BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Great pics!  Thanks for posting OP.  I've never seen them before.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an uncle who was with the 216th at Wendover. I wish he had lived long enough to tell some stories, but he died too soon after the war, while still sworn to silence.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Notice how thin and in shape they all were. Not a fat-ass American in the bunch.
View Quote

General Groves and Oppenheimer.  I wonder where they got the names.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thin man was a failure. Initial plutonium production was from a cyclotron and very pure. Reactor produced plutonium 239 had Plutonium 240 contaminants sufficient to cause pre detonation of the bomb. Those were casings tested in '43 and '44 before the project was dropped.

The bomb casings themselves proved a problem due to length and weight.

IIRC we only produced 5 bombs. There might have been plans for more dependent on the eventual Japanese surrender:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-planned-to-drop-12-atomic-bombs-on-japan

" A transcript of a top-level call between two military experts on August 13 reveals details of this “third shot.” It also confirmed that a vast production line of about 12 other atomic bombs was being readied for additional continuous strikes against other key targets.

It was agreed this next bomb would be available to be dropped on August 19, with a schedule of further bombs available throughout September and October.

One U.S. general explained: “If we had another one ready, today would be a good day to drop it. We don’t, but anyhow within the next ten days, the Japanese will make up their minds.”

On August 15, however, just as the plutonium was about to be sent to Tinian, news of the Japanese surrender came through and its loading was stopped."

Thanks, OP, that was very interesting and informative.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
8 different "thin man" bomb casings are pictured in 1944 in the first photo.

If that's accurate, our early nuke program was prepared for a much wider, more destructive campaign than I previously realized.

By Nagasaki, I thought the U.S. had used up all the nukes we had?

Were there more of them ready to go by VJ Day?
Thin man was a failure. Initial plutonium production was from a cyclotron and very pure. Reactor produced plutonium 239 had Plutonium 240 contaminants sufficient to cause pre detonation of the bomb. Those were casings tested in '43 and '44 before the project was dropped.

The bomb casings themselves proved a problem due to length and weight.

IIRC we only produced 5 bombs. There might have been plans for more dependent on the eventual Japanese surrender:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/us-planned-to-drop-12-atomic-bombs-on-japan

" A transcript of a top-level call between two military experts on August 13 reveals details of this “third shot.” It also confirmed that a vast production line of about 12 other atomic bombs was being readied for additional continuous strikes against other key targets.

It was agreed this next bomb would be available to be dropped on August 19, with a schedule of further bombs available throughout September and October.

One U.S. general explained: “If we had another one ready, today would be a good day to drop it. We don’t, but anyhow within the next ten days, the Japanese will make up their minds.”

On August 15, however, just as the plutonium was about to be sent to Tinian, news of the Japanese surrender came through and its loading was stopped."

Thanks, OP, that was very interesting and informative.
Fascinating history - thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#7]
"a second kiss for Hirohito"

The OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark) - ? ENOLA GAY ?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Now I need a shirt with that logo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love the  ' FatMan' logo on the coveralls.
Now I need a shirt with that logo
And a lower receiver
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
No pictures of Loose Lady, no care.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#10]
A salute those men for their great work and attention to detail.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]
"what did you do during the war?"

"not much, painted a bomb on some island once..."
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:16:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does JANGFU stabd for?  
View Quote
? ? ? ? Fuse Unit?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cool.

I wonder if they even knew what they were playing with?  Meaning I wonder if the ground crew knew what kind of instant death they were loading up.
View Quote
That's exactly what I wanted to ask.

Any good books on this subject?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Wasn't the third target Tokyo?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Great thread! Thanks, OP!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Enjoyed the pics.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Kokura was Bockscar's primary target, but clouds obscured the aiming point so they diverted to Nagasaki.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wow!

Think of all that shrapnel!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
...the early Model 1222 “Fat Man” casings, which required 1,200 bolts to assemble,...
Wow!

Think of all that shrapnel!

Heh
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tokyo was already leveled and burned to a crisp by incindiaries
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Tokyo was already leveled and burned to a crisp by incindiaries
View Quote
Yep. They wanted to use the most intact cities they could in order to best measure the destructive power of the weapon.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#22]
There are interesting accounts - published after the war - of the Japanese reaction to the bombs.  IIRC:

- the initial blast (and probably EMP) cut all communication to / from the city

- not that many uniformed imperial soldiers were killed, although both cities were militarily important, largely due to factories there

- a high-ranking Korean officer in the Imperial army was one casualty, as were a group of Korean turn-coat soldiers

- allied POWs who survived the blast were executed by angry Japanese captors
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I was able to meet Theodore Van Kirk and thank him for his part in ending the war before he died
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).

