Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1987-1992:

Sports/muscle cars- Ford Mustang, Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe, Nissan 300ZX, Buick Grand National/GNX, Chevy Camaro

Small trucks- Nissan Hardbody, Toyota Tacoma

Full Size trucks- Ford
View Quote

The Tacoma wasn't released until 1995. In 1992 it was the Toyota Pickup. Much better truck than any Tacoma. Dammed good little truck and I say that as a Nissan fan. I am also biased that the first year, 1986.5, was the best (half) year of the Hardbody which remained mostly unchanged until 1997. Early D21s got all sorts of things never available in 87 and later like 2 tone paint, V6 in a single cab short box, 4wd, 4.11 gears in a 4wd, etc.

I do love the 300ZX and the GNX. Somewhere around there Nissan was putting the SR20 in family cars too. Mom had a tiny Infiniti in the early 90s with a 145HP, 7500RPM NA SR20.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Oddly the same guy designed the Nissan Hardbody. From what I understand they set him with engineers to keep him in line. Ha!
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:16:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The Tacoma wasn't released until 1995. In 1992 it was the Toyota Pickup. Much better truck than any Tacoma. Dammed good little truck and I say that as a Nissan fan. I am also biased that the first year, 1986.5, was the best (half) year of the Hardbody which remained mostly unchanged until 1997. Early D21s got all sorts of things never available in 87 and later like 2 tone paint, V6 in a single cab short box, 4wd, 4.11 gears in a 4wd, etc.

I do love the 300ZX and the GNX. Somewhere around there Nissan was putting the SR20 in family cars too. Mom had a tiny Infiniti in the early 90s with a 145HP, 7500RPM NA SR20.
View Quote
 I wanted a 4wd toyota since I saw back to the future as a kid.  I bought mine in 2015.  It still has less than 60k on it and a good bit of it was spent in 4wd.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:17:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I feel this was the pinnacle of car design.
View Quote

If you don't care about:
Braking
Reliability
All-weather performance
Handling
Safety
Fuel Economy
Comfort
Lead poisoning
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
93-98 its not even close. much better than even the admittedly good 65-70

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

If you don't care about:
Braking
Reliability
All-weather performance
Handling
Safety
Fuel Economy
Comfort
Lead poisoning
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feel this was the pinnacle of car design.

If you don't care about:
Braking
Reliability
All-weather performance
Handling
Safety
Fuel Economy
Comfort
Lead poisoning
 All of those can be upgraded except safety and lead poisoning.   Unless of course you cage it and don't lick the paint.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:54:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
 All of those can be upgraded except safety and lead poisoning.   Unless of course you cage it and don't lick the paint.
View Quote

Lol, best cars ever designed once you modernize everything about them.

I like classic cars. I even own some, but new cars are objectively better in basically every way except possibly the way they look which of course isn’t objective at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like classic cars. I even own some, but new cars are objectively better in basically every way except possibly the way they look which of course isn't objective at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like classic cars. I even own some, but new cars are objectively better in basically every way except possibly the way they look which of course isn't objective at all.
 I never said they were the best cars designed.   Thanks and rowing through a 4 speed with a big block is something everyone should experience.  A late model milf missle rav four was one of toyotas fastest car for a while. They all have there place.  No rav 4 is going to make panties drop.   That 4-4-2 will.  Been there done that.

Edit because I may have been a bit harsh hell yeah the turbo cars now a days accelerate faster and will do a slalom course and have better crash safety crash than any old 70's car. They wont make the girls wetter though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:30:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
1987-1992:

Sports/muscle cars- Ford Mustang, Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe, Nissan 300ZX, Buick Grand National/GNX, Chevy Camaro

Small trucks- Nissan Hardbody, Toyota Tacoma

Full Size trucks- Ford
View Quote

This is exactly the window I was considering.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

In summary, all of these cars may be great on Gran Turismo, and they may have been the wet dream for teens of the era, but none will be really memorable or collector cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

968 - Unmemorable, unreliable
Corrado - Jellybean generic design trash compared to the Guigario-styled (IIRC) Scirocco that preceded it
SC 400 - Girl's car, weak performer
Eclipse GSX  - Trash. Seen one on the road lately? Hardly any survived their 2nd/3rd owner, and styling was generic
3000 GT vr4 - Too heavy and complex, both mechanically and design. Ahead of its time in some ways, but won't endure as a classic.
GTiR - Meh, the ones that came after exceeded it by so much that it will be forgotten
R32 Skyline - the only potentially enduring classic on the list, and not sold here
Supra  - A70 car was a boulevardier, and not much of a performance car. A case can be made for the '93-up car for sure
Mazda rotary garbage - GTU was a better purist sports car than anything on this list, as was the Turbo II, but neither was really the pace setter that the 1st gen was and the next gen would be
WRX  - Didn't come here until 2002, first overseas-only ones weren't much to look at
Etc

In summary, all of these cars may be great on Gran Turismo, and they may have been the wet dream for teens of the era, but none will be really memorable or collector cars.

