Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 7/25/2020 10:25:13 PM EDT
My neighbor is out in the backyard and asks me what I'm doing.  I say I'm just about to change my oil.  She's like "oh yeah I need an oil change too!"  I said giddeyup and go get some oil and a filter and bring it over.

She goes to buy oil while I change the oil in my truck. 5 quarts of 5-30, filter, no problem.  Done in 20 minutes.  

Hers is a 2010 Hyundai Elantra.  4.5 quarts (more on this later...) of Penzoil platinum 10w20, Mobil 1 extended performance filter M1-104.

So, I find what looks most logically like the oil drain pan and remove it.  Clear liquid starts pouring out of the hole.  Like, brand new oil type clear liquid.  She swears that the last oil change she had was over a year ago.  My oil is fucking black after 10k miles.  I'm doubtful but proceed.

I put on her new filter dry-ish (maybe got 1/10 quart in it before spinning it on) and add literally 4.5 quarts to the fill hole.  Done and done, right?  Fuck no.

Lower the car back down and go to pull the dipstick and it's like a quart over.  It's over exactly the same amount as the two holes on the dipstick are spaced apart that say '1 quart' between the lower hole and upper hole.  I'm like, hmmmm, not good.  A little bit over isn't a huge deal but I'm like a full quart over.  I concede defeat and jack her Elantra back up to go and loosen the oil pan drain and take some oil out.

...And then it gets fucking weird.  I get the plug loose and nothing is dripping out out.  I keep un-threading it until it's completely loose and there's like the odd intermittent drop, but no huge gush of oil that I was expecting.  I take her plug completely out and I'm holding it in my damn hand and nothing is coming out of the hole.

Baffling.

I'm like, okay, all of the oil is still in the head and it needs to run to get back into the sump.  So I put the plug back in and we fire it up for a minute or two on the stands.  She shuts it off and I climb under and same damn thing -- literally no oil in the sump, but the fucking dipstick at the front of the engine is still reading 1 quart over full.

Even more baffled.

She's looking at me like I'm a fucking idiot -- rightfully so -- so I make something up about how the 'drain back gasket' on her fucking fancy oil filter isn't supposed to let the oil drain into the sump and blah blah blah the Johnson Rod something something but don't worry because everything is fine and it's totally supposed to be like that.  

The fuck was I supposed to tell her?  I poured 4.5 quarts of oil into something and get a couple of drops back.  

What fucking planet are we on?

She took it around the block, no oil pressure light and running fine.  I check the dipstick one more time and it's still a quart high.  

Fucking BizarroWorld, man.  

TLDR:  Changed the oil in a car.  Drained all of the old oil out and replaced the filter.  Added 4.5 quarts of new oil.  Dipstick indicated I overfilled the crackcase.  I pulled the oil drain plug to drain some oil and no oil came out.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd suggest you take her car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and have them check and fix all the fluids before you wind up buying her a new engine.

And then stop working on cars forever.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You sure you actually drained the engine oil?

I don't touch other people's vehicles, other than family and very rarely. Just not worth it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd suggest you take her car to the nearest Hyundai dealer and have them check and fix all the fluids before you wind up buying her a new engine.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You didn’t accidentally drain the transmission did you?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well...

You're not wrong.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The tranny is now empty. lol.
Download the manual , quick like.
Oh and pics of the neighbor.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:32:49 PM EDT
[#7]
You aren’t the Ace you thought you were.  Have a fire sale on Craigslist for all your tools.  Hell sell guns too.  I see a negligent discharge in your future because the trigger pulled easier than it should have.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
In on one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeap
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Op is buying his neighbor a new trans.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
You done effed up and drained the transmission.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
That wasn't engine oil you drained ????
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#13]
LoL, OP trolling.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
@littlepony to the courtesy phone!
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#15]
What was the color of the oil when you removed the old filter?

If it was actually different than what you drained, you done seriously fucked up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:36:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Since when has old oil ever been clear? You must have drained the tranny or gear case instead.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since when has old oil ever been clear? You must have drained the tranny or gear case instead.
View Quote

When has tranny fluid been clear? I've only done older cars, but it's always been reddish or brown.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Something is now running dry.

ETA: it actually held 9 quarts of oil without coming out the fill hole?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
If only there was a website with helpful "how to" videos. Or maybe a place online to download service manuals..
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LoL, OP trolling.
View Quote

I knew that as soon as I saw the username.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
LoL, OP trolling.
View Quote
That or there's a neighbor that's about to learn why trying to save a few bucks usually ends up costing more...
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I hope that your neighbor has comfortable shoes, because she’s gonna be walking home when that transmission quits.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My neighbor is out in the backyard and asks me what I'm doing.  I say I'm just about to change my oil.  She's like "oh yeah I need an oil change too!"  I said giddeyup and go get some oil and a filter and bring it over.

She goes to buy oil while I change the oil in my truck. 5 quarts of 5-30, filter, no problem.  Done in 20 minutes.  

Hers is a 2010 Hyundai Elantra.  4.5 quarts (more on this later...) of Penzoil platinum 10w20, Mobil 1 extended performance filter M1-104.

