Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#1]
How fast can the U.S. deploy M1 Abrams tanks anywhere on earth?
View Quote

IF WE NEED THEM, from the time the order is given? I bet 48 hours.

IF WE NEED THEM, from the time the public knows about it? less than 24 hrs..

FOR OUR ALLIES, a week(ish)..

but they'll be there for several days (weeks) before any confirmation of their presence is leaked out, if for no other reason than to downplay our nimbleness.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why?

Theyre needed like yesterday, so yes.

This is what happens when people get behind something and move mountains.

Just like when Covid hit and we were all going to die and PPE was in huge demand
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is so bad...

Why?

Quoted:
As much as this Country is sucking the Ukraine cock, they will probably fly every one of them over there.

All worth it to support The Ukraine, we should give them the cargo planes too.

Theyre needed like yesterday, so yes.

This is what happens when people get behind something and move mountains.

Just like when Covid hit and we were all going to die and PPE was in huge demand

that was all based on lies, how do we know this isn't as well?
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Where did all the M-1'z the Marines turn in years ago end up?

and yes, per the Reforger doctrine, there's always going to be tons of stuff
prepositioned in Europe.

ETA; we had some armored units in Poland years ago doing joint exercises; i thought some of
them stayed?

ETA II: speaking of 155mm rounds, you think they're heavy in a plane, try loading them into the
ready rack of a 155SP howitzer,,,,
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I’d heard the same thing. I’m curious if we have an Air Force Loadmaster around who could chime in
View Quote

My nephew is a loadmaster in Africa right now. Out of contact for me but i'll be interested when he gets back around April if he did any of the transport.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So, you can say with confidence there are no US servicemen in the Ukraine now or in the future?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I guess that we will officially have troops on the ground, exposed to Putin's nukes or bio weapons.....
 You should post less often if this is what you believe.

So, you can say with confidence there are no US servicemen in the Ukraine now or in the future?

I can say with confidence that no US service members are going to exposed to Nukes or Bio weapons in Ukraine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember this?

They really do play the long game.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Two to a C-5 or one per C-17 if I remember right.
View Quote

From where to where.  In the 70s the Air Force said a C5 departing Peterson AFB (Colorado Springs) could only take off with one M60A1 (52 tons) but now they can take off with 2 M1s (~140 tons)?  That lead to a lot of Army (4ID) and AF (MAC) pissing contests.  The AF won.

That is one of the reasons we had POMCUS stocks in Europe and an island in Asia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

ETA II: speaking of 155mm rounds, you think they're heavy in a plane, try loading them into the
ready rack of a 155SP howitzer,,,,
View Quote

That's OK.  All those female 13Bs they recruited will be there to 'help'.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The problem isn't getting them there or training troops. It's allocating the right export models or downgrading ours as they need to be stripped of all sensitive US military tech, the armor packages for our tanks are also non exportable. All foreign export M1s are purposely downgraded and for good reason.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

From where to where.  In the 70s the Air Force said a C5 departing Peterson AFB (Colorado Springs) could only take off with one M60A1 (52 tons) but now they can take off with 2 M1s (~140 tons)?  That lead to a lot of Army (4ID) and AF (MAC) pissing contests.  The AF won.

That is one of the reasons we had POMCUS stocks in Europe and an island in Asia.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two to a C-5 or one per C-17 if I remember right.

Good question, although the C-5 has gotten two new sets of engines since the 70s giving them about 25% more thrust.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Tanks transported by train in Kansas after Biden announces M1 Abrams support for Ukraine

A day before Joe Biden announced that the US was to supply 31 M1 Abrams to Ukraine, a freight train was spotted transporting dozens of tanks in Kansas.
A clip from 24 January shows the military vehicles being pulled by a train approximately one mile west of Gorham on Highway 40.

Other armoured vehicles such as personnel carriers were also being transported.

Video of train.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
General Dynamics Land Systems to Provide Abrams Tanks to Poland Under $1.1 Billion Foreign Military Sales Order
August 25, 2022
Polish Army to receive 250 tanks in the state-of-the-art M1A2 SEPv3 configuration

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. – General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), announced today that the U.S. Army has awarded it a Foreign Military Sales order worth up to $1.148 billion to deliver 250 M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams main battle tanks to Poland.

The state-of-the-art M1A2 SEPv3 configuration features technological advancements in communications, fire control and lethality, reliability, sustainment and fuel efficiency, plus upgraded armor. Additionally, the SEPv3 Abrams is designed to seamlessly accept future upgrades.

“We are pleased to have been chosen to provide this critical armored capability to our allies in Poland,” said Chris Brown, vice president of global strategy and international business development at General Dynamics Land Systems. “The M1A2 SEPv3 Abrams is the most advanced main battle tank in the world, and we look forward to getting it into the hands of Polish Soldiers.”
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#13]
While components of the Stryker and Namer are built from scratch in Lima, a brand new Abrams tank hasn't rolled off the line since 1996. Instead, mothballed Abrams are delivered from defense storage, stripped down, and refashioned in the latest configuration. Right now that's the 70-ton Abrams M1A2 SEPv3.

Putting together a battle tank is no small feat. It takes five months to produce a single Abrams. The plant currently completes eight of them a month. A few years ago, only one was coming off the line just to keep it warm. With the hiring of hundreds more workers, General Dynamics expects to get up to 34 a month.

MAR 17, 2019

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/lima-tank-plant/

Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tanks transported by train in Kansas after Biden announces M1 Abrams support for Ukraine

A day before Joe Biden announced that the US was to supply 31 M1 Abrams to Ukraine, a freight train was spotted transporting dozens of tanks in Kansas.
A clip from 24 January shows the military vehicles being pulled by a train approximately one mile west of Gorham on Highway 40.

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA16MbcV.img?w=768&h=433&m=6

Video of train.
View Quote
That picture makes it look like they are just moving through the sky.  It took me a minute to realize that's snow on the bottom.    
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

All the Marine Tankers in Desert Storm that I saw/ran across still were using the M60's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the USMC was given M1A1s just prior to Desert Storm kicking off, the tankers and their support crews had about two weeks to get trained up for the fight. This was a reserve unit IIRC and they proceeded to tear the Iraqis a new asshole. Granted, those Marines were already tankers but the transition from the old dinosaur M60A1s to the M1A1 was significant. I think the Ukrainians will get up to speed very quickly.

All the Marine Tankers in Desert Storm that I saw/ran across still were using the M60's.

I didn't see a single USMC Abrams when I was there.

M60A1s with bolt on reactive armor is what I saw.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AA16MbcV.img?w=768&h=433&m=6

Video of train.
View Quote

Ewww, who still has tan vehicles.

Hope they have fun at NTC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 6:40:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I’m not sure the MPS fleet was Marine specific.
View Quote

In Somalia, all our hummers we offloaded in 1992 were USMC variants.  There was a platoon of M1A1's in Mogadishu from the RCT but I don't recall if there was a USMC variant back then.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top