User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It was about flour.  Hard flour with more gluten was used for bread.  Soft flour with less gluten was used for lighter baked goods like cake.  Cake flour was a luxury and was taxed, but bread flour was seen as a necessity for life and not taxed or not taxed as heavily.  When there was a shortage of bread flour leaving people short of basic food, the monarchy said "let them eat cake" meaning to temporarily lift the tax on cake flour so everyone could afford flour to bake something for daily eating.  Or so the story goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever actually said "Let them eat cake,"  for much of my life I thought the word "cake" referred to a sweet, baked confection.  I learned otherwise at about age 40.

It was about flour.  Hard flour with more gluten was used for bread.  Soft flour with less gluten was used for lighter baked goods like cake.  Cake flour was a luxury and was taxed, but bread flour was seen as a necessity for life and not taxed or not taxed as heavily.  When there was a shortage of bread flour leaving people short of basic food, the monarchy said "let them eat cake" meaning to temporarily lift the tax on cake flour so everyone could afford flour to bake something for daily eating.  Or so the story goes.

Dude.

This wasn't the dark ages, we literally have the quote from Rousseau (and Rousseau was merely writing an already-existing, possibly apocryphal anecdote of some allegedly historical figure). Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.

Brioche is not a mystery, nor is the fact it uses standard all purpose flour.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It was a huge deal. Orson Wells discussed it repeatedly on several of his shows.
View Quote

He promoted something he did? No way.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe all but 6.
They definitely wore horns!
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but did Catherine the Great really visit the stables for romance?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Considering that even they don't have a comprehensive record of everything she said, no.

And even that article doesn't give a definitive answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.  Marie Antoinette never actually uttered the famous phrase “let them eat cake,” in response to learning that her subjects were starving that’s so often attributed to her. In fact, it was first published in Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and attributed to “a great princess.” At the time, Marie Antoinette would’ve been just nine years old.

[Citation needed]

Is Encyclopedia Britannica credible enough ?

https://www.britannica.com/story/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

Considering that even they don't have a comprehensive record of everything she said, no.

We do know that the story predates her reign.

Do you need proof that Rousseau's book exists?

Here's the full paragraph as I found translated online at project Gutenberg:

https://gutenberg.org/cache/epub/3913/pg3913-images.html

I had quite lost my inclination for little thieveries while with Madam de Warens; indeed, as everything belonged to me, there was nothing to steal; besides, the elevated notions I had imbibed ought to have rendered me in future above such meanness, and generally speaking they certainly did so; but this rather proceeded from my having learned to conquer temptations, than having succeeded in rooting out the propensity, and I should even now greatly dread stealing, as in my infancy, were I yet subject to the same inclinations. I had a proof of this at M. Malby’s, when, though surrounded by a number of little things that I could easily have pilfered, and which appeared no temptation, I took it into my head to covert some white Arbois wine, some glasses of which I had drank at table, and thought delicious. It happened to be rather thick, and as I fancied myself an excellent finer of wine, I mentioned my skill, and this was accordingly trusted to my care, but in attempting to mend, I spoiled it, though to the sight only, for it remained equally agreeable to the taste. Profiting by this opportunity, I furnished myself from time to time with a few bottles to drink in my own apartment; but unluckily, I could never drink without eating; the difficulty lay therefore, in procuring bread. It was impossible to make a reserve of this article, and to have it brought by the footman was discovering myself, and insulting the master of the house; I could not bear to purchase it myself; how could a fine gentleman, with a sword at his side, enter a baker’s shop to buy a small loaf of bread? it was utterly impossible. At length I recollected the thoughtless saying of a great princess, who, on being informed that the country people had no bread, replied, “Then let them eat pastry!” Yet even this resource was attended with a difficulty. I sometimes went out alone for this very purpose, running over the whole city, and passing thirty pastry cook’s shops, without daring to enter any one of them. In the first place, it was necessary there should be only one person in the shop, and that person’s physiognomy must be so encouraging as to give me confidence to pass the threshold; but when once the dear little cake was procured, and I shut up in my chamber with that and a bottle of wine, taken cautiously from the bottom of a cupboard, how much did I enjoy drinking my wine, and reading a few pages of a novel; for when I have no company I always wish to read while eating; it seems a substitute for society, and I dispatch alternately a page and a morsel; ‘tis indeed, as if my book dined with me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Westerners today are tall by historical standards.
View Quote

Family Guy - The Second Coming Of Jesus
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.  Marie Antoinette never actually uttered the famous phrase "let them eat cake," in response to learning that her subjects were starving that's so often attributed to her. In fact, it was first published in Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and attributed to "a great princess." At the time, Marie Antoinette would've been just nine years old.

