BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Big time dis-respect of Jaclie Chan....
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, looked up Ildris Elba, I did like him a lot in Pacific Rim and Prometheus (even though it was a small part...)

He's a fine actor, and I'd love to see him do more, but he isn't Bond...

I think Daniel Craig does a good job as Bond, he is pretty close in character to Flemings Bond, who was a bit dark and brooding. Connery was excellent of course,

Some people say Lazenby was closer than Connery, but I think Connery was better.

Moore was enjoyable and fun, but not close to the literary Bond.

Timothy Dalton went back to a darker, more brooding Bond, and wasn't bad, but not so popular...

Pierce Brosnan was sort of a cross between Connery's Bond, and Moore's Bond...debonair, dry sense of humor, a a bit dark....

I kind of like what Craig has done with it honestly...I think he has a few more in him, but if he wants out, he wants out I guess...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But how important is whiteness to the character?

Obviously he has to be British, well trained, quick witted and charismatic as fuck but I really don't think skin tone is vital to the character aside from details from the book.

It wouldn't make sense if Idris had a thick southern accent, horrible facial scaring or was the size of Shaq. Idris is a smooth brit who can whoop some ass and pull tail like a special needs kid at a petting zoo. All day long.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude is one of the best actors working these days. I think he'd nail it. Bond is about attitude, not skin color.

What would kill Bond is an American actor.

I think he would make a good Bond.  I even said so in another thread.  *  I would also expect that the real MI6 has people of all races working for it, depending on where they need to blend in.

*http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1691439_Is_Benedict_Cumberbatch_the_most_menacing_man_ever_.html&page=1

I'm sure they do. James Bond is a fictional character who is white and had always been white. Why change it?

Obviously he has to be British, well trained, quick witted and charismatic as fuck but I really don't think skin tone is vital to the character aside from details from the book.

It wouldn't make sense if Idris had a thick southern accent, horrible facial scaring or was the size of Shaq. Idris is a smooth brit who can whoop some ass and pull tail like a special needs kid at a petting zoo. All day long.

Only reason he's being considered is for political reasons I'd bet on it
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Ever read the books?  Thirteen of them written about Bond.

I know he's too old these days, but if you read the books, by the original author, the description in the books is Sean Connery.
View Quote

Fleming hated Connery and loved Moore.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
i gave up on bond when the last one couldn't drive a stick and wanted gay scenes.
View Quote

The former especially sounds like a rumor that could only start in the US, and makes zero sense for a Brit.  The association with manual transmission and manliness is unique to the US.  Anywhere else, people simply wouldn't know how to drive, period.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#7]
That guy is a pretty damn good actor.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm not saying he should be James Bond because he is a good actor, I am saying that he should be James Bond based on the fact he was a very smooth and dominant personality, and is also a good actor.

Grounded in reality? A super duper secret agent who always manage to outsmart everyone while being extremely sophisticated and making love to beautiful women, and the only reason that it is unrealistic is because it is a black British guy, and not a white British guy? You can try to justify your blatant racism all you want, but it is painfully obvious why you don't want him to play Bond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay true to the character. It deserves more than that. From You Only Live Once:  

"Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland."

Come on man! I think Ben Affleck would have done just as great a great job as Cinqué in Amistad too...

So simply changing the race of Bond is demeaning their character? I would argue that the portrayal of the character is what would make it hit or miss, not what color they were.

If we are using authenticity to the books as a deciding factor on the portrayal of James Bond, then most of the other movies have failed miserably.

I think Hollywood does a lot of bad casting, but I don't think this is one of those instances. I bet you're upset there is a black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars as well.
No I'm saying it should be grounded in reality. But hey go ahead and read racism into it all you want. I mean I'm sure the world of espionage is loaded with black british guys.

That's the whole problem I have with your line of reasoning that he's a good actor so lets throw all the other criteria out the window. Running with YOUR viewpoint is akin to sayin it would be OK to have Darth Vader be played by Sigourney Weaver because she's really good in space movies.  

I'm not saying he should be James Bond because he is a good actor, I am saying that he should be James Bond based on the fact he was a very smooth and dominant personality, and is also a good actor.

Grounded in reality? A super duper secret agent who always manage to outsmart everyone while being extremely sophisticated and making love to beautiful women, and the only reason that it is unrealistic is because it is a black British guy, and not a white British guy? You can try to justify your blatant racism all you want, but it is painfully obvious why you don't want him to play Bond.

