock it for in comparison to the Jeep is not having a SFA. Personally, I don't need a SFA, so IDGAF.

Also, the Sport. I wrote it off as the mainstream "I want a Bronco but I live in the city and at most I'll drive down a gravel road once a year-mobile." It actually looks like a well thought out mainstream SUV, and more of a true SUV than CUV. Color me impressed.

Shit, let the Ranger follow the same ideas & let me get a lower trim with some lockers instead of having to buy a Raptor Ranger (whenever they get around to that...) or ZR2 and I'll happily get rid of my Colorado.
View Quote

Basically my opinion.  Ford nailed it and I was 100% certain they would fuck it up.  Plenty of power, 35s, lockers at all trims.... not much left to be desired.

jeep will market the SFA, and they should cause it most likely will have a bit better articulation, but that's all they got now and you have to pay the premium to get the axles worth it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested, but i have a 10k trailer to tow sometimes. Already have a new F350...can't afford another new ride

2-door, manual trans is what I'd be after
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Basically my opinion.  Ford nailed it and I was 100% certain they would fuck it up.  Plenty of power, 35s, lockers at all trims.... not much left to be desired.

jeep will market the SFA, and they should cause it most likely will have a bit better articulation, but that's all they got now and you have to pay the premium to get the axles worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I gotta say it...

Yes, they did. Thats the irritating part about Ford. When they really want to they can build some incredible vehicles, like this new Bronco. They looked at the Jeeps, looked at the wants from Jeep owners. Then they basically made a vehicle that is just about perfect paper. Now it is all about how durable they are and what the reliability is.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live by a Ford plant and on Friday I seen a midsize SUV in that wacky camo and covers all over the sides.

Figured it was the new Bronco.

View Quote

You seen it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 3:29:45 AM EDT
[#10]
They had me at Mlok dash cam mounts:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:15:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Production spring 2021??!  Realistically you wont get it till late 21 or 22.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:21:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I gotta say it...

I see people complaining that 2.7 EB isn't "enough." Well that's tarded.
View Quote

It is tarded. The jeep 3.6 is 285hp/260t but ford is kickin it with 325hp and 400 torque! Thats massive power especially for a 2dr.

I like my 3.6 its plenty of power, but a boosted v6 wpuld be nice. Seems ford is picking up jeeps slack.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:44:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It is tarded. The jeep 3.6 is 285hp/260t but ford is kickin it with 325hp and 400 torque! Thats massive power especially for a 2dr.

I like my 3.6 its plenty of power, but a boosted v6 wpuld be nice. Seems ford is picking up jeeps slack.
View Quote

The 3.6 in the JL impressed me. Sure, it ain't a Hellcat, but who buys a Jeep Wrangler for that?

Sure as shit was more fun to drive than the 3.8 or 4.0, and I even have a soft spot for inline engines...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 6:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm impressed with the Bronco.  Sammich maker wants a Badlands 4 dr with the 2.7 and 35's, Samsquatch pkg in antimatter blue...
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm impressed with the Bronco.  Sammich maker wants a Badlands 4 dr with the 2.7 and 35's, Samsquatch pkg in antimatter blue...
View Quote

Badlands looks pretty good.  But I only can price and build the sport on the webpage
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like Ford has done an outstanding job of making a real Wrangler competitor! And, I say that as a Jeep guy.

Hopefully, this will give FCA a kick in the ass and make them improve the Wrangler.

I didn't get to see the actual introduction, but caught some youtube stuff that looked like Ford-produced promo vids with rock climbers and other people.

I thought the onboard door storage was a cool idea.

Now, to see how well they do on the trail! It would be nice if the magazine writers would do some actual off-roading that wasn't simply a flat dirt road.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The 3.6 in the JL impressed me. Sure, it ain't a Hellcat, but who buys a Jeep Wrangler for that?
View Quote

An 8spd auto behind the 3.6 makes for moar better. Its the only thing worth trading up from a JKU......was temped but I dont buy v1.0 of anything.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

An 8spd auto behind the 3.6 makes for moar better. Its the only thing worth trading up from a JKU......was temped but I dont buy v1.0 of anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear ya on not buying v1.0...got a cruddy '03 Eddie Bauer Expy 4x4 , first year of redesign...lots of issues
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#19]
The towing figures are a head scratcher.  It's basically a Ranger under the sheet metal - albeit with a 10 in. shorter wheelbase.  

I wouldn't have thought that 10" would make 4,000 lbs of difference (3,500 vs. 7,500) in towing capacity, but what do I know.  

2.7 in my F-150 is fine power wise.  Frankly for an "off road" vehicle rated to tow 3,500 the 2.7 is substantially more power than you really need.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The towing figures are a head scratcher.  It's basically a Ranger under the sheet metal - albeit with a 10 in. shorter wheelbase.  

I wouldn't have thought that 10" would make 4,000 lbs of difference (3,500 vs. 7,500) in towing capacity, but what do I know.  

2.7 in my F-150 is fine power wise.  Frankly for an "off road" vehicle rated to tow 3,500 the 2.7 is substantially more power than you really need.
View Quote

People think you should be able to tow a 5th wheel with one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think Ford didn't figure anyone would care about tow ratings up front on this release. I don't think the actual rating will be 3,500lb.