[Citation needed]

https://www.britannica.com/story/did-marie-antoinette-really-say-let-them-eat-cake

Who has a comprehensive record of everything anyone has said?

The fact that the phrase was published in a book well before she could have said it, along with the absence of any real evidence she actually said it, is pretty definitive IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The fact that the phrase was published in a book well before she could have said it, along with the absence of any real evidence she actually said it, is pretty definitive IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.  Marie Antoinette never actually uttered the famous phrase "let them eat cake," in response to learning that her subjects were starving that's so often attributed to her. In fact, it was first published in Confessions by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and attributed to "a great princess." At the time, Marie Antoinette would've been just nine years old.

[Citation needed]

I dunno man, he may have a point.

And that viking helmet thing?

Until we've accounted for every helmet ever worn by a viking, we can never really know for sure.

I also think maybe Mattel did make M16s. I haven't personally checked every lower receiver ever made, and every factory Mattel ever owned.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Until we've accounted for every helmet ever worn by a viking, we can never really know for sure.

I also think maybe Mattel did make M16s. I haven't personally checked every lower receiver ever made, and every factory Mattel ever owned.

View Quote

This is how science works
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I never speak in absolutes

Quoted:

Precisely the reason that claiming someone never said something is foolhardy.

If it was published in a book before she could have said it would seem to make it more likely that she might have said it at some point since the quote had already been put to paper
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it was published in a book before she could have said it would seem to make it more likely that she might have said it at some point since the quote had already been put to paper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So, she had read Rousseau, knew how that quote was used as an example of an out of touch royal, and then, when addressed with the same problem a decade or more late, worded the same way by a staffer, she thought, "yes, I have the perfect reply for this! I memorized it some time ago just for this occasion!"

Then, someone overheard it and wrote it down, wholly unaware that Rousseau had written it over a decade prior.

Makes perfect sense.

Trust Sessions. Trust the plan.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:42:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait - Real Science or Junk Science, let's keep this straight

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So, she had read Rousseau, knew how that quote was used as an example of an out of touch royal, and then, when addressed with the same problem a decade or more late, worded the same way by a staffer, she thought, "yes, I have the perfect reply for this! I memorized it some time ago just for this occasion!"

Then, someone overheard it and wrote it down, wholly unaware that Rousseau had written it over a decade prior.

Makes perfect sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes perfect sense.

Maybe.

Prove she didn't

Quoted:

Wait - Real Science or Junk Science, let's keep this straight

Well, science doesn't tend to take a lack of evidence as proof of non existence, soo
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Maybe.

Prove she didn't
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes perfect sense.

Maybe.

Prove she didn't

There is as much proof she said it as there is that Abraham Lincoln warned about quotes on the internet, or said that everything is a dildo if you're brave enough.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's just fact
View All Quotes

Chisums post tags a study - there's other info that indicated late 40s avg but it's not in Gies books, or Mortimers, which is where I thought it was. Regardless def not 60+.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

3 The stereotypical image of a Viking is that of a dirty, barbaric, unruly haired man enthused by the prospect of pillaging any and every foreign city. But contrary to popular belief, the Vikings were no savages at all; in fact, they preferred to keep their hair well-groomed and they were known for bathing far more often than their Anglo-Saxon neighbors.

View Quote

The 13th Warrior would beg to differ:

Disgusting Viking "hygiene"
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 8:56:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There is as much proof she said it as there is that Abraham Lincoln warned about quotes on the internet, or said that everything is a dildo if you're brave enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes perfect sense.

Maybe.

Prove she didn't

I'd say there's little likelihood of Lincoln saying anything about  the internet since that word was coined long after his death.

Dildo, however, is a possibility since it was in use during his lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
None of them, I actually read history books......and not the myth books prevalent in public schools.
View Quote

That's bait.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He likes rape.
View Quote

9 out of 10 people like (gang) rape.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't care about those.

I do want my Willys Jeep new in the crate for $25. I was told that was absolutely true.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top