You left out announcing your presence to anyone that will listen.

If nothing else, Danial Craig has shown it is a good idea to use a good actor for the role, so that is a requirement.  They also need to be able to look and portray the Bond attitude.

I do think we can all agree he would be a better choice than Timothy Dalton.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:27:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That guy is a pretty damn good actor.
View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK, looked up Ildris Elba, I did like him a lot in Pacific Rim and Prometheus (even though it was a small part...)

He's a fine actor, and I'd love to see him do more, but he isn't Bond...

I think Daniel Craig does a good job as Bond, he is pretty close in character to Flemings Bond, who was a bit dark and brooding. Connery was excellent of course,

Some people say Lazenby was closer than Connery, but I think Connery was better.

Moore was enjoyable and fun, but not close to the literary Bond.

Timothy Dalton went back to a darker, more brooding Bond, and wasn't bad, but not so popular...

Pierce Brosnan was sort of a cross between Connery's Bond, and Moore's Bond...debonair, dry sense of humor, a a bit dark....

I kind of like what Craig has done with it honestly...I think he has a few more in him, but if he wants out, he wants out I guess...
View Quote

He's in The Losers, too.  Good movie.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
He is a great actor,fuck it give him a shot. At least they didn't pick Will Smith.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sam Neill was on the short list to play bond. I bet he would have done a good job.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He is a great actor,fuck it give him a shot. At least they didn't pick Will Smith.
View Quote

See Will Smith makes no sense. Idris Elba makes sense.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#14]
They made Fellix Leiter black, and. Moneypenny too.    Next step is to make Bond black, and then get Tyler Perry to play M in drag and also direct.

I like Idris as an actor, but my choice for the next Bond should be Michael Fassbender.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

WTF?

View Quote

No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...
Have to agree...White Brit.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stay true to the character. It deserves more than that. From You Only Live Once:  

"Bond's parents were given as Andrew Bond, from the village of Glencoe, Scotland, and Monique Delacroix, from the canton of Vaud, Switzerland."

Come on man! I think Ben Affleck would have done just as great a great job as Cinqué in Amistad too...

So simply changing the race of Bond is demeaning their character? I would argue that the portrayal of the character is what would make it hit or miss, not what color they were.

If we are using authenticity to the books as a deciding factor on the portrayal of James Bond, then most of the other movies have failed miserably.

I think Hollywood does a lot of bad casting, but I don't think this is one of those instances. I bet you're upset there is a black stormtrooper in the new Star Wars as well.
No I'm saying it should be grounded in reality. But hey go ahead and read racism into it all you want. I mean I'm sure the world of espionage is loaded with black british guys.

That's the whole problem I have with your line of reasoning that he's a good actor so lets throw all the other criteria out the window. Running with YOUR viewpoint is akin to sayin it would be OK to have Darth Vader be played by Sigourney Weaver because she's really good in space movies.  

It's not realistic because it was based in Cold War alliances and enemies. Our major foes were white Soviets and Eastern Europeans. A black Bond would have found it difficult to effectively perform espionage at the levels he did, seeing as he was going against the very best. A black guy would not only have had trouble, but would have been killed in the first few scenes. Nothing racist, but different physical appearances than those he needed to blend in to, different enough mannerisms, and whether you like it or not, different tones and inflections in speech. You can be as open minded as you want, but different races, even from the same country, speaking the same dialect, sound different enough that you can tell over the telephone. He would not, ever infiltrate an East German operation. Of course, I'm sure the series would be so exciting infiltrating and bringing down the high tech terrorist operations of Zimbabwe.

Now, give him the 007 number, but not the Bond name, and you can start over with current enemies.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know, I think he'd make a swell Annie too.
View Quote

He could play a Norse God too!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:49:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They made Fellix Leiter black, and. Moneypenny too.    Next step is to make Bond black, and then get Tyler Perry to play M in drag and also direct.

I like Idris as an actor, but my choice for the next Bond should be Michael Fassbender.

View Quote

Speaking of Tyler Perry, I wonder when we'll see a white Madea.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:50:05 PM EDT
[#19]
So when is a white guy going to play as Shaft?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:50:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Kinda hard for him to pass as Russian or Japanese though...

