Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/21/2021 4:50:02 PM EDT
I am starting to see the first wave of employees asking for money, promotions and comming to the table with outside job offers to get higher pay.

Seeing it in the trades and engineering, I am told accounting and legal is dealing with it too.

Looks like we may have to offer considerably more for many positions to keep them.  

I suspect this sort of thing is only gonna get worse as inflation takes off and people try to come to terms with cost of everything.

People are feeling the squeeze in jobs paying over 6 figures... so it is not just the bottom of working class driving the inflation wheel-o-death now.

Buckle up, it's gonna be quite the ride.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You’ll own nothing and you’ll be happy
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, seeing it as well.  A lot of people I work with have started looking that have been here forever.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The .gov has been cooking the inflation numbers for years.  This means "cost of living increases" haven't been keeping up for some years now.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#4]
In my industry the companies are pushing wages down taking advantage of the pandemic. I was offered a job for the same position with the same company that I was with before the shutdown started at 26% lower wage. They are forcing everyone to take the same wage, no negotiations. Take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my industry the companies are pushing wages down taking advantage of the pandemic. I was offered a job for the same position with the same company that I was with before the shutdown started at 26% lower wage. They are forcing everyone to take the same wage, no negotiations. Take it or leave it.
View Quote

Interdasting ballsy move on the companies part I don't think its going to go the way they think

companies answer to price increases across the board is to pay people a lower wage not very bright of them .
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Interdasting ballsy move on the companies part I don't think its going to go the way they think

companies answer to price increases across the board is to pay people a lower wage not very bright of them .
View Quote

They cut half of their productions for the coming year. Even with the people who have moved on, they are counting on people being desperate for work (and having more people than they have spots available) and wanting to go back on the road, even at a highly reduced salary. Same story I've heard from multiple producers. They are all colluding together to offer the same wage and the same terms.

And if everyone who they employed previously decides not to take their pittance of an offer, they will just hire kids fresh out of college and leave all the experience and talent that they had behind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Local PD is down 25% and hiring fewer than they lose every month. Already one of the lower-paid agencies in the Midlands, the state is getting an across-the-board 15% raise and has a LOT of open positions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am starting to see the first wave of employees asking for money, promotions and comming to the table with outside job offers to get higher pay.

Seeing it in the trades and engineering, I am told accounting and legal is dealing with it too.

Looks like we may have to offer considerably more for many positions to keep them.

I suspect this sort of thing is only gonna get worse as inflation takes off and people try to come to terms with cost of everything.

People are feeling the squeeze in jobs paying over 6 figures... so it is not just the bottom of working class driving the inflation wheel-o-death now.

Buckle up, it's gonna be quite the ride.
View Quote
My company has not kept up with inflation in any meaningful way.  With this history, surviving a Biden economy is probably going to require that they step up.

I really don't want to go job seeking, but I will.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone took a 5% pay cut just this month, keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
So tradesmen or others should just say "Fuck it, I'm okay working for less here, while other companies are paying more"?  

I'm not picking on you, cause I know payroll obligations suck.

Unless there's an incentive to work for less than the going (albeit, inflated) rate for the well-being of your
company, I don't see what options they or you have.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has been a power struggle since the first recession ended. Companies need workers but need them cheap to protect margins.
When there aren’t enough workers but still busy, they try to he heavy handed to keep that power. Tides are shifting it seems though. I just got a hefty pay cut because they are hiring people who barely know how to read a tape at a wage it took me a few years to achieve and I had experience.

THAT is why so many are trading up. The loyal workers get shit on and the new generation gets paid more to surf facebook.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unless there's an incentive to work for less than the going (albeit, inflated) rate for the well-being of your
company, I don't see what options they or you have.
View Quote

They can get together with the other companies in their areas who do the same thing and all agree to only pay a certain wage, take it or leave it.

That's what the companies in my industry have done.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I changed companies last April and per the Dept. of Labor's inflation data, I am currently down nearly $500/mo from where I started 14 months ago.

That's nuts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They can get together with the other companies in their areas who do the same thing and all agree to only pay a certain wage, take it or leave it.

View Quote

And I'm cool with that.