If you pick any of the submodels on the Ford webpage and scroll way down in the Specifications tab, they all say "TBD" under Max Trailer Tow Rating. Right next to that, it says Class II trailer hitch. A Class II hitch is the ridiculously small 1.25" square receiver instead of the 2" you see on Class III, IV, and V. Class II hitches are limited to 3,500lb.

So, the 3,500lb rating is limited by the hitch itself right now.

Generally, with an early vehicle announcement like this - they haven't completed the MPG or tow rating (SAE J2807) testing yet.

Basically, I'm really hoping there is at least a tow package option that has a Class III hitch with a 5-7,000lb tow rating announced before release.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, but I expect pretty much any body-on-frame vehicle to be rated for at least 5,000lb.

A 2020 Honda Odyssey minivan is rated for 3,500lb
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#23]
ahhh, no more than 32k OTD fully loaded with everything.  

I imagine you'll be seeing Raptor pricing in reality.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No, but I expect pretty much any body-on-frame vehicle to be rated for at least 5,000lb.

View Quote

It’s not a truck. If you want to do truck stuff get a truck.  Everyone keeps comparing the gladiator which is a truck. If that’s what you need go that way.

What’s a wrangler tow?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It’s not a truck. If you want to do truck stuff get a truck.  Everyone keeps comparing the gladiator which is a truck. If that’s what you need go that way.

What’s a wrangler tow?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What’s a wrangler tow?

A Wrangler is rated for the same 3,500lb.

I get it - this is a Wrangler competitor and it matches the Wrangler in the towing department. But that low tow rating is one of the reasons I don't drive a Wrangler, and a big reason why the Gladiator is on my list of potential next vehicles.

I was really excited for the Bronco, and assumed that because it was Ranger-based it would get at least a 5,000lb tow rating. That's really the minimum I need, unless I write off my vehicle as the "fun" one and use only the GX460 - which I may do, but that decision requires further consideration.

I'm just disappointed - as at least a 5k tow rating would have made the Bronco an easy choice - it has absolutely everything else I would want.

I'm still holding out hope that the Class II hitch is the real limitation and there will be a Tow Package that upgrades to a Class III hitch and 5k tow rating.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:21:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I am intrested to see how the new Ram charger stacks up to the Bronco next year
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you know what architecture it will be built on ?

Grand Cherokee/Durango, or something like the 1500 Ram Truck?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not seeing anything official from FCA on a Ramcharger. Just a rendering done by "some dude".
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Gonna be lots of folks learning to drive stick shifts.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone know what the weights are? I dont see anything on the site for them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Anyone know what the weights are? I dont see anything on the site for them.
View Quote

Official numbers not released yet to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Think I'd want a base model with the Daryl package.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Fucking gross...

Ford site only lists the 1.5l and 2.0l engines as an option, and only the 8 speed automatic (trash transmission IMO) is available.

Talk about a swing and a miss.

ETA: That looks like the bronco sport. Still a huge miss IMO.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Think I'd want a base model with the Darryl package.
View Quote
I guess I want a Black Diamond because I want rubber floors and vinyl seats.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

Ford site only lists the 1.5l and 2.0l engines as an option, and only the 8 speed automatic (trash transmission IMO) is available.

View Quote

The sport is a cute ute renegade competitor. Who cares?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

View Quote
That's the cuck-uv they're releasing alongside the real Bronco.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:14:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

True enough.

With the big bronco though, where's the V8?
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How much is a 2 door base with 2.7l and sasquatch?
View Quote

YEP forget about SXS Polaris
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...dirty dogs...get rubber & vinyl
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Just like my truck.  I can just open both doors and blow the dog hair out with the air compressor
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

View Quote

Lol.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
True enough.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

True enough.

That 2.7 makes more horsepower and torque than super cars did for almost 30 years. I’m good with 300+hp and 400 lb/ft.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yep.  Just like my truck.  I can just open both doors and blow the dog hair out with the air compressor
View Quote

I use a leaf blower, but yeah, it's awesome
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That 2.7 makes more horsepower and torque than super cars did for almost 30 years. I’m good with 300+hp and 400 lb/ft.
View Quote

That's without a tune, too.

V8s are awesome, but I'll take torque wherever I can get it in today's EPA bullshit climate.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:23:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Flexing on one of my ford dealers to order one.

My dad wants a first edition 4dr.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

V8s are awesome, but I'll take torque wherever I can get it in today's EPA bullshit climate.
View Quote

So true. I wish we could abolish the EPA and go back to the old days when America was great.

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So true. I wish we could abolish the EPA and go back to the old days when America was great.

https://miro.medium.com/max/2400/1*Z9yPhk9UN0Me0J-NEfWhZQ.jpeg
View Quote

Amen. Maybe one day brother.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
True enough.

View Quote

Back in the 60's, gramps.

2.7l makes 300+ hp and 400 ft lbs of torque, that is better than V8's that are less than a decade old. The bonus of FI also means it will make that power at elevation.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 2:42:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking gross...

True enough.

The 2.3 murders the V8 in my 77 Bronco. If I was more technically inclined I’ve actually thought it would make a great swap into my rig. The 3.5 would be a beast and has been done already but that 2.3 would be cool too. Probably get decent mileage.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top