I mean, THIS was bad enough...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-D3TZucEvQsw/T3FGXVFmzNI/AAAAAAAABG0/nS0CdPld7CE/s1600/James+Bond,+Japanese+agent.jpg
View Quote

I saw that movie in the theaters as a kid back in the 1960s, and it changed my life!  I had a raging boner for three weeks and I could not figure out why. And the whole sequence where they turned him into a Japanese!  Mind blowing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

He'd do a great job too
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He'd do a great job too
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'd do a great job too

Yeah, he would be pretty good too, although the blonde hair isn't very Fleming...
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yea well we have a black Sgt Fury. For fuck sake create a new character and leave t he old ones alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WTF?
No racism at all, but Bond is a white British character, that is the stupidest idea that I have ever seen...

Bond is a cool British guy, set in the present day I don't see any problem with a cool British black guy being Bond. It's not like a black Lone Ranger or Sergeant Rock.  

Beats the idea Craig was floating of a Gay Bond

Yea well we have a black Sgt Fury. For fuck sake create a new character and leave t he old ones alone.

A black SGT Fury?  Where?   I know the re-booted Colonel Fury is Samuel L. Jackson, but I don't see the continuity where he was in WWII.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Aimless has 16 more post to go to hit and pass 159K
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm sure they do. James Bond is a fictional character who is white and had always been white. Why change it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude is one of the best actors working these days. I think he'd nail it. Bond is about attitude, not skin color.

I think he would make a good Bond.  I even said so in another thread.  *  I would also expect that the real MI6 has people of all races working for it, depending on where they need to blend in.

*http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1691439_Is_Benedict_Cumberbatch_the_most_menacing_man_ever_.html&page=1

The only downside anyone has been able to come up with for Idris playing Bond has been his color.  In every other category, he is pretty close to perfect for the role.  The other thread I mentioned was not about James Bond.  I went looking for British actors that are more menacing than Benedict Cumberbatch.  (which is almost all of them)  It occurred to me that 1) he could play a menacing character, and 2) he would make a pretty good Bond.  Sir Anthony Hopkins could play a pretty menacing character, but he is too old to play Bond.  Gary Oldman would fall in the same category as Hopkins.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:19:09 AM EDT
[#26]

The only downside anyone has been able to come up with for Idris playing Bond has been his color.  In every other category, he is pretty close to perfect for the role.  The other thread I mentioned was not about James Bond.  I went looking for British actors that are more menacing than Benedict Cumberbatch.  (which is almost all of them)  It occurred to me that 1) he could play a menacing character, and 2) he would make a pretty good Bond.  Sir Anthony Hopkins could play a pretty menacing character, but he is too old to play Bond.  Gary Oldman would fall in the same category as Hopkins.
View Quote

That is the only reason I can think of why he shouldn't play him. He's a great actor and I love his movies, but Jsmes Bond is supposed to be a white guy. Clive Owen would make a great Bond and a few years ago he was the number one choice for Bond after a public poll that was laden in the UK
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#27]
While I don't have an issue with a black Bond in theory, I am concerned that Hollywood would fuck it up.  Hollywood is overly PC with black actors in my opinion, and in order to avoid offending anyone tends to make black "hero" type characters flawless.  This, of course, makes them boring.  No one wants to see Mr. Perfect handle the situation perfectly.  It is a character's flaws which give him something to overcome, and thereby create plot and drama.  We sympathize with the flawed character because we are flawed and we want to see the character overcome those flaws and succeed.  One of the best parts about the new Craig Bond is that he is a flawed character, and his flaws create obstacles for him to overcome, and a plot for us in the audience.  I worry that if Hollywood goes for a black Bond they'll go full retard PC and make Bond a one-dimensional snoozefest.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever read the books?  Thirteen of them written about Bond.

I know he's too old these days, but if you read the books, by the original author, the description in the books is Sean Connery.

See, and Moore was an edgier, grittier Bond than Connery.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Rather see Omar play Bond.  Bonds coming yo !
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:41:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Idris Elba would make a great Bond!

It's definitely one of those unnecessary attempts to be inclusive by Hollywood though.  If you treat Bond as an identity to take on, and not a a singular person, then yes you could have virtually anyone play him but that's not how it's been handled to date.  I'm all for more of us being included in movies, but it shouldn't be forced.  It has to be natural.  Producers don't want natural though.  The American public doesn't want natural.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:25:00 AM EDT
[#31]
After the huge success of the Idris Elba Bond movie we will get the Idris Elba Batman movie.  Sounds great right?