But... I'm in construction (building data centers) and companies can't get enough people,
so they've resorted to poaching talent.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I just got a couple K a year raise and honestly, it's like it's not even there with inflation and I am a pretty damn good shopper that almost always will only buy products when they are on sale.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

We're starting to be caught in that area where new hires are asking for more money than we've traditionally paid but our clients are bucking higher rates and the threat of them going to a lower bidder is real. End result is we aren't hiring right now and if our current employees (only have 2 at the moment) threatened to walk we'd have to get creative to keep them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#17]
We have been trying to hire 2 summer interns for about 2 months now, finally got one. Actually had a lot of applicants, but no takers, one actually laughed at what we are paying. At the one interview I sat in on I looked at my boss and said "wtf, really? that's what we are offering?,  I am passing signs for the multitude of warehouse jobs making 1-2 dollars more an hour, corporate needs to get their shit together". No wonder no one wants to come here. (gas power plant, combined cycle).
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Most of my work is electrical service work so I just raise my rates to compensate.  Nothing crazy and nothing a customer will squawk about.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Isn't GD always saying that if someone wants higher pay they should just negotiate for it? Sounds like that's what people are doing and now GD doesn't like it
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 5:55:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm in the fabrication industry. For example, one little piece of metal tubing that I always use was $32 just a few months ago. That same tubing today is $80. A metal band saw that was listed at $2,000 a few months ago is now $2,400 today. Everything across the board has gone way up and its going to get much worse.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

And all the major production companies are desperate for people right now. Start conversations with some of the names I sent you.

They are going to quickly figure out the power play is actually on the other side of that negotiation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It will all be one big cluster fuck Kommifornia soon enough. You will need to earn half a mil a year just to buy a home for 2plus mil. The suck is so massive in this state it is creating a giant black hole of doom and fuckery. Welcome comrads. Let me show you how to castrate your rifle next.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:04:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The .gov has been cooking the inflation numbers for years.  This means "cost of living increases" haven't been keeping up for some years now.
View Quote

Most of them think 3% is a cost of living increase, yet the same people who give the ok for them make deep 6-7 figure salaries. And they cannot figure out that 3% for them and 3% for me is wildly different.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I changed companies last April and per the Dept. of Labor's inflation data, I am currently down nearly $500/mo from where I started 14 months ago.

That's nuts.
View Quote

Being down 6000 a year at 1% claimed inflation means you make 600k a year.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a 50% increase at my new job and it's almost fully remote whereas my old one was in person.

Only had about 1.5 years of experience out of college, and was unemployed for 6 months.

Workload is much easier and month end closes are far less stressful as well.

I'll be honest, I wasn't even in a rush to find a job during the pandemic and this one kind of fell in my lap.

Feels too good to be true, but then I remember inflation is screwing me in other ways.

-Accounting
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m expecting a nasty fight during negotiations this year.

I’m sure they will come to the table with less than CPI.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey, when menial jobs are offering $15-$18, the professional stuff is gonna go up as well. I've said this for years. It does matter what minimum wage is, the economy will scale so the menial jobs are around the poverty level and the professional jobs are compensated appropriately.

It's not fair to double the wage of a flower sweeper while my doctor wife stays the same. Instead of being 8-10x the value of the floor sweeper at a $7.25 min wage, she's now 4-5x the value. That's not right. That's not fair. Everything will go up and everything will scale out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I bumped both my guys 2 bucks an hour.

One is unskilled labor, the other is what I'll call semi skilled labor.

They didn't ask, but it didn't seem fair to them with all the low end jobs raising wages, I don't want them jumping ship for less money at Dunkin just because it's easier work.

I remember hearing when NY first announced they wanted to do a $15/hr minimum wage, a lot of guys making $18-$20 say "fuck it, I'll go work retail in the AC for that, way easier on my back"
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#29]
My company (global government aerospace contractor) canceled all company events for the past year and a half saving MILLIONS. All of our production bonus lunches have been canceled saving even more money.

Daddy government is ordering even more aircraft spending that $$$$$.

We’re so fucking busy running 24/7 and it’s time to pony up. We worked every damn day of this bullshit while the rest of the company sat home and chilled.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
To be clear I am not complaining about people looking for more money, it is what it is.

It's just that I have never seen it quite so widespread where I work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
To be clear I am not complaining about people looking for more money, it is what it is.

It's just that I have never seen it quite so widespread where I work.
View Quote

I have a feeling it will get worse as inflation heats up.  I'm concerned C-suites in some places are going to be late to the party on this one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#32]
It's happening everywhere now.

Wait till the dollar gets replaced by the yuan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Isn't GD always saying that if someone wants higher pay they should just negotiate for it? Sounds like that's what people are doing and now GD doesn't like it
View Quote

Yup, I have had interviews with 3 companies and when I talk $, they gasp for air.