Demonstratable false. Look up what prices MKIV Supras and FD RX-7s go for.

I'd say mid-90s, too.  Computerized fuel injection was figured out and they got the power up to match the EPA\CARB emissions restrictions.  But it was also before so much bullshit was added.  F355 was a pure sports car with a simple mechanical transmission and no driving aids.  Cars were powerful and light, handled well, were reliable and comfortable.  Even for domestics like the SN95 Mustang and the F-body, C5 Vette near the end.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#12]
My favorite two 65-70 cars are the 69 boss 429 mustang, and the 69 Dodge Charger.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:58:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I for one have always had a special place in my heart for the Brougham era of the late 70s and 80s.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 5:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I just want to go on record, again, and say that the fox body Mustang is second only to the abortion that is the Mach E as the worst Mustang. Fox bodys are trash, cope.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I for one have always had a special place in my heart for the Brougham era of the late 70s and 80s.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/EyRBe/s1/bid-on-a-1978-lincoln-continental-mark-v.jpg
View Quote

They were like driving your living room.
The back seat was a good place too.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#17]
The Mustang S550 cars are sexy
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Ooopsy
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Being in high school 78-82 when the 65-70 cars were 10+ years old and very affordable there were lots of them.
Bought this when I was 15 for $900. It was dark green, paid $300 to get it painted red. Base 383 with typical bolt ons.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm talking about leaded gas which killed thousands of people, not the paint.

Also, upgrading everything about an old design doesn't make the old design good.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Nostalgia is a dangerous drug.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The golden age was when an average kid could buy his own car, take it apart, learn to build and modify an engine, transmission, change gears, make it faster, understand it, know how it works.

How many people these days own a timing light or tools to work on a carb?

Hell, you can barely change oil without scan tools and computers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All the current muscle cars and SUV’s are outstanding and the current Corvette is breathtaking. Etc, etc, etc….
We are in golden age for car design and performance .

The golden age was when an average kid could buy his own car, take it apart, learn to build and modify an engine, transmission, change gears, make it faster, understand it, know how it works.

How many people these days own a timing light or tools to work on a carb?

Hell, you can barely change oil without scan tools and computers.

Had to buy a timing light last summer for a  88 Toyota pickup 22r  
   69 Bronco sport in the garage

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#23]
1969 Stingray... if I ever get a weekend car it'll be this;Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nostalgia is a dangerous drug.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#25]
85-90 German cars.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Yeah, that period was probably peak design/styling. Especially in some of the European exotics.   Of course, pay no attention to the mechanical or electrical systems

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#27]
1970 was the pinnacle of automotive design.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also, upgrading everything about an old design doesn't make the old design good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad I thought you were talking about the lead filler in the body work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Now?

Modern everyday cars beat the supercars and hypercars of years of old. I can see quite a few of todays designs ending up being timeless / sought after by the current crop of car owners for years to come..

Yeah yeah yeah all electronics and plastics, but the materials are the best they've ever been not to mention safer, and last longer to boot.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#31]
That is a hard period of time to beat for cars and it really was not that long. The looks of the cars and the designs were amazing. The quality and performance were mostly dog shit. As I crawl around my 1969 Mustang Mach 1 and 1970 Dodge Charger R/T, you can see where they cut corners and did some cheesy things just to send a car out. The performance is really meh unless you have one of the very few top of the line vehicles. Even then, it was mostly in straight line performance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#32]
55-70 produced some sexy cars. ~1997-today have some great cars.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
nothing tops 65-70
and nothing is worse than mid-70s to mid-80s
View Quote

Unless you go to vehicles not sold in the United States such as the Alfa Romeo Montreal
" />
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I would choose 68-72. All MOPARs odd course.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm really partial to '67-'71, with '69 probably being the pinnacle year for muscle cars.

But I've got a special place in my heart for '55-'58 as well, with '57 being a tough year to beat.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I just want to go on record, again, and say that the fox body Mustang is second only to the abortion that is the Mach E as the worst Mustang. Fox bodys are trash, cope.
View Quote

I agree with this statement.

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm really partial to '67-'71, with '69 probably being the pinnacle year for muscle cars.

But I've got a special place in my heart for '55-'58 as well, with '57 being a tough year to beat.  
View Quote

I couldn't decide between 68-72 and 67-71.

68 is the first year for the new Chevelle, Dodges
67 is the new Camaro, Mustang
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
first four years of Shelby Mustangs and Fastbacks

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 11:37:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I've always loved the 67 Mercury Cougar

Link Posted: 3/15/2023 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Best years in my book for Impalas. Except the 1961. ‘61 is best looking Impala.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 6:42:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Never thought of it, but no, there is not.

You could buy all of these between 1965-70.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top