So, I find what looks most logically like the oil drain pan and remove it.  Clear liquid starts pouring out of the hole.  Like, brand new oil type clear liquid.  She swears that the last oil change she had was over a year ago.  My oil is fucking black after 10k miles.  I'm doubtful but proceed.

I put on her new filter dry-ish (maybe got 1/10 quart in it before spinning it on) and add literally 4.5 quarts to the fill hole.  Done and done, right?  Fuck no.

Lower the car back down and go to pull the dipstick and it's like a quart over.  It's over exactly the same amount as the two holes on the dipstick are spaced apart that say '1 quart' between the lower hole and upper hole.  I'm like, hmmmm, not good.  A little bit over isn't a huge deal but I'm like a full quart over.  I concede defeat and jack her Elantra back up to go and loosen the oil pan drain and take some oil out.

...And then it gets fucking weird.  I get the plug loose and nothing is dripping out out.  I keep un-threading it until it's completely loose and there's like the odd intermittent drop, but no huge gush of oil that I was expecting.  I take her plug completely out and I'm holding it in my damn hand and nothing is coming out of the hole.

Baffling.

I'm like, okay, all of the oil is still in the head and it needs to run to get back into the sump.  So I put the plug back in and we fire it up for a minute or two on the stands.  She shuts it off and I climb under and same damn thing -- literally no oil in the sump, but the fucking dipstick at the front of the engine is still reading 1 quart over full.

Even more baffled.

She's looking at me like I'm a fucking idiot -- rightfully so -- so I make something up about how the 'drain back gasket' on her fucking fancy oil filter isn't supposed to let the oil drain into the sump and blah blah blah the Johnson Rod something something but don't worry because everything is fine and it's totally supposed to be like that.  

The fuck was I supposed to tell her?  I poured 4.5 quarts of oil into something and get a couple of drops back.  

What fucking planet are we on?

She took it around the block, no oil pressure light and running fine.  I check the dipstick one more time and it's still a quart high.  

Fucking BizarroWorld, man.  

TLDR:  Changed the oil in a car.  Drained all of the old oil out and replaced the filter.  Added 4.5 quarts of new oil.  Dipstick indicated I overfilled the crackcase.  I pulled the oil drain plug to drain some oil and no oil came out.
View Quote

You drained the transaxle.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When has tranny fluid been clear? I've only done older cars, but it's always been reddish or brown.
View Quote
Willing to give the benefit of the doubt since it's a Hyundai. Or OP severed a brake line or the MC mistaking it for the drain plug.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
You probably drained the transaxel and well hope your not fucked
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZF factory fluid is clearish
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#28]
There is entirely too much detail for this to not be absolute bullshit. Try harder OP
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:45:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Clear fluid? Nothing drains from a vehicle thats clear, unless its brake fluid (yellowish) or did you mean it wasn't dirty?

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:46:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a manual transmission car and I've never seen a manual with a drain plug.  

I thought of that, believe me.  I'm 99.99% sure what I drained was the oil.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Just a guess, but OP drained the gear oil out of the transaxle.  It's not ATF, that would be red.  Transaxle is now dry.  Do not drive until refilled.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Swear on my life I'm not trolling.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
How do you get the oil out of a manual transmission?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#35]
so you drained something, add something to what you thought you drained, its now over filled, and tried to drain it again and nothing came out? did I get that right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:49:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoL, OP trolling.

You dont wish to create joinder with p_barnes?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

WHAT?  Every manual transmission has a drain plug.  How else would you, you know, change the fluid?
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just a guess, but OP drained the gear oil out of the transaxle.  It's not ATF, that would be red.  Transaxle is now dry.  Do not drive until refilled.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Just looked it up and there is a man. Trans drain plug near the pan, and in for a possible epic thread
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:51:13 PM EDT
[#40]
This is why I giggle every time I see a "I do muh own work...fuck those mechanics they're all ripoffs" thread.....

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:51:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Was the drain bolt right below the CV boot? That's the transmission drain. If it was a low mileage car the mtx fluid could be clear and light colored.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn this reminds me of the first time I did some mechanic work. I was about 15 and told my mom I’d change her oil in a 1985 Toyota Tercel. Went to advance and got all the supplies. Got under the vehicle and drained all what I thought was the oil and changed the filter. Filled the crankcase back up and fired the car up and it was smoking up the whole driveway. I thought to myself wtf did I do. So I proceeded to put it in gear and it wouldn’t go anywhere. Yeah I drained the tranny and double filled the crankcase. Thank god it was a Toyota after I replaced all the proper fluids it ran fine for 10 more years.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#45]
2 min on YouTube and it seems pretty frickin straight forward as far as oil changes go.

And it's 5W-20.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Holy fuck
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

WHAT?  Every manual transmission has a drain plug.  How else would you, you know, change the fluid?
View Quote

Lots of trannies don't have drain plugs.  In fact, most auto trannies don't.  You have to drop the pan.  I've owned a bunch of older rides with manual trannies, no drain plugs.  Dumb idea, but there it is.  Ditto rear diffs.  Unbolt the entire rear cover to drain a qt. of oil.  Dumb.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Holy fuck....

"I emptied somethin'.  I dunno what...  I will just send em on their way".  

Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LoL, OP trolling.

Am I being detained?

You're blocking my freedom of movement.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top