Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/30/2021 11:13:21 AM EDT
What trucking companies drivers are the worst on the road? I know Swift isn't highly regarded. Any other companies that have a reputation for hiring idiot drivers?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
They’re no longer swift.

They were purchased by Knight.

If you’re going to bash them, at least get the company right. So it’s Knight-Swift.

Really for the amount of miles they run, they’re not all that unsafe. 24,000 trucks on the road. You’re bound to have some idiots.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

If you’re going to bash them, at least get the company right.
View Quote

Usually they just bash themselves (or wind up In ditches)
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Hobby Lobby drivers. Fuck em.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

I edited my previous post. But 24,000 drivers. For the number of miles they run, they’re actually not out of the usual in terms of accidents.

Get 24,000 random people and see how many cars they wreck spectacularly.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Over the last couple of years I've noticed the most reckless driving coming from Amazon contractors. I've seen 2 of their trucks rolled over in the last 3 or 4 months.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:24:17 AM EDT
[#6]
The jobber independents that pull Amazon trailers are the new hotness for suckage.

Edit: beat by 30 seconds
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I edited my previous post. But 24,000 drivers. For the number of miles they run, they’re actually not out of the usual in terms of accidents.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

My buddy says truckers hate and shit on Swift. Apparently there's even social media pages dedicated to Swift being retarded.

I think they're like the gun community's Jenkins.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

While maybe true my dad is an owner operator you should hear all the stories he tells me of those drivers backing into other trucks at the pilots alone lol
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]
How many of the drivers have knee problems??
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Worst I see, both in driving ability and equipment condition, are the "Metro Pool" trailers coming off the ports.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Over the last couple of years I've noticed the most reckless driving coming from Amazon contractors. I've seen 2 of their trucks rolled over in the last 3 or 4 months.
View Quote

Indeed. Amazon drivers are constantly doing dumb stuff.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

While maybe true my dad is an owner operator you should hear all the stories he tells me of those drivers backing into other trucks at the pilots alone lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I own ~100 ish Semis.

My trucks have literally been backed into by swift trucks.

It’s not a story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

If you’re going to bash them, at least get the company right. So it’s Knight-Swift.

Really for the amount of miles they run, they’re not all that unsafe. 24,000 trucks on the road. You’re bound to have some idiots.
View Quote

Judging from the amount of youtube videos, Swift has a larger than normal amount of idiot drivers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:36:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Swift was notorious for routing drivers through tight mountain roads.  Maybe less so for tighter roads that required commercial permit for vehicle length, but their apparent accident rate across the broader range of Appalachian roads stood out from the pack.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Around here, oilfield drivers for frac and cement crews are by far some of the worst I've ever seen.  In their defense though, they're equipment operators first and trucker drivers second, so they don't see as much time behind the wheel.

Bottle drivers were the bane of my existence in that line of work though.  

What's in the bottle?
Ground water.
Why's it black?  Where'd you get it?  
Don't know.
Was it a preload?
No.
Then where'd you suck it up at?  
I told you I don't know.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks like I found the Knight-Swift driver... Judging from the amount of youtube videos, Swift has a larger than normal amount of idiot drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

Looks like I found the Knight-Swift driver... Judging from the amount of youtube videos, Swift has a larger than normal amount of idiot drivers.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Swift is definitely top 5. Schneider is up there too. Seen way to many of both those trucks rolled over
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Swift drivers were the worst by far when I worked in a truck yard. They were constantly hitting other trailers and many couldn't put a trailer on a door to save their life.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Swift is definitely top 5. Schneider is up there too. Seen way to many of both those trucks rolled over
View Quote

Werner has some good ones, too. A year or two back, I watched one struggle to back to one of our receiving docks. It took around 45 minutes and they had their choice of any of four open docks all in a row. Our docks are not tight by any stretch of the imagination.

That said, we've got a few guys where I work that probably shouldn't be behind the wheel of a class 8 truck either. No catastrophic wrecks, but we've had some pretty dumb things happen
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Judging from the amount of youtube videos, Swift has a larger than normal amount of idiot drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They’re no longer swift.

Nice edit.

While I have a CDL, I don’t drive for knight swift. Or even drive.  

