Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/7/2023 7:53:46 PM EDT
Those little birds are a hoot to watch, their movements are crazy quick.  I'm easily entertained.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#1]
They are great fun, aggressive too. My bottle brush tree is dying, shame because they loved it and it was a great place to sit.

It’s funny when the tough ones will square off against you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a hummingbird feeder. Have fed them for years. The same ones come back every year. It is pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are great fun, aggressive too. My bottle brush tree is dying, shame because they loved it and it was a great place to sit.

View Quote

They don't sit for long.  Fuckers burn some energy that's for sure.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep they're fascinating animals. They go into a type of hibernation to sleep. Due to their metabolism they're within less than a day of starving to death at all times.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:07:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, they are fun to watch.
My feeder not only attracts Hummingbirds, but it also seems to attract Ladderback Woodpeckers...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Dumb as a box of rocks

I swear they’re sexually attracted to fire

Fun to watch though!
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I love the hummingbirds that hang around my feeders.
There's one that will sometimes perch on my shoulder while I'm watering down my trees.
The coolest creatures in back yard are these guys.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dumb as a box of rocks

Fun to watch though!
View Quote

What is the IQ of a hummingbird?  Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

You aren't? That sounds like a terrible way to live!
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There's one that will sometimes perch on my shoulder while I'm watering down my trees.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/hummingbird-moth-AdobeStock_271173842-944x630.jpeg
View Quote
I believe that is not a hummingbird but rather a moth
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
We normally have a couple dozen of them but this year we only have 2 birds
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#15]
The last few years we've had as many as five different ones.  This year only one has come by a few times.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Only feed them white sugar.  1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Boil to dissolve the sugar.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I live in central Wa. state; what is the best feeder and feed to buy?
 Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I like watching them fight over the feeders.  3 feeders yet they still fight like little fighter Jets over them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Awesome pics, thank you.  The birds here are mostly black and not real colorful but still beautiful.
View Quote

The only species we have is the Ruby-throated.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Some of my favorite animals in the universe. A miracle of nature.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/hummingbird-moth-AdobeStock_271173842-944x630.jpeg

You are correct
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Hummingbirds are very cool, but…

Sweat bees are the drone of nature
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those things are cool.  Had a ton of them a few years ago and never saw another one since.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Only feed them white sugar.  1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Boil to dissolve the sugar.
View Quote
This. Been doing it for years. I can hold the feeder and they will stand on my thumbs. I had 3 feeders at one time and would go through a quart a day.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have Calliopes, fun little buggers.  They will come find me when they get here in the spring and chew my ass for not having the feeder up yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#26]
They even have a cool chirp
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep, they are fun to watch.
My feeder not only attracts Hummingbirds, but it also seems to attract Ladderback Woodpeckers...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Hummingbird_jpg-2877408.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Ladderback_2022-02-26_0011_jpg-2877409.JPG
View Quote

This year, I learned they also attract Orioles.  Damn thing flew up, landed, looking exactly like the ball cap, and causing the whole feeder to list 30 degrees...

Hummingbirds are hilarious.  Tiny balls of feathers and HATE.  It's like watching a live-action version of the video game Joust, mixed with a Norris playoff hockey game.  They hit each other with an audible "clack!"

Story time.  I bought a jack fruit from H-Mart.  Which will make your entire place smell like Juicy-Fruit gum as it ripens.  Ended up taking some of the sweet seed covers/pulp and making daiquiries with them.  We had a hummingbird feeder hanging at one end of our balcony.  I sat at the other, with my jackfruit daiquiri and watched the airshow.  Evidently, jack fruit smells like the best thing ever to a hummingbird.  More than one flew up to my glass, saw me, freaked out, and zoomed away chirping angrily.

All of ours left after May.  They'll be back in August/September.   We've a couple of orange blossoming vines crawling high up the pine trees across from our current place.  When I see hummers flitting among them, I'll refill the feeder and watch the show.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:25:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Hummingbird Pool Party Number Five – LONG VERSION!
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Imagine how fucking scary they would be if they had a 6 foot wingspan.

What round for mutant humming bird?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have Calliopes, fun little buggers.  They will come find me when they get here in the spring and chew my ass for not having the feeder up yet.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27773/IMG_0452_jpeg-2877505.JPG
View Quote

The part where they fly up to your patio window, and start looking inside as they fly up, over, down, chirping the entire time...is rather bossy.  Damn though, can a pack deplete a feeder quickly.  Good thing we both work from home.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:28:26 PM EDT
[#31]
My hummers were two months late this year and I was concerned. They are here now though and the hummingbird fights are entertaining.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
My hummers were two months late this year and I was concerned. They are here now though and the hummingbird fights are entertaining.
View Quote

Yeah, they most certainly are territorial!!

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Walela (hummingbird) is part of many important stories in our tribe: https://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/HummingbirdBringsBackTobacco-Cherokee.html
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#35]

I had to paint my garage door pulls from red to black because they kept on coming in, thinking they were getting a snack.

Sad to watch a small swarm of hornets trying to get out, but they always figured it out.