If Paul Walker was still alive he would make an excellent Shaft!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly my thoughts

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:31:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That is the only reason I can think of why he shouldn't play him. He's a great actor and I love his movies, but Jsmes Bond is supposed to be a white guy. Clive Owen would make a great Bond and a few years ago he was the number one choice for Bond after a public poll that was laden in the UK
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Over 50 years and 25 films of Bond being portrayed by a white man who is the child of a man from Scotland and a woman from Switzerland, and now it's going to all of sudden be a black guy?  Seems legit.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think it'd be great because it'd add to the fan theory that James Bond/007 is not one man, but a cover for a position within MI6.

Too many people are seeing him as Stringer Bell. I don't think they should drop Daniel Craig for him but if he's out for whatever reason then they should go for it.
View Quote

Skyfall goes out of its way to make the point that Bond is Bond, not a code name and tthe same guy all along.

Remember the scene where he goes to the secret lockup to retrieve the original DB5 ?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 5:59:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

From what I've read, Idris hates Tyler Perry--he makes black people look bad or some such.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Stupid PC idea is stupid and PC.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:35:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Uh. Hell No!

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Aimless has 16 more post to go to hit and pass 159K
View Quote
Who cares?  Other than you, of course.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Great actor but fuck no to him playing Bond.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't care if Bond is black. What I'm care is that he's a bad ass serious alpha male.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

OMFG "M"adea!  It is destined to be so!!! LOL
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I always thought Connery and Craig were a little too large to play Bond who, after all, is supposed to be a spy and supposed to blend in.  Both those guys stood out too much, as would Elba (he's over six feet, isn't he?).  That's why I always liked Brosnan.  He was small-ish but with charisma and he had an air of cruelty about him (remember him in "Fourth Protocol"?).

I wonder why they killed "M" in Skyfall?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#44]
British PC makes American PC look kindergarten
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I liked his character in 'Prometheus'.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 9:54:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's not realistic because it was based in Cold War alliances and enemies. Our major foes were white Soviets and Eastern Europeans. A black Bond would have found it difficult to effectively perform espionage at the levels he did, seeing as he was going against the very best. A black guy would not only have had trouble, but would have been killed in the first few scenes. Nothing racist, but different physical appearances than those he needed to blend in to, different enough mannerisms, and whether you like it or not, different tones and inflections in speech. You can be as open minded as you want, but different races, even from the same country, speaking the same dialect, sound different enough that you can tell over the telephone. He would not, ever infiltrate an East German operation. Of course, I'm sure the series would be so exciting infiltrating and bringing down the high tech terrorist operations of Zimbabwe.

Now, give him the 007 number, but not the Bond name, and you can start over with current enemies.
View Quote

"A Black James Bond is unrealistic."

You were saying?

If this man was able to pass as Japanese, who knows what else is possible?

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

On the list of things you have to suspend disbelief for in the James Bond series - physically impossible gadgetry, nonexistent international relations, phenomenally loose women, etc., the race of the actor portraying Bond is incredibly low on the list.

Shit, the most realistic scene in the last 30 years of bond films was M's appearance before a bunch of stupid, self-important bureaucrats in Skyfall, and that was immediately counterbalanced by the ease with which Javier Bardem's character and his henchmen waltzed into the place guns-blazing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a level of differentiation that can still allow suspension of disbelief.

On the list of things you have to suspend disbelief for in the James Bond series - physically impossible gadgetry, nonexistent international relations, phenomenally loose women, etc., the race of the actor portraying Bond is incredibly low on the list.

Shit, the most realistic scene in the last 30 years of bond films was M's appearance before a bunch of stupid, self-important bureaucrats in Skyfall, and that was immediately counterbalanced by the ease with which Javier Bardem's character and his henchmen waltzed into the place guns-blazing.

Wait,,you mean Citizen DOESNT make a Watch with a miniature rocket-launcher on the band???  WTF
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:09:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Since Bond's character is Scottish, I'll just leave this here:

White: Total 5,084,407  96.02%

African: Total  29,638   0.56%

Demographics of Scotland - Ethnicity
View Quote

PC idea for a black Bond. More Hollyweird stupidity.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:16:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
About the second Luther, I said: Damn, he'd make a great James Bond.  If we can have Orange and Green Irish, whey can't we have white as well as black Scots?
View Quote

Bin Dun Befoah    

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch could pull it off.  He may be too metro to pull off the badass side.
View Quote

The whole point of Craig was to go back to the reough, almost thuggish side of Bond that was lost once they went to Moore, some of the later ones were better, but still just a touch too comic book
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top