You must be new here. I’m the resident SME on fuels, oils and greases. As I own one of the largest oil distribution companies in the US.  You being in OH, you’ve 1. Seen my trucks.  2. Have used products I’ve supplied.

I just know a lot about the trucking industry as I own a fairly large fleet.  ~100 CDL vehicles,  over 200 plated vehicles.  So I follow the trucking world closely.

Swift, now Knight-Swift makes a lot of public mistakes because they’re the largest OTR fleet, essentially, that is non specialized freight.

Most dangerous fleets are technically garbage trucks. They fucking smash everything. Every day.

Statistically speaking.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My buddy says truckers hate and shit on Swift. Apparently there's even social media pages dedicated to Swift being retarded.

I think they're like the gun community's Jenkins.
View Quote
Hey!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:54:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Around here, oilfield drivers for frac and cement crews are by far some of the worst I've ever seen.  In their defense though, they're equipment operators first and trucker drivers second, so they don't see as much time behind the wheel.

What's in the bottle?
Ground water.
Don't know.
Was it a preload?
No.
I told you I don't know.

View Quote

LOL

I had to do some work where I was pumping water and other stuff into the casing of some oil wells. Three of us were to meet 3 water haulers out on a location. We would each pick a water hauler to follow us.

I hurried up to get out there first in hopes of getting a driver who speaks the English. I get there and the one English speaker runs out and says we have two full trucks and one empty. I ask why they have an empty one. He then runs back to check his truck, which he thought was empty, and found it was loaded with about 120 bbl water.

You would think he could feel it, but I guess not.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Swift drivers were the worst by far when I worked in a truck yard. They were constantly hitting other trailers and many couldn't put a trailer on a door to save their life.
View Quote

Could that simply be chalked up to a high turnover rate of drivers? Where many noobs get started with the places like swift?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

eta: shit, didnt catch pre-edit.

You two would be wise to listen to foxtrot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Part of my job includes plowing snow so I see a lot of highway miles in bad winter weather...

Its not necessarily the drivers or the companies, but wiggle wagons and winter just not friends. I see a lot of them tipped over along the interstate.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

eta: shit, didnt catch pre-edit.

You two would be wise to listen to foxtrot.
View Quote

Don't worry, I caught it before the edit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw a Swift trailer yesterday with the hows my driving number spray painted over.  I el oh el'd because of the previous threads/comments on the swift trucks on this forum.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

LOL

I had to do some work where I was pumping water and other stuff into the casing of some oil wells. Three of us were to meet 3 water haulers out on a location. We would each pick a water hauler to follow us.

I hurried up to get out there first in hopes of getting a driver who speaks the English. I get there and the one English speaker runs out and says we have two full trucks and one empty. I ask why they have an empty one. He then runs back to check his truck, which he thought was empty, and found it was loaded with about 120 bbl water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's in the bottle?
Ground water.
Don't know.
Was it a preload?
No.
I told you I don't know.

LOL

You'd think he'd notice the truck was a *tad* heavier, but I can believe it.  Some real winners in that line of work.

Had one come to suck up excess cement and refused to add sugar. Said he wanted it to set up quick cause he was taking it home and dumping it on his gravel driveway.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I saw a Swift trailer yesterday with the hows my driving number spray painted over.  I el oh el'd because of the previous threads/comments on the swift trucks on this forum.
View Quote

Swift needs to move the decal up higher. That's what Schneider finally got smart and did with their 1-800-44-PRIDE decal. It used to be that you would never see those not painted over.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#31]
J-just
B-been

H-hired
U-unfortunately
N-not
T- trained
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
S-sure
W-ish
I-I had
F-fast
T-truck
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
S-sure
W-ish
I-I had
F-fast
T-truck
View Quote

S-Somalis
W-Wanted
I-Immediately
F-Fuck
T-Training
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Could that simply be chalked up to a high turnover rate of drivers? Where many noobs get started with the places like swift?
View Quote

Yes, and that applies to most of the big national carriers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#35]
When I kicked around the idea of getting a CDL, Swift and JB Hunt rigs where basically considered the Drivers Ed cars of the truck world.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Amazon
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#37]
W e
E mploy
R ookies
N o
E xperience
R equired
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Container haulers are bad from what I see near work. The worse is log trucks. I have 2 friends who have lost relatives to unsafe log trucks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Hunt
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Sure Wish I Finished Training!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
When I kicked around the idea of getting a CDL, Swift and JB Hunt rigs where basically considered the Drivers Ed cars of the truck world.