Are they nature's drones?
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I live in central Wa. state; what is the best feeder and feed to buy?
 Thank you.
View Quote

Whatever feeder- for summer, 1 part sugar to 4 parts water as already mentioned.  I don’t think central WA has them in the winter, but they stick around the coast and west side.  When it is well below freezing it can be some work to keep feeders going, they really need the help then.  Crazy to see them in the snow and ice, we did not have the same species around when I was a kid, with feeders they have decided to stick around all year now.

The Anna’s are the ones that stick around, the Rufous ones still migrate in and out.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I’ve got a few feeders, and it’s always fun watching different ones fighting with each other over them.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Possibly a Sphinx Moth.  They're called Hawaiian hummingbirds here as thats the closest thing we have to the real thing.  Come out near sunset to pollinate the rarer native plants and move just like hummingbirds but only an inch and a half or so in body length.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Put up a couple of feeders, you can have them literally eating out of one held in your hand in a matter of days.  We have a half dozen birds in our yard every summer drinking from feeders my wife puts on the patio.  

Don't hesitate putting them close, the birds don't care.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I finally heard some this morning. Grabbed a feeder at lunch today.
Watching them is far more entertaining than television.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27773/IMG_0452_jpeg-2877505.JPG
View Quote
We don't get them here but when I lived in Michigan we'd get quit a few hummingbirds. When they'd first show up in the spring if the feeder wasn't out yet they would look in the patio door and tap on the window to let us know they were back.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeap I add a bit of Potassium Sorbate to stop the liquid fermenting and going cloudy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I got buzzed by a hummingbird at 13000ft in Wyoming.  That was weird.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:05:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

And change the feed often. They aren’t the fans of fermented drink that we are and it hurts them. 2-3 days here in the summer heat.
Blue Jays will kill them. They chase them around in the live oak trees here. Eliminating Blue Jays gives you more hummingbirds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

And change the feed often. They aren’t the fans of fermented drink that we are and it hurts them. 2-3 days here in the summer heat.
Blue Jays will kill them. They chase them around in the live oak trees here. Eliminating Blue Jays gives you more hummingbirds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I leave em both be. Let nature sort itself out.

Watching Blue Jay's protect fledglings with multiple over watch shifts is cool.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I freaked out one year.  Two were fighting, one impaled the other through its abdomen… they fell on the ground… I went over to see, its beak was all the way through the others body.  As I reached down, the aggressor flew off.  The other one shook his body & flew off.  It stayed in our yard, coming back for, many years.  You could see the scars on his belly.  He’d fly by me, & pull the hair on top of my head, whenever the feeder was getting low.  

We get, ruby throats, Anna’s, broad-billed, ring neck and some with golden chests.  Most migrate, Anna’s generally stay all year, here in AZ….. unless we have a cold winter.  If they disappear in November, I usually expect freezing temperatures in December and January.  

During mating season, they actually fly up extremely high, then, swoop straight down to the ground, breaking the sound barrier, with a high pitch chirp.  Amazing to watch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

During mating season, they actually fly up extremely high, then, swoop straight down to the ground, breaking the sound barrier, with a high pitch chirp.  Amazing to watch.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

No.  Hummingbirds aren't breaking the sound barrier.

And no, not even with their wing tips.

And more no, because it's not even close.
Link Posted: 7/8/2023 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/dont_believe_you_anchorman_zps267e5cbb_GIF-108.gif

Well…. it certainly “sounds” like it does…

Here’s Wiki’s explanation….  
Courtship dives

When courting, the male Anna's hummingbird ascends some 35 m (115 ft) above a female, before diving at a speed of 27 m/s (89 ft/s), equal to 385 body lengths/sec – producing a high-pitched sound near the female at the nadir of the dive.[159] This downward acceleration during a dive is the highest reported for any vertebrate undergoing a voluntary aerial maneuver; in addition to acceleration, the speed relative to body length is the highest known for any vertebrate. For instance, it is about twice the diving speed of peregrine falcons in pursuit of prey.[159] At maximum descent speed, about 10 g of gravitational force occur in the courting hummingbird during a dive (Note: G-force is generated as the bird pulls out of the dive).[159][a]

The outer tail feathers of male Anna's (Calypte anna) and Selasphorus hummingbirds (e.g., Allen's, calliope) vibrate during courtship display dives and produce an audible chirp caused by aeroelastic flutter.[161][162] Hummingbirds cannot make the courtship dive sound when missing their outer tail feathers, and those same feathers could produce the dive sound in a wind tunnel.[161] The bird can sing at the same frequency as the tail-feather chirp, but its small syrinx is not capable of the same volume.[163] The sound is caused by the aerodynamics of rapid air flow past tail feathers, causing them to flutter in a vibration, which produces the high-pitched sound of a courtship dive.[161][164]

Many other species of hummingbirds also produce sounds with their wings or tails while flying, hovering, or diving, including the wings of the calliope hummingbird,[165] broad-tailed hummingbird, rufous hummingbird, Allen's hummingbird, and the streamertail species, as well as the tail of the Costa's hummingbird and the black-chinned hummingbird, and a number of related species.[166] The harmonics of sounds during courtship dives vary across species of hummingbirds.[162]

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top