Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:06:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rum is incredible. It is the last hard liquor group that has not undergone a trend renaissance driving up prices and hurting availability. For comparison, you can get rum that rivals $200 bottle bourbon in quality that is still $30 bottle.
View Quote

This guy knows.  

There's also $100 bottles that are smooth as silk.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:27:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I like black or dark rums.  However, I'm broke so it is generally Captain Morgan for me.  The Kraken 94 is ok too.  I tried some of the expensive rums, but I just didn't like them.  A connoisseur, I am not.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IDK know what Appleton is but unless its a dark spiced Rum its gross.

Can't stand that clear stuff.
View Quote

Spiced rum is a poor substitute for aged rum.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
All I drink is Barbados rum from R.L. Seale's. Dorley's has an 8, 10 and 12 year old. R.L. Seale's 10 comes in an interesting bottle and is a good sipper, especially for the price. I would like to try Foursquare but haven't had the opportunity. All of there rum have no added sugar. You would be surprised at how much added sugar is in some highly rated rums.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a rum fanatic.

Panamanian Rum is outstanding.

Ron Abuelo Centuria is tops

Zafra 21 is amazing.

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a bottle of this that my parents brought me from a Cuba cruise a few years ago. Don’t think it’s technically rum but I’m curious. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
My favorite. Don Pancho 18 and Flor de Cana 25

Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I like to make rum old fashions.

My new favorite mix is Bumbu with dark chocolate bitters and a dash of simple syrup over ice. It’s a chocolate covered banana. The same mixture with papas pillar dark works as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like to make rum old fashions.

My new favorite mix is Bumbu with dark chocolate bitters and a dash of simple syrup over ice. It’s a chocolate covered banana. The same mixture with papas pillar dark works as well.
View Quote

Try a nice whiskey old fashion with a floater of zap 23.
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Myers is my go-to rum.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/577645/myers_dark_jpg-2863268.JPG

I agree the white/clear rums aren't good for sipping.
View Quote
try some clarin and it might change your mind. Made from sugar cane, so it tastes a bit different. There are some good clear/white rums out there to sip like ten to one, brugal, clement bleu/green. Rum fire is delicious but not for everyone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This is clearly going to be another one of those threads that cost me money.

I hate all of you. And, my bar has no more room.
View Quote

Dump the Kraken.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#14]
I love the Costco spiced rum.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I LOVE Rum straight & neat. Why is it always gone Occasionally I will drop a single ice cube into the glass. Just enough to serve it below Havana room temperature but not drowned it.

Appleton Signature blend is my daily goto. The Appleton 12 year is really good.

Zacapa 23 for special occasions.

If you are the type who mixes Coke or other sugary shit with Rum then maybe go ask your Husband to buy you something in a plastic bottle.

ETA- “spiced rum” is code for artificial flavors added to low-grade rubbing alcohol. Generally, the more “bad ass” the label art, the worse the contents. That shit is made for frat-boys and drunken bachelorette parties.

View Quote

Try Echo Distilling's spiced rum and you will change your mind about spiced rum. Their pineapple run is actually made with pineapples. Echo has won double double golds for their queens share rum.    They are a small distillery in Columbus, Ohio.  Bumbo makes a spiced rum that's also different than the chemical-infused captain brand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Spiced rum is for poor chicks and Bud Light fanboys.
View Quote

This.

Much like lime flavored beer.......................  
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@USPguy  I’m no rum expert by a long shot, but give ron zacapa 23 a shot.  I used to be able to find it for under 30$ a bottle here.  Now the going rate seems to be upper 30s.  Every once in a while Costco here will have it for 33$.  I’m a huge bourbon guy, and honestly if I had a choice of only drinking one specific liquor for the rest of my life it would probably be zacapa23.  Drink it neat.  Flor de caña is another good choice as mentioned in this thread, mount gay, and Appleton as well.  Just like any other spirit you will need to find one that fits your palette.
View Quote

Certainly no expert here either. But I do know I don't care for the clear rums nor the 151 proof stuff. I sip Royal Crown whiskey as well as good tequila, so I would like a good sipping rum to sorta round things out.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You were a Pirate in your last life.      You instinctually seek “Great Piles of Booty…-Aaarghhh!”.    

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I freaking love rum...like I love the smell, the taste, the look, everything about it. If I could wear it as cologne I would. If I could drink it 24.7 I would.

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum

You were a Pirate in your last life.      You instinctually seek “Great Piles of Booty…-Aaarghhh!”.    

awe yisssssssssss

Kenny Chesney - Pirate Flag

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been enjoying this Coconut Cartel rum. I guess they cut regular aged rum with coconut water. Really good straight or in a cocktail. Not a fancy as some of the other great suggestions here for it's been my go-to instead of Captain Morgans or Sailor Jerry for awhile now.

Link Posted: 6/26/2023 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
If your rum taste like whisky or bourbon, just fucking drink those two.

Whatever goober thinks Rum is supposed to taste like them needs to leave us true rum aficionados alone

Everytime I drink I try to learn jamaican patois...I am getting better at it
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#21]
This is a silky smooth rum. No afterburn and a rum that tastes like rum.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#22]
The Real McCoy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I freaking love rum...like I love the smell, the taste, the look, everything about it. If I could wear it as cologne I would. If I could drink it 24.7 I would.

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum
View Quote
Brotha from another motha....Ill take the smaller asses! But still big asses!
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I want to get a bottle of the rum like the Royal Navy used to issue. It would be a good pairing with Master and Commander.
View Quote

Then this is what you seek.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Whatever goober thinks Rum is supposed to taste like them needs to leave us true rum aficionados alone

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Two things Midcap doesn't like. Bourbon flavored rum and a woman with no ass.

