Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just like some Europeans work those days too.  I just think it’s hilarious how we make fun of long euro holidays when WE as a country are becoming just as allergic to work.
View Quote

When you aren’t getting what you deserve, why make fun of those who do? It seems employers in the US are allergic to giving people a fair value for their labor.

If you fly on a commercial flight, there’s a good chance your aircraft will feature one of our products. I don’t want to reveal exactly what we make but I will say there are 3 top manufacturers of this system, one European and two American. What we make is in every way comparable to that of the Americans, priced similarly, and yet we get much better employment terms than they do. Or, at least it seems that way to me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Boy, and here I thought the 15 minute break cards they hand out at my job were worthless. I've got a whole stack of em. Can't combine them to get some legit time off. I could sit around surfing arf or generally goofing off any time I want, so what good does a break card do me?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#4]
That's not serious right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP, 2 pages of people thinking it's you.  You have responded but you haven't let them know it isn't, or you also posted it on reddit yesterday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/1052w37/i_left_my_job_shortly_after_receiving_this_prize/
View Quote

Wait, it’s not OP?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Wait, it’s not OP?
View Quote

Well, shit
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
87% chance OP is full of shit, but I'll give benefit of the doubt. But most "awards" are opportunities for managers to pat themselves on the back for their own pseudo altruism.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Prior to taking a position and during negotiations I had asked whether or not there would be a bonus.  I was told "The company is very generous at Christmas".  So when Christmas rolled around I was looking forward to receiving my bonus.  I was called into my into my bosses office and he handed me an envelope and thanked me for all the hard work I've put in.  I went back to my office and opened the envelope and found $200.  This is a professional job paying over $100K a year.  :/
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job corporate drone #568473229.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Serious question, why don't Americans value their labor as much as Europeans? I work remotely for a company based in EU. European work life balance is all I've ever known. Why don't Americans want the same level of working hours/PTO/maternity and paternity leave etc? We love to bag on China for being a big sweatshop but it seems we're really behind compared to our actual first world peers. It just seems insane to me that even a McDonald's fry cook in my company country gets 4 weeks PTO whereas some Americans have to work years to attain that.
View Quote
Some of it is because hard work is still sort of valued in our country and something to be proud of. However, it also came from a time when companies still took care of their employees. Nowadays? Fuck 'em. My family will ALWAYS be first. They get 40 hours of work and nothing more out of me. I take off any chance I get without burning up all my
time. I take sick leave as needed also. I have ZERO allegiance to my employer.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I once requested to use my employer’s education sponsorship program to pay for a specialized week long trade class that was DIRECTLY associated with my job task, and would have increased safety and my value to the company. It was far less expensive than a semester at the local college, which the routinely sponsored for other employees. They turned me down, so I paid for the class out of pocket because I wanted the knowledge.

When I returned from the class, the boss asked when I was going to teach my coworkers what I had learned so that the whole department could benefit… I laughed and walked away.

Within the same quarter I got two certificates of merit for using my new skill to prevent a fatality and a near miss. I also got a written warning for violating a company policy (that contradicted OSHA) while performing that rescue.

The boss was completely flabbergasted when I gave my notice and left to double my income working in a specialty field with that skill.

Corporate bosses are idiots.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I once requested to use my employer’s education sponsorship program to pay for a specialized week long trade class that was DIRECTLY associated with my job task, and would have increased safety and my value to the company. It was far less expensive than a semester at the local college, which the routinely sponsored for other employees. They turned me down, so I paid for the class out of pocket because I wanted the knowledge.

When I returned from the class, the boss asked when I was going to teach my coworkers what I had learned so that the whole department could benefit… I laughed and walked away.

Within the same quarter I got two certificates of merit for using my new skill to prevent a fatality and a near miss. I also got a written warning for violating a company policy (that contradicted OSHA) while performing that rescue.

The boss was completely flabbergasted when I gave my notice and left to double my income working in a specialty field with that skill.

Corporate bosses are idiots.
View Quote

Good for you, seriously. I fear for those still working at your old employer, potentially being exposed to dangerous or fatal conditions under clueless retarded management. Maybe OSHA would like to hear about that policy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Good for you, seriously. I fear for those still working at your old employer, potentially being exposed to dangerous or fatal conditions under clueless retarded management. Maybe OSHA would like to hear about that policy.
View Quote

It’s been nearly a decade, and honestly OSHA almost never takes enforcement actions in my industry (entertainment/show business).

But I’m grateful for that boss, because that career change catapulted my progress and growth in a new industry and exposed me to a whole new world of professionalism. I’ve used those lessons to return to entertainment and I’m now fortunate to be a leader for safety and high-risk jobs that not many people are willing or able to take on.

Let that be a lesson to those of you who are getting abused by your employer. Increase your own value with education or skills training, and then move on. Somewhere, there is a boss out there who will appreciate and reward your skills. It nearly quadrupled my income.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Photo copy the award, use weekly at same time same day.

after a month it will be the norm for them. :)

free extra 10 every week. FOREVER!!! hahahhaahaha!
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of like getting a coin-proof set worth a dollar 91 cents for perfect attendance. Happened more than once.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Wait, it’s not OP?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, 2 pages of people thinking it's you.  You have responded but you haven't let them know it isn't, or you also posted it on reddit yesterday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/comments/1052w37/i_left_my_job_shortly_after_receiving_this_prize/

Wait, it’s not OP?

Notice how he suddenly stopped replying to his own thread?
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked at a Fortune 500 company for a long time. The appreciation for above and beyond was a check, at a min $100
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#18]
That has to be a joke OP
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 12:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Notice how he suddenly stopped replying to his own thread?
View Quote

In hindsight, the first clue was that nobody who posts news articles on GD all day works a job that gives you a 30 minute lunch and two 10s
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#21]
"What am I supposed to do with $250?"

Really?

Should I go be poor somewhere else?
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I got a recognition/award for going above and beyond at work.   It said something like “200 points!!   Check our website to select your reward!”

Turns out I need to win 20 more awards, before the amount adds up to a small crockpot.       It’s a joke, like SkiBall tickets, but it was nice to be recognized, and they pay me 3X the baseline amount needed to impress the ladies.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quit complaining... 15 minutes is plenty of time to take a giant CRAP on the bosses desk and use your resignation letter to wipe with.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top