You want someone with experience, well, I am that guy, here is how much $ I want to keep your company going.

LOL, No fucks given, I know what I am worth
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's happening everywhere now.

Wait till the dollar gets replaced by the yuan.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep.

3.5% raise this year after going thru a temporary 10% pay cut last year and no 410k matching.

That 3.5% was with the highest yearly performance review you can get.

They stole a significant amount of money from me last year even though I never really slowed down.

Now inflation is cutting into that further.

Going to shop around a bit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#36]
You can’t give a bottom dweller $15/hr and expect the rest of us to remain stagnant.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:25:08 PM EDT
[#37]
A lot of money being thrown around to attract talent. I told the owner the other day I won’t leave you for $10k , but when they are tossing $30-50k around I’m listening.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#38]
OP must be a very important man
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have a feeling it will get worse as inflation heats up.  I'm concerned C-suites in some places are going to be late to the party on this one.
View Quote

Management here is at least aware of the scope of the issue, we are generally bullish when it comes to paying well for talent...  but that is going to get impractical for us if this keeps accelerating. There are some realistic limits for how fast those costs can get absorbed and translate to our customers.  We have some room to work now, but it won't be long and we could be in a squeeze... thank God that issue is over my pay grade.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OP must be a very important man
View Quote

Nah just some middle management goon is sector 7G
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#41]
My employer is keeping a lid on labor costs by outsourcing more software development to contractors in India.  I'm not asking for a raise, I'll be content to just keep my job.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You'll own nothing and you'll be happy
View Quote
YOU GET WHAT YOU DESERVE, MENSCH!
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nah just some middle management goon is sector 7G
View Quote

Damn it!  I know this is a reference I should remember,
but I'm blanking on it.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Damn it!  I know this is a reference I should remember,
but I'm blanking on it.  
View Quote

Homer Simpson from Sector 7G
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Our management is saying they are going to do something about wages as they are tired of being the training ground for engineers and technicians.  We will see.   The parent is currently shopping my employer to other utilities.    Sounds like it is time to start putting out the feelers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#46]
I think our company is just throwing all these benefits at us instead of raising our pay. We've been getting our regular 2.5-3.5% raises. Overall I'm happy where I'm at and I doubt the work/life balance would be any better switching jobs. I could probably make more money at our competitor, but it would be a completely different work/life balance and probably not worth the extra pay.

I have 30 PTO days, 2 flex holidays, can take 2 weeks off for paternity leave (both parents), have 5 days of family leave for qualified events, they never stopped 401K matching during 2008 or during COVID, etc.

Now we can buy what they call a recharge break and the company matches some of the days off. Wanna take 6 weeks off no problem. I told my boss I was going to do it just to mess with him and he about flipped out being we're so short handed right now.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
What? You think we are supposed to just keep doing the same work for effectively 4% less pay?

That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
In my state, a large business has to pay a minimum wage of $14.25/hr as of July 1st. This is up from $10/hr in 2020. That's a 40% raise in a year.

I make $34/hr. I haven't gotten a 40% raise of $13, by that metric I should be making $47/hr.

My buying power is going down because the cost of everything is going up and the bottom feeders got a 40% raise. So yes, we're going to ask for more.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#49]
My GF, financial industry, is going to ask for a 20% (she would probably take 15%) increase in salary in Sept when the minimum wage increases here. She's talking with an attorney to see if there would be any issues if she set up her own business and clients moved their business to her (she understands she cannot steal clients.) She is salary, even 15% would be a hefty five digit increase. She thinks the other employees are going to do the same.
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Things are about to get real interesting at my place.  In the past 2 months, we have lost:
- Plant manager
- Plant controller
- PC&L manager
- Quality manager
- Operations manager
- Production scheduler
- Buyer

Our salary headcount was 72 last year.  We are now close to 50.  Corporate has taken the "we aren't backfilling" approach for several other non-staff positions and people are getting sick of picking up the extra work.  Combine that with 0 raises last year and low raises (like 2%) for about 70% of salary and 0% for the rest this year.  My department has stayed solid, but I'm worried once the first domino falls, it's going to be catastrophic.  One of my biggest hangups with leaving is that I essentially have 6 weeks of vacation (4 regular, 1 week PTO, and I "buy" a week).  In talking to people I know who have left, they are getting more money, but vacation seems to be a sticking point at anything more than 3 weeks.  

Automotive tier 1 supplier
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top