I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg

What a strange moment in time.
View Quote
Those white projections protruding from the fireball are the tower guy wires being vaporized by the intense X-ray radiation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If that's accurate, our early nuke program was prepared for a much wider, more destructive campaign than I previously realized.

View Quote
Those are from development work on the physical casings for the bombs.

There were lots of sets of casings and bomb components made and transported to Tinian. The atomic bombing group even flew practice missions to Japan and dropped a couple of the Fat Man casings on targets. Without the fissile material, they were a 5000 pound HE bomb.

What paced the availability of atomic bombs was simply the supply and fabrication of the fissile metal parts - the Uranium-235 for the Little Boy types, or the Plutonium for the Fat Man. One Plutonium core was expended in the Trinity test, another in the Fat Man bomb. The next core was supposedly made and about to be loaded onto a ship for transport to Tinian when news of the surrender was received. Had the war continued, supposedly they were expecting about 2 bombs per month, then about 1 per week in late 1945 into 1946 to support Operation Downfall. The Little Boy design was terribly inefficient and used a large quantity of U235, it's unlikely they would have constructed another gun-type bomb. Los Alamos was already thinking about levitation and composite core designs to more efficiently use the available fissile materials.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#26]
The names were cover names, and were inspired by Roosevelt and Churchill. Development on the delivery aircraft were to be explained as if they were developing VIP transport aircraft.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool.
I wonder if they even knew what they were playing with?  Meaning I wonder if the ground crew knew what kind of instant death they were loading up.
View Quote
View Quote
The crew of Enola Gay, with the exception of Tibbets, did not know what Little Boy was (other than it was a new weapon) until they were in the air headed for Japan.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I may make them.
View Quote
Let me know
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:09:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Japan was threatened with Tokoyo and several other cities if they didn't surrender. We had a list of places we were going to nuke. So yeah, there were a lot more of them.

I also want a shirt with that logo.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I may make them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may make them.
@scooter_trash
I’d be interested in one or more!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Let me know
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may make them.
Let me know
@scooter_trash

Me too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
MADE IN AMERICA

tested in japan

not one,....but two different designs, here to fuck your whole day up

KAPOOYA

KAPOOYA
View Quote
Back in the early 1990’s, the Japanese PM caught some flak here for saying that “Americans are Lazy and Illiterate”. Well, that same week, we had a group of Japanese walking then our plant-a Union plant...... One of my coworkers was name Warren, a perpetual shit-stirrer.... when they walked past his work station, he had one of those old aluminum work lights with the bulb coming out backward so he could wear it like a hat, and a big sign saying “WE MAY BE LAZY AND ILLITERATE, BUT WE BUILD A DANDY BOMB!”

It was Riotous.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have long had a fascination with all things atomic. I've seen a gazillion old b&w pix of this kind of stuff. (I was the local spokesman for the Atomic Testing Museum one year, thanks to Allan Palmer.) Thank you, OP,  for posting this. Cool stuff!
View Quote
ME TOO

I wish there was some place where I could talk to people about it at the level that interests me. Seriously.

Those pictures have been in the wild a long, long time, OP. For ham nerds, look at the bomb test unit stack, and see if there's anything remotely familiar.

For the rest of you, here is a rare fucking picture:

The hand is Alex Wellerstein's. He met a guy at a 509th reunion (I think that's right), and this guy said this was made in the exact pit mold that made the initial three FM cores. That is half, the complete plutonium core was ball-shaped. That amount (and, not all of it converted into energy, according to calculations) is what did the damage. Amazing, huh?

Also, I like to push pictures like this one:

whenever I can. People are told that popping off a nuke, it'll be barren for a zillion years, no one can ever enter again, and who is left in that area will be horribly mutated. Guess where that is?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Never seen any of those.Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL at "Top Secret" painted letters on them. Nothing to see here..........

ETA: Maybe those letters are on the photos themselves. Sometimes my brain works slow.
View Quote
In fact, a lot of weapon components have their classification level engraved on them. It may only, for instance say "CRD" or "SRD" but it's not as stupid as you think. It's to help people throw blankets over the correct items without having to know exactly what the items are...

(Or so I've been told)
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Shorts, no shirts and no PPE.  How did they survive?
View Quote
Yep.  And the complete absence of women and minorities must be shocking to today's generation.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
ME TOO

I wish there was some place where I could talk to people about it at the level that interests me. Seriously.