View Quote

JB doesn’t hire drivers with no experience. Swift and Schneider do.

We calculated the 3 most dangerous trucking companies by collisions per 10,000 miles. They are:

Werner Enterprises .0056: Werner Enterprises had 960 collisions in a 2-year period in which it traveled 855 million miles, making its rate the most often by far.
Swift Transportation .0045: Swift Transportation had a high overall collision number, with 1500 collisions in 2 years.
U.S. Xpress .0046: U.S. Xpress had nearly the same number of collisions in the same period (1448), but it traveled nearly twice the distance.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:48:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The jobber independents that pull Amazon trailers are the new hotness for suckage.

Edit: beat by 30 seconds
View Quote

Oh yeah. Fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Somalis and Slavic tracksuit wearing types, with some Indians thrown in just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:54:50 PM EDT
[#44]
The Prime has been awful.

Whatever the fuck is driving/running Rooms to Go dogshit is time to get the as far away as possible.

Popular mentioned: Stevie Wonder Institute For Truckers.

FedEx drivers during holiday seasons.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I drive a tractor trailer every day mostly in the Atlanta metro area. I pull a pneumatic tanker hauling dry bulk concrete ingredients, and typically log 2000- 3000 miles each week. Truck will do 73mph, which I’m happy with.  

Most of the Swift drivers are very new to driving. Same with JB Hunt, Werner, Knight, Hub Group, etc., so I’m not just picking on Swift specifically. It’s a training issue. Many of their “trainers” haven’t been driving for very long either. Their trucks are governed at 65mph typically, and they’re taught to stay in the center lane so that they always have a way out. Thus they camp out there and become a giant rock in the middle of a rushing river, creating an unsafe condition for everyone, including them.

99% of the time they don’t have a CB in the truck, so you can’t politely inform them that they’re being asshats. I don’t hate on anyone for being a newbie or for having a slow truck. But fuck, keep it in the right lane where it belongs. You either have to pass them on the right or smoke them in the hammer lane and risk a left lane violation in some areas. Or just suck it up and run 65 behind them and make the issue worse by becoming part of the problem. I’ve driven trucks governed at 63-65mph and had more close calls in those slow ass trucks than I ever did in a truck that could do 80mph.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

We calculated the 3 most dangerous trucking companies by collisions per 10,000 miles. They are:

Werner Enterprises .0056: Werner Enterprises had 960 collisions in a 2-year period in which it traveled 855 million miles, making its rate the most often by far.
Swift Transportation .0045: Swift Transportation had a high overall collision number, with 1500 collisions in 2 years.
U.S. Xpress .0046: U.S. Xpress had nearly the same number of collisions in the same period (1448), but it traveled nearly twice the distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are those CSA reported incidents or insurance claims?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Somalis and Slavic tracksuit wearing types, with some Indians thrown in just for the hell of it.
View Quote

I had one pull in front of me and I creamed his truck at 55 mph. I'm grateful for my dash camera, the cop wanted to cite me until he saw the video.

eta. He had the tracksuit uniform and flip-flops with white socks. When he got out of his truck I said outloud to myself "you gotta be fucking kidding me" when I saw what he was wearing.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Amazon trucks are worse. They'll drive thru a mine field or freshly rained on muddy mess just so they dont have to figure out how to reverse the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Truck driving, which used to be a cool way to make a living, has gradually transformed into one of the most miserable jobs in existence. Same with driving for Amazon, Fed Ex, etc. You not only have the nightmare of electronic logbooks, you can't scratch an itch without it being recorded by the "eye in the sky" linked back to corporate. Slow down, speed up, stop to pee, anything.... and a light comes on and a report generated in an office somewhere.
Now, companies like Swift are so desperate for drivers they're hiring anybody with a pulse, fresh out of Bubba's Truck Driving School ("Sign up now! Get your CDL in 2 weeks!!!").  
A sad end to a once-proud profession.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#50]
I haul equipment on I77 in WV daily. Really no one carrier has the market cornered on idiots as far as I can see. Once you get them in the mountains and curves, most all of them look like it's their first day behind the wheel.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top