Just kidding.
Sazerac Rye finished rum tastes just odd. Going to have to try it as an Old Fashioned.

Good to have some decent rum around. But looks like I have been buying more than tasting rum lately.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:14:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I enjoy Plantation dark rum for everyday drinks
View Quote

This or Diplomatico
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to get a bottle of the rum like the Royal Navy used to issue. It would be a good pairing with Master and Commander.

Then this is what you seek.

That lowest grade is raw.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:40:40 AM EDT
[#29]

This was my go to when I use to drink rum.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#30]
My picks:
Doorly's 12 year slides in under $30.  It's just a tiny bit sweeter than I'd prefer, but at that price point I'm not going to kick it out of bed.
El Dorado 12 year is a decent sipper at $35  
Santa Teresa 1796 is another at $40
Zafra 21 is probably my favorite rum at $55 or so.  There are better bottles at higher price points, but that gets into the land of diminishing returns for me.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I have bad memories of Reforger 85, CEGE, and Stroh's Rum (Austrian).

It will peel the paint off a B-1 Unit can.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Boomba at least I think that's how it's spelled. Common good stuff
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Opinions vary.....

I like bourbons and ryes finished in rum casks, as well.....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20221121_171456-2609387.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/20220214_191201-2280021.jpg
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/135145/IMG_20210821_182654-2061305.jpg
seagrass is delicious!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I went through all 3 pages and may have missed but it looks like I am the only one who loves The Kraken.

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:04:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well I went through all 3 pages and may have missed but it looks like I am the only one who loves The Kraken.

https://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-kraken-black-spiced-rum.jpg
View Quote

It's been... mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#36]

This stuff is crack.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.drinkhacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/the-kraken-black-spiced-rum.jpg
View Quote
highly, highly recommend rolling your own.

Also recommend checking out allspice and/or pimento dram - has a spice profile you’d probably like. It is a common ingredient in tiki cocktails. Legit stuff.

With almost no exception, commercial spiced rum is kinda a gross, sugary rip-off.

It’s the fireball equivalent of whiskey.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me guess, goes great with Coca-Cola?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's effectively already a flat, super-sweet rum and cola.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It's been... mentioned.
View Quote

Quoted:

Also recommend checking out allspice and/or pimento dram - has a spice profile you'd probably like. It is a common ingredient in tiki cocktails. Legit stuff.

With almost no exception, commercial spiced rum is kinda a gross, sugary rip-off.

It's the fireball equivalent of whiskey.
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote
Thanks y'all and no straight. I'm no conisuer, just saw it and tried it and like it. I'm definitely open to others.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:18:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Thanks y'all and no straight. I'm no conisuer, just saw it and tried it and like it. I'm definitely open to others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been... mentioned.

Quoted:

Also recommend checking out allspice and/or pimento dram - has a spice profile you'd probably like. It is a common ingredient in tiki cocktails. Legit stuff.

It's the fireball equivalent of whiskey.

Quoted:

Just understand that Kracken is low grade rum and mostly sugar and flavorings added to it.

Rum people tend to look down on any rum where pure non-fermented sugar is added back into it.

It's akin to the people who say they like coffee but get the pumpkin-spiced mocha Frappuccino caramel whatever from Starbucks. You aren't tasting the coffee, you're covering it up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You can dump malibu into any fruit juice and get loaded damn quick. I like rum and I also like malibu...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The woman bought a bottle of Malibu awhile back. Not even full rum. But I’ll be damned. Mixed with pineapple juice I’ll temporarily hand my man card over because that might be the most refreshing alcoholic drink I’ve ever had.

You can dump malibu into any fruit juice and get loaded damn quick. I like rum and I also like malibu...

It definitely has its place and does its job.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not much of a Rum drinker.
But I really like this Botran Solera 1893 Anejo for sipping.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My picks:
Doorly's 12 year slides in under $30.  It's just a tiny bit sweeter than I'd prefer, but at that price point I'm not going to kick it out of bed.
El Dorado 12 year is a decent sipper at $35  
Santa Teresa 1796 is another at $40
Zafra 21 is probably my favorite rum at $55 or so.  There are better bottles at higher price points, but that gets into the land of diminishing returns for me.

View Quote

Zafra 21 is the nectar of the gods.

Just try Ron Abuelo Centuria, it is more expensive but is is simply amazing!
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Boomba at least I think that's how it's spelled. Common good stuff
View Quote

Bumbu, nectar of the gods
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#46]

After living in Puerto Rico for 3 years, and doing my best to drink all the rum in the Caribbean, I can honestly say that is quite possibly my favorite bottle on the planet.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This is a silky smooth rum. No afterburn and a rum that tastes like rum.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0144/7703/3526/products/2149_b119f0bd0f6b00c145a805b0fe934d7b_600x.jpg?v=1578329913
View Quote

Does it make you want to "Ride, boldly ride"?

This thread reminds me, the rum is gone. I loves me a mojito at the end of a summer day.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#48]
I like the Appleton 8 over the 12 year. And both are better than the Mount Gay and Plantation rum that I’ve had. I’ve not ventured into the more premium brands but like other ms have mentioned, it’s the last liquor that hasn’t been co-opted by YouTube bourbon hunters and various other cultural institutions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:49:55 AM EDT
[#49]
I really like this from Total Wine for $30. 21 sol Canasteros from Columbia.
Get some!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

3 things I love in life.

Boats
Big Asses
Rum
View Quote

You really are a glutton for punishment, brother
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top