Those pictures have been in the wild a long, long time, OP. For ham nerds, look at the bomb test unit stack, and see if there's anything remotely familiar.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGl2VQ9UAAACL0D.jpg
The hand is Alex Wellerstein's. He met a guy at a 509th reunion (I think that's right), and this guy said this was made in the exact pit mold that made the initial three FM cores. That is half, the complete plutonium core was ball-shaped. That amount (and, not all of it converted into energy, according to calculations) is what did the damage. Amazing, huh?

https://gaijinpot.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/02/Nagasaki.jpg

whenever I can. People are told that popping off a nuke, it'll be barren for a zillion years, no one can ever enter again, and who is left in that area will be horribly mutated. Guess where that is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have long had a fascination with all things atomic. I've seen a gazillion old b&w pix of this kind of stuff. (I was the local spokesman for the Atomic Testing Museum one year, thanks to Allan Palmer.) Thank you, OP,  for posting this. Cool stuff!
ME TOO

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CGl2VQ9UAAACL0D.jpg

https://gaijinpot.scdn3.secure.raxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/02/Nagasaki.jpg

Either Nagasaki or Hiroshima. It's also a really cool picture.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I guess those pictures are proof that good welds don't have to look nice.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I also find it fascinating (thx again, OP).

I'm especially intrigued by the photos of the very earliest stages, where mass is being converted to energy and conditions mimic the early universe:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2mt4P.jpg

What a strange moment in time.
View Quote
I love those pictures, I just stare at them and can't stop.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:34:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.
wasnt much left. seems like i heard more folks died in the tokoyo fire bombing than were killed by either of the atom bombs.

Operation Meetinghouse
Main article: Bombing of Tokyo (10 March 1945)

On the night of 9–10 March, 1945,[13] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[14] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[15] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[16][17] A grand total of 282 of the 339 B-29s launched for "Meetinghouse" made it to the target, 27 of which were lost due to being shot down by Japanese air defenses, mechanical failure, or being caught in updrafts caused by the massive fires.[18]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
wasnt much left. seems like i heard more folks died in the tokoyo fire bombing than were killed by either of the atom bombs.

Operation Meetinghouse

On the night of 9–10 March, 1945,[13] 334 B-29s took off to raid with 279 of them dropping 1,665 tons of bombs on Tokyo. The bombs were mostly the 500-pound (230 kg) E-46 cluster bomb which released 38 napalm-carrying M-69 incendiary bomblets at an altitude of 2,000–2,500 ft (610–760 m). The M-69s punched through thin roofing material or landed on the ground; in either case they ignited 3–5 seconds later, throwing out a jet of flaming napalm globs. A lesser number of M-47 incendiaries was also dropped: the M-47 was a 100-pound (45 kg) jelled-gasoline and white phosphorus bomb which ignited upon impact. In the first two hours of the raid, 226 of the attacking aircraft unloaded their bombs to overwhelm the city's fire defenses.[14] The first B-29s to arrive dropped bombs in a large X pattern centered in Tokyo's densely populated working class district near the docks in both Koto and Chuo city wards on the water; later aircraft simply aimed near this flaming X. The individual fires caused by the bombs joined to create a general conflagration, which would have been classified as a firestorm but for prevailing winds gusting at 17 to 28 mph (27 to 45 km/h).[15] Approximately 15.8 square miles (4,090 ha) of the city were destroyed and some 100,000 people are estimated to have died.[16][17] A grand total of 282 of the 339 B-29s launched for "Meetinghouse" made it to the target, 27 of which were lost due to being shot down by Japanese air defenses, mechanical failure, or being caught in updrafts caused by the massive fires.[18]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

Operation Meetinghouse

Those big raids were really something to behold. I’ve shared this here before but this video is amazing:

The Last Bomb | 2008 Documentary with original colour film
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:41:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I may make them.
View Quote
I'm in for one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:43:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:46:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep.  And the complete absence of women and minorities must be shocking to today's generation.
View Quote
What are you talking about? Where do you think the term 'calculator' came from?

Granted, not as glamorous as spraying flexseal on a giant ass nuke, but women and minorities were behind almost all of the computing power until like the 50's, and then they did all the drudgery work on those things (like, hollerith card stacks).
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pencils, paper, and slide rules.  
View Quote
And chalk boards.  Lots and lots of equations written on chalk boards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Shorts, no shirts and no PPE.  How did they survive?
View Quote
They didn't - the men in those pictures, by and large, are dead now.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top